Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Don Lapre posted:

Nobody actually uses scrollwheel tilt do they?

I'm never using a mouse without it again.

But for the people who complain about it, I guess it's good they have a better option now. I'm sticking with the G502 (used, funnily, on my work laptop rather than anything I play any games on) while continuing to hold out hope that one day LGS on OS X will work properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

So I know these are scattered throughout the thread, but here's another positive Logitech support story. I won a G400 from World of Tanks during a contest they had in early 2012. I didn't open it right away but I've been using it for a year and a half or so. The USB cable seems to be failing because it randomly dies when moving left or right and won't reconnect until I use another USB plug, which will only last a little while until it happens again. Despite not "buying" the mouse, Logitech support got the manufacture date from the serial number and covered me under warranty anyway. They're shipping me a G400S to replace it for no charge and they don't even want the G400 back. After various crazy computer part RMAs I've had to do in the last 20 years, this was the easiest warranty support I've ever had to do.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Don Lapre posted:

Nobody actually uses scrollwheel tilt do they?

Someone in this thread was trying to convince me that tilting the scrollwheel while holding a mouse button was a legitimate gaming use. I'm perfectly happy living without carpal tunnel.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Jan posted:

Someone in this thread was trying to convince me that tilting the scrollwheel while holding a mouse button was a legitimate gaming use. I'm perfectly happy living without carpal tunnel.

Really? You thinking pressing the RMB with your middle finger while tilting the mouse wheel with your index finger would cause you carpal tunnel? What kind of weird way of mouse holding do you use?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Goo posted:

There was a firmware/software update for Proteus Core a few weeks back that added the ability to change the brightness of the LED. Hyperion Fury has this feature as well.

Oh my stars and garters, is that released now or what? My LGS says my mouse is up to date but I can't change the brightness, just tell it to turn on/off (either all the time, or after X units of time) and also there's some option for game related but I haven't ever used that so I dunno what it does, actually.

Thanks for any info you can relate, I appreciate the adjustable brightness a great deal though at the moment I don't know how to get it/use it. Also, please tell me it doesn't have a solid shot of bricking my mouse when updating, as right now I'm running without a backup and it doesn't seem to have any issues otherwise :ohdear:

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Agreed posted:

Oh my stars and garters, is that released now or what? My LGS says my mouse is up to date but I can't change the brightness, just tell it to turn on/off (either all the time, or after X units of time) and also there's some option for game related but I haven't ever used that so I dunno what it does, actually.

Thanks for any info you can relate, I appreciate the adjustable brightness a great deal though at the moment I don't know how to get it/use it. Also, please tell me it doesn't have a solid shot of bricking my mouse when updating, as right now I'm running without a backup and it doesn't seem to have any issues otherwise :ohdear:

Download the july 10 LGS release if you haven't. When I started it up after installing that, it instantly told me I needed a firmware update for the mouse

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

TheQat posted:

Download the july 10 LGS release if you haven't. When I started it up after installing that, it instantly told me I needed a firmware update for the mouse

Huh, this worked perfectly. I reckon I only thought my software was up to date, in that case. I like the changes - now I can have DPI lights visible all the time so my wife and I can use our preferred sensitivities more easily (she uses way saner lower DPI, and understandably thinks I'm silly for running 4700/5600 but :pcgaming:).

I also thought that my high DPI was causing my mouse pointer to ever so slightly wiggle between adjacent pixels because I do use a fairly high DPI and I use a smaller cloth mousing surface for comfort; turns out that was just a bug in the firmware apparently.

The only "inconvenience" to me during the process was that I had to unplug and replug the mouse :effort:. I guess I also had to retune because the previous tuning felt a little off, taking a whole handful of seconds :monocle:. No negatives, and several rad feature improvements, thanks very much Goo and TheQat for helping me!

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Mouse wheel tilt is pretty cool, it's the way to control system volume.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
The firmware update for the 502 is great.. pulsing LED :)

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

niss posted:

The firmware update for the 502 is great.. pulsing LED :)

Yeah, I can leave it at full luminosity for its maximum range but set it really slow and it has a very nice, subtle, breathing glow kind of thing instead of the constant superbright from before the software & firmware update. Combined with always-on DPI LEDs, I have more lights active on the mouse, but it looks a lot better and way less super bright, and I find the DPI at-a-glance to be both cool looking and convenient. It's cool when a company has the capability due to good, flexible hardware to augment functionality like this.

While I'm sure there will be a portion of them that do get bricked on installation, based on a bunch of people talking about using the file that the Logitech Gaming Software downloads directly in your OS instead of running it via the LGS; it just doesn't match my experience. I used the LGS software to take care of it and it just required me to unplug the mouse, then plug it back in so that it could do its thing. Took a few seconds to update the firmware and it was good to go.

The internet obviously has more unsatisfied people being vocal than satisfied people, and that probably explains the situation sufficiently, but I was pretty concerned that there was some kind of broad bug in Logitech's software and I stood a decent chance of being mouseless for a while :downs: I reckon that Coolermaster's mice probably don't just routinely eat poo poo after relatively light usage, either, or they wouldn't be popular - I know my experience there is almost certainly more negative than most would have, and reading my thoughts someone could be forgiven for thinking that mouse blows when it's competitive with other laser mice for sure, so long as it holds up. Even has some neat features, like the little OLED screen with DPI numbers, customizable lighting with several colors saved to profiles, and while the sensor it's using isn't perfect, it is still one of the industry standards for high-end gaming mice. Logitech just one-upped the standard by quite a lot.

Anyone with another quality optical mouse want to share their thoughts on how other good mice compare in terms of tracking quality and adjustment with the new Logitech sensor (or sensor array, since I guess there's quite a bit going on there and more and more stuff with different mice to fit different niches)? I guess just G502 comparisons, since that's the really fancy sensor out at the moment, isn't it?

Surely there's more to the world than Avago; are there any other companies making proprietary sensor setups like this, or is that a first-to-market thing for Logitech?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Goo, can you say anything about whether there's going to be a G702? It seems like inevitable if the rest of the gaming lineup has all been updated.

Jan posted:

It was me, and I still can't see why you find it at all strange, or what carpal tunnel has to do with it.

Normally you tilt the wheel (to the right) by sliding the tip of your index finger a bit to the right until you touch the wheel, don't you? Now just do it while also exerting slight pressure down (ie clicking the left button). I could try and record a video if it's necessary.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Well the new LGS update bricked my G502. Something happened during the installer that errored out, but upon dismissing the Windows crash notification the LGS installer acted like nothing bad had really happened since it said it was a successful install.

As soon as that was done a popup came up telling me I had to update the firmware on my G502 and to unplug and plug it back in. So I did that and it acted like it was starting the flash of it, only the progress meter never moved an inch, even after letting it sit there for 10 minutes or so.

Now I can't use the mouse at all and had to go find my old G5 to have any mouse at all. Looks like it's time to open a Logitech support item.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

NihilCredo posted:

Normally you tilt the wheel (to the right) by sliding the tip of your index finger a bit to the right until you touch the wheel, don't you? Now just do it while also exerting slight pressure down (ie clicking the left button). I could try and record a video if it's necessary.

Now do this again with a fingertip grip.

edit:
vvvvvvvv
Since I have a G602, I can just save myself the trouble and use one of the thumb buttons.

When someone suggested using the mouse tilt for tab switching, I instead set up a next/previous tab on my thumb buttons... Amounts of times used: 0. I have a keyboard for that.

Jan fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 2, 2014

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
OK, doing a mouse wheel tilt while holding down the LMB is indeed kind of weird and slightly awkward. Doable, but not the most natural or comfortable thing. But you can easily combine the tilt (in either direction) with any button press not done by the index finger (RMB, thumb buttons, etc.)

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm operating the mouse wheel using my middle finger - ideal for tilting in any situation! Using the index finger seems uncomfortable and awkward to me. Basically, y'all are holding your mice wrong. I think I'll be offering a course on "correct mouse usage", soon.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 2, 2014

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
What's the choice for a cheap, but good mouse? Doesn't have to have any fancy features (two button and scroll wheel), and the wife prefers wired (But a non-lovely wireless would be good too).

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Gothmog1065 posted:

What's the choice for a cheap, but good mouse? Doesn't have to have any fancy features (two button and scroll wheel), and the wife prefers wired (But a non-lovely wireless would be good too).

Logitech G400s. The only wireless mouse I'd recommend is the Logitech G602.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Random discovery: if any fans of the old MX Revolution miss its thumb-wheel feature, I just discovered that there is another mouse with that feature, the Nexus SM-5000. It doesn't look too bad and it's reasonably priced ($30-$40 apparently).

Gothmog1065 posted:

Well, how cheap are we talking about? Using Logitech mice (since I'm more familiar with them and they have a broad price range), $10 will buy you the Logitech M100, which I doubt is significantly different from just about any other $10 mouse, as you can guess from the pictures. Then if you step up to $30 you can get the M500 which is already a quality mouse with ergonomic shape, forward/back thumb buttons and the Logitech metal scrollwheel (ie 90% of the features on the expensive $70+ mice).

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Gothmog1065 posted:

See if you can get a G100s on sale. Fantastic simple mouse, regularly on sale for cheap, and the limited dpi switching is nice for multiple users.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
She's going with the M500. The G400 is too fancy for her, and she liked how the M300 looked. Thanks again!

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

NihilCredo posted:

Random discovery: if any fans of the old MX Revolution miss its thumb-wheel feature, I just discovered that there is another mouse with that feature, the Nexus SM-5000. It doesn't look too bad and it's reasonably priced ($30-$40 apparently).

Oh that is cool as heck, I loved that thing. Volume up, volume down, mute. I mean I know every keyboard worth a poo poo has dedicated media controls (not to disenfranchise the tenkeyless community!!) but it was super handy just having it right there. But it wasn't really doing anything a few buttons can't do, and it was a little over-engineered given that its job is difficult to justify from anything from a convenience and maaaybe looks perspective (as opposed to just having some buttons there). Was a really neat feature, even if a little peculiar.

Wouldn't fit on a G502, have to kill the (admittedly somewhat too far forward) DPI downshift button, I guess, though I would love to hear why it was axed since there are some other mice in the lineup that look like they could fit one with a bit of work on the part of the engineers.

I may have already just sort of stumbled into why (if nothing else, it's a decent just-so story :v:) but it would be interesting to know for-real why the thumb wheel button thing went away, if that's something that can be shared. Nixed to make room for other stuff, or because it wasn't pulling its weight as a feature?

real_scud posted:

Well the new LGS update bricked my G502. Something happened during the installer that errored out, but upon dismissing the Windows crash notification the LGS installer acted like nothing bad had really happened since it said it was a successful install.

As soon as that was done a popup came up telling me I had to update the firmware on my G502 and to unplug and plug it back in. So I did that and it acted like it was starting the flash of it, only the progress meter never moved an inch, even after letting it sit there for 10 minutes or so.

Now I can't use the mouse at all and had to go find my old G5 to have any mouse at all. Looks like it's time to open a Logitech support item.

This is what I was afraid would happen with mine, based on reading a bunch of poo poo online about people with this issue. Did you do it from within LGS or did you go manually to where LGS downloads the firmware update and run it like that? Either way, that sucks, sorry to hear it. Sample size n=2, 50% failure rate, disaster :ohdear:

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

NihilCredo posted:

Goo, can you say anything about whether there's going to be a G702? It seems like inevitable if the rest of the gaming lineup has all been updated.
I am prohibited from participating in speculation about future product development.

real_scud posted:

If the LED is still flashing when you plug it in it's stuck in bootloader mode. If you haven't already, uninstall/reinstall LGS with the G502 unplugged, run the firmware updater again manually (default location C:\Program Files\Logitech Gaming Software\FWUpdate\G502), and then plug in the G502 when it tells you to. It should recover. If this doesn't work, then contact Support.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Goo posted:

I am prohibited from participating in speculation about future product development.
If the LED is still flashing when you plug it in it's stuck in bootloader mode. If you haven't already, uninstall/reinstall LGS with the G502 unplugged, run the firmware updater again manually (default location C:\Program Files\Logitech Gaming Software\FWUpdate\G502), and then plug in the G502 when it tells you to. It should recover. If this doesn't work, then contact Support.
:thumbsup: that worked like a charm. I had actually already contacted support about the issue and they issued a replacement but I guess I'll try to cancel that if possible.

You should also make sure that the support people know these steps since when I called the woman told me to turn off UAC, plug my mouse into a different USB port and then try plugging it into another computer. None of which obviously did a damned thing.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
Support is supposed to know these things but not everyone follows all the documented steps. And many of them support multiple product lines and multiple generations of those product lines, so remembering everything can be tough.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
drat Goo, that AMA got a lot of attention. I guess that's to be kind of expected since people tend to really care about their mice, but I wouldn't have expected that much.

E: And you answered like every question. :drat:

--

What's the deal with laser vs optical sensors? It seems a lot of people insist that Sperg Prime choice for mice is an optical sense for some reason, but I've never really had an complaints with my laser mice. Is it like a mech keyboard where you don't know what you are missing until you have one, or is it a non-issue?

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Aug 7, 2014

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

drat Goo, that AMA got a lot of attention. I guess that's to be kind of expected since people tend to really care about their mice, but I wouldn't have expected that much.

E: And you answered like every question. :drat:

--

What's the deal with laser vs optical sensors? It seems a lot of people insist that Sperg Prime choice for mice is an optical sense for some reason, but I've never really had an complaints with my laser mice. Is it like a mech keyboard where you don't know what you are missing until you have one, or is it a non-issue?

You should've at least linked the AMA - http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2ctdbm/iama_product_manager_for_gaming_mice_at_logitech/

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

There was a bigger explanation a few pages back, but the summary is:

Under high or sudden acceleration, a laser sensor may report inaccurate data about movement (eg: opposite direction, no movement, etc). The optical sensors don't do this.

Improvements are being made all the time, so expect better sensors (or combinations of sensors) of either type to appear and become recommended.

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

Thanks for linking it.

Reading through it, the few responses of 'well, we make different mice because some people love feature X and others can't stand it!' reminded me of something that has kind of been bothering me when Logitech's new products have launched and I've felt like 'OK tell me everything about this mouse!', and look at their website: Sometimes it's actually kinda annoying to figure out what features a mouse does and does not have just based on reading the pages for them alone. It would be really nice if the info for when you use the product comparison feature they have was also included somewhere on the page (eg in the spec) or something, since it'd make it instantly clear if there's a tilt wheel or what kind of sensor they use without having to compare it with some other mouse that does have that feature. There's just didn't seem to be one place to look to really get the lo-down on their new mice, I usually end up needing to read the marketing, the spec, and do a product comparison to feel like I know everything, and it'd be nice if they were at least all on the same page. I guess it'd be nice if some more of those big dividing lines were included in the spec? Then again, maybe I'm missing something.

(Also hoping for a G702 some day. Well, some kind of update to the G700 anyway? I've never really understood how the G602 and the G600 were related after the 502 and 402 came out to suggest that pattern)

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Mastigophoran posted:

(Also hoping for a G702 some day. Well, some kind of update to the G700 anyway? I've never really understood how the G602 and the G600 were related after the 502 and 402 came out to suggest that pattern)
I'm pretty sure Goo has hinted at a G702 being in the works but because it's in the works he can't actually talk about it until it's officially announced.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

real_scud posted:

I'm pretty sure Goo has hinted at a G702 being in the works but because it's in the works he can't actually talk about it until it's officially announced.

He has dutifully repeated the necessary line about being unable to talk about potential products, yea or nay, but with all the logitech reps getting especially tight lipped when a replacement for the 700 or G9 comes up, and the line getting refreshed otherwise with the Proteus Core and Hyperion Fury, hardly seems a stretch to guess there'll be a top end model with all the goods we're getting lately.

Feature request for any possible top end mouse: more profiles than the G502 will store. Hell, it's probably too late to even mention feature requests if it is close to launch (assuming we're right that it is in fact on the way), given the 402's recent release and what that suggests about the product roadmap, but what the hell, it's nice being able to talk to the goo who oversees this stuff.

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

real_scud posted:

Yeah, I know; I mean, I can't imagine something wouldn't be in the works either way, but he always seems to appreciate people showing their interest.

You can see why they don't talk about them though - it's kind of interesting really to see the (somewhat unusual) features they've been adding to their line up recently, and how they imply the customers they are designing their mice for - strange high speed accelerometers for the low sensitivity market, a 3rd main mouse button for their MMO users, insanely high DPI and a tunable sensor for the, I assume, high sensitivity market. I'm not really sure who the G700 was designed for, other than someone who really likes draining batteries, but whatever they come up with, it's probably going to be pretty amazing.

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now
I want a smallish mouse to keep in my backpack with my tablet. Is there a wireless mouse that is Bluetooth without a nub but can be used as a wired usb mouse while it's recharging?

I have a Gigabyte GM-M7700B which covers everything but the wired while charging part.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Mastigophoran posted:

I'm not really sure who the G700 was designed for

People who think cradles belong in the dust-bin of technology with optical media and keyboards for video game consoles.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Wait, there are people that use their index finger for the tilt/scroll wheel? I am confused. How do you click at the same time, then? Middle finger (ha!) or bust.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Geirskogul posted:

Wait, there are people that use their index finger for the tilt/scroll wheel? I am confused. How do you click at the same time, then? Middle finger (ha!) or bust.
...what. Why do you need to click at the same time you're scrolling?

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Maybe not the exact same time, but rapidly switching between the two?
Although when I'm doing that I'm middle clicking on things anyway.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

zachol posted:

Maybe not the exact same time, but rapidly switching between the two?
Although when I'm doing that I'm middle clicking on things anyway.

The mousewheel is literally right next to the LMB - it's very easy to put your index finger at a position that you can scroll the wheel without actually having to move it at all horizontally.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I middle to get the wheel and ring finger the rmb

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
I use the forward thumb button on my both G400s and G9x as the middle mouse bind. The actual middle mouse button and rear thumb button are used for page up and page down. It works really well for both gaming and reading long documents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
I liked the G502 a lot when I bought one while I RMA'd my Zowie EC1, but holy crap it's a heavy fucker in its stock state. Literally the only think about it I didn't like, but it matters a lot (it was approximately 30g over the EC1). Best sensor Logitech's ever had for sure. People like the G9x, but it had a trash engine inside of it.