Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

The Duggler posted:

How bad are IPS panels for FPS games really? I don't play any games competitively, but I do play the occasional rounds of BF4.

I am guessing that for RPG and less twitchy games the response time isn't as big of a deal, but I don't want to be swearing at my monitor for getting me killed.

80% of what I use my computer for would benefit from IPS, but I don't wanna suffer too hard while playing shootmans.

I play BF4 on a large IPS screen with no tweaks and I have a positive ratio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Okay thanks, I am coming from using an HDTV as my main display, and I was finding my eyes would be in pain after trying to read anything so I decided to get a desk/monitor. I suppose if the ghosting or response time is bad I can always use the TV for games and the monitor for reading/writing/everything else.

IPS it is!

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
The monitor electronics are MUCH more important than the panel itself when it comes to gaming response time. The Korean IPS monitors are one extreme of this, they are basically a bare IPS panel connected to a DVI port with no overdrive, and worst-case response time can be as high as ~22ms (typical is below 16ms). However, because they have no electronics they also have zero input lag, even most gaming monitors have at least one frame of input lag (16ms at 60Hz). This means that even a high-response-time Korean IPS monitor offers competitive gaming performance with a fast 60Hz TN monitor. It's not theoretically possible to beat a 120Hz TN panel with fast electronics right now (which is why Asus is using them on their G-Sync monitor), but to most people the incremental improvement isn't worth the ugliness of TN.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
LG 34UM95 monitors everywhere in the united states made a $200+ jump on the MSRP of $999, including Amazon.

I should have ordered it at $999 and just waited for it to be shipped :negative:

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Wasabi the J posted:

I play BF4 on a large IPS screen with no tweaks and I have a positive ratio.

I play BF4 on a larger, more IPSier monitor and I have a positiver ratio

buy IPS

(unless its ASUS swift)

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

1gnoirents posted:

buy IPS

(unless its ASUS swift)

:goonsay:

jk i'm actually pretty jealous, I play pubs only, and I'm garbage

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

KakerMix posted:

LG 34UM95 monitors everywhere in the united states made a $200+ jump on the MSRP of $999, including Amazon.

I should have ordered it at $999 and just waited for it to be shipped :negative:
Massdrop has it at $899, likely to reach $849: http://www.massdrop.com/buy/lg-34um94-ultrawide-monitor

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Wasabi the J posted:

:goonsay:

jk i'm actually pretty jealous, I play pubs only, and I'm garbage

trust me its more embarrassing than good. However I too only play pubs, I only play with a few friends who are terrible, and sometimes I'll spend whole games flashbanging and knifing tanks so I wonder how "good" I could be if I tried and/or joined a group who actually knew how to play the game

but im too busy and old for that poo poo now

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

1gnoirents posted:

buy IPS

(unless its ASUS swift)

I play BF4 on a 'slow' 27" IPS monitor, the U2713HM and I have no problems with KDR :v:

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Wibla posted:

I play BF4 on a 'slow' 27" IPS monitor, the U2713HM and I have no problems with KDR :v:

Now I want to try hard grrr. I have to say though, monitor lag bugged the poo poo out of me for this game before I had the qnix. More so than any other game I've played (before I'd only ever notice if it was on an actual tv)

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah I don't really notice input lag on this 27", but I probably would if I tried a 120hz monitor for any amount of time. So I don't.

I generally only play with friends, it's pretty easy to get good stats when you have your squad on TS/mumble/skype and mostly play on lockers :sun:

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Wibla posted:

Yeah I don't really notice input lag on this 27", but I probably would if I tried a 120hz monitor for any amount of time. So I don't.

I generally only play with friends, it's pretty easy to get good stats when you have your squad on TS/mumble/skype and mostly play on lockers :sun:

Yeah I know... for something so inconsequential as battlefield 4 stats I wish I tried and had even a few good player friends, the game comes very naturally to me and I could have been pretty up there. I really wish I could make a video showing exactly how much I gently caress around and still get those numbers but, of course, its BF4 stats and I should care about literally anything else more lol.

I'm not saying yours has lag, but whatever I was using sure did. I'd relate it to nearly vsync level lag. Then I had an LG 27 1080p :v: that was actually very good about that, and this qnix is virtually perfect

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

A FB post from Asus indicates that the Swift will be only $649 instead of $800. :v:

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

God dammit. Dammit.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

El Scotch posted:

A FB post from Asus indicates that the Swift will be only $649 instead of $800. :v:

poo poo. ASUS, stop making me think about emptying my bank account for unique relatively high-quality e-peen enhancers.

Psy890
Jan 18, 2005

The current deal I'm looking at on newegg is this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005588

Edit: $116.10 with coupon code monitors + free shipping

Is 22" 16:9 enough coming from 19" 4:3?

Psy890 fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 1, 2014

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Ooh, cool new site:

http://www.displaywars.com/22-inch-16x9-vs-19-inch-4x3

The 22" is a little shorter, you need at least 23.5" to match the height.

Kuai
May 25, 2004
So my asus vh236h finally died after a good 3 and a half years of continuous use. I am currently planning on buying another but has their been a cheaper/better relative quality as the asus vh236h around 150ish bucks?

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Kuai posted:

So my asus vh236h finally died after a good 3 and a half years of continuous use. I am currently planning on buying another but has their been a cheaper/better relative quality as the asus vh236h around 150ish bucks?

$150 puts you into entry-level IPS territory with models like the Dell S2340M and ASUS VS239H-P. That being said, 3 1/2 years is not a long time for even the cheapest monitor. How is it malfunctioning? Does it just not turn on anymore or is it something else?

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 2, 2014

Kuai
May 25, 2004

Zorilla posted:

$150 puts you into entry-level IPS territory with models like the Dell S2340M and ASUS VS239H-P. That being said, 3 1/2 years is not a long time for even the cheapest monitor. How is it malfunctioning? Does it just not turn on anymore or is it something else?

It just turns itself off after probably like 5-10 minutes. I was noticing very faint brightness flickering but didn't think nothing of it and attributed it to the game I was playing being near torches.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Josh Lyman posted:

Massdrop has it at $899, likely to reach $849: http://www.massdrop.com/buy/lg-34um94-ultrawide-monitor

Sweet, but the fact that it's a 34UM95 but called a 34UM94 on this Massdrop site tells me this isn't the monitor I'm after, and reading the description says things like 'not released' and 'commercial version'. It's weirding me out.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 2, 2014

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Kuai posted:

It just turns itself off after probably like 5-10 minutes. I was noticing very faint brightness flickering but didn't think nothing of it and attributed it to the game I was playing being near torches.

This sounds like either the inverter circuitry or the lamps themselves. Judging by the inverter connectors on the power supply, it looks like your panel uses either 2 or 4 fluorescent bulbs, so the likelihood they all went bad at once is slim. The power board has quite a few electrolytic capacitors on it, so there's a good chance they need to be changed at this point (if you're into doing that sort of thing).

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

KakerMix posted:

Sweet, but the fact that it's a 34UM95 but called a 34UM94 on this Massdrop site tells me this isn't the monitor I'm after, and reading the description says things like 'not released' and 'commercial version'. It's weirding me out.

It's the same monitor; it's just a special version for Massdrop.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
I'm looking to get a new monitor for my home office. The use case is really photo/video-editing and light gaming, though to be honest, I'm not trying to be some pro-gamer that requires millisecond perfection. Larger is better, but to be honest, I'd be okay with 24" if that's still what has the best performance. Budget caps around $700-800. Should I still go for the old stand-by of the U2412?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

KakerMix posted:

It's not a special version for Massdrop, and it is the same monitor. This version is just from their pro series, which are literally physically identical but comes with triple the warranty (1 year versus 3). So it's an even better deal.

SteviaFan420
Apr 20, 2009
Will newegg or amazon have that new Asus swift panel?

Raimondo
Apr 29, 2010
Okay, so I want to buy a 1920x1080 / 1920x1200 monitor. I mainly play games on my computer, so going off the OP check list I want.

-Non-IPS
-120hz+

I don't want built in speakers. Putting those filters in PCPartPicker I don't really have a lot of options:
Acer GN246HL
BenQ XL2411Z
BenQ XL2420Z
BenQ XL2720Z
Eizo FG2421-BK

OP also says to go with the major OEMs for brands, so that means I eliminate the BenQ and Eizo (because in my limited experience I've never heard of those brands.) That leave only the Acer GN246HL that fits what I want.

Using that logic, does that seem like a good choice?

Edit: The Acer is also the cheapest on that list, which is a plus if it means its a good monitor for what I want.

Raimondo fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 4, 2014

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Good news: No IPS monitor does 120 Hz.

Bad news: Even good TN can look bad next to commodity-level IPS and you're not necessarily getting good TN, and 120 Hz requires double the GPU performance of 60 Hz. Do you even know you benefit from reduced input lag or increased frame rate? Have you tried it anywhere?

Also by 'super gamer' 120Hz recommendations mean 'people who at least will be rendered physically ill by getting pwned in or giving up on some FPS, if not actually playing video games for money', where the former might call for an intervention and the latter probably has a better resource than us for their monitor decision-making.

Oh yeah BenQ and Eizo usually have better panel quality and build quality than Acer for similar products (even if they're actually SUPPLYING Acer's panels, which isn't as rare as you'd think).

Basically, you are bad at monitors, go read the OP again.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 4, 2014

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Good news: No IPS monitor does 120 Hz.

Bad news: Even good TN can look bad next to commodity-level IPS and you're not necessarily getting good TN, and 120 Hz requires double the GPU performance of 60 Hz. Do you even know you benefit from reduced input lag or increased frame rate? Have you tried it anywhere?

Also by 'super gamer' 120Hz recommendations mean 'people who at least will be rendered physically ill by getting pwned in or giving up on some FPS, if not actually playing video games for money', where the former might call for an intervention and the latter probably has a better resource than us for their monitor decision-making.

Oh yeah BenQ and Eizo usually have better panel quality and build quality than Acer for similar products (even if they're actually SUPPLYING Acer's panels, which isn't as rare as you'd think).

Basically, you are bad at monitors, go read the OP again.

:drat:

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Does anybody have a good recommendation for an IPS monitor in the 120-200 range, preferably on the 21" - 23" side? I'm using a 7 year old Trutech LCD TV in the meantime, and would like to get back to at least the quality of a budget laptop screen.

Also, are there monitors that come pre-calibrated, or is that something you need to pick up a device for?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If you can squeeze a few more bucks from that budget the Dell Ultrasharp U2412M is down to $238 on Amazon now, the 2nd lowest price it's ever been.

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSharp-24-Inch-LED-lit-Monitor/dp/B005JN9310/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407179257&sr=8-1&keywords=2412m

Malkar
Aug 19, 2010

Taste the cloud
Just updated my AMD drivers and all of the sudden my Qnix stopped working. Anyone have any ideas?

Edit: Red flashing light, no display. AMD pretends to recognize it, showing a dual-DVI in "Detect Displays", but there aren't any options, and Windows doesn't seem to notice it at all.

Malkar fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 4, 2014

Psy890
Jan 18, 2005

everythingWasBees posted:

Does anybody have a good recommendation for an IPS monitor in the 120-200 range, preferably on the 21" - 23" side? I'm using a 7 year old Trutech LCD TV in the meantime, and would like to get back to at least the quality of a budget laptop screen.

Also, are there monitors that come pre-calibrated, or is that something you need to pick up a device for?

Today is the last day for this at $116.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005588&cm_re=22%22_ips_lg-_-24-005-588-_-Product

Mine should come Wednesday ^_^

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

drat, I'm not gonna have the money for another week or two.

FCKGW posted:

If you can squeeze a few more bucks from that budget the Dell Ultrasharp U2412M is down to $238 on Amazon now, the 2nd lowest price it's ever been.

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSharp-24-Inch-LED-lit-Monitor/dp/B005JN9310/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407179257&sr=8-1&keywords=2412m

If this is still on sale in a few weeks, then, it'll be worth considering.
Why's this monitor so popular?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
There's a dude in SAMart renting out a HueyPro colorimeter for $7. That's pretty cheap but that seems to be an old model. I've got 4 IPS screens and a TV (which I think is IPS?) to calibrate. I don't care about the seven bucks but is it worth my time?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

There's a dude in SAMart renting out a HueyPro colorimeter for $7. That's pretty cheap but that seems to be an old model. I've got 4 IPS screens and a TV (which I think is IPS?) to calibrate. I don't care about the seven bucks but is it worth my time?
It's far from the best, and if you have a wide-gamut monitor it will only end in tears. Also ensure that whatever software you're going to use with it actually supports multiple monitors if you plan on matching the monitors up.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

BurritoJustice posted:

It's not a special version for Massdrop, and it is the same monitor. This version is just from their pro series, which are literally physically identical but comes with triple the warranty (1 year versus 3). So it's an even better deal.

Alright you've convinced me. :getin:

Malkar
Aug 19, 2010

Taste the cloud

Malkar posted:

Just updated my AMD drivers and all of the sudden my Qnix stopped working. Anyone have any ideas?

Edit: Red flashing light, no display. AMD pretends to recognize it, showing a dual-DVI in "Detect Displays", but there aren't any options, and Windows doesn't seem to notice it at all.

So... I don't know what the gently caress happened, or how it happened, but my graphics card has apparently changed its mind on which of my two DVI ports is the dual-link one, even though I have been using the same one since I got this graphics card and only one is supposed to be dual-link.

Good job AMD.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
Hey goons, some sellers on eBay are selling "refurbished" Qnix's and the like. What's everyone's opinion?

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/141357251426?nav=SEARCH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

In other Swift news, Asus backtracked on their $649 price, saying it was a listing error and are now saying it'll be $799 again.