Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

M42 posted:

I'm probably on some watchlist now for googling "largest government buildings in DC"

RIP m42

I think Google has a building somewhere in atlanta...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Well gosh, in the A you also have the Federal Reserve building and the National Archives building (is that one closed?).

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Dammit! I just drove past:

-Denver Mint
-Colorado Supreme Court
-Colorado Capitol Building
-Denver City and County Building

and about 20 other bigass government buildings.

Stupid dead phone. If this challenge is up tomorrow night...

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
If it weren't for the near-certainty of getting shot (or at least spoken to nastily by a policeman which is just as bad) while trying to get the pic I could get the last 4 challenges in one go (cobblestones on Addington Street from where you can see the Houses of Parliament, Westminster Abbey, and the Blue Plaque on 11 Millbank).

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If it weren't for the near-certainty of getting shot (or at least spoken to nastily by a policeman which is just as bad) while trying to get the pic I could get the last 4 challenges in one go (cobblestones on Addington Street from where you can see the Houses of Parliament, Westminster Abbey, and the Blue Plaque on 11 Millbank).

Go on a weekend and put on your best bumpkin accent and pretend you're a tourist.
That challenge that comes up now and again with the old photo/new photo from the same location, I have an absolute gem for that one, unfortunately it would mean parking my bike on the sidewalk outside New Scotland Yard and/or the Attorney General's office. You want to talk about being put on government watch lists, that poo poo is bristling with CCTV cameras.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Fortunately for you people living in Real Places, I live somewhere nobody gives a gently caress about anything: rural Japan. Grabbed this on my way home from work yesterday, forgot about it until this morning:

This is the Genkai Town Office. Genkai has a population of ~6,500 and dwindling, so why does its town office (pretty close to the size of my neighboring city of 130,000's) punch so far above its weight?

Answer: That sweet, sweet nuke money.

See also: their Cultural Centre, seaside hot spring facility, big consolidated elementary/junior high school they're building, own dedicated local TV channel, etc.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

So what's next?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

ought ten posted:

So what's next?

poo poo, knew I was forgetting something!

I almost stepped on a skink today (it looked at me, ran back and forth in front of me several times, then straight through my legs and back across the street into the bushes). So: Your bike with a reptile.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Linedance posted:

Go on a weekend and put on your best bumpkin accent and pretend you're a tourist.
That challenge that comes up now and again with the old photo/new photo from the same location, I have an absolute gem for that one, unfortunately it would mean parking my bike on the sidewalk outside New Scotland Yard and/or the Attorney General's office. You want to talk about being put on government watch lists, that poo poo is bristling with CCTV cameras.

I'm sort of tempted to try and get a pic of every place on this site and see how long it takes for me to get a free holiday in Cuba.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams
Colorado is relatively short on living reptiles. I did find this guy at Swetsville, a metal sculpture park I had no idea I lived near.

Dinosaur seems interested and impressed with my new bike

Next challenge, Fireworks?

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
I have a reptile living in my backyard so I took these:

But I'm late so I guess :siren:Fireworks?:siren: stands.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I wouldn't normally bother claiming this since I didn't actually ride for it, but since fireworks are kinda over for awhile:

Woulda ridden out for a better picture, but I sprained my ankle the other day and can barely walk, let alone ride. Sooo... if no-one else has any other fireworks pics to defer to...

:ducksiren:Show me a zoo!:ducksiren:

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Denver Zoo.

Close as I could get without parking in a Fire Lane.

:siren: Your Bike in front of a Museum! :siren:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Welp, guess where I'd already arranged to go today?

RAF Museum, Hendon. click for huge, excuse dodgy framing but there were already parking attendants swarming on to me as I took it.

Bit of a theme going on here so I'll carry it on:

:siren:YOUR BIKE NEXT TO AN ART GALLERY:siren:

(Large public art installations also count, I guess)

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Not much of a ride for me, but here is the Ed Paschke Art Center, a brand new museum/gallery celebrating the life and works of legendary Chicago artist Ed Paschke.

It's located in Chicago's Jefferson Park neighborhood, which is pretty far from all the popular destination (hipster) areas. The works are all pretty drat cool to see in person, and there's a really nice recreation of Ed's studio at the time of his death in 2004. If you look closely at the ceiling tiles, you may see some spots of blood from my index finger.

Not a great angle of my bike or of the building. The building has an awesome mural on the side that was done with this crazy 3M film.

New challenge:

:siren: An outdoor scuplture :siren:

captainOrbital fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 9, 2014

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

captainOrbital posted:

Not much of a ride for me, but here is the Ed Paschke Art Center, a brand new museum/gallery celebrating the life and works of legendary Chicago artist Ed Paschke.

It's located in Chicago's Jefferson Park neighborhood, which is pretty far from all the popular destination (hipster) areas. The works are all pretty drat cool to see in person, and there's a really nice recreation of Ed's studio at the time of his death in 2004. If you look closely at the ceiling tiles, you may see some spots of blood from my index finger.

Not a great angle of my bike or of the building. The building has an awesome mural on the side that was done with this crazy 3M film.

New challenge:

:siren: An outdoor scuplture :siren:

A cool gallery with an awesome wall mural dedicated to a famous local artist, in an area undiscovered by hipsters? Buy property there.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Linedance posted:

A cool gallery with an awesome wall mural dedicated to a famous local artist, in an area undiscovered by hipsters? Buy property there.

Workin' on it. The nice thing is that it's a nice, quiet working-class neighborhood with lots of houses and yards. It's very heavily Polish; I've learned a few Polish words just from speaking to bank tellers in the neighborhood. There's a big transportation hub for the Blue Line here also (the only place in the city that has combined light rail (the El), heavy rail (Metra) and bus service in one depot), and a couple nice restaurants. I could see the area taking off; there's a fair amount of opportunity. It's pretty far from downtown, though.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
I've found I like taking pictures of inanimate animals (see dragon).

Friends deli on my way to work just outside of Knoxville, TN. Great breakfast (and diesel)!

Get me a picture with a famous local inanimate (but maybe has a real life counterpart) object!

Edit, I should add that there is some story about this moose being stolen by a couple teen, and maybe it being found in the perpetrators' backyards or some dumb thing like that, completely uncovered. Why anybody would want a plaster moose, who knows...

Dead Pressed fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 9, 2014

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams

Dead Pressed posted:

Friends deli on my way to work just outside of Knoxville, TN. Great breakfast (and diesel)!

Get me a picture with a famous local inanimate (but maybe has a real life counterpart) object!

Edit, I should add that there is some story about this moose being stolen by a couple teen, and maybe it being found in the perpetrators' backyards or some dumb thing like that, completely uncovered. Why anybody would want a plaster moose, who knows...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co8PISaHuPM

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dead Pressed posted:

Aw man you're too quick, I wanted to get a pic of my bike in front of this, now it's been put back up:

Although actually I suppose it counts as a famous inanimate object, but I'm not going to be on the bike until the weekend now.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Aw man you're too quick, I wanted to get a pic of my bike in front of this, now it's been put back up:

Although actually I suppose it counts as a famous inanimate object, but I'm not going to be on the bike until the weekend now.

I think that artist must have visited Shepherd's Bush Green.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Aw man you're too quick,

Yeah, no kidding, I wanted to zip over after work and grab a pic of my bike in front of Portlandia.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Dead Pressed posted:

All I can think of is the scene from In Bruges where one guy tells the other "You're an inanimate loving object!"

But so is a field of concrete corn, especially when the sculptor has apparently never seen an actual corn plant in his life despite there being some barely half a mile away.

:siren:Snap a picture of what cracks you up everytime you ride by it!:siren:

Hard to see, but that sure is a funeral home right behind the banner. I'd certainly hope they're deficiency-free, seeing as there's not much you can gently caress up when your customer ain't even alive.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

OSU_Matthew posted:

:siren:Snap a picture of what cracks you up everytime you ride by it!:siren:

A big drat milk bottle:

Apparently it's a restaurant. I've lived in the next town for about four years and I've never been there.

:siren:Your bike with the beginning and end of your favorite road:siren:

I'm sure that's been done but it should be easy to complete.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Two pictures?

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

clutchpuck posted:

Two pictures?

Two pictures or one living room burnout.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Well, my first most favorite road is in Austria (Großglockner), and my second had a 100% chance of rain today (Pikes Peak), so you get my third.

Start:

End:

Somewhere in between:

I also have helmet cam footage of the ride up that I'll edit together later.

Todays lessons:
1.) A carb jetted for 5280 feet doesn't work nearly as well at 14,000
2.) It's a lot colder to ride a motorcycle up a 14er than it is to walk up one
3.) When you run out of gas and have to push your bike up an off ramp, it helps to have a light bike.

:siren: NEW CHALLENGE: Your bike at the highest point in your state/province/country that it can reach. :siren:

Akion fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 27, 2014

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

Akion posted:

:siren: NEW CHALLENGE: Your bike at the highest point in your state/province/country that it can reach. :siren:
lol ohio

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
I take it my backyard won't count? :2bong:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

You're closer, take it

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Bucephalus posted:

You're closer, take it

How are you going to get your bike on the roof?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Akion posted:

Todays lessons:
1.) A carb jetted for 5280 feet doesn't work nearly as well at 14,000

What was your experience with this? I want to go up into some mountains (from sea level up to about 8000 feet) and need to be thinking about that.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Safety Dance posted:

How are you going to get your bike on the roof?

Surprisingly, the highest point in Ohio is nowhere near the Appalachian foothills in the Southeast.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

What was your experience with this? I want to go up into some mountains (from sea level up to about 8000 feet) and need to be thinking about that.

It was still rideable at 14,000. It just stumbled if you gunned the throttle.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

The highest point in NSW (and Australia) is Mount Kosciuszko with an elevation of about 2.2km. I'd love to head out there but it's a two day ride from where I am and the middle of snow season, so that's gonna have to wait a few months. For the hell of it I went up to the highest peak I could before dark (Mount Panorama, ~800m) to get a photo.

Click for big
or a panorama from the survey marker.

If the challenge still stands this weekend I'll go up to Mount Canobolas (~1400m) for some more photos.

To be clear, this isn't meant to complete the previous challenge, I just wanted to share some photos that fit the theme since I enjoy it when other people do the same. Post your scenic mountain views!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Highest point in my entire country is only ~170m above sea level, I guess I'm out.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Highest point in my entire country is only ~170m above sea level, I guess I'm out.

I'm originally from Florida, when I told my students in Japan our highest elevation is only about ~105m they poo poo bricks. The hill by school is taller :kiddo:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Come to San Francisco -- my house is at about, eh, 20 feet above sea level and three miles away there's a thousand-foot hill.

Lord knows what the highest road-reachable point in California is, but it's got to be well over 10,000 feet. I doubt I'll be able to make it up there any time soon.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Whether or not the challenge will still stand, I'm riding to mount Rainier this weekend and I'll take a pic at the high point... apparently that's the highest on pavement you can get in Warshington.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Lord knows what the highest road-reachable point in California is, but it's got to be well over 10,000 feet. I doubt I'll be able to make it up there any time soon.

Mosquito Flats in Inyo Country from my googling when the challenge came up. 10,300 at the trailhead where the road ends. I'd do it myself but it's 300 miles from the bay area and I really don't feel up to a trip that long right now.

• Locked thread