Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I play windowed and the game runs at a smooth 60 and I haven't had any lag. If you are having problems in fullscreen maybe try windowed? If it's not that then I dunno what to tell you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I'll try that if the game feels like it wants to launch again, which it doesn't seem to right now. I just wanted to play a JRPG. :smith:

The intro worked fine, it only really started after that.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Are you running a sub 1080p resolution in fullscreen? That basically seems to be the only way to guarantee it'll work, unless you're unlucky and have a new problem.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It's not giving me an error or anything, Steam just won't launch it. And I did have it fullscreen during the intro, maybe I'll try different resolutions in that?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

You sure you have it fullscreen and not windowed? Because on my desktop mine doesn't launch either in windowed.

You could also try disabling high resolution fonts.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I just beat Ys I in, like, one day. It's a pretty short game, but I really like it, aside from some of the bosses being really awful. Darm Tower is probably one of the most fun dungeons I've ever played, but I just wish the final boss wasn't the literal worst. There were several instances where I had to reload because the floor fell in a way the left me stuck. All that aside, when's a good point to play Ys Origin?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Butt Ghost posted:

I just beat Ys I in, like, one day. It's a pretty short game, but I really like it, aside from some of the bosses being really awful. Darm Tower is probably one of the most fun dungeons I've ever played, but I just wish the final boss wasn't the literal worst. There were several instances where I had to reload because the floor fell in a way the left me stuck. All that aside, when's a good point to play Ys Origin?

After Ys 2, since 1 and 2 are halves of one full story that Origins exists to elaborate on. Ys 2 also has way less bullshit bosses.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Butt Ghost posted:

All that aside, when's a good point to play Ys Origin?

Any point, really. Maybe play Ys II first so some of the names ring a bell but it's not necessary.

toddy. fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Aug 1, 2014

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Butt Ghost posted:

Ys 2 is effectively Ys 1 Second Chapter, so play that next.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That reminds me, did anyone ever make a mod for the Steam release of Ys I & II that brought back the TurboCD music? Well specifically if they had made .ogg files that looped properly, since anyone could just copy/paste the files on their own if they were willing to live with it not looping right.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
I haven't had any issues after yesterday's steam patches. Running 1080p windowed on 1200p monitor with vsync, HD fonts, bilingual filtering. I did force 8xQ AA and 16x AF in Nvidia tools.

Edit: the game looks really crisp and clear with those settings, BTW. It's a tremendous improvement over PSP. Also, mouse controls are fine, tried both mouse and Xbox360 controller (remapped scraft shortcuts).

oblomov fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 1, 2014

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

oblomov posted:

I haven't had any issues after yesterday's steam patches. Running 1080p windowed on 1200p monitor with vsync, HD fonts, bilingual filtering. I did force 8xQ AA and 16x AF in Nvidia tools.

Edit: the game looks really crisp and clear with those settings, BTW. It's a tremendous improvement over PSP. Also, mouse controls are fine, tried both mouse and Xbox360 controller (remapped scraft shortcuts).

Mind posting a screenshot?

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Skeezy posted:

Mind posting a screenshot?

Sure, once I get home I will take a couple.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Delusibeta posted:

Ys 2 is effectively Ys 1 Second Chapter, so play that next.

Ys 2 is also orders of magnitude better than Ys 1 in nearly every measurable way, so definitely that.

I actually played origins before 1/2 which was kind of interesting because all the references/nostalgia worked in reverse.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

animatorZed posted:

Ys 2 is also orders of magnitude better than Ys 1 in nearly every measurable way, so definitely that.

I actually played origins before 1/2 which was kind of interesting because all the references/nostalgia worked in reverse.

Same here, it was really interesting to get the references that way.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Cake Attack posted:

You sure you have it fullscreen and not windowed? Because on my desktop mine doesn't launch either in windowed.

You could also try disabling high resolution fonts.

Reinstalling it solved that problem, and seems to have fixed the lag.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Got this running fullscreen 1080p at a custom refresh rate of 120Hz now myself. Going where no JRPG has ever gone befoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooore :pcgaming:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

About to hit the final dungeon. That fight with Lorence was ROUGH, but I managed to trick him into a casting loop where i just impeded his cast over and over.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
I've only barely managed to get to Chapter 1, but the game oozes charm and is just plain fun to play. Two thumbs up, other fingers glued firmly to the keyboard.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
My one complaint with Trails in the Sky is You only get any real party member swapping in/out at the very end of the game, every other case the game dictates it for you. It prevents the 'there's eight of us here but only three of us are going to beat up Sephiroth' problem, but it makes it so you can't swap party members in and out on a lark. Does SC fix that, or is it the same way?

Glenn565
Aug 1, 2009

Endorph posted:

My one complaint with Trails in the Sky is You only get any real party member swapping in/out at the very end of the game, every other case the game dictates it for you. It prevents the 'there's eight of us here but only three of us are going to beat up Sephiroth' problem, but it makes it so you can't swap party members in and out on a lark. Does SC fix that, or is it the same way?

You can swap members in SC, but it's not unlocked immediately.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Don't quote me, but I believe SC lets you choose your party, albeit with some characters being forced into the party at times.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

In SC you usually have one or two fixed party members per chapter and you can fill the open slots with whoever is available.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I did it. I beat the game. I thought it was excellent. The music, setting and characters were all super fun and have a really chill, comfy vibe that sets up the sudden turn at the end pretty masterfully.

Speaking of the ending...

:negative:

Way to rip my loving heart out and leave me hanging on a huge cliff, Falcom. I am super excited for SC now, probably my most anticipated game of the year.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
Edit, here is a sample screenshot. 1080p windowed (resized to 1280 x 712), 16x AF, 8xQ AA, bilinear textures.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/zjoqgttq8au4lte/trails4.JPG

Edit2: Huh, guess, can't link directly to mediafire.
Edit3: No crashes whatsover since patches to Steam yesterday night.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

oblomov fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Aug 2, 2014

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

oblomov posted:

Here is a sample screenshot from Prologue. This is with 1080P windowed, AA at 8xQ and AF at 16x with bilinear textures.

the fact that this doesn't load is a pretty good unintentional burn on XSeed

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

oblomov posted:

Edit, here is a sample screenshot. 1080p windowed (resized to 1280 x 712), 16x AF, 8xQ AA, bilinear textures.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/zjoqgttq8au4lte/trails4.JPG

Edit2: Huh, guess, can't link directly to mediafire.
Edit3: No crashes whatsover since patches to Steam yesterday night.

Just use Imgur.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

So does the hires fonts work now? Kept getting crashes with them on.
Also how are the mouse controls? Playing with a gamepad feels off for some reason even after configuring it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Mr. Fortitude posted:

So does the hires fonts work now? Kept getting crashes with them on.
Also how are the mouse controls? Playing with a gamepad feels off for some reason even after configuring it.

The font thing seems to be fixed.

Mouse and keyboard work really well since the game was originally on PC and designed for it.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
EDIT: found it.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 2, 2014

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
So are the worst of the bugs ironed out yet? Because if so, I'll remove the warning from the OP.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Lance Streetman posted:

So are the worst of the bugs ironed out yet? Because if so, I'll remove the warning from the OP.

Yes.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Have they fixed resolutions above 1080p/windowed for everyone? Or are you not including those as the worst of the bugs, since the game runs fine as long as you stay fullscreen/below 1080p?

I'm genuinely curious, because mine's always been fine at above 1080p so I can't test.

Also, I doubt I would have noticed if I didn't have the game's script halfway memorized from the doing my Lp, but there's a decent amount of changed lines in Chapter 4. Nothing that changes the plot or anything, but a lot of scenes read better.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Cake Attack posted:

Also, I doubt I would have noticed if I didn't have the game's script halfway memorized from the doing my Lp, but there's a decent amount of changed lines in Chapter 4. Nothing that changes the plot or anything, but a lot of scenes read better.

The most egregious mistake in the psp translation when Weissman explains his plot to Joshua has been fixed. There was another flubbed psp line during the intermission for chapters 2-3 where Agate and Lorence fight but I didn't think to compare the scenes until it was too late.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Maybe the crashing bugs are gone, but the texture bugs are still there. Just started it and got this:

Seems like it's mostly stable, though, so I'll remove the warning.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Lance Streetman posted:

Maybe the crashing bugs are gone, but the texture bugs are still there. Just started it and got this:

Turn of the vertex option in the config. That fixes it. It's a bug that seems to only crop up with certain videocards.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

Turn of the vertex option in the config. That fixes it. It's a bug that seems to only crop up with certain videocards.

That fixed it, thanks.

JumbocactuarX27
Jan 9, 2011

Blargh! I'm a space parasite!
The only bug I've run across is thankfully minor! The background panorama at the E-whatever tower in the prologue is just kinda cut-off. I took a screenshot of it:

Anyone know if there's a simple config setting I can change to prevent this in the future?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

JumbocactuarX27 posted:

The only bug I've run across is thankfully minor! The background panorama at the E-whatever tower in the prologue is just kinda cut-off. I took a screenshot of it:

Anyone know if there's a simple config setting I can change to prevent this in the future?

I think its just because the original game didn't have widescreen so there's actually nothing to render when it pans over there. It happens a bit in chapter 2 when you run by this ocean shore and you will see the ocean occasionally clip in black because you shouldn't be able to see it loading the ocean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

You can also see it in Ys: Oath at times, like when you're outside of Valestein Castle.

• Locked thread