Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
Prequel trilogy to Front Mission. It'll go through the formation of the OCU and USN, and conclude with the 1st Huffman Conflict. There could even be a terrible mobile social Gun Hazard tie-in game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I don't think there's a soul in this thread that wouldn't trade SE of the past 5-8 years for the SE that threw every man-hour at one project at a time and put out two games a year.

Unfortunately, we have the SE that sees itself in an unwinnable fight for new fans and is determined to ring as much out of our generation's nostalgia before finally shutting the doors.

And honestly, I'm not sure which one would sink the company faster. Almost certainly No. 1?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

http://www.insanedifficulty.com/board/index.php?/topic/2922-final-fantasy-viii-requiem-v121/

I invested about 120 hours into this and that's only the actual game tally, not including my numerous deaths and times I had to retry certain things.

Ironically my least favorite FF is now the one I spent the most time on and I owe it all to this mod making the gameplay actually challenging and interesting. I never bothered with Triple Triad in vanilla, I never even came close to learning about the Refining system in any real detail, but here I had to make use of both of them to survive.

And I loved it.

If you do play it, here are some tips from an older post I made on it:

You won't need all those Holy Wars against Ultimecia but it be smart to have at least 10 of them, maybe 20. Altogether, the four forms have about 2,000.000 HP and took me about an hour-and-a-half to beat. Well, on my successful run - it took me about 10 or so attempts before I beat her. I gotta tell you. hearing this exact moment of "The Extreme" right as the message popped up "Draw Apocalypse" was unbelievably awesome and tense. After an hour of boss fights I knew that meant I was so close...so close...to victory. It just so happens I lost that attempt but I beat her next time.
I forget my exact party set-up for beating her...I'd recommend Quistis though because her Level 3 Acid is the only easy way to inflict Vit 0 and you will totally want that to speed up the final boss fights.

Of course I've talked to enough people on here to know a lot of them hate the idea thing. It's very likely you will too. But I loved it. It redeemed FFVIII to me. I'd do an LP of it if I was actually funny or smart and my computer didn't suck so horribly.

Thanks for this, it sounds pretty cool. I'll have to check it out

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Maybe a Dragon Quest prequel where you play as a young Dragonlord who gets rejected by the Princess and turns evil.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
Three Hildibrand prequels.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Maybe a Dragon Quest prequel where you play as a young Dragonlord who gets rejected by the Princess and turns evil.

That's basically Live a Live.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Ergheiz threequel.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

If it's overly optimistic speculation time, I pick a prequel trilogy for Secret of Mana.

I'd probably give a kidney to have them finally release Seiken Densetsu 3 in America.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Zero_Tactility posted:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Zero_Tactility posted:

I'd buy the collector's edition of all three. :swoon:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The White Dragon posted:

Ergheiz threequel.
We already have Dissidia.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Please give us a new Ehrgeiz entry Square, I am waiting to bop some fools online as GODHAND.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Allarion posted:

That's basically Live a Live.

Oh yeah. Forgot about that game.

Zero_Tactility posted:

I'll take this instead.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

BloodWulfe posted:

Prequel trilogy to Front Mission. It'll go through the formation of the OCU and USN, and conclude with the 1st Huffman Conflict. There could even be a terrible mobile social Gun Hazard tie-in game.

This man knows what's up. But this means that Square digs up the franchise from the grave they unceremoniously dumped it into, and that is giving Square too much credit.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Prequel trilogy to Tom Sawyer :regd08:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

prequel trilogy to Threads of Fate

... what?

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Einhänder will rise again!

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Beef Waifu posted:

Please give us a new Ehrgeiz entry Square, I am waiting to bop some fools online as GODHAND.

I want SE to retcon Ehrgeiz as the first cycle of Dissidia. :downs:

Or, similar to what was said earlier, a prequel to FF1, but instead of playing as the Sky Warriors, I want to knock everyone down as Garland. I want dumb, overwrought cutscenes, and extraneous obnoxious side-characters that attempt to elucidate the writers' horrible attempts at retcons. Oh yes, I can see it now :unsmigghh:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I love how serious and sentinel-like Garland is in Dissidia. I dunno who came up with the mission statement that like "Both of the early game main villains have to be integral figures in the Dissidia story" but it makes everything even funnier.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Legacy of Kain prequels.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

They'll be prequels to the Final Fantasy series.

Not Final Fantasy 1, but the series. Final Fantasy -2, -1, and 0.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
FFXIII: The Before Years. On mobile. Where you play as Lightning for three games.

The nightmare scenario.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Beef Waifu posted:

I love how serious and sentinel-like Garland is in Dissidia. I dunno who came up with the mission statement that like "Both of the early game main villains have to be integral figures in the Dissidia story" but it makes everything even funnier.

I really liked the characterisation they gave him, and Chaos, in Dissidia. The arbitrarily absurd backstory for Chaos, aside.
Does make me wish for another Dissidia game. On a console preferably.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Endorph posted:

Legacy of Kain prequels.

The only thing better than Xenogears Episode I, II, III or IV.

i still don't know who has a great enough voice to replace Tony Jay as The Elder God though...

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
I know we're just listing every pre-merger series that it won't be, but give me a Saga Frontier 2 prequel trilogy while we're at it.

It can be three loosely connected games spanning half a dozen generations, I don't care. I want hand-painted watercolor backgrounds and characters in something larger than 320x240. The original game still looks great 15 years later.

NikkolasKing posted:

i still don't know who has a great enough voice to replace Tony Jay as The Elder God though...

You can't really replace Tony Jay.

They could go ask old Volition how they got Robert Loggia for Freespace 2 though.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I could go for more SaGa games, sure. Unfortunately, I think we're two of, like, a dozen people on these forums who want that.

7th saga prequel do it enix make a trilogy about your shittiest game ever

e: to be fair, it probably wasn't their shittiest game in Japan, but earned that title when they rebalanced it for the western release.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 30, 2014

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

BloodWulfe posted:

You can't really replace Tony Jay.

Hard to believe it's been eight years since he died.

For Frollo in one of the Kingdom Hearts games, they replaced him with Corey Burton (another deep-voiced VA, and a pretty decent one at that), but it's still no Tony Jay. :smith:

Gotta love this from outtake from LOK, with him in it:
"I really think Tony should be doing this in costume."

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Pesky Splinter posted:

I want SE to retcon Ehrgeiz as the first cycle of Dissidia. :downs:
Let's throw The Bouncer into the mix too. People thought it was Ehrgeiz 2 for a while anyway.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Shove everything in Dissidia. Aya Brea vs Chrono, Yoyo Yoko vs Wei Shen. Just go full crazy.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Delsaber posted:

Einhänder will rise again!

This would actually be the best thing ever. In some weird hatred of both money and their fans, SE has never bothered to release the game as a PS Classic on NA or EU PSN (or in EU at all).

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

The GIG posted:

Shove everything in Dissidia. Aya Brea vs Chrono, Yoyo Yoko vs Wei Shen. Just go full crazy.
Would this also include Disney by proxy of Kingdom Hearts? Goofy vs Caim, gently caress yeah!

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

The White Dragon posted:

I could go for more SaGa games, sure. Unfortunately, I think we're two of, like, a dozen people on these forums who want that.

7th saga prequel do it enix make a trilogy about your shittiest game ever

e: to be fair, it probably wasn't their shittiest game in Japan, but earned that title when they rebalanced it for the western release.

Offhand there's nothing in that game you could even expound upon except maybe King Lemele's life. And of course we know that it ends when GORSIA kills him and impersonates him.

In any case, a 7th Saga prequel just wouldn't feel like the original without bizarre indecipherable item name abbreviations or some characters always having their names in ALL CAPS for seemingly no reason. (Why are SARO, GORSIA, Dr. FAIL, and Planet TICONDERA written like that when nothing else is? :iiam:)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
FF3, 4, and 5 are currently 50% off on the Android store if anyone's interested. I think they recently added cloud saves and controller support to 3 and 4, thus the sales for them for the past few days. I think 5 just went on sale today or yesterday, so maybe they'll put more games on sale like Dimensions.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

BloodWulfe posted:

I know we're just listing every pre-merger series that it won't be, but give me a Saga Frontier 2 prequel trilogy while we're at it.

poo poo, they still owe me the rest of SaGa Frontier the first one

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Pesky Splinter posted:

I really liked the characterisation they gave him, and Chaos, in Dissidia. The arbitrarily absurd backstory for Chaos, aside.

Actually, let's talk about this. Chaos' and Garland's backstories don't make a drat lick of sense. So Garland was this living super weapon that killed all the Summons in the world of FFI and was controlled by the clone of his mother who was also probably Cosmos? Why does he never mention any of this?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Gologle posted:

Actually, let's talk about this. Chaos' and Garland's backstories don't make a drat lick of sense. So Garland was this living super weapon that killed all the Summons in the world of FFI and was controlled by the clone of his mother who was also probably Cosmos? Why does he never mention any of this?

Because it's a pretty standard backstory by Final Fantasy standards.

But seriously, I remember Shaezerus telling me the story to the Dissidia games, and it sounded like the most batshit insane story in a series full of batshit insane stories. I've only played the "new characters" story in the second game and a couple of the original character chapters, and it's pretty crazy that they actually try to work in an in-depth story for "A bunch of FF characters get put together to fight each other and hundreds of their clones," even for SE.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Butt Ghost posted:

Would this also include Disney by proxy of Kingdom Hearts? Goofy vs Caim, gently caress yeah!

Ohshit, Drakengard prequel trilogy, I'm calling it.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Gologle posted:

It's actually more dumb than that; it's Chaos who was the living superweapon - created from a gestalt of manikins - so Onrac, a little town from the original FF could rule the world. poo poo goes down and him and another manikin (who is a clone of his adopted mother - who turns into Cosmos or whatever), end up in the world of Dissidia. Also Cid ends up there.

Garland is a seperate individual, who, on the brink of death, also somehow manages to make his way to the world, and bumps into Chaos, Cosmos, Cid and Shinryu. With prompting from Cid (who has given up his pyhsical body as payment to Shinryu for starting the cycles of conflict) he guides Chaos, and eventually forms that bizarro time pact thing (which now no longer makes a lick of sense because they're not even the same being anymore). And then later during one of the other cycles, another perfect manikin manifests itself in the guise of Cid's old body. And later becomes the Warrior of Light.

It's dumb, it's so dumb. Why SE? why. It should have just been God vs God. They seem to be confusing convolution for complexity.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Ohshit, Drakengard prequel trilogy, I'm calling it.

3's already a prequel.
I could see a Nier prequel though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rargphlam
Dec 16, 2008
They're clearly making HD mobile ports of the Final Fantasy Legend/SaGa Game Boy series and making them a prequel to something.