Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Hello again! We’re back with another classic SNES Let’s Play, this time with from Enix/Quintet:

Or, as it’s known in Japan:

I love the fact that the swords are also slightly different. Either way, Soul Blaz/der is an action RPG from the same people who made Act Raiser. It was released in 1992, a year before Act Raiser 2, and in some ways could be considered more in the vein of a true sequel. You’ve got a deity called the Master sending his servant down to Earth to kill monsters and seal monster lairs in six areas before a final boss fight, restoring destroyed towns by releasing the people from the monster’s lairs. You don’t have the simulation aspect of Act Raiser, but there’s some pretty clear parallels. You’ll also see that some of the game screen elements look pretty similar as well once we get that far.

For reference, the US box art. It gives us no information on who the hell the Freilians are, but Deathtoll sounds intimidating and kind of metal. Not metal enough to stop us, but still pretty far up the scale.

The Japanese box art is a bit more representative of what we’ll be dealing with, to include the ominous monster that our avatar doesn’t seem to be aware of. On a side note, there are also connections between Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, and Terranigma. A boss in Soul Blazer becomes a secret boss in Illusion of Gaia, there are some hints within Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma that those games are connected and occur on the same planet.

LP Concept

This is going to be a primarily screen shot LP, with commentary and some prosthetic personality added on to the main character. I might consider doing some videos of the boss fights, but I’ll have to look and see if they actually seem interesting. I haven’t played this one before, but I’m not going in completely blind either. Updates should be about once to twice a week since I’ve got a pretty busy schedule for the next little bit. Questions?

Weren’t you going to LP Fallout Tactics next?

Yeah, still working out some technical details on that one. Turned out to be a bit more complicated than I thought… I may have to pay a visit the tech support fort. In the meantime I'd wanted to do this game as well so I figured it was a good time.

Now, about that gameplay…

Table of Contents
Update 1
Update 2
Update 3
Update 4
Update 5
Update 6
Update 7
Update 8
Update 9
Update 10
Update 11
Update 12
Update 13
Update 14
Update 15
Update 16
Update 17
Update 18
Update 19
Update 20
Update 21
Update 22
Update 23
Update 24
Update 25
Update 26
Update 27
Update 28
Epilogue

ddegenha fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Update 1

“Blah blah, yada yada. This is your chance to do something on your own, so don’t screw it up.”

“Yes, Sir GodJesus. Are you sure you don’t want to deal with this yourself?”

“Eh, I kind of forgot to put a bunch of convenient statues on this world so it’s going to have to be you. Should be fine.”

“But we’re going to have to come up with something for the people to call you when you’re with them. Angel won’t do… maybe… Sambo?”

“I don’t think so, Sir Godjesus.”

“We’ll figure it out later. Whatever, just go out and save the world. No pressure.”

With that intro we’re turned loose. You can see the similarities between this game and Act Raiser almost immediately, but there are a lot more RPG elements. We actually get stats, equipment, and gain experience by fighting rather than by population.

We’ll also be helped out by various Souls in our quest… more on that shortly.

We even get an inventory, including a much bigger space for items. You’ll notice that we don’t have any concept of money (Gems are something else entirely) so it’s not like we’re going to be selling anything we pick up.

We have two options available. Heading up brings us to the save option, but we’ll be heading left to move into what’s basically a tutorial area.

“You’re welcome, by the way.”

“Er… thank you, Sir GodJesus. But I’m really more of a bow…”

“Sir GodJesus! It’s coming after me! What do I do? How do I use this thing?”

“I don’t know why you’re asking me, I only know how to swing it up and down and side to side. Just… hold on to the dull end, and hit him with the sharp end. It’s not complicated.”

“That worked… I think that’s the last of them. Is this thing…?”

“Monster’s Lair, yep. Looks a bit different, but you just have to clear out the demons and seal it. Give it a shot.”

“Now, I am living on Earth, away from the Master.”

”How’d that happen?”

“That’s a long and boring story that’s also kind of embarrassing.”

“It’s not that long and it’s actually not boring. There’s a reason I have that long list of ‘thou shalt nots.’”

Y’know, I think I don’t actually want to hear this that much.”

“So how do you come in?”

“You’ll have to get me gems to power my magic.”

“Just… gems? Any kind of gems?”

“Does this mean I have my own servants now?”

“In.. a manner of speaking? I can only do a few things.”

“That’s okay, it still makes me feel better.”

So, the Mage Soul is our first Soul helper. Getting him opens up a third option, going down to enter the first of the six areas we’re going to be restoring.

”This is not a promising start.”

Thread Input

What new name shall we bestow on our hero?

ddegenha fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 22, 2015

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Yessss. Even though its successors end up nailing the gameplay better, I still like this game and think it has a good bit of charm for an early SNES Enix RPG. Of course, I've forgotten most of what happens in this game besides "Kill all enemies to progress further" and bits and pieces of the more bizarre plot points, so it should be nice to revisit all that.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
Oh man, I love this game. I'd be clamoring for Square-Enix to remake this one if I wasn't so terrified of how badly they'd screw it up.

Anyway, I'm voting to name the hero Michael.

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
No joking around. Metatron.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
Oh my this game. My mother loved this game. Never did get Illusion of Gaia (or Terranigma since I'm not European) She always had trouble with a late game boss, but when I played when I was older I realized it's a pretty easy game.

Baron La Croix posted:

Agreed.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Sweet. I like this game, but never got very far into it.

Metatron is cool, but I like Megatron

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014
Charles Barkley
Restore the world with Slam Jams.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

EzEight posted:

Charles Barkley
Restore the world with Slam Jams.

This. This is the best plan.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Oh, sweet. I love this game.

I'm gonna say Blazer for the name. He's Lord GodJesus' chosen goon to fight across the land, not someone actually important in Heaven.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Baron La Croix posted:

I'm up for this. Angel's always been the straightman to Godjesus' whacky hijinks and lightning sprees.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

This has something to do with Illusion of Gaia, then? I never quite got that.

Looking forward to more marginally sane chicanery from Lord GodJesus and his servant The Metatron!

Teriferin
Oct 30, 2012
Man, I loved this game as a kid. Slowly building up a city/homebase/whatever was my favourite thing in an RPG. We are definitely The Metatron.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Turbo!

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Barkley! Search your heart, you know it to be true.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Ciaphas posted:

This has something to do with Illusion of Gaia, then? I never quite got that.

This game, Illusion of Gaia, and Terranigma are a loose trilogy sharing some character names and themes.

I'm getting major deja-vu with the thread title, did you/someone try this before?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Added Space posted:

This game, Illusion of Gaia, and Terranigma are a loose trilogy sharing some character names and themes.

Same text font, too.

Added Space posted:

I'm getting major deja-vu with the thread title, did you/someone try this before?

I think it's because "Blame yourself or God" is a famous line from FFT and was used (in a modified way) by J. Alfred Prufrock in their FFT 1.3 LP "Blame The RNG Or God: Let's Play Final Fantasy Tactics 1.3" , while "Jesus" is from Quovak's excellent "Does Jesus Get Whacked When He's Weak? Chrono Trigger, Level 1" LP.

At least, those are the first two LPs I think of when I read the title...

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Kheldarn posted:

Same text font, too.

I think it's because "Blame yourself or God" is a famous line from FFT and was used (in a modified way) by J. Alfred Prufrock in their FFT 1.3 LP "Blame The RNG Or God: Let's Play Final Fantasy Tactics 1.3" , while "Jesus" is from Quovak's excellent "Does Jesus Get Whacked When He's Weak? Chrono Trigger, Level 1" LP.

At least, those are the first two LPs I think of when I read the title...
Our character's name in ddegenha's LP of Actraiser was GodJesus.

Double Rabite
Mar 30, 2010

Typical Saturday night dance party.

Kheldarn posted:

In honor of the thread title we should name him Ramza.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Double Rabite posted:

In honor of the thread title we should name him Ramza.

I can get behind Ramza. If only there were buttpants.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Are you sure that's enough armor, Enoch ?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Hunter Noventa posted:

I can get behind Ramza. If only there were buttpants.

I'll toss in for Ramza, too.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Frag it, changing my vote to Ramza.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Oh man, I love this game. It's one of my all-time SNES favorites. It's got a lot of cool things going for it, especially considering when it came out. Because I've played this game to death several times, I'm going to be an rear end in a top hat and say Turbo, too. :v:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Freedan for the name. Why not go all-in with the Illusion of Gaia references?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Beelzbub or bust.

Torrast
May 17, 2007
If we've got FFT on the brain, why not Yourself? If anything goes wrong, the people can blame him, or GodJesus.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Hello Micheal, nice to see you again.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

I could have sworn you already did this? I know you did Actraiser, maybe I'm getting confused in my old age :confused:

Rangpur posted:

Liking this a-bunches. Maybe we'll get some sweet jeans in the next update.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I liked the Megatron suggestion myself.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Baron La Croix posted:

I'm a bit biased but yeah this.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Oddly enough, I was just playing through SoulBlader on my good old Retro Duo not too long ago - got to that point where the only thing left to do is fight the final boss, but all I ever want to do is grind for levels. Guess I should finish it soon - translating as much of the Japanese as I can is at least good practice, although most of it's only easier because I remember the English version of the game just well enough to get by.

sunburstbasser
Dec 19, 2010
I play through this game about every summer or so. Only Mr. T has enough pity to save this pitiful world.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Baron La Croix posted:

Yeeeeeessssssssss.....

Also, if this get's voted in you should totally replace his portrait with that of Metatron from the SMT series.

Either that or Alan Rickman from Dogma.

mauman fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Aug 2, 2014

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
Eight character limit? Call him Soulblad.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Rangpur posted:

No problem, everything's fine.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Enoch! Let's get super-old school!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Nidoking posted:

Oddly enough, I was just playing through SoulBlader on my good old Retro Duo not too long ago - got to that point where the only thing left to do is fight the final boss, but all I ever want to do is grind for levels. Guess I should finish it soon - translating as much of the Japanese as I can is at least good practice, although most of it's only easier because I remember the English version of the game just well enough to get by.

Without spoiling things, did you notice any major differences between the two versions?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Mega64 posted:

Without spoiling things, did you notice any major differences between the two versions?

Definitely nothing major - possibly a few differences in dialogue due to space constraints or Nintendo's censorship (like some people may have been drinking alcohol), but nothing that stood out to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J Detan
Apr 24, 2008

Wir haben uns zu Meistern der Wissenschaft!

Grimey Drawer
I'm all for Metatron.

• Locked thread