Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
In actual Roguelike happenings:

Solstice is back in action, a ridiculously over-ambitious Roguelike that aims to joust with the biggest of the big---though I don't know that a David V Goliath comparison is apt considering I can't in good conscience equate a Sling down to the level of Visual Basic 6 as his weapon of choice. The dude has made quite some progress since the last update about a year ago though!

http://solsticeroguelike.weebly.com/

PRIME is back in action, crazy as ever while apparently rocking the latest gains in NotEye---though I don't know if that means the latest latest NotEye using SDL2 as per the bleeding edge of ADOM backer releases or just far more recent versus the last release.

http://www.pesky-reticulans.org/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

German Joey posted:

Yes, a list so insane and convoluted that it consists of a single line: if the game plays and feels similar enough to the game "Rogue" then it is in the "Roguelike" genre, if it does not then it is not.

Not you. The last time This Discussion happened, someone came in guns blazing and declared pretty much every game a not-roguelike unless it had a minimum of X stats and CRPG advancement etc. It was glorious.

And Abyss Odyssey looks like an instabuy, a roguemetroidvanialike where the combat doesn't suck poo poo?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Abyss Odyssey would be better if it was just about the Chileans and not about the immortal demigods or whatever.

blakyoshi
Feb 17, 2011
We should start calling them ToeJam & Earl-likes instead.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog
On the subject of (maybe possibly okay probably not but please don't start that argument again) Roguelikes...

*Idly tosses Nuclear Throne into the sun.*

I've got 15 hours on this thing now, and hit 6-1 for the first time just now. And I am learning jack and poo poo from 85% of my runs, because I get a nasty enough enemy spawn or screw up something oops dead, but you know, okay, I could handle that alone. It's not great... but I could.

Then I hit something that insta-kills me.

Oh look these enemies have shields, that's cool, wait they reflec, oops, oneshotted by my own Flak Cannon. Oh look, that enemy looks like he has a boombox on his-*oneshotted by thrown car at high speeds*. Oh look, a boss that is entirely built around jumping on your head, doing contact damage and pointblank shot volleys, and then exploding on death.

This is ignoring the ever present "There are cars everywhere" and... basically everything about Stage 4, which takes some very real knowledge of how it functions to not die on consistently, which of course is eight levels in. And... well, Stage 5 is evil, but it's legitimate evil, outside of the boss, but that doesn't help either.

Then I hit 6-1, which is apparently a dark stage, with spawn-in of some kind? with enemies that can melee range explode and one of them successfully did 11 damage to me, oneshotting me.

It's triply frustrating because, well, the game is actually quite good outside of every stage ever having a oneshot explosion and enemy design in general being very obnoxiously fast-kill slippery slope.

But it's just no fun to actually try to beat for me due to these oneshots. Fast kills are fine. Kills I can prepare for in some manner besides spraying off screen (and running out of ammo), sure. But... not this. Which is a shame, as I love both Roguelikes and shmups and this should definitely be a game I like.

In short; :negative: Someone give this goddamn game an invinco period after hits of longer than five frames, and cap damage at 4, please.

Vaos
Dec 30, 2008

Unleash the fiery Armageddon.

I've played a some Nuclear Throne as well (over 20 hours) and managed to loop once (after the final boss was added), here's some info :

- In stage 6-1, there are "Necromancer" type enemies that will revive the basic enemies of the stages (not the explosives ones, but the rat-like enemies) until you kill them. They have some kind of white robes and are usually hanging around the back, as they can't attack you. Usually a good fast firing weapon (laster pistol/rifle, machinegun/assault rifle, auto shotgun...) will do the job, just be sure to rush them after the explosive enemies are cleared.

- For the boss of 5-3, moving in a square like way usually help about not getting the boss stomping on your face. He's really low health too so with a grenade launcher, laser weapon or slugger will do the job.

- The brawler enemies in 5-1 to 5-3 are very deadly when carrying cars around. The not-die-to-explosions perk or an undirect fire weapon (grenades...) assure you that they are not a problem.

- Lighting shotgun (pistol is heh) is a really good weapon past stage 3-3.

- If you ever reach stage 7-1, be prepared with really strong weapons and be sure to move around ! I died in the 6 first seconds in stage 7-1 the first 4 times I reached it because I didn't move enough (spoiler, enemies teleport ON you).

Some deaths really feel like bullshit like you said, such as melee enemies doing 14 damage to you in one second, unavoidable deaths (often on 3-3 due to horrible room...) and such.

Vaos fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jul 28, 2014

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Yeah, the prevalence of explosions past 3-1 means Boiling Veins is one of the best perks in the world. I pick it up no matter what else is there (unless it's really early on) Plutonium Hunger is another top pick for me, just because it means you can suck up rads from a safe distance after sniping someone off.

The boss of 5-3 loving sucks though, the "landing" is almost instantaneous and the initial volley is almost guaranteed to one-shot you. I still have no idea what the boss actually does because I instantly die on landing half the time and the other half I win instantly after taking zero damage.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

blakyoshi posted:

We should start calling them ToeJam & Earl-likes instead.

Is Zombies Ate My Neighbors a ToeJam & Earl-like?

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

Does Boiling Veins actually prevent oneshots if you're above 50%?

I could swear I tried it and got killed from over 50% by an explosion, which means you have to run around more vulnerable to normal attacks and take a mutation pick to avoid oneshots.

Which is about where I start wanting to hurt the developers.

(I miss the old always on version. That was actually good.)

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

DalaranJ posted:

Is Zombies Ate My Neighbors a ToeJam & Earl-like?

ZAMN has fixed levels, and thus ineligible to be a Festooned Abacus.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

SageAcrin posted:

Does Boiling Veins actually prevent oneshots if you're above 50%?

I could swear I tried it and got killed from over 50% by an explosion, which means you have to run around more vulnerable to normal attacks and take a mutation pick to avoid oneshots.

Which is about where I start wanting to hurt the developers.

(I miss the old always on version. That was actually good.)

It does -- any explosion damage that would drop you below 50% will drop you to 50% instead. This means that if you're at 5/8 health and you eat an explosion you'll walk away from it with 4 health. Melting will drop to 1 health from 2/2, which makes Boiling Veins not completely useless on him :v:

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

Okay, that knowledge does help enough that I will probably continue trying.

When I feel more like ramming my head into a wall, I mean.

Gah, the game is so good outside of the cheapshots...

Well, and the questionable weapon balance. Why does the Revolver, SMG, Assault Rifle, Machine Gun and Pop Gun exist? Did you really need five weapons that all do the same damage and just have varying bursts/RoF/spread, and all appear early on in a weapon pool of about ten total options? And then the Pop Gun reflects off walls, rendering the entire set of other guns questionable?

And has anyone really used the Screwdriver for more time than it took to get another weapon that was anything else besides a copy of your other weapon?

But still, there's worse balance than that in games. Sadly.

SageAcrin fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 29, 2014

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
changing the RoF/spread of a weapon usually, uh, makes it into a completely different weapon? just because they shoot projectiles that each individually do 'the same damage' does not mean they do anywhere near the same damage in actual practice to to RoF/spread, and they're effective at different ranges/in different situations. all that means is the shots share a graphic

like Revolver/SMG/Assault Rifle all play totally differently, the only ones that are actually similar enough to overlap are revolver/machine gun which could be fixed just by giving the machine gun a bit higher RoF

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

SageAcrin posted:

Well, and the questionable weapon balance. Why does the Revolver, SMG, Assault Rifle, Machine Gun and Pop Gun exist? Did you really need five weapons that all do the same damage and just have varying bursts/RoF/spread, and all appear early on in a weapon pool of about ten total options? And then the Pop Gun reflects off walls, rendering the entire set of other guns questionable?

And has anyone really used the Screwdriver for more time than it took to get another weapon that was anything else besides a copy of your other weapon?

The pop gun actually deals less damage than the others and doesn't work with recycle gland, so it's far from the king of early bullet weapons. The pop rifle has an ammo efficiency close to the other bullet weapons because it uses 2 bullets for a burst of 3. I remember shotgun fingers being hilarious with the pop guns the one time I mixed them, though.

Screwdriver is one of two purposefully bad weapons in the game (the other being the disc gun), but it's the key to a secret lock :ssh:

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

SageAcrin posted:

The Screwdriver is used to hotwire a car in the junkyard levels. It's kind of deliberately crappy.

edit:added spoiler tag

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 29, 2014

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Count Uvula posted:

Screwdriver is one of two purposefully bad weapons in the game (the other being the disc gun), but it's the key to a secret lock :ssh:
the disc gun is actually quite good if you get good with it :ssh:

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

Oh, Popgun does do less damage? I was mucking with it and I wasn't sure. I liked it the most out of the various bullet weapons(not a surprise, it's the newest and in general the weapon balance has been more interesting on newer/more recently overhauled weapons.).

RoF/spread is interesting, yes. "Burst fire", "Fire single shots", "Fire single shots automatically" and "Fire shots automatically with more spread" is kinda a tiny spread of traits, considering they all run off the same ammo and all the shots do the same damage, so the net result is finding various ways to hit an enemy with the same amount of shots. You could reasonably chuck all but one of those four and it'd be fine(Hell, leave the Revolver, as it's a nice starting weapon).

Although bitching about these over the Triple Machinegun is probably unfair, thinking on it. Anyone gotten good mileage out of it? I want to like it but every single time I use it I just waste ammo, even against huge rooms.

Also; The Screwdriver does special things? Okay, complaint rescinded on that one, that's sorta cute. I want to complain but I can't, it fits the style of the game to hide cute obscure secrets people don't need to win on trashy weapons.

I don't know if "deliberately crappy" is the right term for Disc Gun. It's just frigging doofy in general, I've gotten some decent use out of it once in a while though. By being very, very careful. More like they wanted a weapon that did certain things and wanted it to not be broken for being found early?

Edit:

*Gets to 7-2, dies.* I blame all of you for me continuing to do this. :unsmith:

SageAcrin fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 30, 2014

Vaos
Dec 30, 2008

Unleash the fiery Armageddon.
Actually, the screwdriver does as much damage as the Sledgehammer but attacks way faster. The range is horrid though, rending it mostly unusable.

I also agree on the disc gun being the shittiest gun.

Ah Map
Oct 9, 2012
What really bugs me about Nuclear Throne which I play briefly every so often is getting sucked into the next level when you kill the last enemy.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Ah Map posted:

What really bugs me about Nuclear Throne which I play briefly every so often is getting sucked into the next level when you kill the last enemy.

Big fan of getting yanked toward the portal and then killed by an explosion that was impossible to escape from before the level ends.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

And the portal triggers explosive objects, yeah. You can easily play around it, but it's an odd design decision, that you have to be scared of killing the last few enemies on a stage.

It's weird, because this game is open access.

So the entire thing has a bunch of grating elements that surely they've gotten complaints about, but don't want to change because of their personal vision for the game. If anything, they've doubled down on the design since I started playing.

(Actually, by and large it's the same element, extremely fast kills that are impossible to react to, in a huge set of flavors and types. I play bloody danmaku shmups and I think this game has too high of a kill speed to resources ratio. I get Dangun Feveron flashbacks, though Dangun will forever be king at that.)

But then they want to polish it up as much as possible without changing that.

I guess that's nice, but it seems sorta like saying "I want you to ignore the anchovies in the ice cream. Outside of that, how does it taste?", and that's the nicest way I can think of to put it.

Then again, I guess it's what made me put up with the game so far, so some kind of mission success? :shrug:

SageAcrin fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 30, 2014

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Is the only way I can heal in Rogue Legacy by finding food from destroyed objects?

Just wondering whether there's something I could do when I'm in the lobby of the castle.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

ufarn posted:

Is the only way I can heal in Rogue Legacy by finding food from destroyed objects?

Pretty much, yeah. I mean you can get some backgrounds or traits or whatever that may heal you tiny bits in weird ways, or vampiric gear which heals you when you kill stuff (but reduces your max hp to nothing) and some other stuff like that but by and large, yup, you find food in broken vases and you learn to like it.

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 30, 2014

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
I'm pretty excited for Crypt of the Necrodancer today. It's a shame they're releasing it while I'm at work though.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

the disc gun is actually quite good if you get good with it :ssh:

Disc gun with Y.V.'s upgraded pop pop is brutal.

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

'sup :buddy:
The new version of ADOM (r49 or 1.8.1) is pretty cool, there's more color-coded text, tabbed info screens (inventory, backpack, skills, talents, quests etc) and new movement commands. Auto-explore is pretty drat handy when you only have a few corners left to explore.

edit: welp, met my first ghost

That ghost is my level 4 troll barb who died on level 3 of the puppy cave. It killed me in two hits.

feraltennisprodigy fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 30, 2014

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
Crypt of the NecroDancer now available on Steam! $14.99 for the base game, $24.99 for game+soundtrack.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

Crypt of the Necrodancer is really good! It's kind of real-time with the way the dungeon takes a turn every beat, but everything about the game meshes together marvelously when as you learn it. There's a hardcore mode for roguelike purists, but also a way to gradually level up the dungeon and character per run (rogue legacy style -- you earn diamonds per run, but lose them all at the beginning of the next run. Rewards good play because costs ramp up and you'll need 5+ diamonds to continue upgrading the dungeon)

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

RoboCicero posted:

It's kind of real-time with the way the dungeon takes a turn every beat,
FWIW, for other people, even though Cadence's playstyle is superior, there's another playable character that turns it into a regular roguelike so you can just ignore the beat, although why you'd do that is beyond me.

There's also two other unlockable characters at the moment, obtained by clearing Hardcore mode (no persistent upgrade effects) with at least four more to come.

edit: Some walls have blue specks on 'em, if you dig them out you can find diamonds.

Also, the shopkeeper is the best :3: I dunno what it is but just having an NPC singing along to the music every stage is great.

maketakunai fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 30, 2014

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
Crypt of the Necrodancer is literally everything I wanted.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
Necrodancer is insane. It starts to get pretty difficult in the later zones. At this point I can't even imagine completing the game in hardcore mode.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Lilli posted:

Crypt of the Necrodancer is literally everything I wanted.

I can confirm it is fun. The only problem is that afterwards I try to keep doing things to a rhythm. It's hard to read a thread when I have to keep scrolling the page to the beat of the song I have playing.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Necrodancer is absolutely amazing. Totally hooked. The conga-line zombie boss had me laughing out loud right up until I missed the variable beat and got my head caved in.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

Sundae posted:

Necrodancer is absolutely amazing. Totally hooked. The conga-line zombie boss had me laughing out loud right up until I missed the variable beat and got my head caved in.

That's what it loving was. I keep exploding at the bosses because I keep messing up the beat. Only cleared Zone 2 because I had a potion and was literally on my last half-heart by the end.

I just realized that they give you that room at the beginning to let you practice in before you roll out to face the boss.

Also I thought the game, being in "alpha", would suffer from worse artwork and design in zone 3 due to things not being totally fleshed out and boy was I wrong :stare: The mechanics also seriously ramp up. I have no idea how I'm going to beat this game.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Oh my gods Necrodancer is amazing. Cleared Zone 1 just barely (fell through a trapdoor on floor 4, barely managed to beat the boss anyway), got completely pasted in Zone 2. I'm going to have this game's music stuck in my head, aren't I?

The shopkeepers singing along to the music is hilarious and will never stop being so :colbert:

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
Here's a trick I found: bombs will destroy shop walls, and each wall destroyed drops 10g. If you plop a bomb in a corner you can get 5 tiles for 50g per bomb, so if you've got excess bombs or you're on stage X-3 it can be really good. In Zone 2, the shop has mushrooms in the corners, some of which explode, so you can do the same thing for free.

Sometimes the shopkeeper sells 3-packs of bombs for 60g - if you destroy three corners, you get 150g, so as long as you can get enough to buy those initial 3, you'll make 110g profit easy.

Also, if you see a cracked wall (other than cracked shop walls), break them down with a bomb or a Titanium-or-better pickaxe for a surprise :)

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The shopkeepers singing along to the music is hilarious and will never stop being so :colbert:
It's really the best... but it doesn't work with custom music :(

maketakunai fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jul 31, 2014

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

I have no ability to deal with red dragons :smith:

e: game is amazing fun btw

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

straight jerkers posted:

e: game is amazing fun btw

Red Dragon is a bitch but just wait until you get to face Blue Dragon.

The trick is that you deal with the the same way you deal with Green Dragons but you're forced to attack them only vertically.

EDIT: Has anyone figured out an easy way to deal with Goblins? They're wrecking my rear end every time.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Jack Trades posted:

Red Dragon is a bitch but just wait until you get to face Blue Dragon.

The trick is that you deal with the the same way you deal with Green Dragons but you're forced to attack them only vertically.

EDIT: Has anyone figured out an easy way to deal with Goblins? They're wrecking my rear end every time.

To deal with goblins, I chase them into a corner so they're one or two blocks away, then I turn away and dig a wall or something to get them to approach for the last step. (You can also just stand in place, but that'll make you lose your multiplier unless you have the ballet shoes.)

Digging walls is also useful for dealing with enemies that move every turn like wraiths or mounted skeletons. If you're not at the right distance to step right next to them, just stand in place by digging out a wall and they'll be kind enough to walk into your dagger. All of this is unnecessary if you have a longer-range weapon, though.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jul 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

straight jerkers posted:

If you unlock it at the Bossmaster you should be able to figure it out pretty quickly.
Firstly, they only fireblast horizontally.
Secondly, they only move/attack on every second beat, generally, excepting the below fireblast behavior.
Thirdly, the first beat you get into horizontal range, they charge a fireblast, then the beat after, they fire it. They skip a beat after firing before moving again.
Using this, you can exploit the AI pretty easily: stand directly above or below one and wait for it to get into melee range (assuming you only have 1 range). Attack, move away, attack, move away until you hit a wall. Once you hit the wall, move to the side so the Dragon charges a fireblast at you, then move away from the wall so you're 1 tile diagonally away from the Dragon. The turn you move onto the diagonal tile, it will breathe fire. On the next beat, move back above or below it - the dragon will skip this turn. On the next beat, the dragon will attack, so move away, then attack, then move away.. If you have access to a bow, crossbow, spear, longsword or broadsword this is even easier since you can just run more than one tile away and plink at it, or smash it from the diagonal tile.
Just make sure that when you run out of space and dodge to the side you actually have room to move back towards where the dragon was chasing you (watch out for pillars in cramped rooms).

One cool fire dragon trick: its breath kills the shopkeeper :ssh:

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

To deal with goblins, I chase them into a corner so they're one or two blocks away, then I turn away and dig a wall or something to get them to approach for the last step. (You can also just stand in place, but that'll make you lose your multiplier unless you have the ballet shoes).
War Drum and I think Crossbow reloading let you stand in place, if you have them.

maketakunai fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jul 31, 2014