Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Aabcehmu posted:

Does the slightly modified and typo-corrected version in my up-to-date post do any better? If it doesn't, do you happen to have any particular suggestions, or does it just not fit the way it is?

This isn't a horrible card, the drawback of giving your opponent stuff balances the low cost. It just doesn't have a niche; way too complicated for common, not thrilling enough for rare. Might make it as uncommon, I dunno.

Also the Fibonacci sequence in your avatar is incorrect, the 11 should be 13. :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being
Another typo! I didn't post for the longest time, so thank you for making me aware! Did you pick up on how it's relevant to my username as well?

Also, my apologies for the tangent. Have another image offering.

, Torbjörn Källström's Werewolf Night

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
You might be able to tell at this point that I'm enjoying the challenge a wee bit too much.

Yeah, you can't really see the pointy ears at this resolution and there's very few White elves in Modern that aren't also Green, but I strive for fidelity in all things. (I would still have reconsidered it if there weren't any.)

I focused more on the things she was holding - a moon and water - to come up with this sort of idea. I wanted to get away from the Theros meanings of the God type and just move on to using it for itself, so no sparkly frame or Enchantment Creature stuff. I did keep Indestructible hanging around because it does just feel so bad to have a God Doom Bladed. Anyway, the rules text on this card is very tide-y and all, but did make me go into Comp Rules and hunt down why Blood Moon doesn't actually do what it says it does. Because it doesn't. Nonbasic lands are Mountains should mean they lose any other subtypes, gain the Mountain subtype, and then go about their happy lives. But it wipes their rules text for no good game reason. Mountains can have other rules text (thank you, Madblind Mountain), and if you turn all your creatures into another creature type, they don't lose their rules text. It's just this crazy thing that happens, by sheer fiat.

quote:

305.7. If an effect sets a land’s subtype to one or more of the basic land types, the land no longer has its old land type. It loses all abilities generated from its rules text, its old land types, and any copy effects affecting that land, and it gains the appropriate mana ability for each new basic land type. Note that this doesn’t remove any abilities that were granted to the land by other effects. Setting a land’s subtype doesn’t add or remove any card types (such as creature) or supertypes (such as basic, legendary, and snow) the land may have. If a land gains one or more land types in addition to its own, it keeps its land types and rules text, and it gains the new land types and mana abilities.

Stupid. Anyway, yes, during your turn all your opponents lands get Spreading Seas'd, while you just get an Urborg for Islands. Hopefully you're not fixing your blue control opponent's mana so they can Cryptic you, but maybe you are.

Please use me with Nykthos, thank you. I kind of felt like this had to be costed at GG itself, because I can justify GGGG = 4/4 + 2/2 (it's just two Kalonian Tuskers who have gone slightly wonky) but 1GGG seems harder to take somehow, despite the relative rarities of the two cards.

The way the eyes stare out of this picture, and the way the framing seems to encroach on her actual face, made me think of metaphors about leaders putting on masks and feeling consumed by their position and so on. Then, this being fantasy world, it was time to unmetaphor that to end up with a little horror story about a country whose queens put on magical regalia that erases their individual personality and just makes them into what was considered the perfect queen when the artifact was made. Of course, what may or may not have been perfect then certainly won't do for the rest of time, and the country and its royal line were thus doomed to extinction as soon as they had it made. Hurrah. I'm not making a lot of cards that show the happy side of white this round, am I?

Let's fix that a little. I liked the title and the implication that this crazy thing was just the poor dude's major domo. So a White Horror (of which there have been more in Magic's history than I expected, including one perhaps in poor taste) with Intimidate, who actually just wants to keep everything tidy.

I like that you can go slow and steady card quality on this, or use it several times on a turn if you really need to dig and/or want it as a graveyard engine. Though because it could be used in the second manner, I did want to keep it a little in check by giving it a decently high initial cost.

Given the very regimented look of the art, with the elephants each having their own company of soldiers, I wanted to encourage Timmies to dream about stacking as many of these as possible, through mechanics and flavour text. I spent a lot of balance passes on this, and each only made me more uncertain if I'd got anything about the costs right. :shrug:

Art dump: Craig Mullins

Sleep of Bronze fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 31, 2014

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Sleep of Bronze posted:

You might be able to tell at this point that I'm enjoying the challenge a wee bit too much.

Yeah, you can't really see the pointy ears at this resolution and there's very few White elves in Modern that aren't also Green, but I strive for fidelity in all things. (I would still have reconsidered it if there weren't any.)
Is there a reason this guy doesn't have flying? At 4 CMC, even with his other abilities, he can afford to have it since he doesn't benefit from his own buff.

Also seems like a pretty major flavor fail that the guy training me to fly has to keep teaching himself how to fly.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Mikujin posted:

Is there a reason this guy doesn't have flying? At 4 CMC, even with his other abilities, he can afford to have it since he doesn't benefit from his own buff.

Also seems like a pretty major flavor fail that the guy training me to fly has to keep teaching himself how to fly.

Yes. The reason is that while I was making these my computer crashed and I lost all my progress. Apparently I forgot to put flying back on when I remade this one. :v:

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Yes. The reason is that while I was making these my computer crashed and I lost all my progress. Apparently I forgot to put flying back on when I remade this one. :v:

Fair enough! Just thought that it seemed odd. :)

And for what it's worth, Briarcrown Queen is simply a functionally worse Wolfbriar Elemental (except at 4 mana total where she's slightly ahead). The problem is that both net you the same amount of P/T per mana spent, but Queen puts half of your investment all in one place where it's easily mitigated - even before considering that it's harder for it to be kicked in any deck that isn't Mono Green. This iteration of reinventing the wheel is also probably not worth the level of rarity it's at, either.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

A big dude with small, easily repeated effects seems kind of Izzet to me. Whenever I see lightning, especially blue lightning, I always go back to that guild. I also thought it seemed odd that Izzet didn't have a robotics (or what passes for robotics in a fantasy setting) division considering they're the prime spot for Science! on the plane. That said, the card is not actually Izzet because if it were, it would be bronze or brass and shooting steam...

By chevsy, because angels are cool.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Galileo!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Art by Tyler K. Rauman:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I do believe that's a horse/donkey head in the background!

Let's get classical:

Francisco Goya you loving philistines

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

I kinda like how my throwaway cards kinda ended up being way more engine-y than my more involved efforts. I have no idea how good any of these cards are, but they all encourage just the weirdest deck choices. Except King's Court, that encourages having lots of mana

Art tax:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I'm sure this is an instant two card combo.

By AnekaShu on Deviant Art

Ramos fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 31, 2014

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Ramos posted:

I'm sure this is an instant two card combo.
Well it's certainly a 15/15 Pro-colored spells creature for 4GG in modern.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Everblight posted:

Well it's certainly a 15/15 Pro-colored spells creature for 4GG in modern.

This is Magic, I'm sure we can do better than that. :v:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Ramos posted:

It's a 19/19 Haste Pro-Colored Spells for 5GG :suicide:

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Ramos posted:

A 19/19 that also means you can't lose?

Maybe a 4 card unblockable 21/21 with annihilator 6?

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

From lindelokse:

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Guaranteed to be busted by virtue of being A Lotus.

Art Tax:

by Tomstrzal

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Emrakul is pretty good. Also, does Serra Avatar make it a 40/40?

e: Attack. After blocks, exile Phage. This being instant speed is great.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I'm thinking...

Use Fauna Shaman, search for Devoted Druid. Untap, tap to search for Pheres-Band Tromper. Get infinite mana and grab whatever creature you want. Probably Emrakul. Grab replacement on the fly. Sphinx's Disciple would be the more likely go to card though for drawing your entire library and doing whatever the gently caress. It's probably just simpler to grab a pinger.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 31, 2014

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Ramos posted:

I'm thinking...

Use Fauna Shaman, search for Devoted Druid. Untap, tap to search for Pheres-Band Tromper. Get infinite mana and grab whatever creature you want. Probably Emrakul. Grab replacement on the fly. Sphinx's Disciple would be the more likely go to card though for drawing your entire library and doing whatever the gently caress.

Yeah, he's kinda turbo busted. Even when you're not going off, you're still getting insane value out of basically every card in your deck, while also making him very difficult to remove.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Dr. Stab posted:

Yeah, he's kinda turbo busted. Even when you're not going off, you're still getting insane value out of basically every card in your deck, while also making him very difficult to remove.

I wouldn't say that, he requires a lot to get going. Six mana first to at least play him. Then you need cards in your hand that are likely otherwise not that useful. To enable one turn kills with him, you're going to need a large amount of mana and the right cards in hand, as well as not so useful otherwise cards clogging up your deck. Upping his cost may do something, though then you'd just need Dramatic Entrance.

Overall, I think he's pretty janky though I guess the fastest way to neuter him would be to make his ability cost 2.

I'm also feeling combo happy.

By Ergot from Pixiv.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

You could simplify this by simply saying "at the beginning of each upkeep, exile each nonland, non-token permanent, then return those permanents to the battlefield under their owners' control. Creatures entering the battlefield this way have haste."

Would do funny things with auras, but otherwise be fun and funny like you want.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

E: changed the name to be more in line with the flavor.

new art submission

by karichristensen

U-DO Burger fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jul 31, 2014

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Ramos posted:

I wouldn't say that, he requires a lot to get going. Six mana first to at least play him. Then you need cards in your hand that are likely otherwise not that useful. To enable one turn kills with him, you're going to need a large amount of mana and the right cards in hand, as well as not so useful otherwise cards clogging up your deck. Upping his cost may do something, though then you'd just need Dramatic Entrance.

Overall, I think he's pretty janky though I guess the fastest way to neuter him would be to make his ability cost 2.

You just need creatures with good p/t or good abilities (ie good creatures) to make him work.The cards that make him work are basically any creatures that are good. You're thinking of him in terms of a pure combo deck (where he's still pretty good, but still). He's amazing in a ramp deck. He's a big green ritual to let you ramp up to your eldrazi. If they try and remove him, just slap on a hexproof man.

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012
More Cards:

White Nekrataal. My idea was that this guy can disable his opponent with the harpoon gun, then finish them off later. I think this guy still fits into the white color pie of "answers with answers", since you have a full turn window to kill him before he can pick off a free creature.

This is my attempt at using different mechanics to capture the Master of the Hunt flavor.

Pretty simple idea. Instead of sending a creature to attack your opponent, you can send them on a secret mission to deliver important information.

I got really Kamigawaish vibes from this art, so I went with a gate that can summon hordes of Oni... But can punish you for trying to summon too many.

Meanwhile, this land is Legendary mainly to avoid memory issues; having to remember which city gave protection from which color would be rather annoying. As is I may have pushed the power level on this card a bit too much. (I forgot the artist credit, but obviously it's Van Gogh).

My art submission;

Artist is YongSub Noh.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Make a card out of Saturn Devouring His Son you knobs

EDIT:

GyroNinja posted:

Pretty simple idea. Instead of sending a creature to attack your opponent, you can send them on a secret mission to deliver important information.
You do realize this will only be used as a Pacifism effect on your opponents, right? No one's paying 1U for a situational Divination, especially when that Cipher card does the same thing, turn over turn, better.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jul 31, 2014

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

I wanted to make a card that says "Fict or Faction for 20" except in a way that might make your hand even worse. 6 mana, draw the 10 worst cards left in your deck and hand.

by daarken, AKA the guy what did Soul of New Phyrexia.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Dr. Stab posted:

You just need creatures with good p/t or good abilities (ie good creatures) to make him work.The cards that make him work are basically any creatures that are good. You're thinking of him in terms of a pure combo deck (where he's still pretty good, but still). He's amazing in a ramp deck. He's a big green ritual to let you ramp up to your eldrazi. If they try and remove him, just slap on a hexproof man.

Point taken.

Bumped up its CMC by one, upped power and toughness, took away the ability to boost power and toughness. Fully and 100% a weird little combo thingy now. Now to go update that in the original post.

This image didn't come with an artist attached, but it's a new take on another white card I did earlier. This time it (probably) has the ability to slay whatever it's destined to fight.

By Metha on Pixiv.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 31, 2014

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
I thought the quote was "Man of woman born"? Is it a translation thing or is that intentional and I'm just not getting it?

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

The protection ability prevents Fated Hero from being being blocked by the chosen creature. A creature with protection cannot be blocked by something it has protection from. I'd recommend dropping the protection, and then adding that if it blocks or is blocked by the chosen creature, destroy the chosen creature.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Gensuki posted:

I thought the quote was "Man of woman born"? Is it a translation thing or is that intentional and I'm just not getting it?

I'm bad at remembering quotes. :downs: Doesn't matter either way, since I can't seem to fit the flavor text.

Obscil posted:

The protection ability prevents Fated Hero from being being blocked by the chosen creature. A creature with protection cannot be blocked by something it has protection from. I'd recommend dropping the protection, and then adding that if it blocks or is blocked by the chosen creature, destroy the chosen creature.

This is what happens when I get over excited about a design.

Besides, naming the card should be a different clause from the combat stuff.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 31, 2014

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Ramos posted:

I'm bad at remembering quotes. :downs: Doesn't matter either way, since I can't seem to fit the flavor text.

This is what happens when I get over excited about a design.

Besides, naming the card should be a different clause from the combat stuff.

You should probably rewrite this unless you want Fated Hero to exile itself, which is what it seems to do right now.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Everblight posted:

Make a card out of Saturn Devouring His Son you knobs

Fine, geez.

Yes, I know that Gods are supposed to be enchantments. I DON'T CARE :colbert:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

All ambiguity should be gone now. Hopefully.

ABSOLUTELY FAIR AND HONORABLE.

Art tax:

By Stephen Zavala.

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being
Here are several new cards, in ascending rarity.

There is some weird lettering issue on Gather the Armies which I wasn't able to fix, unfortunately.

Anyway, here is a bunch images from Sebastian Giacobino.

Also, Ramos, it seems that you've given an Enchantment power and toughness, for Absolute Equalizer.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning

I feel like the costs and rarity are a tad off, for what it's worth.

Art tax:

Artist unknown.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Trollhawke posted:

I feel like the costs and rarity are a tad off, for what it's worth.
This is a terribly inferior version of Enlarge. Even as an instant speed buff, this would be terribly over-costed when compared to something like Might of Oaks.

Always check similar effects when making stuff like this to make sure you're giving it an appropriate cost/effect.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Art for thought:

illus: Alex Tornberg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Have some Zdzisław Beksiński:

• Locked thread