Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alnilam

Andrew Lloyd Weber's JC Superstar is an incredible piece of music. I haven' t seen the production or the movie but the studio album is really really good. And I am not a religious dude or anything. I think this album deserves attention from the non-religious crowd.

A few cool things:
-awesomew music and vocals including the guy fomr deep purple
-it has a cool treatment of the new testament as a piece of literature rather than a spiritual work
-it takes some angles on the story that mainstream christianity does not, including judas as a sympathetic/tragic character who was torn about what was best for his people (since I didn't grow up learning much about christianity, I assumed everyone thought this about judas and was surprised to learnn that most denominations think he's the biggest dick ever??), and jesus as a guy who is all mopey in a cool way like "man I have all these ideas but am i really getting through to anyone :smith:", and even the people who tortured/killed jesus were sort of unwilling to do so but forced by their positions in the world (or by god???)
-when they wrote the music it was originally about like kansas or something and then they were like "hmm could be cool to make it about jesus idk"

anyway let's have a non-religious discussion of jesus christ superstar, and if you haven't listened to it do yourself a favor and check it out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

i have been in jesus christ superstar as a paid performer

jesus christ superstar paid my rent for one month

ron color
the movie is good, they all show up on a bus its good

tyler

alnilam posted:

Andrew Lloyd Weber's JC Superstar is an incredible piece of music. I haven' t seen the production or the movie but the studio album is really really good. And I am not a religious dude or anything. I think this album deserves attention from the non-religious crowd.

A few cool things:
-awesomew music and vocals including the guy fomr deep purple
-it has a cool treatment of the new testament as a piece of literature rather than a spiritual work
-it takes some angles on the story that mainstream christianity does not, including judas as a sympathetic/tragic character who was torn about what was best for his people (since I didn't grow up learning much about christianity, I assumed everyone thought this about judas and was surprised to learnn that most denominations think he's the biggest dick ever??), and jesus as a guy who is all mopey in a cool way like "man I have all these ideas but am i really getting through to anyone :smith:", and even the people who tortured/killed jesus were sort of unwilling to do so but forced by their positions in the world (or by god???)
-when they wrote the music it was originally about like kansas or something and then they were like "hmm could be cool to make it about jesus idk"

anyway let's have a non-religious discussion of jesus christ superstar, and if you haven't listened to it do yourself a favor and check it out!

I've always avoided it. I will give it a watch tomorrow.

alnilam

Bo-Pepper posted:

haha that's cool who were you

posting smiling

Bo-Pepper posted:

ha! bo pepper is a thespian!

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9ALiADrJro

best song in the world

alnilam

alnilam

lol wow the movie sounds way diff than the studio album, i like it but it's p different so i'd say it's worth checking out the studio album too

i should really watch the movie

alnilam

also alice cooper covered it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6NSVrXQfvc

Afro Doug

My mind is clearer now...
At last all to well
I can see where we all soon will be...
If you strip away
the myth from the man
you will soon
see where we all
soon will be

Afro Doug

[Insert your name here]!!!
You started to belive the things they said of you
you really do believe this talk of god is truuue-uuue!!!!!

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

alnilam posted:

haha that's cool who were you

i was annas the weasely pharisee

alnilam

Bo-Pepper posted:

i was annas the weasely pharisee

lol is he the one who's all "quick caiaphus, go call the roman guard!"

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

yup i still have recordings of the production but oh ho ho how embarrassing

precision

by VideoGames
the movie version is legit one of my top 10 movies of all eternity

judas songs kick rear end

The X-man cometh
This is the best version
http://youtu.be/Bxfxfh9w44g

alnilam

ha that's aweomse bopep, i'd insist you post the recording cause i bet it's awesome, but i respect not wanting to dox yourslef

Afro Doug

The movie was very good, and very campy. I loved it.

precision

by VideoGames
the first toem i saw that king herod song i was roflmao

and also ripped to hte tits

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

alnilam posted:

ha that's aweomse bopep, i'd insist you post the recording cause i bet it's awesome, but i respect not wanting to dox yourslef

actually i listened to one it's still not exactly what i'd call professional but it's fun where do you upload music for crap like that again?

alnilam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t14S_JtkV3c
studio version of judas' death, the vocals are amazing esp around 1:30, murray head fuckinmg kills it

alnilam

Bo-Pepper posted:

actually i listened to one it's still not exactly what i'd call professional but it's fun where do you upload music for crap like that again?

idk i think ppl use soundcloud or sth?

i am he

vocaroo is commonly used

Afro Doug

alnilam posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t14S_JtkV3c
studio version of judas' death, the vocals are amazing esp around 1:30, murray head fuckinmg kills it

the reintroduction of mary magdaline's theme indicates that jesus had sexy feelings about judas and is possibly a queerio

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

here is bo-pepper singing almost twenty years ago i'm the second guy who comes in

alnilam

Afro Doug posted:

the reintroduction of mary magdaline's theme indicates that jesus had sexy feelings about judas and is possibly a queerio

:eyepop:

that reminds me of another great thing about this album: disc 2 is entirely comprised of the same motifs as disc 1, you may call this lazy songwriting but i think it works really well and anyway is a common feature of classic opera

also disc 1 and disc 2 contrast quite a lot thematically, disc 1 is "everything's going great though ppl are starting to worry about stuff" and disc 2 opens right up with "welp i, jesus, am about to be captured and killed :(" and the whole disc is the same music but instead of being all "woo jesus" it's all "boo jesus"

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

i actually still think our jesus' version of gethsemane is legitimately great

alnilam

these are pretty rad bopep thanks for ashare :)
in case anyone else is having weird trubs getting hte files here are the direct links that worked better for me
track 04 (bo pep sings)
track 01 gesthsemane feat. jesus

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

if anyone wants to hear a specific track let me know i do not guarantee broadway level quality

please know this was performed and recorded with headset mics in a north carolina amphitheater often on top of rickety scaffolding

alnilam

bo pep did you also sing in Blood Money feat judas is scary ot?

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

alnilam posted:

bo pep did you also sing in Blood Money feat judas is scary ot?

yup though i'm not a huge fan of our lady judas' vocals

alnilam

"iiiiii don't need this recording"

"that doesn't matter, the music is good"

"iiiiii don't want this recording"

"well you might as well :justpost: it, we think that you should"

alnilam

whether or not you post it no bigs, let's hear it for bo peps thespian everyone :golfclap:

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

in for a penny in for a pound

Blood Money

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

burp

alnilam

judas isn't bad! it sounds like she's a victim of mid-tier recording and it probably sounded better live but idk

obv bo peps shines as annas in this track when he comes in all "cut the protesting! forget the excuses!"

okay i'm going to bed thank you for sharing though bo peppers! and thank the rest of you for discussing this early 70s treasure

alnilam

think you uploaded the wrong one there but that's a really good version of everything's alright :3:

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

alnilam posted:

think you uploaded the wrong one there but that's a really good version of everything's alright :3:

well gently caress what the hell gimme a sec

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

okay this is actually king herod listen to this weird thing

• Locked thread