Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Eggie posted:

You're a greater man than I. Or a crazy person. After struggling through the first two discs, I gave up at the beginning of Disc 3 when I played FF9 Unleashed. There are bad aspects to FF9's combat that are only apparent when you're presented with a challenge level that vanilla FF9 never provides, like ATB meters filling up during long attacks and enemies queueing up attacks while you're selecting yours. Maybe you'll like Unleashed but I can't see many people enjoying it. It's way too hard.

I'm loving it! Vanilla Final Fantasy IX was just way, way too easy, and this is a nice change. Some battles are bullshit tough and it took a long time for Vivi to resist getting instagibbed when coughed on. The Magician's Robe was a big help there (I cannot imagine playing this without Chocobo H&C rewards), but really it was the fault of my own carelessness. You really need to be aware of things you never gave a second thought about in Vanilla, such as using Cover and Protect Girls and swapping up equipment based on the spells used in some areas (enemies on the Conde Petie Mountain Path are fond of Blizara, for example, which you can defend yourself against with the Madain's Ring you can synth in Black Mage Village). Something the game does not tell you is that some equipment gives you elemental weaknesses (e.g. Cotton Robes make you weak to fire), which is bullshit but not really important in the vanilla game. It's the main reason why Vivi was so die-happy in the early game as a lot of enemies like to use fire.

As for the ATB system, you are almost in complete control of it as long as it's set to Wait. As soon as someone's turn comes up, open the skill or items menu or whatever. Game time, including enemy ATB, grinds to a halt as long as you're in the middle of making a command. It gives you time to think and/or wait out long attacks so you don't have to leave any party members waiting unless you're strategically keeping them on standby for defense purposes. Playing this with the ATB set to Active is just asking for trouble.

Oh, and if you're not willing to take the time to learn Blue Magic, then Quina-mandatory segments will be incredibly hard for you. Magic Hammer, White Wind, and Pyro (replaces Limit Glove in Unleashed) got me out of many tricky spots, especially during the Burmecia/Cleyra plot where recruiting Quina is optional. If you have no patience for learning Blue Magic, you should consider at least learning the three aforementioned.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Looks like SE is gearing up to make a Prequel Trilogy to one of their franchises.

Is there any reason to think that it will not involve XIII? Probably not. :smith:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'm betting it's for FF4 since they've run out of consoles to port FF4 and TAY to.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Agreeing with Mega64, I'd bet hard on FF4. As long as it is even a little competent, it'll make them easy money in Japan and they'll port it to every platform that exists.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I wonder if it's Kingdom Hearts.

They had a trailer a while back for "Birth By Sleep Volume 2" which mysteriously vanished into the ether.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Gonna be FFI playing as the failed warriors who got turned into bats.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I'd like to pretend that the trademark doesn't identify prequels to what because it's actually a trilogy of prequels to different games. FFX prequel with Auron, Jecht, and Braska. A FF5 prequel with the Xezat, Galuf, Bartz' dad, and werewolf guy. Take your pick for number 3.

Hahaha... yeah right, it'll be FFXIII.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The World Ends With You, please.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I wonder if it's Kingdom Hearts.

They had a trailer a while back for "Birth By Sleep Volume 2" which mysteriously vanished into the ether.
I'd be A-okay with an Aqua trilogy.

Endorph posted:

The World Ends With You, please.
Or this, assuming Square doesn't gently caress it up.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Schwartzcough posted:

I'd like to pretend that the trademark doesn't identify prequels to what because it's actually a trilogy of prequels to different games. FFX prequel with Auron, Jecht, and Braska. A FF5 prequel with the Xezat, Galuf, Bartz' dad, and werewolf guy. Take your pick for number 3.

Hahaha... yeah right, it'll be FFXIII.

FFVI prequel about the War of the Magi.

Also for FFV you could probably get a more interesting prequel out of the battle with Enuo that split the world.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I can think of a lot of games they could get one prequel game out of, but a trilogy? That's really hard to imagine.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain

Krad posted:

Looks like SE is gearing up to make a Prequel Trilogy to one of their franchises.

Is there any reason to think that it will not involve XIII? Probably not. :smith:

I'm probably alone, but I think the world of FF13 is interesting and I'd like to see more games within that world (done by competent people).

Flytrap posted:

Gonna be FFI playing as the failed warriors who got turned into bats.

Now you see, I would love to play the long-running adventures of a bat quartet of warriors. They wouldn't even need an airship- the player has access to air travel right out the gate. Potential!

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Schwartzcough posted:

A FF5 prequel with the Xezat, Galuf, Bartz' dad, and werewolf guy.

Oh man, they even have a perfect name for it:

Final Fantasy V: From Dusk 'Til Dawn Warriors.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Krad posted:

If it's 13 I will flip many tables in a rage.

Because that means there has been 6 Final Fantasy 13 games, nearly half the amount of games in the original mainline series.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

ImpAtom posted:

I can think of a lot of games they could get one prequel game out of, but a trilogy? That's really hard to imagine.

Gotta milk that teat.

You just know they're gonna mishandle whatever it ends up as. :smith:

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Whatever series it turns out to be it's probably going to be an episodic mobile game. If they're actually planning to make something worthwhile it will be a guaranteed seller like Kingdom Hearts.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
You know what would be neat (and therefore will probably never happen)? Single-player prequels for either FFXI or FFXIV. That way people who don't want to deal with the hassle of buying in-game time for an MMO can still experience some stories set in those worlds.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

VII could handle 3. The Cetra when Jenova landed and the aftermath, the war in Wutai, and (insert totally not Crisis Core here).

Let VII rest please, but it could happen.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Ugh. I just hit my first "This really needs to be changed" gripe about FFIX: Unleashed. The Zidane vs. Amarant fight. The only way to keep up with the damage dealt to you is with an Auto-Potion + Hi-Potion combination, and then it just becomes an endurance game where the only measure of "endurance" is how many Hi-Potions you have in stock.

It took two Trances (five Scoop Arts)*, FORTY Hi-Potions, and countless attacks in between to finally take him down. I wish I timed it. :shepicide:

* EDIT: I did not have High Tide equipped.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 30, 2014

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FFVIII prequel trilogy. The best part is literally every bit of it can conflict with FFVIII and it'd still fit.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

W.T. Fits posted:

You know what would be neat (and therefore will probably never happen)? Single-player prequels for either FFXI or FFXIV. That way people who don't want to deal with the hassle of buying in-game time for an MMO can still experience some stories set in those worlds.

As much as I'd love to have sidestory games set in those worlds, 11 and 14 both have pretty well set their prequel hooks as something that the player character in the current age has either already explored or will be dealing with. I have a hard time thinking of anything of interest for 11 in particular because the Crystal War has been laid out fairly extensively; they'd have to dig back into the Ages of Magic or Power on that one but at that point it's kind of like "Why bother?"

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Barudak posted:

FFVIII prequel trilogy. The best part is literally every bit of it can conflict with FFVIII and it'd still fit.

One of those games would be Laguna's Excellent Adventure and I'm ok with that.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

Ugh. I just hit my first "This really needs to be changed" gripe about FFIX: Unleashed. The Zidane vs. Amarant fight. The only way to keep up with the damage dealt to you is with an Auto-Potion + Hi-Potion combination, and then it just becomes an endurance game where the only measure of "endurance" is how many Hi-Potions you have in stock.

It took two Trances (five Scoop Arts)*, FORTY Hi-Potions, and countless attacks in between to finally take him down. I wish I timed it. :shepicide:

* EDIT: I did not have High Tide equipped.

That sounds really bad but are there things like this for the other PS1 FF games? I thought it was just VI that has a billion romhacks but it'd be cool to play a harder version of VIII

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

A mobile prequel trilogy for Final Fantasy XV, where you look after and design clothes for a teenage prince with magic powers. If they can get all three games out before XV, then do they count as prequels?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Help Im Alive posted:

That sounds really bad but are there things like this for the other PS1 FF games? I thought it was just VI that has a billion romhacks but it'd be cool to play a harder version of VIII

I believe there is an Unleashed version of FFVIII. From what I remember of people talking about it, Magic becomes a lot more important as an actual damage tool and you can't just easy Limit your way to victory anymore.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Square Enic announced its line up for Gamescm 2014:

quote:

HD Consoles and PC

FINAL FANTASY® XIV: A REALM REBORN®

Platform: PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system, Windows PC

Developer: Square Enix

Available: Now

FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn is the critically-acclaimed, online role-playing game (MMORPG) set within the troubled realm of Eorzea that is threatened by god-like Primals and the invading armies of Garlemald. Players with the PlayStation®4 system, PlayStation®3 system and Windows PC systems are invited to come together to define their own adventure.

NOSGOTH ™

Platform: Steam/Windows PC

Developer: Psyonix

Available: In Closed Beta

Developed by Psyonix, Nosgoth is a fast paced competitive team-based multiplayer game pitting a variety of brutal humans and vampires in a fight for survival. The two races have very different play styles: Humans have an arsenal of devastating raged weaponry and lethal devices while Vampires specialize in visceral close-up melee attacks augmented by their inhuman abilities. Nosgoth is set in the dark fantasy world of the Legacy of Kain series and is currently in Closed Beta.

LARA CROFT® AND THE TEMPLE OF OSIRIS ™

Platform: Xbox One, PlayStation 4 system, Windows PC

Developer: Crystal Dynamics

Available: Coming Soon

Developed by Crystal Dynamics, Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris is the sequel to the critically-acclaimed Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light. In her new adventure, Lara Croft travels to Egypt and must join forces with rival treasure hunter Carter Bell and imprisoned gods Horus and Isis, to defeat the evil god Set. Featuring a four-player co-op story, players must work together to explore the temple, defeat hordes of enemies from the Egyptian underworld, solve devious puzzles, and avoid deadly traps. All the while, players will compete for treasure, powerful artifacts, and ultimate bragging rights.

KINGDOM HEARTS HD 2.5 ReMIX

Platform: PlayStation®3 system

Available: December 5, 2014

KINGDOM HEARTS HD 2.5 ReMIX is a fully remastered HD compilation of KINGDOM HEARTS II FINAL MIX and KINGDOM HEARTS Birth by Sleep FINAL MIX. Previously exclusive to Japan, both games will be available for the first time in Europe and PAL territories for the PlayStation®3 system. Theatrical cut-scenes from KINGDOM HEARTS Re:coded will also be included in the compilation.

The game is a follow-up to last year’s KINGDOM HEARTS HD 1.5 ReMIX and will also lead into the highly anticipated KINGDOM HEARTS III.

Handheld and Mobile

THEATRHYTHM FINAL FANTASY CURTAIN CALL™

Platform: Nintendo 3DS™ system

Available: September 19, 2014

Combining hallmark FINAL FANTASY music with role playing game (RPG) elements, the new THEATRHYTHM FINAL FANTASY CURTAIN CALL is bursting with new content, including the new “Versus Battle” mode where players can now compete head-to-head with friends and other players. The game also includes 221 songs and over 60 playable characters from the entire FINAL FANTASY series. Players can relive nostalgic moments as they tap their way through key FINAL FANTASY events, field themes and battle arrangements.

DRAGON QUEST TM VIII: Journey of the Cursed King

Platform: iOS/Android

Available: Now

DRAGON QUEST VIII: Journey of the Cursed King offers players a huge, epic adventure in a deep and beautiful world. Eight years since its PlayStation®2 PAL release and for the first time in the game’s history, fans can experience this epic adventure in a brand new touch-screen environment, featuring beautiful graphics and a redeveloped, refined control scheme optimised for both single-handed and two-handed play on touch devices. Players can use the Auto button to quickly and easily navigate around the expansive game field and smoothly fight through battles with a single button.

DRAGON QUEST TM IV: Chapters of the Chosen

Platform: iOS/Android

Available: TBC

Get ready to journey through the lands, seas and skies of the vibrant DRAGON QUEST world with DRAGON QUEST IV: Chapters of the Chosen, an exciting new mobile version of the NES title DRAGON QUEST IV originally released in 1990 in Japan and recently updated for the Nintendo DS in 2008. The game includes five chapters to discover and a host of colourful characters to keep you company and battle by your side. Players can journey through the epic environments using all-new touch-screen controls.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/pressreleases/222187/Square_Enix_goes_massive_at_gamescom_2014.php

It's mostly a mobile/online line up. So DQ4 has been announced for a ios/Android for Western countries. Still no sign of DQ7 for the 3DS.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
If it's overly optimistic speculation time, I pick a prequel trilogy for Secret of Mana.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Prequel trilogy to Brave Fencer Musashi as an apology for Samurai Legend Musashi. As one of the ten people on Earth that was looking forward to SLM, the wounds are still fresh and S-E must make amends. :colbert:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Sunning posted:

Square Enic announced its line up for Gamescm 2014:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/pressreleases/222187/Square_Enix_goes_massive_at_gamescom_2014.php

It's mostly a mobile/online line up. So DQ4 has been announced for a ios/Android for Western countries. Still no sign of DQ7 for the 3DS.

So basically a bunch of games we already know about or have already been released and a mobile version of DQ4 (kinda cool but eh). No sign of FF15. I have this creeping feeling FF15 is never going to come out.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

You'd think Square would have learned their lesson on development cycles after the whole 13 fiasco (seriously, if you read about the development cycle it's a miracle we even got a game at all out of 13), but apparently not. I really hope they can adapt to modern game development because despite the flaws of their recent stuff I managed to have a pretty good time with it.

It's just sad to see a company you loved as a kid struggle to put out games. Not because of low sales, but because they seem to have no idea what to do.

And they better bring over DQ7's remake.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
I don't understand why any of you think this prequel trilogy could be for anything other than Mario Hoops 3-on-3.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Krad posted:

Xenogears is the only answer. It actually has 4 prequel "Episodes" to the main game.

Beef Waifu posted:

The only thing Gackt can do is improve things and improve things he did to Crisis Core and Dirge of Cerberus

People forget Nomura has been designing characters based on Gackt since Squall in FFVIII. I'm pretty sure they just rolled up to his house and threw a big bag of money at hm and said "be in our lovely video game" and he was like "okay." Hence why I feel it's fallacious to say it's a self-insert as he had no real choice in the matter. He didn't write the script.

It's rather bizarre they didn't have a single Gackt song in CC though. Granted, I'd rather Malice Mizer song but what can you do...

Help Im Alive posted:

http://www.insanedifficulty.com/board/index.php?/topic/2922-final-fantasy-viii-requiem-v121/

I invested about 120 hours into this and that's only the actual game tally, not including my numerous deaths and times I had to retry certain things.

Ironically my least favorite FF is now the one I spent the most time on and I owe it all to this mod making the gameplay actually challenging and interesting. I never bothered with Triple Triad in vanilla, I never even came close to learning about the Refining system in any real detail, but here I had to make use of both of them to survive.

And I loved it.

If you do play it, here are some tips from an older post I made on it:

quote:

FFVIII was so easy I never bothered with anything extensive. Thanks tot his mod, I've realized just how layered the combat is and how many items there are in the game. I'm a little over the 100 hours mark before Ulti's Castle, spending about 30 hours just on Disk 1. Half of that was probably Triple Triad.

If you play the mod, make sure to have Card Mod and stock up on some level 3 spells or you're toast against that dragon thing on the top of Dollets Communication Tower. Elvoret or whatever. Magic is also the way to go for most of the game since physical attacks are worthless for a lot of fights unless you have Darkside. Also get the Irvine Card as soon as possible. You will need those three Auto-Hastes against Raijin and Fujin in Balamb. I didn't start the Card Queen sidequest until after Balamb was occupied so I missed out and those two killed me dozens upon dozens of times in the first minute. My only choice was to level grind for a long, long time.

I won't deny some of it comes down to luck - end of Disk 1, Seifer started the boss fight with Flare before I even got a turn. Oneshoted Shell-less Squall. In the subsequent Edea boss fight she used Ultima twice in a row so I couldn't do anything about that. But a good majority of the time it's fair as far as I can tell.

Most Stat% Abilities have been reduced. Highest it goes is Str//Vit/Sp/Mag+30% and HP+40%. Only way to max HP is Ultima Junction and HP+40%

I just beat Ultima Weapon not too long ago. I love everything about FFVIII's Ultima Weapon. He looks badass, he has a great introduction and the music choice for the fight is utterly perfect. Now that he's actually a challenge, I loved him all the more. Had something like 300K HP and took me Triple Casting Ultima for a long, long time to stand a chance.

EDIT:

On the Ragnarok now though... This is absurdly broken. They go in a pattern of rare cards. As long as I keep modding the Gilgamesh Card into the 10 Holy Wars, they will only play him again and again and again. I will have 100 in no time.

You won't need all those Holy Wars against Ultimecia but it be smart to have at least 10 of them, maybe 20. Altogether, the four forms have about 2,000.000 HP and took me about an hour-and-a-half to beat. Well, on my successful run - it took me about 10 or so attempts before I beat her. I gotta tell you. hearing this exact moment of "The Extreme" right as the message popped up "Draw Apocalypse" was unbelievably awesome and tense. After an hour of boss fights I knew that meant I was so close...so close...to victory. It just so happens I lost that attempt but I beat her next time.
I forget my exact party set-up for beating her...I'd recommend Quistis though because her Level 3 Acid is the only easy way to inflict Vit 0 and you will totally want that to speed up the final boss fights.

Of course I've talked to enough people on here to know a lot of them hate the idea thing. It's very likely you will too. But I loved it. It redeemed FFVIII to me. I'd do an LP of it if I was actually funny or smart and my computer didn't suck so horribly.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 30, 2014

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Rand Brittain posted:

If it's overly optimistic speculation time, I pick a prequel trilogy for Secret of Mana.

Considering the quality of 21st century Mana games I wouldn't call that optimism.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Finally pulled the trigger on Bravely Default and everyone is just so darn adorable. :kimchi:

e: 1521 3990 9242 friend code if anyone wants to send me summons and/or abilink.

Chaotic Flame fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 30, 2014

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

The Cetra when Jenova landed

This could actually potentially be pretty cool. I don't trust current Square to make that game at all, but as concepts go, it has merit. You could explore the effects of an apocalypse on a utopian political system and the following societial breakdown.

If they went the VII route, I'd also accept a game where you play purely as Reno doing both police precedural work and shady borderline-mass murdering poo poo.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

CottonWolf posted:

You could explore the effects of an apocalypse on a utopian political system and the following societial breakdown.

Dude they couldn't do that even back when they were good, which depending on who you talked to was either only the first game or never.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The trilogy will be the missing link between FFX and FFVII. The first game will be the far future of Spira where the proliferation of machina has pretty much rendered the planet into some hellish industrial wasteland. "Yevon Was Right" will be the slogan of the main party. The end of the game will be X-2 Shinra's descendant finally perfecting space flight so that the remnants of humanity can flee into space and find a planet where he can use his "drain the planet of its energy" technology.

The second game will be them actually finding Terra (I think that's the official name for the FFVII Planet) and how they interact wtih the native life ie. the Cetra. Space Industrialists vs. Magic Hippies.

Third game is called Crisis from the Skies and is all about Jenova landing and our heroes are some of the last remaining Cetra. Game consists of fleeing to various Cetra settlements and towns only to have them summarily wiped out. Endgame is your group being the last surviving Cetra who have to defeat Jenova as the Final Boss. But since this is some sort of hallowed tradition, you only can seal her as opposed to killing her. It's a dreary ending but at least the Planet is safe and our heroes will carry on the legacy of their race.

Epilogue consists of a cackling Hojo uncovering Jenova's sealed remains.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 30, 2014

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Prequel trilogy to Parasite Eve.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

NikkolasKing posted:

People forget Nomura has been designing characters based on Gackt since Squall in FFVIII. I'm pretty sure they just rolled up to his house and threw a big bag of money at hm and said "be in our lovely video game" and he was like "okay." Hence why I feel it's fallacious to say it's a self-insert as he had no real choice in the matter. He didn't write the script.

WHat are you talking about? Squall is based on River Phoenix, Nomura said as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

bloodychill posted:

So basically a bunch of games we already know about or have already been released and a mobile version of DQ4 (kinda cool but eh). No sign of FF15. I have this creeping feeling FF15 is never going to come out.

I think FFXV will eventually have to come out due to overwhelming pressure from investors to deliver products. FFXIV came out in its disastrous state because Wada wanted a major FF title to come out soon after FFXIII in order to assuage investor fears of tentpole releases taking too long to develop. However, I don't think FFXV will be the blockbuster title they need to revitalize the franchise. We have the same radio silence and evasive answers that marked FFXIII's troubled development.

Silver Striker posted:

You'd think Square would have learned their lesson on development cycles after the whole 13 fiasco (seriously, if you read about the development cycle it's a miracle we even got a game at all out of 13), but apparently not. I really hope they can adapt to modern game development because despite the flaws of their recent stuff I managed to have a pretty good time with it.

It's just sad to see a company you loved as a kid struggle to put out games. Not because of low sales, but because they seem to have no idea what to do.

And they better bring over DQ7's remake.

It's not unusual for once highly regarded developers to self-destruct over time. It could be from changing consumers tastes, advances in technology, increasing developments costs, talent churn, or a combination of these factors. It's especially common for large companies to have a difficult time identifying and reacting trends due to internal inertia.

There were companies like iD Software, LucasArts, and Rareware that were once industry defining and commanded great respect. Now, they're incapable of passing the low bar of releasing decent games. Or they're dead. Doom and Doom 2 were once technical marvels and mega hits that shaped a genre. However, people do not readily expect Doom 4 by the iD Software of today to be a groundbreaking game or just a very good game.

Is it possible that SE's internal Japanese developers are no longer able to compete in the big budget console gaming market? We've already gone through an exceptionally long console generation where almost all of their brands of stagnated if not severely contracted. FFXIV: ARR is the closest they have to a well-received product that is also a commercial success. However, that required the company to kill several internal projects and consolidate their resources in an unsustainable 'all hands on deck' scenario.

A lot of developers have turned to indie games and crowdfunding in order to make games in the same low overhead/headcount environment in which they made their best works. Likewise, I think SE's internal Japanese developer would be better off making games with lower budgets and team sizes. However, the company's management is chasing blockbuster hits for both AAA games and mobile games.