Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Bolivar posted:

But in 2012 Froome did all the domestique poo poo for Wiggings when he could have very easily gone his own way and won the whole thing. He pretty much ran in circles around Wiggings in steep mountain uphill because he was so loving pissed, bored and doped.

People keep saying this, but I think Wiggins would have still beat him since there were so many TT kilometers. If he was on another team with full support then maybe yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Clugg posted:

Sometimes it can be fun to finish with an ITT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWyfb3H7LEg

since we're heading towards the vuelta, this isn't even the closest finish, the 1984 vuelta had a difference of 6 seconds. :)

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Mr.Nice thanks for your amazing work in the thread :v:

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
https://twitter.com/LeviLeipheimer/status/494281086223286273 priceless

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!

peanut- posted:

People's problem with the green jersey seems like it's more to do with Sagan being so exceptional no-one can compete with him, doesn't seem fair to call that "mediocrity". If it was mediocrity there would be a contest.

Sagan is an exceptional wanker, but besides that, people have competed with him and beaten him every time where it matters. Stage wins. Literally no one besides Coquard about 3 times even gave the slightest poo poo about intermediate sprints where as Sagan went into breakaways every day and picked up equivalent points to a stage win. And then proceeded to not win a stage.

People were talking about the KOM being the 'break away' jersey, when that perfectly describes how the green is set up now. Being able to score 50% of the maximum points available just through being in breakaways and being good enough to beat other breakaway guys in an intermediate doesnt necessarily make you the best sprinter.

Of course, its not Sagans fault, its the TdF for having a dumbarsed NASCAR style points system where theres no real benefit for winning stages, especially compared to intermediates.

Two or three 6/4/2 sprints a stage like it used to be was fine until people were like 'those intermediate sprints are useless, the sprinters dont contest because the breakaway guys always pick them up', and then they did this, and now.... no one contests them because the breakaway guys always pick them up. Its just that Sagan is always a breakaway guy.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Dr.Bikini BSc. CEO posted:

Two or three 6/4/2 sprints a stage like it used to be was fine until people were like 'those intermediate sprints are useless, the sprinters dont contest because the breakaway guys always pick them up', and then they did this, and now.... no one contests them because the breakaway guys always pick them up. Its just that Sagan is always a breakaway guy.
I don't know how the ASO got that idea in the first place, Hushovd beat Cavendish in the 2009 green jersey contest by winning 6/4/2 intermediates.
The current intermediate sprints make some sense for flat stages where a sprint finish is guaranteed. Putting a 20 point intermediate sprint after a cat 1 climb on a high mountain stage, though? :psyduck:

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
The green jersey is not, and never has been, for the 'best sprinter'.

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

That's enough! Out of here, you tubs of beer!
Pure sprinters go for stage wins which are prestigious enough. I think Cav gives more of a poo poo about his crazy amounts of those and the Champs-Élysées wins in particular than whether he was wearing green at the time.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Kittel doesn't need a green jersey to let everyone know he's the best sprinter.

His hair does that.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Is it Vuelta time yet?

Also looking forward to our pictures constantly breaking up during US Pro challenge and Phil n Paul saying it's because of the altitude.

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!
You see, a satellite up-link is like a bank account...

And altitude is like a withdrawal slip.

A suitcase is also involved.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

Russian Bear posted:

Is it Vuelta time yet?

Also looking forward to our pictures constantly breaking up during US Pro challenge and Phil n Paul saying it's because of the altitude.

It's not the altitude, it's the 'rarefied air'

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

If anyone cares Alex Dowsett won gold in the Commonwealth Games time trial ahead of Rohan Dennis and Geraint Thomas. If I was David Millar I'd postpone my retirement for another year, he finished 8th

dema
Aug 13, 2006

That's a joke, right?

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006

Tomorrow (August 2) Clasica Ciclista San Sebastian : The only World tour classic in Spain.
Arkale (7,8 km @ 5,8 %) Jaizkibel (2,7 km @ 6,3%) and for the first time, Bordako Tontorra (2,5 km @ 9%)

Previous Winners
2013 | GALLOPIN Tony
2012 | SANCHEZ Luis Leon
2011 | GILBERT Philippe

Website
Start list

Race starts at 11:35am CET. Live from 3:30pm CET

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

dema posted:

That's a joke, right?

Please don't disrespect the legion of strong time triallists produced by the Commonwealth thanks

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Silver was good enough for BMC to get Dennis a transfer from Garmin Sharp!

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006
Gazzetta dello sport : Pantani è stato ucciso, costretto a bere cocaina (Pantani was killed, forced to drink cocaine)

Google translate posted:

The prosecutor of Rimini upheld the complaint of the family reopening the case: the new hypothesis is murder with alteration of the body and places

In other cycling news, Astana signs Boom, Sanchez, Rosa and Malacarne. Bouhanni to Cofidis.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Pretend I posted that smilie that has the ghost shrugging its shoulders and the text "it's a mystery!" next to it, I'm phone posting. Tia

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Sagan's bailed on the San Sebastian.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
That was a nice move by Katusha

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I love the Basque as much as I dislike regular Spaniards. Proper madmen.

speaking of which, if neither Rodriguez or Valverde could win this that would be swell

e: jinxed it, sorry everyone

Smirr fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Aug 2, 2014

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Yates managed to lose both wheels on that accident.

Crystael
Mar 19, 2010
Argh Yates!

In other news, Kreuziger has now, unsurprisingly, been "provisionally suspended" by the UCI. Probably in reaction to the fact that Saxo had said he was going to ride the Vuelta.

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006
Yates still managed to finish the race.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Did you guys see Oleg trolling people?

and second one

https://twitter.com/olegtinkov/status/495321252182364160

https://twitter.com/olegtinkov/status/495326237293035520

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
The Commonwealth games Men's road race is on, 3 Indian riders just crashed into each other.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Must be nice to get motopaced away from chasers. Rest are cooked though. Oh puncture!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They're not even interested in chasing him.

Roobsa
May 1, 2011

Goddamn. I nearly poo poo myself when Big G pulled over for a puncture with less than 5km to go.

What a ride from Scott Thwaites though. Where's he been all season? Net-App/Team BORA will have perked up a bit to his talents after this.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Strongest man won, hats off to him for keeping his cool with the slowest wheel change ever.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

:catstare:

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

The Tour de Pologne seems unable to give a time gap, but when they went through the intermediate sprint just now they showed the time passed down to tenths of a second. Great job.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Now a loving tree crashed on the road. Watch this if you're able to, it's insane

road's covered in hail and a couple of times riders in the break have been nearly blown off their bikes by nasty storm gusts. They HAVE to neutralize this, wow

Smirr fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 3, 2014

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Well that was certainly something :stare:

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

That chainring is missing teeth.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Now the entire goddamn breakaway crashed in a corner. That part's going to be a massacre when the peloton gets there

oh, there we are. Not as bad as I thought, but still some crashes

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Holy poo poo, I don't believe it, Eurosport decided to stay with the cycling coverage to the end in favour of showing some car race!

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Smirr posted:

Now the entire goddamn breakaway crashed in a corner. That part's going to be a massacre when the peloton gets there

oh, there we are. Not as bad as I thought, but still some crashes

It's been pretty silly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Pocket posted:

Holy poo poo, I don't believe it, Eurosport decided to stay with the cycling coverage to the end in favour of showing some car race!

They said that the start there had been delayed by 10 minutes and that's why they were staying on, but it's all a moot point anyway since the feed is dead now, RIP