Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I think we all know who is really to blame, and it's White PeopleTM because of colonialism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

Genocide Tendency posted:

Israel is intentionally targeting Hamas, not schools. Maybe, just maybe its a tad wrong for Hamas launch teams to be using schools as their protection. And maybe, just maybe, the UN should do something about Hamas hanging around and launching rockets from its schools.

Hamas openly goads Israel into shelling these places to win the media war/moral high ground, and israel obliges. Never mind the fact that they usually launch and scatter, meaning return fire has 0 chance of actually hitting anyone but innocents. Hamas is guilty for using them as shields, but Israel is guilty of falling for it like idiots. Mind you, I am not accusing Israel of being the bad guys, I am accusing them of being idiots and causing suffering for no material gain.
I'm ok with causing suffering for material gain, but the means have to have an end to justify them. And the loving launchers are long gone by the time the IDF returns fire, so why the gently caress sacrifice both morals and international opinion for no military gain?

I have no loving idea what the school workers busy helping the injured and consoling orphans/widows are supposed to do about Hamas rolling up, firing, and then rolling away before the return fire rolls in. :shrug:

quote:

I have no idea when the last time a kike strapped a bomb to his chest and blew up a market. But its probably been a while. For filthy rag heads, its been 15 minutes. I'm siding with the Jews.

Suicide bombing has nothing to do with moral high ground and everything to do with a desperate lack of alternate effective modes of attack. If you think jews wouldn't be strapping bombs to their chests if that was all that stood between them and the sea, then :laffo:

Israel has the luxury of high tech low risk weaponry. Palestine does not. It's the only alternative to packing their bags and leaving for "greener" pasture in the neighboring arab lands. Not fighting back ends with the settlers taking everything over and eventually incorporating the palestinian lands, or the west bank at least. Not that I'd mind that end, but the palis do, so..

And as I said, it's loving dumb of the Israelis to put the palestinians in this position with no real plan for what the next step is. Because the current plan leads nowhere productive for anyone.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

No one actually likes the Palestinians, not even the other Arabs. That's why they want them to have their own country, so they go the gently caress away.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

quote:

John Kerry Tells Israel to Cave to Hamas’ Demands

Try as he might to portray himself as a friend to Israel, Secretary of State John Kerry just can’t pull it off. His comments comparing Israel to an “apartheid state” led to not only multiple calls for his resignation, but also legislation aimed at cutting off this administration’s financial support to Israel’s enemies.

Kerry has offered to send the U.S. military to “protect” the Palestinians from Israel and supported efforts to boycott Israeli products to force the Jewish state into concessions to those who would destroy their nation and their people if given the opportunity.

Egypt also opposes the proposal, but it is supported by Turkey, which has publicly labeled Israel a “terrorist state,” and Qatar, “the only Arab state that openly allies itself with the genocidal terrorist group,” Hamas.

http://conservativetribune.com/kerry-tells-israel-to-cave/

More proof the current administration is actively hostile towards Israel.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

chemosh6969 posted:

More proof the current administration is actively hostile towards Israel.

I'm just going to reply to this with "lol" because uh yeah, you're linking a website that posts articles about how the Muslim Brotherhood has infiltrated the White House. This isn't to say that John Kerry isn't a giant sack of poo poo, but find something a little more reputable.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
Israel would be an improvement over Afghanistan, but not quite as good as France, Austria, or Bavaria.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Sup Ukraine?

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

BAH GAWD THAT'S PUTINS MUSIC, WHATS THAT CRAZY SOB GONNA GO NEXT?!?!

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Courthouse posted:

Hamas openly goads Israel into shelling these places to win the media war/moral high ground, and israel obliges. Never mind the fact that they usually launch and scatter, meaning return fire has 0 chance of actually hitting anyone but innocents. Hamas is guilty for using them as shields, but Israel is guilty of falling for it like idiots. Mind you, I am not accusing Israel of being the bad guys, I am accusing them of being idiots and causing suffering for no material gain.
I'm ok with causing suffering for material gain, but the means have to have an end to justify them. And the loving launchers are long gone by the time the IDF returns fire, so why the gently caress sacrifice both morals and international opinion for no military gain?

Spoiler: No one that actually has power to do poo poo to Israel (read: Europe, America) gives a hot steaming poo poo over a bunch of brown people being turned into paste by the judenreich. Israel sells top of the line military technology to china that we give them and that's not enough to break ties with them. You think them exterminating a bunch of muslims that not even the muslim world gives a poo poo about is going to change things?

The only reason Palestine has any support at all is because it snubs Israel. If Israel didn't exist no one would give a gently caress about those people.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Whip Slagcheek posted:

I'm just going to reply to this with "lol" because uh yeah, you're linking a website that posts articles about how the Muslim Brotherhood has infiltrated the White House. This isn't to say that John Kerry isn't a giant sack of poo poo, but find something a little more reputable.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/07/28/us-israel-clash-over-criticism-kerry/
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/07/28/us-fuming-over-israeli-criticism-kerry-bid-to-secure-ceasefire-with-hamas/

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Whip Slagcheek posted:

No one actually likes the Palestinians, not even the other Arabs. That's why they want them to have their own country, so they go the gently caress away.

Which is pretty fitting to the long arc of history since they were probably by and large Jews who converted back in the day.

Israel's wartime behavior is all pretty justified by the laws of war, which contrary to the public's perceptions, actually allow you to kill a very large number of civilians as long as killing civilians wasn't your intention from the start. Missing and blowing up the wrong people is part of wartime and there is little evidence Israel tries to do it as a policy.

The hosed up thing about Israel's treatment of the Palestinian happens in peacetime but that is less sexy. The whole "this large area right here, we have full rights to do whatever to the people in this area, we have territorial integrity of this area, but the people in it have no redress with us, and by the way this will go on for generations." It was normal in the early 20th century but that stopped and Israel never got the memo, borne from the twilight of colonialism.

Like everyone notes absolutely no one likes the Palestinians though, except when its a convenient excuse to get mad at Israel. It's completely true that even if Israel was the nicest country on Earth, anti-Israel activists would still be enraged and demanding their destruction. Europe never got rid of antisemitism, they just got rid of Semites. In the Arab world, Israel is a convenient thing to get outraged about on state run media.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

:laffo:

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Bolow posted:

Spoiler: No one that actually has power to do poo poo to Israel (read: Europe, America) gives a hot steaming poo poo over a bunch of brown people being turned into paste by the judenreich. Israel sells top of the line military technology to china that we give them and that's not enough to break ties with them. You think them exterminating a bunch of muslims that not even the muslim world gives a poo poo about is going to change things?

Don't forget the the time they tapped the White House phonelines, recorded Clinton's personal conversations with Lewinsky, and later went on to mention it to him in a casual way that could in no way be seen as blackmail. That was pretty rad.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I'd be down with withdrawing all aid and support from Israel and just let the desert savages(which includes Israel) kill each other for the next 1000 years. Every single country in the Middle East is a festering poo poo hole. You know Israeli's are lunatics because they purposely immigrated to the loving Middle East of all places. All the smart Jews went to America.

It would be one thing if they were actually a decent ally but they aren't. They keep selling sensitive military technology to China despite the fact that we have repeatedly told them not to over the past 30 years. They just don't loving care.

gently caress the Middle East.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Eel hovercraft posted:

Don't forget the the time they tapped the White House phonelines, recorded Clinton's personal conversations with Lewinsky, and later went on to mention it to him in a casual way that could in no way be seen as blackmail. That was pretty rad.

Why didn't we do this with Merkel's phonecalls? There must have been some dirt the NSA dug up when they tapped her Handy

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Merkel got to where she is by being completely uninteresting. German political structure is basically the opposite of America's in this way. You rise to national politics after being a loyal and suitably bland journeyman for a couple decades. Charisma is safely weeded out at the local level.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Israel is pretty much the shittiest friend you could have with the possible exception of Saudi Arabia.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Best Friends posted:

Merkel got to where she is by being completely uninteresting. German political structure is basically the opposite of America's in this way. You rise to national politics after being a loyal and suitably bland journeyman for a couple decades. Charisma is safely weeded out at the local level.

Yeah but I mean even the blandest person in the world has some skeletons in their closet. Maybe she called her husband a dummkopf when he forgot to pick up milk on the way home, or maybe she eats pork chops without applesauce or some other heinous abomination. Everybody has something wrong with them that can be exploited.

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

Bolow posted:

The only reason Palestine has any support at all is because it snubs Israel. If Israel didn't exist no one would give a gently caress about those people.

Except Europe has this minor problem of muzzie youth unrest. And basically no relevant jewish political/demographic influence due to this one thing a few decades back. Key part being all those kids in the suburbs can vote now, and their kids as well. No one cares much about palestine, but they all care very much about getting reelected. loving over Israel could mean a fair bit of votes in many areas, and when has persecuting the jews not worked for boosting national unity?

The three reasons this is not happening is that politically the popular reaction has been anti-muslim and benefited the extreme right wing over centrist moderates. And while feminist left wingers are very much for multiculturalism, in practice it turns out all those liberal values don't quite square with the longbeards, making any real coalition making impracticable. More relevantly on a strategical level is that while from a political/economical perspective loving Israel would not be too hard a burden, you just can't do that without making enemies of the US. And so long as the US is best friends with Israel you'll never see any relevant EU member doing anything more than limp wristed boycotts against kibbutz orange farmers.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mustang posted:

You know Israeli's are lunatics because they purposely immigrated to the loving Middle East of all places. All the smart Jews went to America.

This is the truth.

Casimir Radon posted:

Israel is pretty much the shittiest friend you could have with the possible exception of Saudi Arabia.

Forgetting Pakistan?

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Yeah neither of those articles say we're deploying the military to defend Palestine against Israel.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

gfanikf posted:

Forgetting Pakistan?

At least Pakistani troops actually accomplish something.

The IDF does absolutely nothing for us that it wouldn't do without our help. We had to hold them back from providing help in the Gulf War, we couldn't use them in Iraq, Afghanistan. They offer nothing. They are literally the worst allies ever. Just a black hole of money and diplomatic clout with the rest of the Middle East.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

the #Pentagon confirms delivery of two types of munitions to #Israel in the last week: 120mm mortar rounds and 40mm grenades, while calling for a ceasefire in #Gaza

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

chemosh6969 posted:

the #Pentagon confirms delivery of two types of munitions to #Israel in the last week: 120mm mortar rounds and 40mm grenades, while calling for a ceasefire in #Gaza

#frogout#

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Panzeh posted:

At least Pakistani troops actually accomplish something.

uh pretty sure the only thing those clowns accomplish is giving me a good laugh with that goofy as gently caress border crossing ceremony they do with india

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Jesse Ventura wins $1.8 million in damages against Chris Kyle, slain Navy SEAL sniper

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Jesse Ventura has aged 35 years in the past 10, but prior to that didn't age since Predator.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

No time to bleed, plenty of time to be a litigious rear end in a top hat.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

chemosh6969 posted:

#OpenlyHostileToIsrael

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

No time to bleed, plenty of time to be a litigious rear end in a top hat.

Hey, say what you want, but slander is slander and apparently Ventura's case was good enough to sway a jury to decide in favor of him instead of a ~murdered hero~. Especially when Kyle apparently named him for publicity reasons, the suit started while the guy was alive, and his estate's got a multi-million movie deal in progress to capitalize on the same book he promoted with that publicity.

It's not like he's stealing money from a widow and orphan anyway, the publisher's insurance policy will likely be paying the claim, not the estate directly.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 31, 2014

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Ventura actually had to meet a pretty high burden of proof to win that case. I'm guessing it was a combination of lovely defense witnesses and a pretty solid alibi that he wasn't in that bar or whatever.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

It was also a split jury decision which is extremely rare in federal civil cases. I guess the two sides agreed to accept the decision as is rather than have to go through another trial and the associated costs.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Godholio posted:

Ventura actually had to meet a pretty high burden of proof to win that case. I'm guessing it was a combination of lovely defense witnesses and a pretty solid alibi that he wasn't in that bar or whatever.

I thought he acknowledged that he was in the bar and only claimed that Kyle made up some of his remarks and the fight? In any case, the jurors didn't actually reach a unanimous verdict (it was 8-2, cf. http://www.oregonlive.com/lake-oswego/index.ssf/2014/07/chris_kyle_trial_jurors_warn_t.html). Another interesting bit:

quote:

In his closing argument, [Ventura's lawyer] Olsen said he believe[d] Kyle's estate has earned more than $6 million from the book, and suggested that $5 million to $15 million would be reasonable compensation for what he said was irreparable harm to Ventura reputation.

So yeah, they actually were trying to bankrupt a widow (unless they think the movie deal made them shitloads of money, but Ventura has dealt with Hollywood enough to know better than that).

quote:

U.S. District Judge Richard Kyle, who is not related to the author, told jurors they weren't charged with determining whether Ventura was punched, but rather whether he was defamed by the remarks Kyle attributed to him.

Interesting jury instructions if the reporter is recounting them accurately.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
This is what I don't understand about Hamas. If you want to be a legit terror organisation, your opponent has to look powerless to stop you from escalating violence against civilians. So how come there aren't huge waves of car bombings in Israel like there are in Iraq? Why rely on totally lovely missiles that no Israeli is really scared of? Is the IDF really capable of enforcing such a police state that this is impossible?

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Interesting jury instructions if the reporter is recounting them accurately.

really? are you surprised that people are dumb enough to not realize they're sitting on a libel/slander case rather than an assault/battery case?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Flaky posted:

This is what I don't understand about Hamas. If you want to be a legit terror organisation, your opponent has to look powerless to stop you from escalating violence against civilians. So how come there aren't huge waves of car bombings in Israel like there are in Iraq? Why rely on totally lovely missiles that no Israeli is really scared of? Is the IDF really capable of enforcing such a police state that this is impossible?

Movement of people and goods into and out of Gaza is tightly controlled by Israel and Egypt in the name of security and of "putting Gaza on a diet". The best weapons they have to launch attacks against Israel are literally warhead-less rockets made out of metal pipes and launched by fertilizer and ammonia.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

RandomPauI posted:

Movement of people and goods into and out of Gaza is tightly controlled by Israel and Egypt in the name of security and of "putting Gaza on a diet". The best weapons they have to launch attacks against Israel are literally warhead-less rockets made out of metal pipes and launched by fertilizer and ammonia.

Look guys! I bolded the funny!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
They're nicknamed "Piss Rockets". Here is one in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpqiHchsbE0

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
It must be terrifying for those poor Israelis having to live with such a threat.

• Locked thread