Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Ometeotl posted:

Sheik's trailer has been posted. Nice little callback at the beginning there.
Is she using the teleportation songs to make elemental effects? That's pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

That dude is actually a woman, and she's the president/CEO of Koei-Tecmo. I don't blame you for not knowing, I didn't know of her until she showed up on that Fatal Frame stream a little while ago.
I know this is the internet, so you have no real way of knowing this before hand, but I was using dudes as a catch all. If I was going to call them all men I would of gone with "LOOK AT ALL DEM BLOKES" or something,

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Have they mentioned who is working on the music for Hyrule Warriors? For some reason it feels like MASA, the usual Warriors guy, isn't the one on point for this.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Since Sheik's got the harp and Zelda has the Wind Waker, Link has to have the ocarina as one of his alternate weapons, right?

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Groose will get the Ocarina. You know it to be true.

He will fling rocks, and steal one of Links musical instruments like Zelda did.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
Sheik looks like a lot of fun.

Even though Groose and Tingle would be great to have, I really want the following 2 characters:

Nabooru and Fierce Mask Link from Majora's Mask.

I see Nabooru fighting using two scimitars at once. Fierce Link just makes everything explode.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Nihilarian posted:

Is she using the teleportation songs to make elemental effects? That's pretty cool.

Yeah it rules, that poo poo also hit me with gently caress-tons of nostalgia and I want to play her just to listen to the music.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Crawfish posted:

Groose will get the Ocarina. You know it to be true.

He will fling rocks, and steal one of Links musical instruments like Zelda did.

We all know Groose would play the oboe.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Nihilarian posted:

I heard the fire and water sage songs, so it's likely she uses those six for the various elemental effects alongside some other well-known ones.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I dig how Sheik can start up area attacks then move on to waste even more people while the attacks keep on keeping on. That's pretty unique out of the dudes we've seen thus far.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Geostomp posted:

I heard the fire and water sage songs, so it's likely she uses those six for the various elemental effects alongside some other well-known ones.

I heard Sheik play the Prelude of Light and then the floor began glowing white/light/yellow elemental as an attack so you're probably right.

edit: I watched the video again. Nocturne of Shadow makes a purple blast and the Song of Storms makes a small tornado like thing around Sheik. Awesome!

edit 2: Maybe Sheik is in the Forest Temple. At the end of the video she is clearly fighting one of the Poe Sisters.

Spectacle Rock fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jul 30, 2014

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
I wish Young Link was still in Smash so his Final Smash could be Fierce Diety Link, but since that's not happening I can only hope he's the Lu Bu equivalent in this game somehow.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I dig how Sheik can start up area attacks then move on to waste even more people while the attacks keep on keeping on. That's pretty unique out of the dudes we've seen thus far.

Yeah, she seems particularly mobile, which definitely goes with her character.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Look, the Hyrule Historia is incorrect. There are three timelines but they are different.

1) The Imprisoned is destroyed, and Demise does not reincarnate -> Minish Cap -> FS -> FSA -> TLoZ -> Z2:TAoL --> ALttP -> ALbW -> Oracles

2a) Link goes back in time and destroys Demise. Imprisoned never exists, Demise reincarnates. -> OoT -> Child Link timeline -> MM -> TP
2b) Link goes back in time and destroys Demise. Imprisoned never exists, Demise reincarnates. -> OoT -> WW -> PH -> ST

Hyrule, Labrynna, and Holodrum are to the west of Donkey Kong Islands, with New Hyrule further west. West further still is Isle Delphino and The Mushroom Continent. Right off the west coast of Mushroom continent is The Donkey Kong Islands. Please understand this only encompasses The northern hemisphere, primarily. There are other Nintendo franchises in equatorial and southern regions. The advanced wars and Fire Emblem continents for example, which are actually pretty small.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah but where do the CD-i games fit in?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

homeless snail posted:

Yeah but where do the CD-i games fit in?

That's in the Excuuuuuuuuse Me, Princess! dimension with Captain N.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

At least he acknowledges that the ending to Skyward Sword is sort of stupid, and that if Ocarina of Time can split three ways, dumb arse Sky Link leaving the Master Sword in the past sort of fucks up continuity a bit. At the very least, killing the guy the plot revolves around well before the game even starts surely has to make it's own split.

So I agree that the Historia time line is just something to shut up the fan base rather than anything they really planned out as they went along.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
CD-i and animated series both take place during Link's seven year sleep in Ocarina of time.

I forgot to say when Link's Awakening took place. That was actually off the coast of Mario continent, when a Toad was accidentally reincarnated as Link. Blue Toad specifically.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

greatn posted:

CD-i and animated series both take place during Link's seven year sleep in Ocarina of time.

I forgot to say when Link's Awakening took place. That was actually off the coast of Mario continent, when a Toad was accidentally reincarnated as Link. Blue Toad specifically.

LA Link was the same as LttP Link, though.

LA Link made me think the phrase "Real Housewives of Hyrule"

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Crawfish posted:

So I agree that the Historia time line is just something to shut up the fan base rather than anything they really planned out as they went along.

The timeline section basically states "gently caress it this is what we're gonna put out now and it could change with future games"

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

razorrozar posted:

LA Link was the same as LttP Link, though.

LA Link made me think the phrase "Real Housewives of Hyrule"
He just thought he was because of Magikoopa's post-hypnotic suggestion.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Lessail posted:

The timeline section basically states "gently caress it this is what we're gonna put out now and it could change with future games"
Sounds about right.

Still. It's just a weird situation. They could of not dumped a needless and poorly done time travel mess at the end of the game they released at the same time, and everything would of made complete enough sense and been fine.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Crawfish posted:

Sounds about right.

Still. It's just a weird situation. They could of not dumped a needless and poorly done time travel mess at the end of the game they released at the same time, and everything would of made complete enough sense and been fine.

Yeah time travel is weird

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Thankfully, Hyrule Warriors takes place in the Universe in which Biff got the World Series book and Donnie has already been squished by the jet engine.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Kyte posted:

You need to pay to watch archived Nico streams.

gently caress.

Kurtofan posted:

It's only in Japanese so I doubt you're missing much. I'm guessing we'll see it in a direct.

My Japanese is good enough that I understood the gist of what they were saying in the last stream.

Plus, I wanna see the inevitable Groose reveal live.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I forgot, what time is the stream? Preferably in EST, but whatever works.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Ometeotl posted:

I forgot, what time is the stream? Preferably in EST, but whatever works.

It starts in 11 hours 10 minutes.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I guess I'm sleeping in tomorrow, then.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Man I can't tell what time zone I should be looking at for the Niconico stream

Would it be alright to ask for help on how long till it starts?

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Man I can't tell what time zone I should be looking at for the Niconico stream

Would it be alright to ask for help on how long till it starts?

5 hours, 40 minutes from this post. The stream apparently opens 10 minutes before according to the site.

It's 2 pm Japan time, 1 am EDT, 10 pm PDT.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Crawfish posted:

At least he acknowledges that the ending to Skyward Sword is sort of stupid, and that if Ocarina of Time can split three ways, dumb arse Sky Link leaving the Master Sword in the past sort of fucks up continuity a bit. At the very least, killing the guy the plot revolves around well before the game even starts surely has to make it's own split.

Honestly, I don't really see how the decline timeline makes sense. Why would that be the only time link failed? Wouldn't it be easier just to say that the 3d games and the 2d games aren't mutually canonical? Plus the whole implication of "this one hero really sucked so he died, everyone else who tried to save the world did just fine."

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
They're compatible enough. Lttp was the one that introduced the Seven Sages in the first place and even before the 3rd timeline was revealed, the idea was it was in a timeline where the 7 had to seal ganondorf away without a hero, hence the common theory that lttp was in the child timeline.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Honestly, going full sperg here, I don't know why they didn't just take all of the four sword related stuff and dump it in the Master Swordless SS Hyrule timeline, treat OOT as the sealing war and dump all of the decline line either post Twilight Princess or pre The Wind Waker.

You could even use that to bullshit explain how both Twilight Princess and Minish Cap's cities in the sky were a thing.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Nintendo really needs to make a 4 player online Four Swords Adventures sequel. That was such a good Gamecube game. Easily one of my favorite Zelda games.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
As long as they reincorporate the GBA Four Swords thing where you could throw pots on other people's heads. Then, on their end, the screen gets blacked out except for their character with a pot head.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Zaphod42 posted:

Zelda games aren't about combat, they're about adventure.
Combat is part of adventure almost always and it's a pretty common thing in LoZ!
It's certainly not the only thing, or exactly the focus, but it's a pretty integral part of the games and I don't get why you would purposefully make it totally trivial, which is basically what grabbing all the heart containers does.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 31, 2014

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Because I find it more fun to collect all the heart containers than I do not doing this thing. I don't care if it makes it easy.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

Combat is part of adventure almost always and it's a pretty common thing in LoZ!
It's certainly not the only thing, or exactly the focus, but it's a pretty integral part of the games and I don't get why you would purposefully make it totally trivial, which is basically what grabbing all the heart containers does.

It doesn't really matter if you get it.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

IronicDongz posted:

You say that as if collecting all vs. some heart pieces makes a large difference in the combat of most Zelda games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Speaking of combat, I really liked the unlockable attacks Twilight Princess gave you through out the game. Combat in Zelda is still too simple to make them all that great, but I still enjoyed the back roll, and probably would of liked the helm splitter if it wasn't awkward to do on the Wii version.

• Locked thread