Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Before anyone suggests any software, this thing is totally bricked. And now it's in pieces. I have a Sony Xperia Z1/Z2/something that I'm trying to recover all my data from. The camera decided to not give me an option to just save everything to the SD card and now everything's all bricked up. Naturally customer service is just going to toss it out or whatever, so I want to get my data while I can before I have to send it back (soon).

I'm thinking it's the Toshiba piece, but it won't come out.

Presumably somewhere in here is the internal memory card. I really hope that is just some regular memory card glued to the board, but I am worried that is not the case. I could theoretically attempt to put this motherboard in the replacement phone I got, but that seems, in many ways, like a bad idea. Especially since it uses glue to hold the back on which apparently doesn't work as well the second time.

What do you guys think? Do you see it? Know what I can do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tellara
May 2, 2003

Quality Custom Glassware Since 1923
You don't think it's in the thing with the yellow sticker on it?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
So are you saying it saved to the internal memory not an SD card? If so you are hosed, the internal flash isn't going to removable nor accessible through an external interface.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Is customer service replacing the phone under warranty?

Did you ask them if you could pry the phone apart to pull things out and if that would void the warranty?

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
You might be able to get it back if you send it to some data recovery place.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Tellara posted:

You don't think it's in the thing with the yellow sticker on it?

No, the yellow thing is the SD card which pops out nicely. I have all that data.

Three Olives posted:

So are you saying it saved to the internal memory not an SD card? If so you are hosed, the internal flash isn't going to removable nor accessible through an external interface.

That's what I'm beginning think. Fortunately, it seems shortly after the 4th of July, I moved everything to the SD card. But I'm going to be missing everything between that weekend and the 26th when I broke it. I'm glad I didn't do all that much those weeks.

Chemmy posted:

Is customer service replacing the phone under warranty?

Did you ask them if you could pry the phone apart to pull things out and if that would void the warranty?

I guarantee it'll void the warranty. I'm just hoping they somehow won't notice.

Lord Windy posted:

You might be able to get it back if you send it to some data recovery place.

I have to send the phone back soon or I'll have to pay for the replacement they sent.

I really wish they made phones more modular, but obviously they are trying to stuff as much in there as they can.
I think I'm just going to have to accept the loss. May my tragic tale be a warning to all Goons to back stuff up!

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.
It's going to be a flash memory chip that soldered on the board, likely the big TOSHIBA chip there. Have fun getting that out and on another board that can read the information (if it's not encrypted).

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Shadow0 posted:

I guarantee it'll void the warranty. I'm just hoping they somehow won't notice.

They might not notice?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

So wait, they were going to replace it under warranty and you destroyed the phone to get out the non-existent memory card before asking if that was even possible? Yeah, they are going to notice that you clearly destroyed what was once supposed to be a water-resistant phone. Do you know how often people try and pass off physically damaged phones as warranty issues?

How drunk where you when you hatched this plan that is going to cost you a few hundred dollars for nothing now?

jax
Jun 18, 2001

I love my brick.
As a fellow destroyer of small electronics I admire your initiative op.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

jax posted:

As a fellow destroyer of small electronics I admire your initiative op.

But it was still dumb as poo poo.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
This is brilliant. Just rip the IC off the board, pop it in the toaster for a few mins and slap it on a USB stick for easy access on the computer.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

OP do you think that inside hard drives there are hundreds of floppy disks? This is hilarious.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

There is no way anyone is this stupid.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

LastInLine posted:

I think you underestimate just how stupid someone can be.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Pro-tip. On your new double priced phone, set up one or all of the following:

Google Photo Backup
Dropbox backup
One Drive backup

I have all three running on mine. Erry photo is ~in dem clouds~ in real time.

In case you didn't know by now, in no way will Sony honor the warranty for that thing.

Hope you believe in prayer otherwise.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Jesus Christ, OP. Jesus F. Christ.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

OP, why are you asking us for help to defraud Sony? Sony is a large corporation. This could get us and you into trouble.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

LastInLine posted:

You read the Android threads, you know better than that.

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

Jesse Eisenberg fighting Michael Cera. It's supposed to be bundles of twigs topped with brillo pads
Zoolander was not an instructional video.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
OP, the reason it's not running now is because there's still water stuck in some component. Have you ever heard the expression 'oil and water don't mix'? It's true. The best way to get the remaining water out of the device is to immerse it in oil. Oil's a lot more viscous than water though, so you'll either need to do it while the device is opened up like your pictures show, or if you've already put it back together, let it sit immersed for a few hours to give the oil enough time to push the water out.

Immersing electronics in oil is something that overclockers do regularly so they can run at higher speeds. It works by keeping the hotter-running electronics from condensing moisture from the air as water (in the same way that warm air on the outside of a glass will condense water from the air), and water on electronics causes problems as you already know. Overclockers will use mineral oil for this, but since you're not trying to make your phone run faster, just displace the water, you can go ahead and use regular vegetable oil. (Motor oil will work too, but make sure it's natural oil, not synthetic oil -- and you'll need to let it sit immersed longer; and direct sunlight helps the process along faster with motor oil.)

Once all the water's out, you should be able to power your phone back up normally and get the pictures off it.

Take some pictures of your oil immersion setup and I (or some other knowledgable goon) can make sure you're doing it right.

biznatchio fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 2, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Although if any oil does gets stuck, you can just immerse it in water to push the oil out.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Although if any oil does gets stuck, you can just immerse it in water to push the oil out.

And then WD-40 for the water. I mean, that's what WD-40 is for, right?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Aphrodite posted:

And if that fails he can immerse it in spiders.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No, you don't want to do that. Don't listen to Blue Footed Booby OP, he's trolling.

Spiders will steal your data. You want to use a Luddite species like caterpillars.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Hay guies. I dropped phon today.

Will Nokias warrnty this? I opnd to see wat waz insids b4 mailing back to Finland (Redmond, actually).

I know for a fact they won't notice. I'm carefuls.

Thx in advancers.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

hotsauce posted:

Hay guies. I dropped phon today.

Will Nokias warrnty this? I opnd to see wat waz insids b4 mailing back to Finland (Redmond, actually).

I know for a fact they won't notice. I'm carefuls.

Thx in advancers.

Looks fine

Though you gotta get your dick pics off of there by any means necessary. That's what'll void your warranty fastest.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

OP have you tried to pry it off with a crowbar?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

OP have you tried to pry it off with a crowbar?

No, I used a blowdrier and a suction cup. (As much as that sounds like I'm joking, I'm not.)

Well, in retrospect, I suppose I knew I had like only a 1% chance that the memory would be some kind of chip I could take out, but since waterdamage already voided the warranty, I decided to give it a shot. Also the insides are pretty tore up, I couldn't even get one of the pieces back in.

You're saying that if I had gotten 100% of the water out, it could have revived? Honestly, it worked about three times after getting water in it, before finally bricking. I have no loving idea why I thought it was a good idea to get turning it back on without opening it and really getting it all out.

I shipped it back just now. We'll see what happens. Though I think we all know what's going to happen.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Waiting for the lawsuit, OP

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Good lord. Did you bother to retrieve and follow any sort of tear-down guide or service manual?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Was Androspy installed prior to your teardown? This is important, OP.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Why didn't you just put the phone in a bag of rice? :psyduck:

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Shadow0 posted:

since waterdamage already voided the warranty

You said it was a "waterproof phone", right? Like, I would think you'd have a pretty good case for warranty replacement in event of water damage.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Yeah, I got my Z1 replaced under warranty because water inexplicably got into the camera lens.

Actually, that's not entirely true - the work order that came back said they'd sent me the same phone, but had replaced basically every part, including the screen, back panel, mainboard, buttons and microphone. New IMEI, too. Wonder if it's just their way of saying it's a totally new device (although I really hope someone actually pulled the entire thing apart and replaced everything in sequence.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

iajanus posted:

Yeah, I got my Z1 replaced under warranty because water inexplicably got into the camera lens.

Actually, that's not entirely true - the work order that came back said they'd sent me the same phone, but had replaced basically every part, including the screen, back panel, mainboard, buttons and microphone. New IMEI, too. Wonder if it's just their way of saying it's a totally new device (although I really hope someone actually pulled the entire thing apart and replaced everything in sequence.

Same power and volume control buttons. Gotta save money somewhere.

Dessert Rose posted:

You said it was a "waterproof phone", right? Like, I would think you'd have a pretty good case for warranty replacement in event of water damage.

Maybe the OP tried to take it swimming.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

iajanus posted:

The BOM on phones is surprisingly low, the vast majority of the cost is marketing/R&D/packaging/shipping/certification/profit/etc. I've always wondered how aggressively they attempt to fix phones or if they are mostly scrapped for raw materials, and the refurbs are more of an accounting trick/returns/manufacturing binning.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

grack posted:

Maybe the OP tried to take it swimming.

Kayaking this time. I took it in water all the time though. I think it had just taken too much damage over the year and somehow when it heated up from taking photos or something it opened a space large enough for water to seep in, but even if I had tried the rice thing, the phone is airtight, so unless I had heated it up again, I don't think it would have helped.

I think they accepted the phone or something because I haven't heard anything from them. Which is funny because I couldn't even get all the parts back in again.

Needless to say, my new phone now has auto backups running. This one appears to still be waterproof at least.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Shadow0 posted:

Kayaking this time. I took it in water all the time though. I think it had just taken too much damage over the year and somehow when it heated up from taking photos or something it opened a space large enough for water to seep in, but even if I had tried the rice thing, the phone is airtight, so unless I had heated it up again, I don't think it would have helped.

I think they accepted the phone or something because I haven't heard anything from them. Which is funny because I couldn't even get all the parts back in again.

Needless to say, my new phone now has auto backups running. This one appears to still be waterproof at least.

1. Stop taking your expensive electronics into the water.
2. Get a water bag and a cheap waterproof point and shoot that's designed to be taken up to 15 feet down, not a smartphone that has some dingy 3 ft rating and is sealed with a plastic USB cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Xperias actually use a magnetic charger, not a USB flap.

• Locked thread