Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
But then, Marie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Excels posted:

It's funny because your dates with Liz are much longer and more entertaining than any of the actual Social Link scenes. She deserved her own Link, but there's probably some plot reason why that wouldn't make sense (like she "doesn't technically exist" or something)

And yet Marie is the Aeon link for P4. :colbert:

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Captain Walker posted:

But then, Marie.

As far as I have come to understand Marie she isn't technically a "real" Velvet Room Resident. They're keeping her around because she has some weird destiny aura around her and Margaret finds her amusing. But she's more "physically real" than the Velvet folks. The Velvet Room people are sort of metaphysical.

e: VVV but also margaret, i forgot about that. well i'm sure SOMEONE up at Atlus had a real good reason not to make Liz a link.... assumably

Excels fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 28, 2014

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Captain Walker posted:

But then, Marie.

Margaret would be a better counterargument, since she was the Empress S.Link in Vanilla P4 rather than stapled on and given an S.Link after the fact.

Su-Su-Sudoko
Oct 25, 2007

what stands in the way becomes the way

Maybe they just didn't want to add two new arcanas to the game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It probably has to do with the time frame of the game and they didn't think to make a real s-link not take up time, unlike in P4 with Margaret. Would you even have time to complete them all if there was another link in the game? That's my guess, anyway.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

It probably has to do with the time frame of the game and they didn't think to make a real s-link not take up time, unlike in P4 with Margaret. Would you even have time to complete them all if there was another link in the game? That's my guess, anyway.

No, actually to get Orpheus Telos on your first run you need to follow an extremely rigid schedule and FAQ.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Shin Megami Tensei IV is finally hitting Europe in September.

quote:

Irvine, Calif. -- July 30, 2014 -- ATLUS' renowned RPG for the Nintendo 3DS™, Shin Megami Tensei IV, is making its way to Europe later this year as a digital download title for just €19.99/£17.99. And by later this year, we mean sometime in September; all the DLC will be available as well, except for the North America retailer-exclusive pre-order bonus armor.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

That's not bad at €20 for it. Is the DLC worth getting?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Golden Goat posted:

That's not bad at €20 for it. Is the DLC worth getting?

I bought the money and AP grinding ones because it made screwing around with demon fusion easier.

I didn't attempt the DLC bosses, but if you finish the game and want more challenges they're there for you, and while the DLC armor doesn't offer anything especially interesting from a gameplay perspective, some of it looks kinda neat.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

The grinding DLC is great for removing tedium from the game, which is pretty great all things considered. The DLC fights offer a little bit of backstory for the story, so it's good if you're willing to brave a challenging fight for it. The armor DLC is eh, but I did buy one that looked like the demon Asmodeus because his design was absolutely amazing to me.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

TurnipFritter posted:

Shin Megami Tensei IV is finally hitting Europe in September.

That's actually pretty cool. I feared it'd cost the price of a brand new game with no DLC, just to piss off the European fanbase even more but glad to see Atlus realize it's a game that should have been out in Europe far earlier than it was.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Fortitude posted:

That's actually pretty cool. I feared it'd cost the price of a brand new game with no DLC, just to piss off the European fanbase even more but glad to see Atlus realize it's a game that should have been out in Europe far earlier than it was.

Had they actually finished the translation it probably would have been. Since this is just the US version with a few minor fixes, they probably could afford to make it cheaper.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
I'd say the App Points one is worth getting it makes the game a breeze, though. So that's your call.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I was planning on skipping SMTIV if it was going to be a retail-priced digital game, but that price is... actually pretty good.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Yeah. Colour me shocked as well. Good move by Nintendo there, putting it out at that price.

Makes the idea of buying the DLC much more appealing too.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

So when I got my Vita I took the advice of every thread in this forum and got Persona 4 Golden with it. Then I saw people saying I should get Persona 3 Portable and play that first, so I dutifully bought that too and have left P4G in its box waiting for me.

I finally got round to playing P3P and holy poo poo, I love this game. Something about the combo of Japanese high school life simulator and shooting-yourself-to-unleash-demons simulator is just really compelling. And P4G is supposed to be straight-up better than this in every way too? I'm super excited for P4G now, too :)

One question though: do I need to keep Orpheus around for any particular purpose, or can I just fuse the gently caress out of him and move on? I've been fusing the other personas like mad just to see what I can get and to attempt to make good skill combos; I'm assuming this is the right way to go since the game seems to incentivise this by letting you make high-level personas immediately through fusion rather than levelling their slow asses up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

thorsilver posted:

So when I got my Vita I took the advice of every thread in this forum and got Persona 4 Golden with it. Then I saw people saying I should get Persona 3 Portable and play that first, so I dutifully bought that too and have left P4G in its box waiting for me.

I finally got round to playing P3P and holy poo poo, I love this game. Something about the combo of Japanese high school life simulator and shooting-yourself-to-unleash-demons simulator is just really compelling. And P4G is supposed to be straight-up better than this in every way too? I'm super excited for P4G now, too :)

One question though: do I need to keep Orpheus around for any particular purpose, or can I just fuse the gently caress out of him and move on? I've been fusing the other personas like mad just to see what I can get and to attempt to make good skill combos; I'm assuming this is the right way to go since the game seems to incentivise this by letting you make high-level personas immediately through fusion rather than levelling their slow asses up.

Nope. No reason to keep him around. You don't need to have any Persona that you've outlived unless you want it. You'll get a Compendium that lets you resummon old persona if you need them for a special fusion. Leveling Persona up is only worth it if you want a skill (or skill card) from them.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

thorsilver posted:

And P4G is supposed to be straight-up better than this in every way too? I'm super excited for P4G now, too :)

People disagree about whether it's better overall. Whichever way you feel about the story though, the ease of use enhancements are great.

thorsilver posted:

That's right. Feel free to get rid of him. Fusion really is the beating heart of the game. Basically every other system plays into that in some way. Have you got the compendium yet? If not, you could hold onto him until then, that allows you resummon Personas later for a cost. It is possible that Orpheus starts registered though, I can't remember.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

When do the exam results post in P4G? I'm in the TV world for the first time after Kanji enters and I don't think the game gives you a single chance to check the scores on the first floor.

e: Alright, they posted them 2 days later. Jeeze, it takes 2 weeks to grade a high school exam, Japan?

al-azad fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jul 31, 2014

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Isn't Orpheus + Apsaras combo spell the best all-party healing + evasion boost for a while?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SelenicMartian posted:

Isn't Orpheus + Apsaras combo spell the best all-party healing + evasion boost for a while?

That isn't in P3P, it's replaced by usable items.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

My personal vote is pick a Persona you really like and then just slap a bunch of Elemental spell cards on it plus whatever else. Grind up their magic at the arcade and viola, you never need to fuse for the whole game. i took a lv8 persona all the way to the end of the game :smuggo: it was like lv 80

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

ImpAtom posted:

Nope. No reason to keep him around. You don't need to have any Persona that you've outlived unless you want it. You'll get a Compendium that lets you resummon old persona if you need them for a special fusion. Leveling Persona up is only worth it if you want a skill (or skill card) from them.

OK cool, glad I'm on the right track :) I've got the Compendium (I managed to play this game for 12 hours in two days!) so I guess I can always retrieve him if I need him to fuse something or other.

CottonWolf posted:

People disagree about whether it's better overall. Whichever way you feel about the story though, the ease of use enhancements are great.

Works for me, even if it was exactly the same as P3P I'm sure I'd go nuts for it at this point, so any improvements at all combined with nicer visuals on the Vita sounds like heaven to me. Honestly an RPG hasn't grabbed me like this for a long time!

quote:

That's right. Feel free to get rid of him. Fusion really is the beating heart of the game. Basically every other system plays into that in some way. Have you got the compendium yet? If not, you could hold onto him until then, that allows you resummon Personas later for a cost. It is possible that Orpheus starts registered though, I can't remember.

Just FYI for anyone else wondering about the Orpheus issue: I'd already fusioned him away before getting the Compendium unlocked and he was in there anyway. That's actually what led me to ask this, since I suddenly thought 'oh I chucked that fucker out and he's in the Compendium, maybe the game is trying to tell me he's important'

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Persona 5s marketing strategy seems really weird to me. I can't think of another game marketed with zero info up til maybe 3 months before its release. Like not even a non-chair picture.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Thundercracker posted:

Persona 5s marketing strategy seems really weird to me. I can't think of another game marketed with zero info up til maybe 3 months before its release. Like not even a non-chair picture.

I think the original P4 has a really barebones marketing campaign too. It's been ages and I was too busy trying to scrap up enough money for a shiny new PS3 at the time, so I might be wrong but I seriously don't remember any big push anywhere.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Excels posted:

No, actually to get Orpheus Telos on your first run you need to follow an extremely rigid schedule and FAQ.

Or you can just do a NG+ so you don't have to spend time maxing your stats. Starting off with 6/6/6 Charm/Academics/Courage makes maxing all the links so much easier.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Basically everyone who's going buy P5 already knows they're going to buy P5. Surely that game basically markets itself.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Yeah at this point any person who calls themselves a fan of Atlus already knows and loves Persona, either for the characters or the gameplay or both. They haven't made a bad mainline game for a pretty long time

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I still wish they'd at least give a bit more info. Like I appreciate that they're doing the exact opposite of the AAA strategy of overhyping poo poo like crazy, but I at least want something more to go on.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Tokyo Game Show's in 2 months so Atlus will probably push out a ton of trailers and information then.

Or they'll just drop the reveal in a random issue of Famitsu, because magazines are apparently still viable news in Japan.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

famitsu reviews are notoriously influenced by bribes too lmao they gave FF13 like a perfect score or something and everyone flipped out

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
It's kinda obvious. Like, every big release gets a 36+ score at least and those from smaller companies or ones too "poor" always seem to get scored differently.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Thundercracker posted:

Blood Dragon was announced a month before it came out.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
There's quite a few games that are still in development that have had like no information in the past year, lest I remind some of you it's been a year and we still have no info on a certain crossover. It seems to be rather typical for this sort of thing to happen too, at least as of late. Then again, this game actually had a release date attached to it, so it's very interesting.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 31, 2014

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

MonsieurChoc posted:

Blood Dragon was announced a month before it came out.

Blood Dragon was an April Fools joke that happened to be real. And awesome.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

p4 golden anime is really pulling all the stops with the animation lately:

on the other hand, i fuckin love these bumper images

Excels fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 1, 2014

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Excels posted:

p4 golden anime is really pulling all the stops with the animation lately:

Kanji.... WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOUR FAAAAACCCCCEEE?!

Is this a Studio Pierrot project?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Jimbot posted:

Kanji.... WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOUR FAAAAACCCCCEEE?!

Is this a Studio Pierrot project?

Studio A1, I think?

Also that Persona Ouendan bumper image is the best thing. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I was confused as to who the blonde girl in the second picture was, but then I realized. That's Teddie, isn't it?