Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Spoilers are being discussed in the open. Be aware.

The IMAX 3D version is being well-reviewed by people who have seen it. If you're somewhat interested in IMAX 3D, but want to know if it's worth it, the general consensus appears to be "Yes".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LIQ2-PZBC8

The newest MCU movie, this one is co-written and directed by James Gunn (Slither, Super) with first-time writer Nicole Perlman and cinematographer Ben Davis of Kick-rear end, Wrath of the Titans, and the upcoming Avengers: Age of Ultron. While the two Thor movies and The Avengers incorporated extraterrestrial elements, Guardians of the Galaxy expands the Marvel Cinematic Universe fully into the cosmic, incorporating weird alien characters, spaceships, and all that sci-fi nonsense. With arguably the most interesting director Marvel has hired so far (no offense to Shane Black), the weirdest premise, and trailers that highlight Gunn's comedic leanings, expectations are that this movie will stand out from the rest of the Marvel pack, whatever you happen to think of them.

The Guardians themselves are a five-creature team of unlikely heroes that mostly meetup in this movie before banding together to take on some sort of villain. I didn't really want to read up too much on the plot before seeing the movie.

Peter Quill / Star Lord

Abducted from Earth as a child, Peter is an interstellar rogue in the Han Solo / Indiana Jones mold. Played by Chris Pratt (Parks and Recreation, Zero Dark Thirty).

Rocket Raccoon

A genetically-engineered raccoon working as a bounty hunter. A CGI character voiced by Bradley Cooper (The Hangover trilogy, American Hustle).

Groot

A tree-like humanoid with a pre-existing partnership with Rocket Raccoon. Another CGI character, this time voiced by Vin Diesel (The Fast and the Furious franchise, the Riddick franchise).

Gamora

Another uplifted animal... wait, that's not right.

A former assassin trying to redeem herself for her past crimes. Played by Zoe Saldana (Avatar, Star Trek).

Drax the Destroyer

A warrior out for vengeance against who I presume is the big villain of the movie. Played by Dave Bautista (WWE wrestling, The Man with the Iron Fists).

The movie premiers August 1, 2014 in the United States, with early showings the day before. Lets keep spoilers in tags for a least a few weeks to give people a chance to stop in just to read general reactions. Often the easiest way to do this is to have a paragraph with your general reaction that anyone can appreciate, then putting the rest of your post behind tags, rather than having half of every sentence be hidden by black bars.

Reports are that this movie has an after-credits scene like the rest of the Marvel films. Information on what it is has already made it onto the Internet, but if you want to discuss it here please keep it behind spoiler tags. This includes guesses about what it might mean for the MCU, what comics it references, basically anything to do with it.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Rotten Tomatoes score fell from 100% to 93%, cue sad trombone.

Seriously though this has had ridiculously positive pre - release hype. Either it's really good or has transcendent marketing. :iiam:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah as someone who never really knew the characters /story, I have my IMAX tickets purchased for Saturday morning and am totally stoked about seeing it.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?
So glad we have a thread for this now. This movie is excellent and deserves all the hype.

Edit: Took out phrases that made me look like a jackass.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It seems that it was just yesterday that I watched the first trailer way too many times.

sean10mm posted:

Rotten Tomatoes score fell from 100% to 93%, cue sad trombone.

Seriously though this has had ridiculously positive pre - release hype. Either it's really good or has transcendent marketing. :iiam:

I usually try not to be defensive about bad reviews for stuff I like or might like, but the one that attacked it for being nostalgic exploitation of the Reagan era was pretty :psyduck:.

But it was nothing compared to the one that criticised Marvel movies, including GotG, for being built on an "unshakable foundation of self-seriouness". :psyboom:

Redjakk
Apr 24, 2007

cormano sigue siendo mi hermano
Fun Shoe
There was a lot about this movie I got all fanboy over but my favorite thing was seeing a goddamn Celestial in all its planet-devestating glory.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I've not seen this yet but am currently marathoning Parks and Rec. The trailers make Pratt seem a bit like a Smart Andy in space, is this true or is it a lot different?

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Got my Imax tickets yesterday. Going to take my 11 year old son tomorrow night.

We watched the Ultimate Spider-Man episode with the GOG in it so he's at least know who the people are.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

I didn't realize James Gunn was responsible for this, I'm even more unreasonably excited. Glad I already got my 7pm Alamo Drafthouse ticket.

live nudes
Jun 17, 2004

we like to watch

Sir Kodiak posted:

Reports are that this movie has an after-credits scene like the rest of the Marvel films. Information on what it is has already made it onto the Internet, but if you want to discuss it here please keep it behind spoiler tags. This includes guesses about what it might mean for the MCU, what comics it references, basically anything to do with it.

If the rumors are true, it's going to bring the house down.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I usually don't sit through the credits because the after credit scenes are never worth the wait, but I might do it this time if the rumors are true.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

I usually don't sit through the credits because the after credit scenes are never worth the wait, but I might do it this time if the rumors are true.

This one is worth it just to see the reaction of everyone else in theatre.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

What are the rumors saying?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

There was no end credits scene when I saw it tonight. Feel a bit hard done by considering what I've read.

Redjakk
Apr 24, 2007

Fun Shoe
I saw the theatrical version and not a preview screening and there were two scenes.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Go on.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Uncle Wemus posted:

What are the rumors saying?

Since everyone else is beating around the bush I'll just come out and spoiler it.
Two credits scenes are baby Groot dancing and the end credits stinger has an appearance by Howard the Duck critisizing a banged up Collector for letting Cosmos lick him.

At least thats the crappy phone video I saw, someone who has actually seen the whole thing can confirm or deny.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

Since everyone else is beating around the bush I'll just come out and spoiler it.
Two credits scenes are baby Groot dancing and the end credits stinger has an appearance by Howard the Duck critisizing a banged up Collector for letting Cosmos lick him.

At least thats the crappy phone video I saw, someone who has actually seen the whole thing can confirm or deny.

It's here should anyone be tracking it down:

http://www.underthegunreview.net/2014/07/30/guardians-of-the-galaxy-post-credits-sequence-leaks-online-and-its-hilarious/

captaingimpy
Aug 3, 2004

I luv me some pirate booty, and I'm not talkin' about the gold!
Fun Shoe

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

That would be the most amazing thing ever.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Mr. Flunchy posted:

There was no end credits scene when I saw it tonight. Feel a bit hard done by considering what I've read.

Sooo... how was the movie? :)

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

Oh man, I'm kind of bummed that I spoiled it for myself because that's ridiculous.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

sean10mm posted:

Sooo... how was the movie? :)

It was pretty good. Probably the best thing Marvel's put out and I usually find their films a bit boring.

Excellent film for silly haircuts.

edit: full (and spoiler free) review up here if you're interested:

http://www.londoncitynights.com/2014/07/guardians-of-galaxy-2014-directed-by.html

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 30, 2014

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Ash1138 posted:

Oh man, I'm kind of bummed that I spoiled it for myself because that's ridiculous.

As I said in the main Comic Book thread I have a friend who swears Marvel always follows the formula of "Stinger from this movie is for the movie after the next." So he is swearing up and down it's an Ant Man scene. He and I got nerd mad at each other cause he is so sure of himself and I can't wait till he sees it this weekend to be a jackass to him about it. That is the only reason I spoiled it for myself and I regret nothing.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

As I said in the main Comic Book thread I have a friend who swears Marvel always follows the formula of "Stinger from this movie is for the movie after the next." So he is swearing up and down it's an Ant Man scene. He and I got nerd mad at each other cause he is so sure of himself and I can't wait till he sees it this weekend to be a jackass to him about it. That is the only reason I spoiled it for myself and I regret nothing.
You should still feel dirty though, considering the reason why you ended up being right.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Is Quill a straight up human in the film or do they go with the half-human origin?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
disregard

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 31, 2014

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Came here just to see the post credit stinger and I love it.

Wish they had gotten Chip Zien to do the voice though.

As an aside, I'm seeing this tomorrow night and it's probably the only Marvel movie I'm excited for after the Ant Man debacle. It just seems like it's going to ooze fun, comedy, and swashbuckling 80s action movie.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I'm kinda confused by this movie. The other Marvel movies made it seem like all the other worlds in the galaxy were isolated. Like the shiny bridge thing in Thor that allowed them to travel to other worlds. However, this movie seems to make it seem like space travel and such is commonplace and humans are all over the place. I don't know poo poo about the comics but this is throwing me off. Is this set in the same universe as the others?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

VaultAggie posted:

I'm kinda confused by this movie. The other Marvel movies made it seem like all the other worlds in the galaxy were isolated. Like the shiny bridge thing in Thor that allowed them to travel to other worlds. However, this movie seems to make it seem like space travel and such is commonplace and humans are all over the place. I don't know poo poo about the comics but this is throwing me off. Is this set in the same universe as the others?

There are 9 realms:
1. Muspelheim - Home of the Fire Demons. It is ruled by Surtur.
2. Alfheim- Home of the Light Elves
3. Vanaheim - Home of the Vanir who are the sister race of the Asgardians and the Trolls.
4. Asgard - Home of the Asgardians. It is ruled by Odin.
5. Midgard - is the Earthly realm. Home of the Humans.
6. Jotunheim - Home of the Frost Giants. It is ruled by Laufey.
7. Nifleheim - Home of the Frost Trolls. It is ruled by Ymir.
8. Svartalfheim - Home of the Dark Elves. It is ruled by Malekith.
9. Helheim - Realm of the dead. It is ruled by Hela.
(Copy and pasted from the MCU wiki)

Earth is in Midgard as well as all the surrounding planets. All the movies take place in Midgard. Essentially each realm is it's own contained universe that can be traveled between via the Bifrost bridge.

Redjakk
Apr 24, 2007

Fun Shoe

Away all Goats posted:

Is Quill a straight up human in the film or do they go with the half-human origin?

They say definitively at the end that he's half human and his alien dad even sent some mercs to go find him and bring him "home."

Also, the leaked stuff you may have seen online is what's in the movie. One scene at the beginning of the credits and one at the end.

Redjakk fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jul 31, 2014

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
I've only read a few GotG comics, but I've been on board for this one ever since I picked up Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3. I mained Rocket for the two and a half years I spent playing that game. IMAX tickets have been purchased for tomorrow night (on a real six-story IMAX screen, none of that digital LIEMAX poo poo). Pumped as all get-out, already preparing the Star Lord Halloween costume, can't wait.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

VaultAggie posted:

So, those other worlds you've seen so far lie in the Norse mythos type hierarchy posted above.

But in our realm there, there's also regular space, as we know it. GotG takes place in other star systems in our galaxy. But anyone you see who looks human in GotG looks that way because comic book writers wanted to do sci-fi and not draw a billion aliens. Other than Chris Pratt, everyone in this film is an alien, even if they look human.

Think Galactus/Silver Surfer from Fantastic 4, the Venom symbiote from Spider-Man, or Phoenix from X-Men (not from X-3). In the Marvel universe, there's a ton of scary poo poo in space.

Also, what the hell: my local theater listed showings at 7 pm tomorrow, going late, and a show at 12:01. Now I thought, huh, it must open on the 31st for there to be shows at 7 pm, so the 12:01 show must be tonight. Nope. Midnight premieres start at 7 pm now. And Christmas starts before Thanksgiving.

Riven fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 31, 2014

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Saw this a few hours ago. It's great. It's not mind-blowingly great, but it is normal great and it's enormous fun. It's self aware, hilarious, and may be the most charming movie I've ever seen. Every joke hits; every single one of them.

It's a tight movie, with very little wasted time; and even the one obvious forced scenes are funny and heart-warming enough that you are glad they exist.

Guardians of the Galaxy brilliantly bridges the Marvel movie universe from mostly Earth-based plots into the cosmic in the best way possible. It's serious and fun. I'm not saying to expect your socks blown off and your dick sucked, but I am saying that you will like it, and everyone in the theater will be feeling the same emotion you are feeling. It's that well written, directed, acted, executed.

Final thoughts: It's not "The Godfather", but you could watch it right after "The Godfather", and you'd still consider it a top-quality movie night.

Go see it. It deserves your money.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jul 31, 2014

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I have seen a lot of people comparing this to Farscape, just from the trailers. So, how accurate is that comparison?

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

The Human Crouton posted:

Saw this a few hours ago. It's great. It's not mind-blowingly great, but it is normal great and it's enormous fun. It's self aware, hilarious, and may be the most charming movie I've ever seen. Every joke hits; every single one of them.

It's a tight movie, with very little wasted time; and even the one obvious forced scenes are funny and heart-warming enough that you are glad they exist.

Guardians of the Galaxy brilliantly bridges the Marvel movie universe from mostly Earth-based plots into the cosmic in the best way possible. It's serious and fun. I'm not saying to expect your socks blown off and your dick sucked, but I am saying that you will like it, and everyone in the theater will be feeling the same emotion you are feeling. It's that well written, directed, acted, executed.

Final thoughts: It's not "The Godfather", but you could watch it right after "The Godfather", and you'd still consider it a top-quality movie night.

Go see it. It deserves your money.

This is it basically. I haven't really liked any of the MCU films after Cap 1 so this was a pleasant surprise. Probably because it was mostly it's own thing and didn't feel as calculated as the others. And for some reason I am glad they decided to fully reveal Thanos in this and not in Avengers 2 or in some obvious poo poo like that.

The characters had their moments and I liked how most of them had a feeling of sadness and sense of imbalance in them. Not some rich billionaires with slapped on PTSD or perfect supersoldiers.
Lee Pace's Ronan was actually quite a convincing bad guy and Pace was clearly enjoying it, chewing the entire cosmic scenery with great gusto. Rocket was obviously the funniest (although Drax had some hilarious moments too) and most of the time you couldn't even tell it was Bradley Cooper, so that's a plus.

You could also tell Gunn wasn't as controlled as I feared. Some surprisingly crazy and intense scenes.
Some of the jokes were kind of meh and it started to bother me that EVERY scene had to end with a (self-aware) one-liner. Some cliche and overly syrupy moments towards the end with a climax that is too generic and I felt that I had seen it in a Marvel film before exactly as it happened but probably not.

All in all, a solid and entertaining film and it looks really beautiful too which is a nice change in Marvel films.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Ash1138 posted:

You should still feel dirty though, considering the reason why you ended up being right.

Oh I absolutly do.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Haven't seen the movie yet, looking forward to it. But Howard the Duck? That's loving crazy.

Perfect. I want loving crazy :unsmigghh:

EDIT: poo poo, sorry. Just woke up.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 31, 2014

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Spoiler tags, son. Jeeze.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Thanks for spoiling, thats cool and chill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Might not be a good idea quoting spoilers without tags if you're complaining about being spoiled.

• Locked thread