Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

It does look better but a couple things that still stick out to me are the eyes and the mouth. Because the bottom lip isn't symmetrical it looks like she's shifting her lower jaw to her left. The eyes also don't look like they have volume or the little red section on the inside (Lacrimal caruncle). The eyes look a bit 2 dimensional because the upper and lower lids are too symmetric.

Quick sketch I made to show you have the curve of the lids at the corners give it volume.

Eyes will have different shapes but you can generally separate each lid into two or three stokes to give it its shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galileo Fingers
Jun 28, 2008

Haven't posted on here for awhile. :P Here's an ink and watercolor fairy.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Galileo Fingers posted:

I like that a lot, reminds me of arthur rackham's illustrations.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Here's some mixed media sketches I did this morning. I'm hoping to do some larger, more finished pieces like this with models.

140726-1 by philip painter, on Flickr

140726-2 by philip painter, on Flickr

140726-2detail by philip painter, on Flickr

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
How do you price your artwork?

This isn't a full-time job for me, and I'm not established at all. I was thinking of something like "cost of materials + 50%," but I didn't know if there was a more specific way people do it. Thanks.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

the posted:

How do you price your artwork?

This isn't a full-time job for me, and I'm not established at all. I was thinking of something like "cost of materials + 50%," but I didn't know if there was a more specific way people do it. Thanks.

Unfortunately, I think the answer is "how ever much you can get for it." If it's a contract piece for something like a magazine, poster, band, whatever, there are market rates and there are books that list them. If it's something you did on your own and want to sell, well... you might want to look around to see what other local artists are charging. Around me a lot of restaurants and bars host local artists selling works; you might be able to get some prices from something like that.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

I took some of my stuff to Art Walk in downtown LA last month, and it was both my first time at an Art Walk and my first time attempting to sell my art. I only brought my originals, and even though people loved them, the average person can't really afford paying for an original. If I had brought prints, which can be sold for 5-10 bux, I probably could've made a decent little pile of cash.

The point is: don't undervalue your work, but do provide some affordable alternatives.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Galileo Fingers posted:

Looks fantastic! Do you ink before or after the watercoloring?

Galileo Fingers
Jun 28, 2008

Bubbacub posted:

Looks fantastic! Do you ink before or after the watercoloring?

Thanks. Definitely before adding the watercolor.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

What kind of ink and pen do you use? Whenever I draw with india ink through a crowquill pen, it ends up running when I apply watercolor.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Galileo Fingers posted:

Beautiful stuff, I digs. Here's a little baby dragon I drew. I made him kind of bird-like because of the supposed evolutionary link between birds and dinosaurs, and dragons are kind of like dinosaurs. Usually use a crowquill but this one was ballpoint.

Edit: Image ain't workin, phooey.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
double post, oops

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zoben fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jan 2, 2015

TheGreekOwl
Mar 1, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I started 5 hours ago an I finally ended up on this.

The worst thing was the hands, but still, I guess it came out fine.

Galileo Fingers
Jun 28, 2008

Bubbacub posted:

What kind of ink and pen do you use? Whenever I draw with india ink through a crowquill pen, it ends up running when I apply watercolor.

I've kinda been switching between a few brands. My favorite so far has been the Liquitex acrylic ink, in either black or burnt umber. For this one I was lazy and just used a black .005 copic pen. All are waterproof so they really shouldn't run or anything. Also I pretty much just use a crow quill for most everything.

Here's another one that I used the burnt umber ink/watercolor on - Bluebeard!

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Decided to randomly do a study on a piece of cardboard. Sharpee and acrylic paint. I don't paint a lot because I can never get the line quality similar to my digital art style, but this one came pretty close so I'm happy with the improvement.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Bubbacub posted:

I've heard lots of love for acrylic inks, but my favorite is this stuff

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Galileo Fingers posted:

I've kinda been switching between a few brands. My favorite so far has been the Liquitex acrylic ink, in either black or burnt umber. For this one I was lazy and just used a black .005 copic pen. All are waterproof so they really shouldn't run or anything. Also I pretty much just use a crow quill for most everything.

Here's another one that I used the burnt umber ink/watercolor on - Bluebeard!

Again, loving the Rackham influence. Really neat work! Do you have a website?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Here's the last thing I did that I'm proud of enough to show to other people. Criticism appreciated (i.e. why or why not would someone ever want to buy this)

Galileo Fingers
Jun 28, 2008

Zoben posted:

Okay, durr, trying again

That's really badass ink work.

Autechresaint posted:

Again, loving the Rackham influence. Really neat work! Do you have a website?

Thanks! I love Rackham and Dulac, so so much.

Yep, I have a Behance - https://www.behance.net/shelbyboswell

TheGreekOwl
Mar 1, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Not sure if it counts, but I went ahead and fixed several points that was brought to my attention were off.

Face doesnt look like its giving the thousand yard stare now atleast.

perceptron
Aug 8, 2007

I'm just spinning my wheels at the moment but heres a late one. Lots of masking tape and slow construction.

Is this a completely dead image or is there something interesting? Ive been losing out on a lot of competitions and opportunities recently but i've spent so long staring at stuff I'm completely lost as to how to judge it, does anyone else have this problem?

http://imgur.com/zSg4a4P

Edit: still loving up img tags every time i give up

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
I'm finding it really hard to parse - is it an oil rig? The palette is good, but otherwise I'm not too keen on it.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

perceptron posted:

I'm just spinning my wheels at the moment but heres a late one. Lots of masking tape and slow construction.

Is this a completely dead image or is there something interesting? Ive been losing out on a lot of competitions and opportunities recently but i've spent so long staring at stuff I'm completely lost as to how to judge it, does anyone else have this problem?

http://imgur.com/zSg4a4P

Edit: still loving up img tags every time i give up

I think it's a cityscape. I like it--there's a lot to look at. Although I think the staircase structure really dominates it. The only thing I could suggest is maybe putting some red lights in among the city lights to get the eye to move away from the structure some. The couple chem trails you have moving out help some, but they're too much like the rest of the palette to do the work by themselves. Also the edges have a bit of a seam where the brushstrokes break down. I assume that's where it's been stretched over a frame?

perceptron
Aug 8, 2007

petrol blue posted:

I'm finding it really hard to parse - is it an oil rig? The palette is good, but otherwise I'm not too keen on it.

It's an old style ore bridge, its supposed to appear kindof alien thats why the scale is so distorted. I was going for a kindof poison arrow frog colour effect, high contrast warning sign type thing.

Thanks for the feedback, i should do this more often

perceptron
Aug 8, 2007

smallmouth posted:

I think it's a cityscape. I like it--there's a lot to look at. Although I think the staircase structure really dominates it. The only thing I could suggest is maybe putting some red lights in among the city lights to get the eye to move away from the structure some. The couple chem trails you have moving out help some, but they're too much like the rest of the palette to do the work by themselves. Also the edges have a bit of a seam where the brushstrokes break down. I assume that's where it's been stretched over a frame?

Yeah I get kindof locked into a colour palette then get scared of going 'out' of it for fear of it becoming more gross and overly vivid - as if they aren't already. Yeah thats a home made stretcher and i still need to learn how to mitre (?) the edges of the inside down so thats where that line comes from, I'm also extraordinarily impatient with drying primer which makes it even worse.

Thanks for the help though I'll try to repay the favour.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

My UPS package to Wizard of Smart loving broke and he didn't get this, because it has been trashed:

This isn't even necessarily the "front," I was excited to see which side he'd photograph and post here. There was one other item inside, the rogue dead guy ale bottle I posted earlier. That is gone as well.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

parthenocarpy posted:

My UPS package to Wizard of Smart loving broke and he didn't get this, because it has been trashed:

This isn't even necessarily the "front," I was excited to see which side he'd photograph and post here. There was one other item inside, the rogue dead guy ale bottle I posted earlier. That is gone as well.

:smith: it was beautiful. I wonder which side I'd chose to display too!

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

:420: :catdrugs: :420:
Finally finished my first acrylic on canvas painting... Mistakes were made and learnt from. Hope you like it!

ajrosales
Dec 19, 2003

here is something I did over the summer. I call it "zygotia" (oil / acrylic on canvas)

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

ajrosales, if you like the idea of playing with the paint textures (the red and blue bits especially) you can get some really interesting effects with latex paint too!

Found a square piece of cardboard under my desk and no work so
(calligraphy ink, alcohol-based markers, white color pencil, whiteout on cardboard)

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
In addition to orifice-themed coffee mugs, I make face jugs:

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Sandwich, I love your ugly rear end face (it's a compliment I swear) jugs so much.

Here Traditional art thread, have some more pottery.

The best part! It's all for sale!

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

HollisBrown posted:

Sandwich, I love your ugly rear end face (it's a compliment I swear) jugs so much.

Thank you, sir. I really like your mugs.

HollisBrown posted:

The fish are exceedingly cool. Are those transfers? Freehand? Underglaze on a drat fish? :) (There's a type of Japanese print that's just that, apparently.)

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Those are actually just decals printed from a regular old laser printer. Just apply the decal and refire it back to cone 05 and everything but the iron oxide in the toner burns off and fires into the glaze.

Edit: I did however catch, print, and eat that particular fish. His sacrifice lives on.

Hollis Brownsound fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Aug 27, 2014

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

HollisBrown posted:

How much? I have friend getting her PhD in aquaculture and she's studying in Maine right now. Wanting to get her a nice Christmas/birthday/you're my bestest friend gift.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Here's the painting I'm currently working on. I haven't decided if I'm going to take it any farther or not.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

cheese eats mouse posted:

How much? I have friend getting her PhD in aquaculture and she's studying in Maine right now. Wanting to get her a nice Christmas/birthday/you're my bestest friend gift.

Umm littler ones are $35 and bigger ones are $50.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
If NeonNoodle is lurking around here, your PMs are full, I was trying to reply to you

poopcup
Jun 27, 2007

Please place your sample in the repository.
Last semester's soda firing was a huge success!

That's about 12" tall and 17" across, B-Mix fired to just under cone 11 with a D'Arvor kaolin based flashing slip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
loving awesome