Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Chaos Did Nothing Wrong

If you kill lots of people you get more things to kill to support the playstyle, and if you ghost you just have to deal with the regular number and get a less satisfying ending because there's no narrative reason Corvo wouldn't be on a murderous rampage. It's not a good/evil system (and no, "a less dark outcome," literally the only thing the game has to say about it, does not mean "less evil"), and this discussion happens literally every time Dishonored comes up in either this or the Dragging Things Down thread, by this point probably more times than Dark Souls complaining ever clogged up the last DTD thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Alright, geez, I'll stop talking about it.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I played pretty conservatively in Dishonored and save scummed even though it wasn't necessary. But when you go all out in this game it's the best.

I froze time, tranq'd three or four guards and ran up to a powering station and took its oil canister off so the tesla coil wouldn't waste me. When time resumed the darts hit their targets and dropped everyone. Such a great moment.

Also I like how Dishonored is built on the Unreal engine but shows its Half Life 2 influence with the oil canisters.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The HL2 influence is everywhere and even more obvious with the architecture and the machinery that looks like what you'd get if the Combine were really into steampunk. This is because they brought in the same guy responsible for HL2's look to design the city.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

triplexpac posted:

I don't know if it counts as a "little thing" but I am loving all the little touches they did in this hack of Final Fantasy 6:

http://www.insanedifficulty.com/board/index.php?/files/file/66-final-fantasy-vi-brave-new-world/

Basically they made it so each character feels like they have a proper "class", and they're not all just magic wielding gods. They also made the random encounters a bit trickier so you can't just mash Fight and get through them

my favourite thing about this hack is that the creator showed up in an LP thread of it, outed himself as a ponyfucker and got banned

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

I hope to god by ponyfucker you mean brony and not Mr Hands

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

He's not just a brony. He, apropos of absolutely nothing at all, shared with the thread that he likes to masturbate to the MLP cast. I mean literally nothing at all, there was no context for it, it's like he was desperate to share his habit of spankin' it to a show about horses for five year old girls.

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013

bunnyofdoom posted:

His exact words were "and this is coming from a guy who looks at clop."

He had absolutely no reason to share that. At all.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

loving internet man. Never stops making me need alcohol.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
So here's what has to be the neatest random bit of graffiti I've seen so far in any video game.

Specifically, it's from Resurrection, a F.E.A.R. mod that's frankly otherwise not very interesting.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

haveblue posted:

The HL2 influence is everywhere and even more obvious with the architecture and the machinery that looks like what you'd get if the Combine were really into steampunk. This is because they brought in the same guy responsible for HL2's look to design the city.

It's not so much the art of the game for me, but Dishonored's technology reminds me of Half Life 2. All the security systems are connected to a power source, namely the whale oil canisters.

They are so obviously made with video-gamey proportions.

They remind me of these.

They're health stations from Sin Episodes. Some of them needed a health canister to work and they're just as clunky as ones in Dishonored. They're derivative of the health stations in Half Life.

I say Half Life 2 instead of Sin because I've played a handful of sourcemods that required you to carry an object to a fixed station to get it to work.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I've been playing Survarium lately, which I made a long effort post about in the STALKER thread. It's in its closed beta as a F2P objective-based arena FPS that's currently hosted purely out of Russia, so it's definitely not for everyone. A little thing I love about it though is that it actually shows you what the matchmaking is doing while you wait for the next match. It shows you an array of bars showing how many players of each level are waiting in the queue, and then highlights the brackets that it's considering to make a match with. So if it's at a time when most aren't playing, you'll see the bracket slowly expand to consider more levels, before it eventually settles on levels 0-9. :v:

Jehde has a new favorite as of 06:03 on Jul 30, 2014

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Male Man posted:

Dishonored with Dark Messiah's kick would be just a few steps away from perfect.

Just give me a semi-linear, first-person dungeon crawler with some good fighting mechanics. Where's Dark Messiah 2, damnit, that game was awesome - nothing else has nailed being such a badass rogue/assassin than the backstab and shadow mechanics in that game. Taking out a big room of orcs by stabbing them and slinking back into the shadows was so much fun.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Inco posted:

my favourite thing about this hack is that the creator showed up in an LP thread of it, outed himself as a ponyfucker and got banned

Well... uh... this doesn't play into the hack does it? I don't want to suddenly be playing some MLP fetish game :(

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Dark Souls II again. While it does largely aim to be its own thing, it doesn't shy away from referencing the original much at all.

One of these instances has the game face you with a series of rickety wooden platforms and ladders, that look ready to collapse at any moment. It's a clear reference to Blighttown, the most hated zone from the original, and while it's fairly short the area is still peppered with player messages of 'This place again!?'.

It ends with a chest. So what item could be at the end of a deliberate flashback to the worst part of the original Dark Souls? A one-off weapon from the original, maybe a little trinket reminiscent of what was in the predecessor zone?

Nope, it's a minor PvP reward item... a Token of Spite. :darksouls:

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

triplexpac posted:

Well... uh... this doesn't play into the hack does it? I don't want to suddenly be playing some MLP fetish game :(

Nah, I don't think there's any pony poo poo in it, I just think it's hilarious

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

One of the things I liked in Knife of Dunwall and the other expansion thing was when you hold rightmouse for the teleport power it freezes time unlike in the main game. The second you let go it goes back to normal speed and you can't do anything when holding it down but it let me make sure the up arrow was on the thing I wanted to get to so I wasn't flailing next to it.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

One way to ruin Dishonored for yourself is to compare the size of a character's hand to his face.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 16:12 on Jul 30, 2014

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Clearly an Outsider trick.

The blink freeze feature even works in midair, so it really expands the possibilities of an already incredibly useful tool.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

One way to ruin Dishonored for yourself is to compare the size of a character's hand to his face.
Oh no everyone in Dunwall has cancer :ohdear:

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Kenny Logins posted:

Oh no everyone in Dunwall has cancer :ohdear:

The unintended side effects of handling whale oil

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Something I just figured out about New Vegas: they did something cool with the "post-nuclear" theme.

The NCR and Legion are fighting over power. But not some giant reactor or power plant, but two sources of renewable energy; Hoover Dam and HELIOS ONE.

I dunno, just thought it was cool.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

LoonShia posted:

Something I just figured out about New Vegas: they did something cool with the "post-nuclear" theme.

The NCR and Legion are fighting over power. But not some giant reactor or power plant, but two sources of renewable energy; Hoover Dam and HELIOS ONE.

I dunno, just thought it was cool.

The developers' theme for New Vegas was "the new world rebuilding itself in the image of the old world" so that was definitely deliberate.

Josh Sawyer still posts in the New vegas thread sometimes, if you're a fan of New Vegas it's totally worth reading his posts to see some of the team's goals while they were making the game and where they think they fell short or totally nailed it.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I love how Saints Row IV handles homie dialogue. When you take 1 homie with you, he/she/it will comment on what the Boss did prior to the game start. When you take 2 homies with you, instead of both of them shouting to the Boss one over another, they all have specific dialogue with each other. Every pair has their own dialogue, and I'm pretty sure some have more then just one. It's a really nice touch, especially because the dialogue is really funny at times.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Kikas posted:

I love how Saints Row IV handles homie dialogue. When you take 1 homie with you, he/she/it will comment on what the Boss did prior to the game start. When you take 2 homies with you, instead of both of them shouting to the Boss one over another, they all have specific dialogue with each other. Every pair has their own dialogue, and I'm pretty sure some have more then just one. It's a really nice touch, especially because the dialogue is really funny at times.

It really adds to replay value too, because there are so many combos of dialogue to hear. Or, if you're lazy (and hate fun), you just hit YouTube up to catch the wonders of pairing Kinzie up with basically any other homie. I lose it every time at how awkward Shaundi gets about Kinzie's questions.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Kikas posted:

Wow I completely missed ALL of that, I barely bothered to use homies

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

triplexpac posted:

Wow I completely missed ALL of that, I barely bothered to use homies

It's a hassle when you're cycling through homies and trying out different combinations. You have to dismiss your whole party, wait until they're far enough away from each other, and then recruit the one you want without triggering the other homies you dismissed. But it's still really cool to see how everyone has opinions on everyone else.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Or you can be even lazier like me and read them all on the Saints Row wiki.

One of my favorites:

quote:

Veteran Child: "A kilt, huh? Heh, heh. That's a bold choice."
Roddy Piper: "Oh really?"
Veteran Child: "It's just, you know, it's a skirt. Not exactly the manliest outfit, especially for taking alien hordes in crime ridden city."
Roddy Piper: "Look man, it's part of my heritage and I'm proud of it. I've had bigger men than you take cracks at me for wearing these colors and I've taken every single one of them to the mat. Just because we're not in the ring doesn't mean I won't lay your rear end out. You know what I wear under my kilt? Your girlfriend's lipstick. We clear?"
Veteran Child: "Yes, sir."

Also, Veteran Child and Matt Miller have a great one that ends with VC getting pissed that Matt stood up to the Saints and lived. "This is bullshit!"

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Roddy and Keith David together is basically a recreation of They Live.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It was one of the high points of SR4 when you walk around a nondescript corner in the middle of a mission and there's Roddy Piper for no reason and a few moments later he's in your party because why the hell not.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Alteisen posted:

Roddy and Keith David together is basically a recreation of They Live.

Why have I not yet bought this game?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Aleph Null posted:

Why have I not yet bought this game?

Keith David is playing himself. Its Keith David as Keith David.

What I'm saying is that SR4 owns.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You can set the player character's voice to "Nolan North".

SR4 is one of those games that will take over this entire thread for a page or two if we let it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

1stGear posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51OztTj9r5M

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

1stGear posted:

You can also bring Keith David as a homie along with Julius, played by Keith David.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

DrNutt posted:

You can also bring Keith David as a homie along with Julius, played by Keith David.

In Saints Row: The Third you can have Josh (an actor) and Nyte Blayde (his most famous role) as homies at the same time. They have no interaction with each other, but the contrast between their voice barks (Hollywood bro vs angsty vampire hunter) is quite funny.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I'm sad that there's no conversation between Shaundi, Fun Shaundi, and Cyborg Future Shaundi from the Christmas DLC.

The ending montage of the Christmas DLC is my favorite little thing.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

I own the game, haven't played it yet, but this trailer has got me wanting to play it more than any other piece of media and advertising yet.

Edit: The answer is because I have a few games I want to finish first, and not a lot of free time, plus I'm waiting on a friend to do it coop with.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

haveblue posted:

It was one of the high points of SR4 when you walk around a nondescript corner in the middle of a mission and there's Roddy Piper for no reason and a few moments later he's in your party because why the hell not.

gently caress me. Rowdy Roddy Piper is in SR IV? And Hogan was in 3, so who is the mega wrestling fan in that office?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Avenging_Mikon posted:

gently caress me. Rowdy Roddy Piper is in SR IV? And Hogan was in 3, so who is the mega wrestling fan in that office?

Probably most of Volition is.