Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Also creepy was the guy who pulled Molly over on the road to return her monitoring device.

Catching the bird so Toaster could play with it later was a great way to show how his little robot mind works.

Overall that was a good episode. And speaking of creeps, Halle Berry looked great in her party dress.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jul 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

I feel like the first 40 minutes of each episode are just table-setting for the last 20 minutes and it's going to get really tiresome if they keep following that formula.

HOW DOES IT KEEP WORKING SO WELL :suspense:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I wanted to see where this would go and I think it's pretty clear, 35 min of poorly done relationship filler with 5 min of plot advancement. Definitely feels like they were writing each episode as they went with no real plan. I might give it one more episode but I'm teetering on just deleting the timer now.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

wormil posted:

I wanted to see where this would go and I think it's pretty clear, 35 min of poorly done relationship filler with 5 min of plot advancement. Definitely feels like they were writing each episode as they went with no real plan. I might give it one more episode but I'm teetering on just deleting the timer now.

Well don't keep us in suspense on your decision!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

BlackJosh posted:

Well don't keep us in suspense on your decision!

First I have to go through the gut wrenching process of deciding how and when to tell my spouse.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I really wish this show had been bought by a digital network like Amazon or Netflix instead of CBS. The cliffhanger commercial break setups are annoying, and they wouldn't be bound by the restrictions of network broadcasting.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'm totes calling that one of the humans is really one of those android guys. Potentially everyone aside from the protagonist.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I expected they were the survivors, everyone else is dead and this is just some shared experience: AI meets the Matrix. Or maybe they are all toasters, it would at least explain the acting. Who knows. At the rate it's going, it'll be season 4 before we find out. I'll keep watching a bit longer. If the show focused a little less on Halle Berry and a lot more on moving the plot forward, I would enjoy it much more.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

wormil posted:

I expected they were the survivors, everyone else is dead and this is just some shared experience: AI meets the Matrix. Or maybe they are all toasters, it would at least explain the acting. Who knows. At the rate it's going, it'll be season 4 before we find out. I'll keep watching a bit longer. If the show focused a little less on Halle Berry and a lot more on moving the plot forward, I would enjoy it much more.

You seem as frustrated as Sam (Camryn Manheim) trying to get into her lab LOL. "Sorry there's a gas leak try again later"

The pace of the revelations is fine by me. There's a lot of sci fi choices these days. There are no space ships engaged in pew! pew! intergalactic space battles but there's much variety with Extant, Defiance, Agents of Shield, Tomorrow People, Under The Dome, Continuum, Orphan Black...so many options.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
After wondering for a few episodes how they made the ditzy lawyer from The Good Wife look so different it turns out it's Meryl Streep's other daughter Grace that's on the show.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Binary Logic posted:

You seem as frustrated as Sam (Camryn Manheim) trying to get into her lab LOL. "Sorry there's a gas leak try again later"

The pace of the revelations is fine by me. There's a lot of sci fi choices these days. There are no space ships engaged in pew! pew! intergalactic space battles but there's much variety with Extant, Defiance, Agents of Shield, Tomorrow People, Under The Dome, Continuum, Orphan Black...so many options.

I am frustrated by it because I want to like it but I don't. In all honesty I've never really thought Halle Berry was a good actress so I'm biased but I am disappointed in both her performance so far and the writing. Getting pregnant while alone in space then figuring out how to tell your husband and worrying about his reaction should be suspenseful, should be spirit crushing stress on the character but Berry and the writing team made it dull. I am curious and a sucker for mysteries and I'd love to see where this going but I'm not sure it's worth suffering through Berry's acting to find out. What makes it worse is that she isn't a bad actress, she just lacks whatever quality it is that makes me enjoy watching her.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Enjoying this so far. I put up with Helix so anything is better than that. We will see where it goes, these scifi shows often drop the ball on the plot. At least the future tech is cool.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

PaganGoatPants posted:

At least the future tech is cool.

This is mostly why I watch it. Needs more space segments. Also I want her garbage can.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
CBS moved the show back an hour to 10pm to replace Criminal Minds repeats. Not a great sign but it's not like dumping it on weekends.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
The latest episode ended on quite a couple of cliffhangers...is no one else watching?!

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Binary Logic posted:

The latest episode ended on quite a couple of cliffhangers...is no one else watching?!

Still am (thanks DVR season pass!) but this week's ep was a sharp drop-off in quality for me. Equal parts clichèfest and dialogue-free intrigue where the audience is left to fend for themselves as to what is actually happening. Molly's dad was the biggest problem by far and his dog not recognizing Molly was painfully hacky. Also the 3-act structure they've been rigidly following made everything in the plot exploding all at once feel downright expected.

Based on the previews for next week I'd say we're in for a downhill slide going forward. Camryn Manheim's turned against them and has amnesia! No one believes them anymore! They took her baby that she felt no apparent human connection to! Something something Ethan!! The ratings were flat vs last week and are way below CBS's standards, so best-case scenario is they manage to wrap up the story in a satisfying way to make this a one-and-done. Besides, can you even imagine this show going for longer than one season?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Its crap and its taking its self way too seriously

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Still am (thanks DVR season pass!) but this week's ep was a sharp drop-off in quality for me. Equal parts clichèfest and dialogue-free intrigue where the audience is left to fend for themselves as to what is actually happening. Molly's dad was the biggest problem by far and his dog not recognizing Molly was painfully hacky.
The dog recognized Molly. It reacted with hostility to the alien presence inside her.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Binary Logic posted:

I'm still here. Every show I watch gets cancelled though so there's that.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Still Defying Gravity 2.0 for me.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Haven't watched the 3rd episode yet but I've gotta say the tone is pants making GBS threads terrifying, I don't even want to watch this with the lights turned off. Another thing I noticed is that the set design is phenomenal. I'd totally buy that everything they've shown would be our world as it is 50 or 60 years down the line with a few major breakthroughs in science and technology to allow for deep space travel. Probably the least believable thing is the android kid but just the right amount of horrifying that I don't really give a poo poo, I just know that I wouldn't be able to stay in the same room with that kid for more than about 8 seconds before I'd start looking for the nearest window to jump out of.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
I had two episodes saved on my DVR, but after ten seconds the 2 bad guys gave some of the most obvious, stupid dialogue and I had to cancel the whole show right there. It was something like:

"The doctor knows, she was with her for all of her fertility treatments"
"And they were unsuccessful"

I can't waste my time on a show that thinks I am an idiot. Some of the best dramas this year were shows that took big leaps and expected the audience to logically follow along. Fargo, True Detective, The Good Wife - all trust their audiences. Any show that treats me like an idiot and wastes my time is off the DVR.

It also makes NO sense for a big conspiracy to not have the one person who would discover the pregnancy first (ie the company doctor) be in their pocket. The doctor and the director should be the two main antagonists, fueled by whatever the billionaire is masterminding. It's a frustratingly sloppy way to create drama. Such a bummer for awesome future-tech to be wasted on a mediocre show.

It was a good night for cleaning off my DVR! We also gave up on The Lottery (for similar reasons) and are about to bail on The Strain. All these interesting premises wasted on under-developed shows.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I made it 15 min into the latest episode before turning Extant off. I have given it more than a fair chance but this is worse than Helix.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
She don't have no legs!

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Super duper cyber expert future Dad forgot computing rule #1 and didn't regularly backup Ethan. Now he's probably going to have to do a fresh OS install and lose all his progams/programming.
Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 7, 2014

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

wormil posted:

I made it 15 min into the latest episode before turning Extant off. I have given it more than a fair chance but this is worse than Helix.

Yeah, it had some promise originally, but it really fell off fast. It's just so boring. Terrible acting, overly dramatic score... Oh well.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
I watched the first episode and then episode 3 or 4 or something, and it's just....not good. And I thought I was easy to entertain, liking The Strain and all. But yeah, the plot is lame, the acting (or more likely, the directing) is bad, the entire tone of the show misses its mark, and it just seems like so much poorly-written sci-fi by lousy screenwriters. Just bad.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Every character on the show is dumb as a box of rocks but at least now we know why the legless woman has a mother complex with Molly's husband. It's the dumbest, most contrived/obvious reason possible but that's just the kind of show Extant is. Really just a terrible show, and each additional layer of the onion that gets peeled back stinks worse than the one before. At least we'll get a lovely cliffhanger before the show gets cancelled!

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Every character on the show is dumb as a box of rocks but at least now we know why the legless woman has a mother complex with Molly's husband. It's the dumbest, most contrived/obvious reason possible but that's just the kind of show Extant is. Really just a terrible show, and each additional layer of the onion that gets peeled back stinks worse than the one before. At least we'll get a lovely cliffhanger before the show gets cancelled!
In previous episode we saw how much time she took, and how much she enjoyed teaching Ethan and raising him as a real boy. It's not at all stupid that she would have maternal feelings for him and resent Molly 'adopting' him.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Josh Lyman posted:

It's not Defying Gravity 2.0 until they reveal the whole show has been about returning the alien baby to Mars.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
How convenient that their robot baby has no ways to monitor and debug its state.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Combat Pretzel posted:

How convenient that their robot baby has no ways to monitor and debug its state.

The 'robot child' has already exceeded his programming, become self-aware and looks like he's going to start upgrading himself.

"No risk, no reward"...and no comments on the 2-hour episode last night?!
Was pretty good although the dialogue gets cheesy sometimes. But then Steven Spielberg is a producer so that should be expected, along with all the emphasis on family.

Josh Lyman posted:

It's turning into Terminator. Or maybe Star Wars if the talking garbage can is R2D2 to Ethan's C3P0. Or Ethan is becoming Data and will soon gear up to battle The Alien.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Aug 21, 2014

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
The way they're heaping tension onto twist onto mystery is getting pretty exhausting, and yes the dialogue is terrible and none of the characters have an ounce of sense. The anti-robot secret society thing? Groan. Maybe I'm just bad at watching this type of show but this seems like a season that's much better to watch all at once. Or not at all. I maintain that Extant does not have a premise sustainable past a single season. It's stretching itself thin enough as it is just to keep the action rising.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Wait there were 2 episodes? Did anything actually happen finally?

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Cardboard Box A posted:

Wait there were 2 episodes? Did anything actually happen finally?

Ethan learned to ride a bike.
Kryger had a good line in a moment of tension with, "Let's just shoot each other here and save them the trouble".
A lot of other stuff happened but I guess I'm the only one interested or paying attention.

Next week will also run 2 episodes in a row.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Binary Logic posted:

Next week will also run 2 episodes in a row.

That's a pretty bad sign. Don't look forward to Season 2 I guess (I wasn't).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Browsing the web in regards to a cancellation, I read that Amazon is pouring money into this?!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

That's a pretty bad sign. Don't look forward to Season 2 I guess (I wasn't).
I lost any hope of season 2 by episode 2. I seriously don't understand how this is 7.4/10 on IMDB.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

Browsing the web in regards to a cancellation, I read that Amazon is pouring money into this?!

I think CBS wants their own Hannibal- a show that doesn't necessarily set the ratings on fire, but keeps a steady audience, makes them look good as a network, and doesn't take too much of their money to keep going. Amazon pouring money into Extant would support this theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
SO?! How did it end? I gave up in episode 3, even though the sci-fi touches were awesome. Did anything get resolved? Was this just a big, boring pile of wasted potential?

• Locked thread