Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pram
Jun 10, 2001
best part? but that sounds bad LOL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

it's actually african for "unable to configure debian" :xd:

lol

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

debian is the linux for me i guess

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
desbian

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

BONGHITZ posted:

debian is the linux for me i guess

its the best because it doesn't get unnecessary updates

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Internaut! posted:

I like working with the Linux kernel a lot

why, it's not like it's a particularly well designed or innovative unix and much is positively archaic

Mach + BSD = win

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I don't have a reason to use either bit conceptually bsd owns like way more

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

eschaton posted:

why, it's not like it's a particularly well designed or innovative unix and much is positively archaic

Mach + BSD = win

the developer is angrier

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
I installed Ubuntu w/ gnome 3 recently and it was way less hassle than a windows install is and it works great and overall I would say that my problems were indeed solved

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress how little is a windows install anyway

i mean maybe post install but install?

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

the best part of the USE flag is that none of the packages standardize on it or use the flag in a different way, so something designed to save you from ./configure -dicks -puppies -kitten -1 -2 -3 -4 -5 -6 -7 requires you to add and remove them when you find out that make fails or the program doesn't do The Thing
what the package calls it in the configure script doesn't matter. it's the ebuilds that decides what the use flags are called, and those are more or less standardized.

http://www.gentoo.org/dyn/use-index.xml

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

im going to install fedora on my second hard drive and then accidentally boot into it occasionally and groan really loudly because there is zero reason for me to ever boot into linux

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

linux will go on disk 2
grub will end up on disk 1 :twisted:

haha there's one called "BURG"

Elos
Jan 8, 2009

http://funroll-loops.info/

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
i installed an ubuntu last nite. the live cd thingy worked really well :) then after i installed it proper it would not work right with my graphics adapter :( apparently the driver for the live version doesnt work on a hard drive???

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Panty Saluter posted:

i installed an ubuntu last nite. the live cd thingy worked really well :) then after i installed it proper it would not work right with my graphics adapter :( apparently the driver for the live version doesnt work on a hard drive???

i have one machine that has this issue with literally every other Ubuntu release for five years. like, they fix it every release and then break it in the next one with amazing consistency. I have no idea how they keep loving this up.

lol, Linux

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

i installed slackware 10 in whatever year that came out (2004?) and used it for about 10 minutes before concluding (correctly) that linux was garbage and that i would never use it again

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

rotor posted:

I installed Ubuntu w/ gnome 3 recently and it was way less hassle than a windows install is and it works great and overall I would say that my problems were indeed solved

i pushed the power button on a new mac recently and it was way less hassle than installing something and it works great and overall i would say that my problems were indeed solved

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer
run arch on my "server", works for me

except when i updated it in the first time in a year and it broke loving everything

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

has anyone tried manjaro

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Breakfast All Day posted:

has anyone tried manjaro

one time in college

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

The Management posted:

one time in college

passing around a livestick but didnt install

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
arch really loving sucks bad, use debian old packages wont kill you

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

what is a good antivirus for linux? norton doesn't seem to offer any packages

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
there's an avg for linux i guess

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
clam av?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
i wonder if some terbonerd somewhere is using arch linux for a drbd cluster

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~
omg people really talking about installing gentoo itt

Dicky B posted:

lol if you're too dumb to check arch news before pacman -Syu. like do you not learn lessons ever

it's time for this "blame the user" mentality to die

so the package tells you that you need to make changes, but isn't it the package maintainer's responsibility to take care of that for me, especially since the new default configuration is COMPLETELY USELESS FOR EVERYONE

also maybe waiting until AFTER i've installed the package to tell me that I'm going to be spending the next half hour reading man pages and manually patching all my machines is wrong. if packages can output text post-install, why not pre-install when its doing all that package checking, etc

Mr Dog posted:

if u actually continue to use arch you deserve everything you get

have you considered using a distribution of linux known as fedora, op?

i haven't tried it lately but it was hecka bad last time and arch was the easiest thing to set up that also allowed me to with bleeding edge stuff. that may be different today but i'm not going to go distro hopping just to find out.

RZA Encryption posted:

cunty just has to do things the hard way because if gnome point releases had a physical manifestation she'd be camped out like it's the goddamn apple store.

not denying this

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

oval office AND PASTE posted:

omg people really talking about installing gentoo itt

i used to play around with gentoo back when it was new and i was dumb(er) -- there's actually a lot of fun to be had there, and some interesting things you can learn

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

oval office AND PASTE posted:

it's time for this "blame the user" mentality to die
arch is an awful distro that breaks during updates frequently enough that "check arch news before you update" has become common knowledge. if you didn't learn it the first time it happened then you're awful too

if this was the first time then welcome to arch :3:

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

If one of the main goals of Arch is to keep things simple, then releasing an update that stops your machine from running at all does make things simpler. Working as intended, won't fix.

I have one pc at home that I run Arch on, because it is a rather slow cheap pc from about a decade ago that still runs fine for what I wanted it for. Nothing else I considered was easily configurable enough. I'd never run it in production, probably easiest to use RHEL for that.

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

prefect posted:

i used to play around with gentoo back when it was new and i was dumb(er) -- there's actually a lot of fun to be had there, and some interesting things you can learn

I too installed a gentoo before. . . even used it as my main distro for about 2 years.

It taught me what I needed to know about linux, to use an OSX

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
hell, i think my most shameful moment was using gentoo, with some distributed compiling deal, in order to use 2 labs full of sparcstations for all the compilation.

fun fact, while i did not use kde a friend did, kde would not distributed compile and took overnight to compile.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
why do you even need a distro anyway

just grab linus' kernel and tweak your minix setup to boot from it

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

i once put a linux on my
main machine and got
pretty comfy using it, I liked the desktop cube and everything worked. then one day a popup helpfully suggested that I might want to upgrade my distro by clicking yes and after that everything was hosed to a point where I said gently caress it and reinstalled windows 7.

at work when I started they asked me do you want a windows workstation or a linux one. i said windows right away.

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

becuase a mac wasn't an option.

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

Dicky B posted:

arch is an awful distro that breaks during updates frequently enough that "check arch news before you update" has become common knowledge. if you didn't learn it the first time it happened then you're awful too

if this was the first time then welcome to arch :3:

oh i'm totally aware

yospos bitch, etc

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Sudo Echo posted:

if your linux is running xorg you aren't using it right. it's meant to sit in a corner with no monitor and never be touched. much like its devs.

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

its really weird, like you guys haven't tried gnome 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i actually tried gnome 3 because you were here raving about it and yeah it's okay, but i discovered i like it better on something like a laptop than an actual desktop with a 21+ inch monitor

• Locked thread