Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Tiggum posted:

I hate costume pieces that have mechanical effects. It forces you to choose between customising the character the way you want to and whatever the benefit of looking dumb is. Like in Dragon Age: Origins, I wanted to wear a cool helmet with wings on, but instead I had to wear a dumb hood thing.

You may be happy to know that the crafting system in Dragon Age Inquisition is supposed to solve this very problem. If you want a winged plate helm on your mage, make one and rock it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

MrJacobs posted:

Using an xbox controller removes all of these problems, since it was designed for a controller in mind.

I never understand people who play console-centric games on PC and don't have a controller. Many console games are designed solely with controller in mind, some are downright unplayable on K&M. A wired Xbox controller is like $20.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

bilperkins2 posted:

I never understand people who play console-centric games on PC and don't have a controller. Many console games are designed solely with controller in mind, some are downright unplayable on K&M. A wired Xbox controller is like $20.

I for the life of me can't find an official wired controller anywhere near me at that price, or a decent third party one. My current third party one probably has the worst d-pad in the history of d-pads, and the sticks aren't much better.

I pretty much just use a PS2 controller and a Super Joy Box 3 Pro for everything.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I for the life of me can't find an official wired controller anywhere near me at that price, or a decent third party one. My current third party one probably has the worst d-pad in the history of d-pads, and the sticks aren't much better.

I pretty much just use a PS2 controller and a Super Joy Box 3 Pro for everything.

http://www.amazon.com/Wired-USB-Con...ired+controller

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Tiggum posted:

I don't remember a bright green one, but yeah, that looks like the sort of thing.

Most of them are fine, but the Asha one has that kill your evil clone section with all the killbots.

By not recognizing the indomitable Shako you have proven yourself An Owned Scrub Fucker In Perpetuity, please turn in your Cool Adult Sex-Haver card at your nearest self-ownage triage station.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

gamingCaffeinator posted:

Dubstep gun with explosive wubs. That is literally all I need.
Pity it forces you to use a couple of lovely weapons you probably never upgraded, then

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

My complaint is really lovely in comparison:

I bought Splinter Cell: Blacklist during the Steam sale and noticed that Grim totally sounds Canadian.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

bilperkins2 posted:

It's probably because the xbox gamepad works great out of the box, but has weird ergonomics and it's unpleasant to use to begin with. The DS3 is better designed and has an actual dpad, but it's got those weird squishy triggers and was designed for a small child's hands. Also it's not all fancy plug and play and poo poo like the xbox gamepad is.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

SpookyLizard posted:

It's probably because the xbox gamepad works great out of the box, but has weird ergonomics and it's unpleasant to use to begin with. The DS3 is better designed and has an actual dpad, but it's got those weird squishy triggers and was designed for a small child's hands. Also it's not all fancy plug and play and poo poo like the xbox gamepad is.

With a little effort, you can get a DS4 plugged in and working as a 360 controller on PC.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Biplane posted:

By not recognizing the indomitable Shako you have proven yourself An Owned Scrub Fucker In Perpetuity, please turn in your Cool Adult Sex-Haver card at your nearest self-ownage triage station.
Finally!

i mean come on

EDIT: vvvvvv keep your duped poo poo :coal:

Simply Simon has a new favorite as of 21:01 on Jul 30, 2014

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Simply Simon posted:

Finally!

i mean come on

SHAKO 4 1 SOJ

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

SpookyLizard posted:

What weird hands do you have that the 360 pad doesn't fit perfectly.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

im pooping! posted:

My complaint is really lovely in comparison:

I bought Splinter Cell: Blacklist during the Steam sale and noticed that Grim totally sounds Canadian.

Isn't it the same VA as the first, third, and Conviction? She's always had that accent.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Action Tortoise posted:

Isn't it the same VA as the first, third, and Conviction? She's always had that accent.

I just checked, it isn't the same VA. She may have been Canadian, just the newest iteration is Canadianer.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

mr. mephistopheles posted:

What weird hands do you have that the 360 pad doesn't fit perfectly.

Normal ones that don't like it's asymmetric design or that squishy, so called dpad.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Darksiders 2.

The Lord of Bones won't talk to you until you prove yourself in the Arena by killing the Champion. Okay, you head to the Arena.

The Champion won't come out to fight you until you find three MacGuffins nearby. Whatever. Find the MacGuffins, kill the Champion, go back to talk to the Lord of Bones.

Well, he'll talk to you, but you can't get what you need until you find and return his three Dread Lords spread around the rest of the realm.

You head out, two of them are straightforward enough, but the third one won't submit until you find three different MacGuffins for him! Like, what the gently caress, this is Padding: The Game. At least the game is mechanically fun as hell, otherwise I would have tossed it a while ago.

Also, once you do bring back the Dread Lords to the dude, he just kills them on the spot anyway. What an rear end in a top hat!

Also, a ton of the sidequests are collectathons with no map markers. I have one to find various specters that I can't even see unless I'm wearing a certain amulet, another one to find four pieces of a giant golem, and several for finding various generic tokens that I can turn in for rewards. gently caress that, I'm not wasting my time without even some clues. Darksiders 2 is a fine game, but it's got so much of this filler, especially compared to the first game that was so tightly made and overall better.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

Darksiders 2.

The Lord of Bones won't talk to you until you prove yourself in the Arena by killing the Champion. Okay, you head to the Arena.

The Champion won't come out to fight you until you find three MacGuffins nearby. Whatever. Find the MacGuffins, kill the Champion, go back to talk to the Lord of Bones.

Well, he'll talk to you, but you can't get what you need until you find and return his three Dread Lords spread around the rest of the realm.

You head out, two of them are straightforward enough, but the third one won't submit until you find three different MacGuffins for him! Like, what the gently caress, this is Padding: The Game. At least the game is mechanically fun as hell, otherwise I would have tossed it a while ago.

Also, once you do bring back the Dread Lords to the dude, he just kills them on the spot anyway. What an rear end in a top hat!

Also, a ton of the sidequests are collectathons with no map markers. I have one to find various specters that I can't even see unless I'm wearing a certain amulet, another one to find four pieces of a giant golem, and several for finding various generic tokens that I can turn in for rewards. gently caress that, I'm not wasting my time without even some clues. Darksiders 2 is a fine game, but it's got so much of this filler, especially compared to the first game that was so tightly made and overall better.

This is basically what started killing my interest in Bioshock Infinite.

You start in some area, you have the option to go left or right. You go left and there isn't much there, you go right, then you find out you have to go left to be able to go right, and now you can go all the way left, to be able to come back and go right.

It's really, really, really lame.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

Darksiders 2.

This was a game that sounded awesome in theory, but after playing it I feel like they would have been better off if it was basically just more DS1 content.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

Pity it forces you to use a couple of lovely weapons you probably never upgraded, then

You can just pick up a killbot's gun once you've killed one and use it against the others.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Been trying to get an S rank in the "End of the World" stage in Sonic 06. Its not going well.
I still like the game better than Generations but that just might be the Stockholm syndrome kicking in.
You pretty much have no freedom in movement from Sonic Unleashed - Generations which to me, kills the purpose of a 3d platformer.
Granted in the adventure games it was somewhat a straight line you did have some illusion of freedom and reason to actually look around areas at times.

Anytime Generations or Unleashed tried to edge you to move around in a 3d game manner, its incredibly awkward and really easy to fling yourself off of literally everything.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

swamp waste posted:

There were characters in the original version of Street Fighter 4 that had to be unlocked by beating singleplayer with every other character. Imagine being the guy who has to unlock everyone on every console for a big tournament like EVO or something. It'd be like those cartoons where Porky Pig smokes a cigarette and suddenly gets dragged down to cigarette hell and forced to smoke 1000 cigarettes

Can you not just take the save off the first console and share it amongst every other one?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

The Moon Monster posted:

This was a game that sounded awesome in theory, but after playing it I feel like they would have been better off if it was basically just more DS1 content.

Yes. Darksiders 1 would have been a perfect game except for the last dungeon, where they clearly ran out of money. Darksiders 2 is still a decent game but it's substantially flawed.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Bloody Pom posted:

Hell, even the knock-offs had some great moments. Like the one attack the Cassandra/Sophitia clone gets that just involves mowing down the opponent, kneeling over them and wailing on their face with your hilt and shield about twenty times.
My favorite was the generic greatsword, which had some double overhead swing that the AI just couldn't deal with. It was wonderful :allears:

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

scarycave posted:

Been trying to get an S rank in the "End of the World" stage in Sonic 06. Its not going well.
I still like the game better than Generations but that just might be the Stockholm syndrome kicking in.
You pretty much have no freedom in movement from Sonic Unleashed - Generations which to me, kills the purpose of a 3d platformer.
Granted in the adventure games it was somewhat a straight line you did have some illusion of freedom and reason to actually look around areas at times.

Anytime Generations or Unleashed tried to edge you to move around in a 3d game manner, its incredibly awkward and really easy to fling yourself off of literally everything.

Holy moley.

I agree that the newer games aren't suited to precision 3D platforming, especially since you'll often either drop short or boost yourself right past it, but it's nowhere near as poorly executed as in Sonic 06.

I'm still prefer how Sonic Adventure 2 controlled, at least for the Sonic and Knuckles style of levels. It felt really precise and responsive no matter what speed you were going at. The worst controlling games are definitely Heroes and Shadow, because it seemed impossible to slow yourself down without just doing a u-turn and running full speed in the other direction.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

scarycave posted:

You're goddamn insane.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Seriously insane. Generations wasn't a great game by any measure except when compared to Unleashed and 2006.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

U.T. Raptor posted:

My favorite was the generic greatsword, which had some double overhead swing that the AI just couldn't deal with. It was wonderful :allears:

Word. That's the only way I beat some of the cheaper set ups. I'd try them fair a few times, but if they proved to be truly bullshit (I think there was one where the most damage you could do to the badguy was chip damage), I'd bust out the generic greatsword and lock him down until it was over.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

alcharagia posted:

You're goddamn insane.

Yeah, it was a bit of a joke there. I like that its kind of in the Sonic Adventure format which I prefer over Generations and Unleashed game-play. I won't lie though, there were some parts of the game that were kind of enjoyable, some of the areas were nice - especially Crisis city which is probably the best looking level in the game. It's a shame they couldn't finish the game or be bothered to actually patch it. And at the same time pretty hilarious that people kept buying it to make it a platinum seller.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

bilperkins2 posted:

I never understand people who play console-centric games on PC and don't have a controller.

That's why I'm playing it on PC.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The original Far Cry is piss loving hard.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Tiggum posted:

That's why I'm playing it on PC.

This is silly the keyboard is such a poor tool for most types of video games.

JebanyPedal posted:

Yeah it is. It's one of the first FPS games to use checkpoints instead of quicksave/quickload and it was too early for the regenerating health era.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

JebanyPedal posted:

I absolutely could not beat the level near the end where they take away all your weapons and dump you in the middle of a jungle absolutely filled with monkey mutants.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

JebanyPedal posted:

I'm so glad that they dumped the franchise on Ubisoft, the core concept of getting to gently caress around in big exotic jungles with tons of guns is a lot more fun without Crytek's fetish for crowbarring unfun superscience monsters into every game they make.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Far Cry 3 is the game Far Cry 1 wanted to be anyway.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I'm so glad that they dumped the franchise on Ubisoft, the core concept of getting to gently caress around in big exotic jungles with tons of guns is a lot more fun without Crytek's fetish for crowbarring unfun superscience monsters into every game they make.

Far Cry 2 got tedious fast, though, with the constantly respawning checkpoints filled with enemies who will follow you to the end of the goddamn earth if you look at them funny. I never played more than a few hours of it because I would inevitably get tired of clearing the same checkpoints over and over. It's a shame; it had a lot of promise, but the core gameplay was really samey.

Far Cry 3 was good, and Blood Dragon was even better, so I'm still happy they got it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

kazil posted:

This is silly the keyboard is such a poor tool for most types of video games.

I wouldn't say 'most types', but there are types of games that do better with controllers. I wouldn't play a platformer or driving game with a keyboard, and I never tried playing Dark Souls II with a keyboard because the controls on a controller are just too good. As a rule, I'd say that controllers are good if you only want to do a small number of things on very short notice. Keyboard and mouse, on the other hand, are for when you need to control a wealth of things at once. I wouldn't dream of playing strategy games or most RPGs with a controller (exception being given to Dark Souls II again, because the controller setup is just that perfect).

The only exception to the rule is shooters, because while you might not be playing with a huge amount of features, mouselook is just too good to pass up. This makes sandbox games with vehicles a weird one, because if you only stick to one then you have to make a choice: drive well, or shoot well.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

It's almost like a device designed specifically for playing games is better for playing games than a text-entry device and a menu-navigation device. :v:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

SpookyLizard posted:

This is basically what started killing my interest in Bioshock Infinite.

You start in some area, you have the option to go left or right. You go left and there isn't much there, you go right, then you find out you have to go left to be able to go right, and now you can go all the way left, to be able to come back and go right.

It's really, really, really lame.

I have thirty one minutes in BI because of this. It was utterly tedious bullshit and I knew I regretted my purchase, however discounted, right then.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

DStecks posted:

It's almost like a device designed specifically for playing games is better for playing games than a text-entry device and a menu-navigation device. :v:

I've used KBM since Doom and grew up on Quake(`+mlook) but I do have a controller for several games where it just works better. One thing I dislike though is I invert look on a controller(but not mouse), and a big issue I have is with Skyrim. Sometimes when I cave dive in that game I prefer to walk slowly, but KBM has 3 speeds(walk, run, sprint) whereas analog control allows a massive range of speeds and smoother walking animations which make it much more immersive. Unfortunately, the game won't recognize that I play with inverted look on my controller so if I want to quickly change input I need to unplug the controller and then go into the menu and switch from invert to normal or vice versa.

Skyrim is really the only game I have this problem with but it gets annoying when I'm trying to actually take in the atmosphere of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Mister Adequate posted:

I have thirty one minutes in BI because of this. It was utterly tedious bullshit and I knew I regretted my purchase, however discounted, right then.

The combat is pretty okay and fun until you find out you can only have two weapons, and on the higher difficulties, enemies who aren't mooks are nigh indestructible meat-sacks. Especially the clockwork patriots.

Gamepad chat:

Except they suck for shooters, RTS games, 4X's, RPGs, TBS, and using all of your buttons without losing access to the ability to look around.

The PSX had a solid gamepad to begin with, but they added the sticks, and then didn't move the other face buttons to somewhere where you could use them AND retain use of the only really good thing about gamepads (the sticks).

Maybe like platformer type games would be better on a gamepad, but I've been playing tomb raider fairly easily on kb/m.