Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

Mustang posted:

It must be terrifying for those poor Israelis having to live with such a threat.

Do you mind if I mortar your neighborhood with your friends and family a few hundred times a month?

Don't worry though I'm a terrible shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Well as long as the cat isn't hurt, I don't really care. If it wasn't for the camera I'd think the dog was just digging the holes.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

Do you mind if I shell or carpet bomb your neighborhood with your friends and family a few hundred times a month?

Fixed that for you

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mustang posted:

It must be terrifying for those poor Israelis having to live with such a threat.

[vid]israeli weddign + cowering[/vid]

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

Mustang posted:

I know right. I dont want to get someone or somethings piss on me either.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

Do you mind if I mortar your neighborhood with your friends and family a few hundred times a month?

Don't worry though I'm a terrible shot.

Hundreds? No month before July reached anywhere near 100 and for the first half of the year there were about 170 total rocket attacks that managed to injure a whopping 4 people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Palestinian_rocket_attacks_on_Israel,_2014

After 2500 rocket attacks in July managed to injure 34 people.

Yes, the Israeli's are clearly the victims here.

Israel is a terrible "ally" that can't even have the decency to not sell our military technology to the Chinese.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
My favorite thing about isreal is they have attacked us navy ships and the us was like welp, ok, don't do it again you plucky little guy.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
I don't get all of the outrage around the Chris Kyle thing. Dude was apparently a douche who libeled Ventura; why are people getting up in arms about this?

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
my favorite thing about israel is that as we speak they are killing subhuman mooslems and thats pretty neat

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

my favorite thing about israel is that as we speak they are killing subhuman mooslems and thats pretty neat

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
My favorite thing about Israel is that it's going to get this thread gassed.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
not if whip does his drat job! fucker must be out eating donuts again

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
In other news this monster meal could be a real killer.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
:siren: WHIP WE HAVE DONUTS!! :siren:

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/A3P9ysR.jpg :nws:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jul 31, 2014

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

If there's one thing we can all agree on it's that titties are awesome

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Mustang posted:

If there's one thing we can all agree on it's that titties are awesome

I've seen some terrible titties. :smith:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Zeroisanumber posted:

I've seen some terrible titties. :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtB_jvznaNM

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

This thread sucks again, what the gently caress. Go back to your ghetto, DND.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Courthouse posted:

Suicide bombing has nothing to do with moral high ground and everything to do with a desperate lack of alternate effective modes of attack. If you think jews wouldn't be strapping bombs to their chests if that was all that stood between them and the sea, then :laffo:

The Jews regularly attacked civilian targets using car bombs and IEDs back before when the state of Israel was a thing and the Jews actually were (sort of, at least until the Brits left) the plucky underdogs. Of course since Jews are smart, they generally didn't stick around to blow themselves up.

gfanikf posted:

Forgetting Pakistan?

We haven't bothered to even pretend they're a friend for at least the past 5 years or so.

Also lol at Pakistani troops accomplishing anything other than being slaughtered wholesale at a rate slightly less than the ANSF.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

psydude posted:

I don't get all of the outrage around the Chris Kyle thing. Dude was apparently a douche who libeled Ventura; why are people getting up in arms about this?
After living through his governorship I have no doubt that he would have said what he was purported to say, he's got quite the history of saying stupid things (And exaggerating his service record). Even if Kyle was lying going after his widow is pretty low.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Casimir Radon posted:

After living through his governorship I have no doubt that he would have said what he was purported to say, he's got quite the history of saying stupid things (And exaggerating his service record). Even if Kyle was lying going after his widow is pretty low.

To be fair, the lawsuit was initiated prior to his death. It just took awhile to wind its way through the court system.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Whip Slagcheek posted:

To be fair, the lawsuit was initiated prior to his death. It just took awhile to wind its way through the court system.
He could have dropped it.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Casimir Radon posted:

Yes, yes he could have.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Casimir Radon posted:

Jesse 'THE BODY' does not drop nothin, punk.

Saturn889
Jul 13, 2014
Ventura's a dick and always talk out of his rear end. See any O&A clip with Jimmy Norton arguing with him. He resorts to disagreement by calling people "patriots" sarcastically.

Also, from the clips I've heard of Chris Kyle describing the incident, I would believe him - guess we will never know.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
IIRC, Ventura offered to drop the suit if Chris Kyle (and later his estate) was willing to just come out and say that he made the whole barfight episode up.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Mustang posted:

Israel is a terrible "ally" that can't even have the decency to not sell our military technology to the Chinese.

Is this the Jon Stewart "Because the Israelis have the good sense to build bomb shelters to shelter themselves from bombs instead of shelter their bombs and die topside, they're being totally unfair" argument?

RandomPauI posted:

They're nicknamed "Piss Rockets". Here is one in action.

Here's the piss rockets they're using these days:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZkCnel5Js4

Which Hamas can't aim worth a poo poo, hitting a hospital and a refugee camp, killing 20-odd Palestinians:

Of course the Al-Shifa hospital is already being used as a Hamas command center with an interrogation room right next to the ER. Journalists slipping up and mentioning this are getting death threats online and rather more direct ones in person.

Coincidentally I ran across this, from the former UK commander in Afghanistan:

quote:

DD: How has the British army in Afghanistan gained from the Israeli army’s expertise?

RK: There are a number of elements that Britain has taken from the Israeli army. One of which is methods of reducing civilian casualties that we’ve seen in operation since Afghanistan, where Britain has adopted tactics like leaflet dropping on targets with potential civilians in the area. British soldiers lives have also been saved by Israeli battlefield medical technology and also by Israeli counter-bomb technology, that is, technological equipment that stops or detects improvised explosive devices like roadside bombs. British soldiers’ lives in Afghanistan have been saved and are being saved by that technology. Beyond that, British and Israeli intelligence cooperation is extremely tight and that has saved the lives not just of soldiers but of British civilians as well. By the way, British soldiers and ex-soldiers strongly support Israel and the IDF because unlike many civilians, they understand the threat that Israel faces they understand the tactics used by Hamas and they understand what the IDF have to do to deal with Hamas because those same tactics are used by the Taliban and in response, British soldiers have to use the tactics of the IDF to fight them.

I'm assuming the leaflet dropping is more 'Bad guy X lives in your neighborhood, move away or throw him out' as simple 'we're bombing here' leaflets go back at least to WWII. But he has a point that if you've used counter-IED tech (this is more for GiP than our D&D visitors) you've quite probably had your rear end saved by the Israelis at least once.

(This post typed out using an Israeli CPU)

Saturn889
Jul 13, 2014

Snowdens Secret posted:

Is this the Jon Stewart "Because the Israelis have the good sense to build bomb shelters to shelter themselves from bombs instead of shelter their bombs and die topside, they're being totally unfair" argument?

Here's the piss rockets they're using these days:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZkCnel5Js4

Which Hamas can't aim worth a poo poo, hitting a hospital and a refugee camp, killing 20-odd Palestinians:

Of course the Al-Shifa hospital is already being used as a Hamas command center with an interrogation room right next to the ER. Journalists slipping up and mentioning this are getting death threats online and rather more direct ones in person.

Coincidentally I ran across this, from the former UK commander in Afghanistan:

I'm assuming the leaflet dropping is more 'Bad guy X lives in your neighborhood, move away or throw him out' as simple 'we're bombing here' leaflets go back at least to WWII. But he has a point that if you've used counter-IED tech (this is more for GiP than our D&D visitors) you've quite probably had your rear end saved by the Israelis at least once.

(This post typed out using an Israeli CPU)

They aim specifically for civilians. In their case lovely aim is a good thing

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Also: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/30/world/africa/ransoming-citizens-europe-becomes-al-qaedas-patron.html

quote:

While European governments deny paying ransoms, an investigation by The New York Times found that Al Qaeda and its direct affiliates have taken in at least $125 million in revenue from kidnappings since 2008, of which $66 million was paid just last year.

In news releases and statements, the United States Treasury Department has cited ransom amounts that, taken together, put the total at around $165 million over the same period.

These payments were made almost exclusively by European governments, who funneled the money through a network of proxies, sometimes masking it as development aid, according to interviews conducted for this article with former hostages, negotiators, diplomats and government officials in 10 countries in Europe, Africa and the Middle East. The inner workings of the kidnapping business were also revealed in thousands of pages of internal Qaeda documents found by this reporter while on assignment for The Associated Press in northern Mali last year.

In its early years, Al Qaeda received most of its money from deep-pocketed donors, but counterterrorism officials now believe the group finances the bulk of its recruitment, training and arms purchases from ransoms paid to free Europeans.

Put more bluntly, Europe has become an inadvertent underwriter of Al Qaeda.

(emphasis mine)

Of course we pay some $400m a year to terrorists disguised as aid, so

Saturn889
Jul 13, 2014

Snowdens Secret posted:

Also: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/30/world/africa/ransoming-citizens-europe-becomes-al-qaedas-patron.html

(emphasis mine)

A few top US corporations paid a gently caress ton of money in fines, when Obama turned up the santion heat and they didn't want to comply. IMO allowing Iran oil interests to do business with your bank IS funding terrorism directly, indirectly however you want to think about it.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Snowdens Secret posted:

(emphasis mine)

And we give Israel $3 billion a year just to turn around and sell military technology to China. Israel doesn't deserve a single cent from the US. They can't even stop buildings settlements or stop selling military technology to China.

gently caress Israel. gently caress Palestine. gently caress the Middle East.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Mustang posted:

gently caress Israel. gently caress Palestine. gently caress the Middle East.

This is really the takeaway message here.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
We can take i/p stuff to GBS or DND. This threads been doing to well for to long to let a war get it gassed.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Ah yes. Gas a current events thread for discussing current events.

Seems legit.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Genocide Tendency posted:

Seems legit.

Disagreements are frightening and must be avoided.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Genocide Tendency posted:

Seems legit.

Jews posting jew news, of course D&D's first instinct involves rushing for the gas

Also I really don't think GBS's input of a bunch of anime clipart would be terribly relevant

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Jews posting jew news, of course D&D's first instinct involves rushing for the gas

Also I really don't think GBS's input of a bunch of anime clipart would be terribly relevant

D&D are a bunch of pearl clutching faggots and Stalin apologists.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

Snowdens Secret posted:

But he has a point that if you've used counter-IED tech (this is more for GiP than our D&D visitors) you've quite probably had your rear end saved by the Israelis at least once.

Well let's see - MRAPs come from the South Africans, while CREW systems and CIED robots were US initiatives. I don't doubt that Israeli tech and techniques have made it into the EOD realm, but the same could be said for the British, who gained a wealth of knowledge in CIED operations from fighting the IRA.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Mustang posted:

Hundreds? No month before July reached anywhere near 100 and for the first half of the year there were about 170 total rocket attacks that managed to injure a whopping 4 people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Palestinian_rocket_attacks_on_Israel,_2014

:rolleyes:

Name one loving ally in the history of ever who hasn't sold technology to the Chinese.

I'm dead goddamn serious. Hell we get in the same game in the U.S. Private companies love blowing off the law and sending poo poo to China they "shouldn't." Welcome to the drawbacks of free and open societies and reliable and cheap lines of international communications and transportation.

Israel is our bulldog on a tenuous leash in the region, and our universal arming of the Middle East has been more destabilizing many times over when compared to the exploits of the Israelis and their quirky modern Gaza problems.

You don't seem to "get" the long arc of anything, let alone the history of American intervention in the region.

The worst loving ally to have in the Middle East is the United States.

Step one in the problem is admitting you have a problem- and in the spirit of that, perhaps we should review the long term security benefits of the Military Sales Jamboree in the region we're having in exchange for short term profits to our MIC, and extremely short lived goodwill from dubiously rational state and non state actors.

But hahahahahaha hahahahaha. I'll drink NyQuil and Boxed wine while building a pillow fort in Vas's basement before we ever have a moment where we question the "common sense" of our middle eastern "strategies" (And I can't put quotes around this hard enough),

No matter what happens, ultimately there are too many people, too many guns, not enough livable land, and not enough water and food. Give poo poo enough time, and one group is going to have to destroy the other as a separate and competitive force. Either this will happen through assimilation of one culture and peoples into the other, or one will become a footnote to history like the Iroquois or say, Sioux.

Human kind hasn't got the best history of assimilation however, particularly when it comes to these plucky motherfuckers on both sides.

In my opinion Our worst "allies" by far are France and Germany. And personally I love those smelly Muslim hating Frogs myself, and I'll never find myself comfortable with the Germans.

Ever.

I'm serious though, if you want a terrible goddamn Ally in the Middle East, the United States is your man. We'll happily arm your people to the teeth, spread about the blackbowder, Chuck a CALCM or Tomahawk, and watch the sands burn while laughing maniacally.

I loving love America.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jul 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

psydude posted:

Well let's see - MRAPs come from the South Africans, while CREW systems and CIED robots were US initiatives. I don't doubt that Israeli tech and techniques have made it into the EOD realm, but the same could be said for the British, who gained a wealth of knowledge in CIED operations from fighting the IRA.

The quote and the context suggests he's talking the electronic gizmos we don't talk about, not stuff like V-hulls.

The real stuff I mean, not the car-antenna-with-a-handle the Egyptians can cure AIDS with

• Locked thread