Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

What's the most you've ever made selling virtual goods to nerds?

I made a cool few hundred off of Azmodan runs for people back when you could exploit that as well as off of the RMAH breaking pots and selling stuff from Act 4 Inferno back when you could glitch that as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Also if you see any really good examples of people paying real money for stupid virtual stuff in Games post it here; I think we should keep the forums invasion stuff to a minimum though (I know I will since I'm bad at it) and gather our energy for the next rental instead of messing anything up. Star Citizen is obvious and low hanging fruit so ehhhhh maybe something worthy of Imp Zone Curation

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Please remember the rules of buying stupid poo poo

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Widestancer posted:

I made a cool few hundred off of Azmodan runs for people back when you could exploit that as well as off of the RMAH breaking pots and selling stuff from Act 4 Inferno back when you could glitch that as well.

i used ahk to make a really bad bot that just searched for legendaries below a price threshold and then bought them which i later resold for more monies

also steam trading cards are cool since i can buy a bad indie bundle with 1 game i want and the cards will make the purchase cost back + a bit more sometimes

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Holy poo poo someone just bought an out of box used Earthbound cart for 130 on SA Mart

I have the original box and guide for mine I should probably sell it for like 500 or some dumb poo poo like that to someone who doesn't want to pay a few bucks for a virtual console version or use an emulator

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
I made like $2 from steam trading cards I got just for playing games

Of course I hate playing games so gently caress that noise

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
30 bucks twice, once from a dota item and another for a heartstone beta key.

i've made 40+ from selling cards.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Widestancer posted:

Holy poo poo someone just bought an out of box used Earthbound cart for 130 on SA Mart

I have the original box and guide for mine I should probably sell it for like 500 or some dumb poo poo like that to someone who doesn't want to pay a few bucks for a virtual console version or use an emulator

ripping off nerds is a time-honored tradition so go for it

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Sold betrayal at house on the hill for $80 on SA mart, $30-40 over retail because its out of stock for a few months

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Widestancer posted:

I bought a boxed copy of Bronkie the Bronchiosaurus at a flea market for 2 dollars and sold it on ebay for $65

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5siN03nyJc

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I sold the "Wild Kantus" multiplayer skin - which carried no in-game benefits, just a character model unlock - I got for preordering Gears of War 3 for like $8 on eBay

The real joke here was that I preordered GoW3

I played it for all of 2 hours :negative:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
tf2 items are still pathetically expensive at times, you can make jacksons pretty easily by just having a macro pretend to be a really bad/confused player and bouncing around from quickjoin server to quickjoin server

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

How many people who post in the dota threads have spent more than 5 dollars on an in game item

:stare: does 345 even get you any in game benefit?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
dota 2 items are purely cosmetic or else the game wouldn't be balanced

also you can get a different quality version of the same cosmetic for <$100, and it looks exactly the same in game

Soral
May 30, 2009

i have purchased team fortress 2 crate keys with real life currency, before

Soral
May 30, 2009

someone please tell me how retarded i am

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Soral posted:

someone please tell me how retarded i am

Extreme Retardation. :( Sorry matey.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

zen death robot posted:

Do you remember former epic poster Sid Vicious? Well he blew his money mostly on poo poo like weed and other things he couldn't afford, but they were mostly tangible items at least!

It's an almost equal waste of money IMO.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Where all retards who waste money on dumb poo poo here in the Imp Zone.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Wormskull posted:

At least we have Games to laugh at while crying on the inside

Soral
May 30, 2009

i have made several dollars worth of profit from steam trading cards

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The best thing I sold was a Professional Kill Streak Shotgun Kit for 14 dollars or whatever. But I just bought TF2 poo poo with it because what the hell else am I going to do with steam money.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Long long ago I got scammed out of a, I think like 200 something dollar hat but it's like, whatever, I spent 2 dollars on the key to open it and it was mad ugly anyway, and I don't even play medic.

Unbearable
Apr 3, 2011

Back when CSGO beta invites were still new and relatively rare they went for almost $200 each on eBay. :v:

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I've made a net profit of 16 bucks on steam market transactions, so that makes it okay to buy long live the queen trading cards.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

BKPR posted:

I've made a net profit of 16 bucks on steam market transactions, so that makes it okay to buy long live the queen trading cards.

Pedophile.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

that LP actually finished and never got gassed

LP mods knew

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Wormskull posted:

Hola

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

http://wiki.teamfortress.com/w/images/8/89/Scout_dominationhvy03.wav?t=20100625232634

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

we'll let the free market decide that :c00l:

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Soral posted:

i have purchased team fortress 2 crate keys with real life currency, before

I bought a few for dota until I realized I probably wasn't going to get anything good. Plus you have to buy a specific key for a specific type of chest which is total bullshit imo.

I made ~$70 selling steam cards during the best. Like $22 of that was from a foil don't starve card. Man I wish those super inflated prices were still going since I have hundreds of those dumbass cards clogging up my inventory.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 31, 2014

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I know a guy who has eleven (11) of the $100 TF2 rings. He is a byob poster now.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Lost count at this point of cards and tf2 stuff sold and bought, but I have definitely not made a profit.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

qnqnx posted:

Lost count at this point of cards and tf2 stuff sold and bought, but I have definitely not made a profit.

GabeN's benevolent whisper on the wind: Nor should you, my son.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Imp Zone > Let's Play Money Spending in TF2/Dota 2 Game

Wormskull posted:

The best thing I sold was a Professional Kill Streak Shotgun Kit for 14 dollars or whatever. But I just bought TF2 poo poo with it because what the hell else am I going to do with steam money.

I sold a Professional strange SMG for $15 that I was told I was not going to sell ever. Then intermediately after bought a different Professional kit.
Now that I think about it Quake Live coming to Steam maybe could let you buy pro with steambucks, much like with T:A.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Greetings. My name is Wormskull. I spend 200 hours a week in other games to fund my Quake Live habit.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Widestancer posted:

In the wild and crazy days at the start of D3, before the RMAH came up, it wasn't unusual to sell a dude gold, have him buy out a bunch of your items on the AH, and then turn around and sell the guy his own gold back. I made a lot of money off of people like that. All told, D3 made me about a thousand dollars during the life of RMT in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hampsterdance
May 25, 2013

zen death robot posted:

Do you remember former epic poster Sid Vicious? Well he blew his money mostly on poo poo like weed and other things he couldn't afford, but they were mostly tangible items at least!

He sounds like a sound investor after what I blew on graduate school.

• Locked thread