Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

maketakunai posted:

War Drum and I think Crossbow reloading let you stand in place, if you have them.

Technically, every usable item lets you stand in place. The drum, crossbow and blunderbuss are just the only three non-consumable ones. I guess you could also do it by swapping holstered weapons...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Found a ring of phasing in a shop for 12 gold :psyduck:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

A friend of mine worked on NecroDancer so I've been looking forward to this release for a long time. The rhythm mechanic is downright entrancing, I don't even care that I'm terrible!

Out of curiosity, if my friend asks me for any feedback is there anything I should mention? Difficulty seemed like a concern since naturally people working on the game have gotten so much practice that it can be hard to judge balance.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
A couple things -- some kind of library function would be nice. I know everyone runs to the wiki first thing but it'd be cool to have more obvious cues as to what obsidian / gold / blood does, or what the various rings do without spoiling yourself for future items.

If exiting the training rooms (boss, miniboss, monster) took you to the subroom instead of all the way back to the lobby

Speaking of, weapons training would be neat too, especially due to the flail or cat o nine tails which interact with enemy turns weirdly.

I was also surprised that there's no non-hardcore way to play through all the zones at once, unless I'm missing something. I'm getting completely demolished by zone 3 and I can't save up more than 6 gems a run to unlock the last few things in the shop. It'd also be nice to just see how far you can go non-hardcore-ed-ly.

Difficulty-wise I feel like zone 3 is a tad bit too open, but I'm also now reaching level 2 of zone 3 fairly regularly instead of dying on floor 1. It's mostly me stumbling into slimes like a doofus, since most of the mechanics aren't too bad in isolation. Oh! It'd be nice if sliding on ice didn't reset your multiplier, just because there's so much of it around. That might be as designed though.

Other than that, the game is fantastic! I had a :aaa: moment in zone three when I realized that the music switches depending on whether you're in the hot zone or the cold zone

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

I think it would be really nice if it just listed all of your equipment and its effects when you pause the game.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
Knowing that the shrine of rhythm will kill you if you miss a beat would be nice to know before you click the shrine. First time I hit it I didnt even know why I died and I had forgotten I hit the shrine on the previous floor. Also some way to let players know what items do that isnt guessing and checking would be nice.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Oh, c'mon, it's a roguelike! Try them out and see what happens! Games don't need to be totally transparent to be fun.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
As long as you don't push buttons while sliding on ice, you don't lose your multiplier.

drink_bleach
Dec 13, 2004

Praise the Sun!
I've been pumped forever for Necrodancer but I'm not sure I got my 15$ worth.

Burned through Zone 1, 2, 3 on the 'easy' mode figuring out the mechanics, then beat it on hardcore mode. All together maybe 4-5 hours. Not sure what to do now though. I guess the only thing to do is try get on the leaderboards?

Obviously there is still another zone to be completed and new characters to be designed. Unlocking the additional two new characters they just seem like increasing the difficulty rather than introducing interesting or new mechanics.

I also have no idea what any items do, and for success I just don't touch shrines at all.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Oh, c'mon, it's a roguelike! Try them out and see what happens! Games don't need to be totally transparent to be fun.

I agree, but Ive never thought instant death mechanics are fun, especially with no way to know beforehand without reading a wiki.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Lilli posted:

I agree, but Ive never thought instant death mechanics are fun, especially with no way to know beforehand without reading a wiki.

Maybe not fun for the person playing. I don't think I'll ever forget the several seconds of complete stunned silence when I watched a roommate finally get to the castle level in nethack and try to open the gate with a wand of striking :)

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

I'm trying to set up CotND for play with an Xbox 360 controller and while the directional movements and pause button work fine, there is evidently no confirm button nor any way to get out of the pause menu without using the keyboard once I'm in it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It's true, it's possible to overlook all kinds of flaws if core gameplay is solid enough.

What's your point? :v:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's true, it's possible to overlook all kinds of flaws if core gameplay is solid enough.

What's your point?

My point is that games should be allowed to have some degree of exploration of mechanics in them, including figuring out by observation what happens when you do things. They don't have to do this, but being fully-transparent by default is not inherently superior to hiding mechanics and letting the player figure them out. It's not a "flaw", it's just an implementation that isn't to your particular tastes.

If you really care enough to know exactly what everything does without having to figure it out on your own, I'm sure the inevitable wiki will help you, albeit at the cost of breaking the flow of the game. Which is actually pretty important for Necrodancer -- I'm sure they did everything they could to minimize the text you have to read, because you need to always be doing something.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog
Actually, let's distill this down to the core, really.

Obfuscation in a strategic game that requires a certain level of skill generally equals trial and error gameplay.

(Or wikis/guides. Let's ignore the wiki option as the wiki option is essentially the tableflip I'm not bothering with this obfuscation option.)

Trial and error gameplay equals a feeling of progression and accomplishment totally divorced from anything but time. You become more powerful over time, because you can manage to observe basic traits.

This is not a terribly hard skill; Children have been telling you a ball is not a triangle for quite a while now. So, mostly a time cost.

People like having a way that shows constant, steady improvement in a game, without it walling them off based on a glass ceiling skill requirement.

Plus, it makes wikis basically into cheat codes, for the amount of power they give, without making the game totally easy.

In summary; Obfuscation has about the same role as grind more does, as far as I can tell. Most of that same feeling of accomplishment and power can be gained through allowing liberal and powerful grinding.

I'm not sure this is a bad thing, objectively. The logical part of wonders "Why the hell not? It makes more people like the game.". But the subjective part that likes to clear games pretty fast without putting up with trial and error BS kinda recoils in horror at that design. There's a reason I haven't bothered with Nethack.

Actually it's my crippling auto-exploration and/or mouse movement addiction, I have tried it a few times and that's what really turned me off.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
That or the game isn't done and they haven't programmed in the tooltips yet.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

Oh, sure, but I mean generally on this issue.

Necrodancer, it's probably that. :v:

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
The most important thing to know in necrodancer is what weapons do and you figure that out after using them once.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Clever Spambot posted:

The most important thing to know in necrodancer is what weapons do and you figure that out after using them once.

Except the whip, I can't suss out how that poo poo works. I think I've got it down to "attacks a random monster nearby sometimes unless attacking that monster would prevent you from dying in which case it just does nothing".

This game is aces, btw. Super fun, everybody get in.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

madjackmcmad posted:

Except the whip, I can't suss out how that poo poo works. I think I've got it down to "attacks a random monster nearby sometimes unless attacking that monster would prevent you from dying in which case it just does nothing".

This game is aces, btw. Super fun, everybody get in.

I really don't like the whip.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

uPen posted:

I really don't like the whip.

There are four shades of color there, red is hit and the rest are not?

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
This is a really fun game, but holy poo poo I am not good at it. I finally beat zone 3 though, the boss is surprisingly easy considering how difficult I found the levels. I think if I ever run it on hardcore I'm going to find a weapon and then just dive past everything else.

drink_bleach
Dec 13, 2004

Praise the Sun!

Dross posted:

I'm trying to set up CotND for play with an Xbox 360 controller and while the directional movements and pause button work fine, there is evidently no confirm button nor any way to get out of the pause menu without using the keyboard once I'm in it.

Y moves up in menus, A moves down in menus, B confirms selections

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
Wow, player ghosts in ADOM are really stupid. Every turn it drained 2 or 3 of my stats until toughness and strength were like around 2 or 3 (initially at 14+ each).

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what's a good roguelike with a strong necromancy system / minion summoning system.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Necrodancer makes me feel like the dumbest person on the planet. Every single death is my own idiot fault

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Turtlicious posted:

what's a good roguelike with a strong necromancy system / minion summoning system.

TOME. Alchemists have a single tough minion, summoners have lots of expendable ones, necromancers are a bit of a mix, Doomed have very low-micromanagement shadows that spawn constantly. Something for everybody!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The golem in TOME is mostly good for being a "meat"shield to hide behind while you chuck alchemical bombs at everything in sight, though.

You'll also either need to cheat a little or play something else to unlock the classes that aren't Alchemist, since TOME has an unlock system going on.

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

'sup :buddy:

Edwhirl posted:

Wow, player ghosts in ADOM are really stupid. Every turn it drained 2 or 3 of my stats until toughness and strength were like around 2 or 3 (initially at 14+ each).

I just turn around when I get to a level with a ghost on it and do a different dungeon instead. Come back later when you're more powerful and have some sick gear, possibly some wands

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

straight jerkers posted:

Necrodancer makes me feel like the dumbest person on the planet. Every single death is my own idiot fault

Play Spelunky.

Are there any downsides to end a level by running out of song if you have already killed the boss? It has happened to me a couple of times while digging for golden keys.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Fat Samurai posted:

Play Spelunky.

Are there any downsides to end a level by running out of song if you have already killed the boss? It has happened to me a couple of times while digging for golden keys.

Reaching the end of the song or falling through a trap door will kill your multiplier, but that's about it.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Reaching the end of the song or falling through a trap door will kill your multiplier, but that's about it.

Considering I miss 1 in 8 beats it isn't such a big deal. Thanks.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

Turtlicious posted:

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is pretty good at both. Summoners can conjure up lots of temporary minions and necromancers/death knights can raise a small army of undead to follow them from level to level (and raise hordes of zombies that will only stay on one level).

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

Do note, though, that if you're looking for a dedicated summoning playstyle, ToME is probably better for it.

If you just want some occasional zombies, though, Crawl works for that quite well.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

SageAcrin posted:

Do note, though, that if you're looking for a dedicated summoning playstyle, ToME is probably better for it.

If you just want some occasional zombies, though, Crawl works for that quite well.

Someone never played an old Mummy Summoner apparently. :colbert:
Anyways if anyone wants a good laugh take a look at the Slash'Em extended page.
http://nethackwiki.com/wiki/Slash%27EM_Extended
by laugh I mean nervous laugh as you slowly lose faith in humanity :negative:

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
Crypt of the necrodancer crashes after the first load screen, and I'm already hooked by the music :( Anyone else run in to this?

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

Lawman 0 posted:

Someone never played an old Mummy Summoner apparently. :colbert:

Strong emphasis; old.

Last I heard, they tossed Summoner from Mummy suggested classes, though that might have changed again.

Also MuSu was both the most boring thing ever and worse than KoSu. :colbert:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Necrodancer's hardcore mode seems kind of BS. You start off with only two heart containers, so most of the dangerous enemies will one-shot you. Unless you get lucky and the first shop sells an extra heart container or some good armor, you'll die from a single mistake.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
Once you clear the first zone you should have gotten some decent items by then so you'll no longer get one shot. The first zone is not that hard and I'm pretty horrible at the game. In the end though, it is a rogue-like game and you're going to have games where everything goes against you and games where everything goes your way. I wouldn't want them to make it too easy because I enjoy the challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
Solution: don't make a mistake! :eng101:

If you can clear Zone 3 (which you should be able to before diving into Hardcore), then Zone 1 monsters' patterns should be trivial. I don't think anything in Zone 1 can one-shot you except maybe Spike Traps and maybe a Dragon or Minotaur?

You can also find hidden shops in the cracked walls which can sell glass gear (for coins), upgrade your gear (for coins), sell you gear to permanently take away a heart (er, might not solve your problem), or dump you in a cage with two minibosses (black teleporter) which gives you a choice of items after you kill 'em.

Another strategy is to use offense as your defense; typically, everything requires being in melee range to damage you (some zone 2 or 3 mobs can hit you diagonally, I think a certain Zone 3 mob can hit you from two spaces away, and of course Dragons or Death Metal using Fireball/Ice Breath); bows, crossbows, spears and longswords give you an extra tile of survivability, and if you can find glass weaponry, it'll one-shot everything except Minibosses which'll take two hits and mobs with "invulnerability periods".

willus posted:

Crypt of the necrodancer crashes after the first load screen, and I'm already hooked by the music :( Anyone else run in to this?
I can't help, but speaking of music, they're all at \Crypt of the NecroDancer\data\music\ :ssh:

maketakunai fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 1, 2014