Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

fleshweasel posted:

Seriously, never use beta software for something you're counting on working.

Has anyone found a really good bluetooth mouse anywhere? All I can think of is... a Magic Mouse with mmfixed.com (which I find ugly-looking). My experience with Bluetooth mice is they've been undersized, or had poor tracking, or some other combination of grievances. I just want a Bluetooth mouse that's full-sized, has good tracking and no junk (arrays of extra buttons or adjusters, etc)

Magic Trackpad owns bones if it suits your needs.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I'm running Yosemite on my production machine :getin:

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm on a late 2013 rMBP base model, 4 gig ram, 128 ssd. It's awesome and I want it to stay that way. Should I update from version 10.9.2 to 10.9.4?

The answer is most assuredly yes, but I have had Excellent luck by never upgrading my jailbroken iPhone 4 which is still on like 4.2.1 and is almost as fast as it was the day I bought it. My family has upgraded all along and have much worse performance as a result.

tl;dr I should probably update my base rMBP now, but I'm paranoid that keeping up with the latest OS will make my poo poo slow.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

tesilential posted:

I'm on a late 2013 rMBP base model, 4 gig ram, 128 ssd. It's awesome and I want it to stay that way. Should I update from version 10.9.2 to 10.9.4?

The answer is most assuredly yes, but I have had Excellent luck by never upgrading my jailbroken iPhone 4 which is still on like 4.2.1 and is almost as fast as it was the day I bought it. My family has upgraded all along and have much worse performance as a result.

tl;dr I should probably update my base rMBP now, but I'm paranoid that keeping up with the latest OS will make my poo poo slow.

There's not going to be much if any performance difference between a point release like that.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

tesilential posted:

Your poo poo is less than one year old and uses an SSD. What the hell, man. Upgrade it.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

I'm running Yosemite on my production machine :getin:

Same and it owns.

INSTALL THE BETA!

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
is there a way to stop safari from making the … sign every time i want to make a three dots?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

is there a way to stop safari from making the … sign every time i want to make a three dots?

System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Text -> Uncheck "use smart quotes and dashes"

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Also, if you just want a temporary override of smart quotes (or whatever) in one specific app without permanently changing system-wide settings, click on the Edit menu in that app, then go into the Substitutions submenu. It only remembers changes made in the menu while the app is still running; after a quit and relaunch it'll go back to the System Prefs settings. (Or at least that's the way TextEdit works.)

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

noirstronaut posted:

Your poo poo is less than one year old and uses an SSD. What the hell, man. Upgrade it.

I did. For future reference does apple allow you to downgrade to previous versions of OS X?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

tesilential posted:

I did. For future reference does apple allow you to downgrade to previous versions of OS X?

Of course. You just install it. It's not iOS, it's not signed.

Ninja: I mean I'm sure it's signed but the machine doesn't only run signed code

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Anyone know how to turn off the log in screen in Yosemite?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Not sure if it's just in my head or if it's Yosemite, but typing URL's in Safari on my 2013 13" 4GB/128GB/i5 Air seems laggy.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

spunkshui posted:

Anyone know how to turn off the log in screen in Yosemite?

Should be Sys Prefs -> Users and Groups -> Login Options, unless they massively changed poo poo in Yosemite.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

tesilential posted:

Before any major upgrade you can do a Time Machine backup and roll back super easily if things go poorly. It'll just take a long-rear end time. You can also just wipe the drive and install any old OS that supports your hardware.

Another Poster
Apr 12, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Not sure if it's just in my head or if it's Yosemite, but typing URL's in Safari on my 2013 13" 4GB/128GB/i5 Air seems laggy.

Laggy on my rMBP 15 2012 too.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.
Safari 8 has some performance issues, which is to be expected of a beta.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
It's Safari, not the OS itself. Safari has a few weird bugs right now, like locking up during video playback and tabs going missing.

Yosemite is fine. Safari is buggy. Even if you use Safari, I would keep a backup browser on hand just in case there's some catastrophe.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 30, 2014

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Is Sickbeard and SABNZBD working the beta?

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Can anyone explain what I might do to remedy this Safari issue? I use what I assume to be some kind of Java web app to access my work's server remotely through a browser. It works like: 1. Go to address; 2. Enter credentials; 3. Navigate through directory. Lately, it hangs at the credential entry step during normal browsing, but if it turn on private browsing it works fine. My solution right now is to use Chrome because it's less of a pain, but my work's SAP system only works with Safari and Firefox so I'd like to be able to rehabilitate Safari back to main browser status.

And a random Mac software question: Do we have any idea when Office for Mac is going to get updated? Do we know if it's going to approximate the look and feel of Office 2013 for Windows or if it's going to be an evolved version of the abortion that it is now? ]

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Can anyone explain what I might do to remedy this Safari issue? I use what I assume to be some kind of Java web app to access my work's server remotely through a browser. It works like: 1. Go to address; 2. Enter credentials; 3. Navigate through directory. Lately, it hangs at the credential entry step during normal browsing, but if it turn on private browsing it works fine. My solution right now is to use Chrome because it's less of a pain, but my work's SAP system only works with Safari and Firefox so I'd like to be able to rehabilitate Safari back to main browser status.

And a random Mac software question: Do we have any idea when Office for Mac is going to get updated? Do we know if it's going to approximate the look and feel of Office 2013 for Windows or if it's going to be an evolved version of the abortion that it is now? ]
For Safari, try in a new user account. That'll hopefully narrow it down to either a systemwide issue or just something up with your particular settings

As for Office, :iiam:. The last I heard about it (granted I don't necessarily follow it either) was some dev talking about the iOS one, how that new codebase would also be the basis of the Mac version going forward. That might sound bad in theory but I've heard the iOS version is good, also they could build a completely different good or lovely UI around it to make it a moot point. And if it follows the rest of Office it'll only be on a subscription model I think. Edit, found it in a Reddit AMA:
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/22iu9n/we_are_the_microsoft_office_for_ipad_team_ask_us/

quote:

The code for Office for iPad and Office for Mac is shared, as the development platforms for both are very similar. :) The iPad work required us to create an all-new UI and to redesign the interface between UI and the internal logic. That work actually helps us with de-Carbonizing Office for the Mac, instead of delaying or hindering it. We're able to create new Cocoa UI on the Mac and tie it into the new logic interface now.
Schwieb (development tools wrangler)

japtor fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 31, 2014

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Yosemite crashes my mac on the logging screen sometimes. :( It really pisses me off

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
yosemite has occasional kernel panics (yes I reported them to apple)

it's a beta

don't use it if you don't have all your data backed up

when it releases I would recommend you do a fresh install and just take over the data you really really need.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Has anyone had a weird bug that seems to exist between Safari and Adium recently? Tends to occur any time I click something in Safari that isn't a strict link (like a javascript box or something). Instead of doing what I want, it does nothing and Adium becomes the highlighted app. If Adium is closed, it doesn't happen.

Thought it might disappear when I did the Yosemite beta install, but it's still occurring then too, but not on my MBA, just my iMac. It's odd.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Is there a Keepass program that will do 2.x databases? On my old, nonworking Macbook I used KeepassX but it appears that it doesn't do 2.x stuff though I haven't changed my database file.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

EL BROMANCE posted:

Has anyone had a weird bug that seems to exist between Safari and Adium recently? Tends to occur any time I click something in Safari that isn't a strict link (like a javascript box or something). Instead of doing what I want, it does nothing and Adium becomes the highlighted app. If Adium is closed, it doesn't happen.

Thought it might disappear when I did the Yosemite beta install, but it's still occurring then too, but not on my MBA, just my iMac. It's odd.

Sounds like something's jacked up with your URL handler, making it think Adium is the default application for those types of links. Google "OSX URL handler" or take a look at this.

Another Poster
Apr 12, 2008
Anyway to set Safari 8 default user agent to 7.1? The ClickToPlugin HTML5 conversion doesn't work on Safari 8 right now but I can make it work when switching to Safari 7.1 User Agent.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

KKKLIP ART posted:

Is there a Keepass program that will do 2.x databases? On my old, nonworking Macbook I used KeepassX but it appears that it doesn't do 2.x stuff though I haven't changed my database file.

KyPass Companion, but it's not free, and I found the UI/UX irritating enough to migrate away from KeePass altogether (since cross-platform support was a must-have for my use case).

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

GokieKS posted:

KyPass Companion, but it's not free, and I found the UI/UX irritating enough to migrate away from KeePass altogether (since cross-platform support was a must-have for my use case).

Out of curiosity, what did you migrate to?

Also, the most recent update to KyPass Compantion FINALLY added a navigation sidebar like the Windows version has always had. That was my biggest UI/UX annoyance, so I did a little happy dance when I saw that update.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

If anyone cares, I remembered that I was using the Alpha 6 build of KeepassX and it all works like it needs to.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
I had three problems with Yosemite, which made me back out of it.

One, blued, the Bluetooth daemon, would crash itself and then be restarted every 10 seconds, due to not having a Broadcom Bluetooth adapter. Hackintosh problem, likely.

Two, Windows network shares suddenly became invisible, and the DNS resolving of those machines by WINS hostname suddenly started resolving everything to my router's IP address. Reported to Apple.

Three, Adobe Flash Builder 4.7 Premium's directory browser, which is 100% mandatory for adding a project path through the sandbox, now crashes the entire program the instant the dialog opens. Not good.

Four, RehabMan's Generic XHCI USB driver does not talk to USB 3.0 ports, or even power them on. Vaguely Hackintosh related, vaguely not, since people with Mac Pro machines with PCIe slots can still plug in USB 3.0 cards and now find they don't work at all. Apparently this driver makes heavy use of reverse engineered / undocumented structures to work, so will need to be updated for Yosemite. Necessary for me to be able to charge my iPad with a data connection, as my USB 2 ports don't put out enough juice, and I have a shortage of handy sockets to plug a 10W power adapter into. (I also tried a cheapy USB extension cable, but that reduces the current enough that the iPad says "Not Charging".)

Backed down to 10.9.4, and I had to use tmutil to forcibly delete all of the Time Machine backups that were made automatically from Yosemite before the Migration Wizard would allow me to use my backup drive. Then within a day of that, Time Machine suddenly reported that I ran out of space on the drive and it automatically deleted "some" old backups. Yeah, it deleted all but the latest two backups, leaving 131GB of space free on the drive. I'm pretty sure it didn't actually run out of space, either, as each backup step was only running about 50MB. More reason why I want to buy a Time Capsule, so I can get this backup poo poo off my internal drive and free up all that space.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

chizad posted:

Out of curiosity, what did you migrate to?

Also, the most recent update to KyPass Compantion FINALLY added a navigation sidebar like the Windows version has always had. That was my biggest UI/UX annoyance, so I did a little happy dance when I saw that update.

Dashlane. It also has minor UI/UX issues (my biggest annoyance is that the position of the show password and copy password buttons are swapped between the Windows and OS X versions), but it has a workable client on every platform that I need (Windows, OS X, iOS, Android), which is more than I can say for KeePass, and is only $30/year, which is less than what it would cost me to keep up with the upgrade cycle for 1Password.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
That reminds me, I need to cancel my Dashlane subscription, since I switched to 1Password. It was fun having to pay $11.99 for the privilege of using 1Password on my iDevices. I can't wait for the impending whatever charge they'll place on being able to modify my password store on Android devices, which stops being free tomorrow.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

kode54 posted:

More reason why I want to buy a Time Capsule, so I can get this backup poo poo off my internal drive and free up all that space.

You're backing up to an internal drive? What?

Sure, it's somewhat likely your primary drive will fail eventually, but it's also pretty likely you'll destroy or lose your laptop and then you're *hosed*. Don't do that. Don't back up to an internal drive.

My personal thing is to back up the entire drive (except folders that contain things you could stand to lose) to an EXTERNAL hard dive - like a Time Machine or a NAS or just a USB drive - and then back up the really important poo poo to Amazon S3 or something like that.

Backing up to an internal drive solves ONE problem: your main drive shits the bed. Backing up to an external drive solves two problems: drive dies, or your computer gets destroyed. By software or otherwise! Backing up to a remote location solves three problems: all of the above, and also your house burns down.

C'mon man. Get with the program.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
I'm backing up OS images to an internal drive, and my home directory to Crashplan. The OS image is mainly if I need to flatten and reinstall, or recover some timed old files that are outside my home directory.

I'm not really sure how one would go about backing up the entire OS image to the butt.

I can understand using the butt to recover data as a last resort, but not for restoring an entire machine when it becomes necessary to pave and reinstall. I mean, for gently caress's sake, Crashplan caps my online restore downloads to about 230kbps. Yes, kbps. Hence why I didn't bother to restore the 200GB of cruft that had accumulated in my home directory since before I last paved. Most of which was 120GB of music that I moved to another internal drive before paving anyway.

Oh, right, and I was going to post about an issue newly introduced by 10.9.5, even though I technically shouldn't mention it. It kindly told me that I need to install the mother loving JDK to use the java console command. Installing the latest JRE was insufficient, I actually did have to download all 208MB of the JDK installer and shove that into my system.

Then that was insufficient to run Eclipse, which wanted the Java 6 runtime. I quickly gave up on Apple's auto install step attempting to fetch 2013-5 at 100KB/s, and instead fetched the 2014-1 DMG at my connection's 3MB/s limit.

kode54 fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 1, 2014

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

kode54 posted:

I'm not really sure how one would go about backing up the entire OS image to the butt.

I can understand using the butt to recover data as a last resort, but not for restoring an entire machine when it becomes necessary to pave and reinstall.
Cloud to butt extension messed with the edit window? :v:

(Either that or the SA iOS app secretly added that functionality)

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
No, I performed a cloud to butt translation on my own. For laughs.

Seriously though, it seems like it would be entirely too painful to restore a complete off site backup if I had to pull it at 230kbps like CrashPlan, or if I had to pay an exorbitant fee like that Amazon Glacier thing, which seems to assume, probably correctly, that you'll only really need to touch 20% of your complete backup image.

Well, if there ever is a way to back up Time Machine to the cloud, with reasonably priced storage for up to 250GB of crap, and if I should ever lose all my on site data, reasonable speed and pricing for fetching the complete backup set, I'd be all over that.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Can Crashplan ship you a drive to restore from or is that another provider I'm thinking of? ...and that might only be for initial backup actually, I can't remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

japtor posted:

Can Crashplan ship you a drive to restore from or is that another provider I'm thinking of? ...and that might only be for initial backup actually, I can't remember.

Yeah crashplan will do this I think it costs around $200