Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

quote:

Camp Anadyr
Artemisa, Cuba
October 18, 1962

<Translated from Russian>

Andrei wiped his brow once more with the handkerchief. It was already sopping wet with his sweat. High noon in the Cuban sun. Not the right place for a good Soviet boy. He turned his eyes back to a horizon that shimmered and twisted in the heat. There was nothing in sight but empty green plains and the vastness of the ocean. Odd that the world could seem so still when it was on the verge of collapse.

"Ah, comrade. I see I'm not the only one suffering."

His fellow soldier showed it far worse than him. Nikolay's uniform was stained with patches on his armpits and back that only got bigger as their patrol shift continued. "It's too hot," Andrei agreed.

Nikolay stifled a laugh. "We didn't have this heat back in Moscow, yes? Maybe we should send some of it home."

Andrei gritted his teeth. "This is home now," he mumbled.

"Don't look so grim, comrade!" Nikolay laughed and patted him on the back. "If you're lucky the Americans will blow us all to pieces. The heat will be the least of your worries then." Andrei tried to ignore him. "Till then, let's say we just enjoy the scenery, yes?" Andrei looked back to the deserted horizon. It was at least a nicer sight than the military base behind him. A nicer sight than those missiles.

"I did enjoy the scenery," Andrei said. "Six months ago I enjoyed it plenty."

"Maybe you just need to see some new sights. Like those Cuban women, maybe?"

"I already told you-"

His breath caught in his throat. Standing on the other side of the wall, not six feet away on the other side, was a man. He was clad in a bizarre red and purple outfit and on his head was an equally outlandish helmet. How had he got there? Andrei would have seen him approach for miles. It was only then that he remembered they were three stories high.

The man stepped over the wall as if he wasn't even aware he had been floating in the air. Andrei's RPK machine gun was already in his hands. He hadn't even realised he was backing away. "S-Stop," Nikolay said, also holding his gun in trembling hands. It sounded more like a plea than an order.

Andrei found his voice. "This is a Soviet military base," he told the man. "Come any further and you will be shot!" The man leered at him, reached out a foot and slowly - almost mockingly - stepped forward. Bracing himself for recoil, Andrei raised his RPK and pulled the trigger.

Nothing.

He squeezed the trigger again. Still nothing. There was a loud click is Nikolay's gun jammed as well. "What the-?" But before he could finish he was cut off by the RPK. It was... wriggling? It was squirming around in his hands, he tried to keep hold of it but the more the struggled the more it began to buck. It was jumping and twisting to escape his grasp, almost as if it was alive. How could this be? It wasn't possible! The man laughed as he watched Andrei wrestle with his own weapon. And then it was free of his hands and floating and turning until the barrel was staring him dead in the face. Nikolay too was being faced by his own gun. The man held an arm out, muttered something in that intelligible American that Andrei had never bothered to learn.

And then there was gunfire.

Welcome to X-Men Mafia, a game for 19 players set during the 1960s era of Marvel's popular long-running comic franchise, the X-Men! I'm still new to running mafia games so there won't be any special gimmicks and the setup will be fairly standard, although there might one or two little twists.

This game will stick to basic mafia rules:

• Day phase will be 3 days, night phase will be 1 day. Day phase may get shorter towards the endgame
  • Lynches will require a majority vote
  • No out-of-thread communication unless you're scum
  • No quoting mod PMs
  • No fake day actions
  • The thread will be closed at night
  • No talking after the hammer
  • Please don't lurk
  • Nuff' said

Eight Dollars has agreed once more to fill in as co-mod in case of emergency and he has given advice on balance. Yay, 8bux! :neckbeard:

Players

1. Asiina - RED RAVEN, X-Men Hero killed N1
  2. bowmore
  3. Byers2142 - THE COBALT MAN, X-Men Hero killed N3
  4. CCKeane
  5. CommaToes
  6. Dr. Hurt - THE SENTINEL, Self-Aligned Serial Killer killed N4
  7. Farbror - QUICKSILVER, X-Men 1-Shot Lynchproof killed N4
  8. King Burgundy
  9. Meinberg - POLARIS, X-Men 1-Shot Bulletproof lynched D2
  10. merk - JUGGERNAUT, Brotherhood 3-Shot Strongman lynched D3
  11. Met
  12. mr.capps - CHANGELING, X-Men Miller killed N2
  13. Opopanax - TOAD, Brotherhood Goon killed N1
  14. Pinterest Mom - THE BEAST, X-Men Hero lynched D4
  15. Poison Mushroom - MARVEL GIRL, X-Men Doctor killed N2
  16. Puntification
  17. Quidnose - MIMIC, X-Men Copycat killed N5
  18. The Science of Suck - KA-ZAR, X-Men Hero lynched D1
  19. Tremendous Taste - MAGNETO, Brotherhood Jailer/1-Shot Bulletproof lynched D5

Replacements:

1. DGK2000

Rarity fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Aug 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
give me cyclops or die

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Excuse me missy, I handle comic books and Canadiana, you can stick to teen girl movies.

I will allow this one and join, though.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
*quickly cancels prep work on alpha flight mafia*

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

mr.capps posted:

*quickly cancels prep work on alpha flight mafia*

That will be my final game before I ascend and devour the world

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Exciting! Sign me up.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

I will play. I am Strong Guy.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Oh hell yes.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

mr.capps posted:

give me cyclops or die

You can be this guy

Also I will sign up

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

I wanna be Quentin Quire and burn this school to the ground.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

You guys, Rarity specifically said this will focus on the Lee and Kirby 60s characters, and you keep bringing up people from Morrison's early 2000s run. Get it together
:goonsay:

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I am Strong Guy IRL though.

I am very powerful.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

For example I can lift a load of water bottles from Costco. They package in bulk so it is heavy, but I manage it.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Opopanax posted:

You guys, Rarity specifically said this will focus on the Lee and Kirby 60s characters, and you keep bringing up people from Morrison's early 2000s run. Get it together
:goonsay:

Fine then let me be Banshee. :colbert: I forget, was Legion introduced in the Claremont run?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Dr. Hurt posted:

Fine then let me be Banshee. :colbert: I forget, was Legion introduced in the Claremont run?

Who the hell ever wants to be Banshee?

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Banshee was actually one of my favorite characters from the early days of the Claremont run. I dunno why. He was obviously much older than everyone else, but he loved just hanging out (even if he got hurt like all of the time). All I'm saying is Banshee is a cool dude and if you don't like him you're a jerk.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
Will you allow novice players who have no deductive ability, insight or charisma to sway others?

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

CommaToes posted:

Will you allow novice players who have no deductive ability, insight or charisma to sway others?

Maybe you can use your MAGNETIC ATTRACTION to convince people you are right.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

CommaToes posted:

no deductive ability, insight or charisma

That doesn't stop anyone else!

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
Ok, sign me up then.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Sign me up.

I wanna be Batman! Or failing that, one of the Eternals. But not Ikaris. Ikaris is a punk.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Meinberg posted:

Sign me up.

I wanna be Batman! Or failing that, one of the Eternals. But not Ikaris. Ikaris is a punk.

Please make Meinberg Ikaris.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Meinberg posted:

Sign me up.

:argh:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i hope shadowcat, aka felicia hardy, makes appearance along with her mutant pal lockjaw

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I saw all of that Opop.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

You didn't see nothin'

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I hope to play the blob post M day

GIMME SOME SKIN OPOP YEAH

EDIT It was M day not house of M noooo

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Wait, Christ.

I need to read more comics, I messed everything up.

Opop you may yell at me.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

CCKeane posted:

Wait, Christ.

I need to read more comics, I messed everything up.

Opop you may yell at me.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Hey guys, I really like this identiy crisis comic and its cool how deathstroke managed to beat everyone even the flash man that guy isn't fast enough ha ha ha

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Every time I see an x-men movie I'm like I should really get back to reading the entire backlog of x-men, but I can't get through the 60s. It's so drat cheesy.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I feel like the blob is one of the most realistic super characters because fat people are often very strong and frequently quite difficult to move.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Rarity, close this and reopen it in BSS and make everyone pass a test first

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

CCKeane posted:

I feel like the blob is one of the most realistic super characters because fat people are often very strong and frequently quite difficult to move.

Am fat person, can confirm.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Opop, where do I start with Daniel Way's Deadpool, I have heard he has the definite run?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Another realistic character in the x-man universe is that guy who digests things with slugs and stuff.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
also been reading the new spider-man and when did 2099 showed up? i thought he was only made for that shattered dimension video game??

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

My favorite X-man (That stands for eXtraordinary man - all of the X-men are exceptional and also male) is Mr. Fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
opop why are they afraid of magento, the guy is just an old man. i mean can't you just get a magnet of the opposite type and repel him very far away, that is like basic science

• Locked thread