Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

SpookyLizard posted:

Do you mean your only opposable digit?

I have two thumbs, and am right handed. Your thumbs have got the most fine control of your fingers, and K+M leaves the right thumb totally unused. Like, imagine if you had to steer your car with your elbows, and nobody questioned this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

DStecks posted:

I have two thumbs, and am right handed. Your thumbs have got the most fine control of your fingers, and K+M leaves the right thumb totally unused. Like, imagine if you had to steer your car with your elbows, and nobody questioned this.

But lots of mice have thumb buttons and almost every game will let you rebind to those. This is kind of a silly point to make because PC gear is very affordable to get pretty much whatever you need. I mean the $20 Kensington mouse I'm using now has two thumb buttons and the mouse wheel is clicky too.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

DStecks posted:

Sounds like you want this

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f9/Wireless-trackman-mouse.jpg

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

This was made so that kids with motor problems and deformed hands could play videogames, so making fun of that is kind of dick move.

Is this the one that had drama with Penny Arcade?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

That's getting there, but a trackball is still a little redundant strapped to a mouse, as far as gaming goes.

The ideal piece of equipment would be if that trackball was replaced with a gamepad thumbstick, something that can just be held in one direction. Of course, that could also gently caress with your ability to move the mouse, since that does use your thumb... maybe if there were little slings for your fingers to slip into? Like a glove strapped to the mouse? It would probably be the gooniest looking thing ever, but it would probably be pretty great to play any kind of shooter or RPG with.

Actually, on reflection, I can't imagine it not being really weird to use. Just move your mouse around a bit, noticing how dependent you really are on your thumb to move it. With a trackpad/mouse combo, it's usually intended for CADD users, so you generally aren't using both at the same time, you just want something that can be either. Maybe if it was like a PSP slider stick, mounted directly to the side? But then moving the mouse could mess with that control.

DStecks has a new favorite as of 03:41 on Aug 1, 2014

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

DStecks posted:

Just move your mouse around a bit, noticing how dependent you really are on your thumb to move it.

How do you use a mouse? My thumb just sort of rests on the side, but it makes no difference if I hold it away from the mouse. It's not involved.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Tiggum posted:

How do you use a mouse? My thumb just sort of rests on the side, but it makes no difference if I hold it away from the mouse. It's not involved.

Some people hold the mouse without touching it with their palm. Try holding your mouse with just the ends of your fingers and you'll find that you need your thumb to have any fidelity in your motion.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Tiggum posted:

How do you use a mouse?

Exclusively with my fingertips.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Action Tortoise posted:

Is this the one that had drama with Penny Arcade?

IIRC, that dude was just a distributor for them or somesuch.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Dr Christmas posted:

Most GameCube games had the controller's slightly non-standard face button layout in mind when designing it, so it worked out fine. However, it was awkward using them to play SNES games on the Wii's virtual console. Lots of games have you run with Y and jump with B, so you often had to stretch your thumb a long way, partly over the A button when playing Super Mario World, Super Metroid, or Donkey Kong Country.

Later Nintendo controllers also forgot that the GameCube had those analog R and L triggers that measured how you pushed on them. The Rogue Squadron games were the only ones I remembered that made use of that, but it's still annoying to need that controller for those games and another ideally to play virtual console games.

That goddamn R shoulder button is the reason I couldn't beat Metroid Prime in the end.
It's not that much pressure to have to use in isolation but having to press that thing all the way down to lock onto enemies almost constantly throughout the whole game meant that by the time I reached the final areas that one knuckle was killing me.
I got to the final boss and between the thing being a pain in the rear end to kill and my hand being undecided on whether to just die or something I realised it just wasn't worth it and quit.

How they decided that a game so reliant on the one button needed it shoved down all the way every single time you encounter an enemy is beyond me.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

DStecks posted:

That's getting there, but a trackball is still a little redundant strapped to a mouse, as far as gaming goes.

That is just a trackball, you know. No mouse involved.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

...of SCIENCE! posted:

This was made so that kids with motor problems and deformed hands could play videogames, so making fun of that is kind of dick move.
And now it's marketed for MLG Gamers.
http://www.avengercontroller.com/
http://www.avengercontroller.com/faq.html

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

DStecks posted:

Except you dont use your fingers at all to control the mouse, just to hold it. Its all on your arm and wrist to move it. Unless youre one of those weirdos who use a crazy strange grip to use a mouse. Theres no substitute for mouselook.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

DStecks posted:

I can't believe no one for this: you have two thumbs on your right hand?!

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

SpookyLizard posted:

Except you dont use your fingers at all to control the mouse, just to hold it. Its all on your arm and wrist to move it. Unless youre one of those weirdos who use a crazy strange grip to use a mouse. Theres no substitute for mouselook.

Those weirdos are a significant portion of competetive FPS players. There's a lot more control in your fingers than your wrists and elbows. It's called a claw-style grip. It allows for rapid fine, precise movements.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Doesnt make it not weird.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

SpookyLizard posted:

Except you dont use your fingers at all to control the mouse,

Yes, I do.

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to
God shuttup

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

DStecks posted:

I have no idea what you're trying to argue in this thread right now, for "fine" control, a mouse is endlessly better than analog sticks, that's why RTS games only really exist on the PC (see Starcraft) and FPS games are signifigantly more easy and responsive to play on the PC.
A lot of games work better on a controller because they're designed towards that end, but even something like Max Payne, a TPS, was designed with a mouse in mind and only plays competently in that context.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
This derail is the worst thing. I don't care anymore.

Persona 3 FES's add-on The Answer really could have done without forcing me to level grind straight out of the gate. Also not giving me a chance to refill my party's MP before the first big battle - it might have been defensible if MP-restoring items had been made available up to that point, but they weren't.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
Not to contribute to that idiotic derail, but on the topic of fine control, a thing drags a lot of PC shooters down for me is mouse acceleration. I mean, is it really so hard to include an option to turn that nonsense off, even if it's just in a .cfg or .ini file? It may be great for when you're using the mouse cursor for most other things, but when playing a game that requires the kinds of mouse movements that shooters do, it just makes things so much harder than they need to be. A particularly bad example would have to be F.E.A.R. 2, since the first F.E.A.R. not only had an option to turn mouse acceleration off, it even had a slider to determine exactly how much mouse acceleration you want if you're the kind of person who actually likes mouse acceleration for some reason, but not the second one. Nope. No such options here.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Doctor Bishop posted:

Not to contribute to that idiotic derail, but on the topic of fine control, a thing drags a lot of PC shooters down for me is mouse acceleration. I mean, is it really so hard to include an option to turn that nonsense off, even if it's just in a .cfg or .ini file? It may be great for when you're using the mouse cursor for most other things, but when playing a game that requires the kinds of mouse movements that shooters do, it just makes things so much harder than they need to be. A particularly bad example would have to be F.E.A.R. 2, since the first F.E.A.R. not only had an option to turn mouse acceleration off, it even had a slider to determine exactly how much mouse acceleration you want if you're the kind of person who actually likes mouse acceleration for some reason, but not the second one. Nope. No such options here.

In my opinion FEAR 2 was a step backward from FEAR in essentially every respect.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Doctor Bishop posted:

There's really no excuse at all for non-rebindable controls or bullshit like this; it's been the standard for over a decade.

And honestly, I don't really get why strategy games always seem to get away with non-rebindable controls. I just want WASD camera control, damnit! :argh:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

I'm replaying Final Fantasy VII to get my old jprg nostalgia kick, and I have to say, the minigames really drag it down. Motorcycle riding, chocobo racing, snowboarding, pretty much everything has really lovely controls and isn't fun.

The dialog is also super terrible.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

kazil posted:

I'm replaying Final Fantasy VII to get my old jprg nostalgia kick, and I have to say, the minigames really drag it down. Motorcycle riding, chocobo racing, snowboarding, pretty much everything has really lovely controls and isn't fun.

I always hated the mini games. Honestly I can't think of a time I ever really liked a mini game in a JRPG. The whole Gold Saucer thing was terrible to me, I never really got any of the big items from there.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

DStecks posted:

And honestly, I don't really get why strategy games always seem to get away with non-rebindable controls. I just want WASD camera control, damnit! :argh:

That's extremely baffling to me, yeah. Honestly one of the things I really did like about Starcraft 2 is that you could just have the hotkey bindings match their position on the HUD. I don't need to remember that the SCV hotkey is V (or whatever it is), I can just remind myself by looking at the icon grid and hit Q.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

kazil posted:

I gave up on FF7 when I tried to play it a couple years ago when they translated the tutorial fight so badly that actually following its advice gets you killed.

I've been really liking Dark Souls II, but I just came to a zone that's doing poorly in a way that I can articulate beyond 'it's unfair'.

The Shrine of Amana hits a gimmick overload. Dark Souls areas usually have gimmicks to make each one a different experience in play, and that actually works pretty well; in the original, no two zones could be approached in exactly the same way because they wre all structured in ways to provide unique challenges. Dark Souls II is a bit shaky about it, but the Shine of Amana is the only time I'd directly say that they've failed. It has three unique things to it:
-Waist-deep water that slows you down when you're in it.
-Mutated sea beasts hiding under said water.
-Spellcasters with range.

All of these gimmicks actually lock together in a relatively compatible way; the water impedes your movement and makes dodging difficult, the sea monsters hide and force you to watch your step, and the spellcasters force you to keep moving and stay alert. The problem is that they compound, and all three at the same time becomes a frustrating experience with no adequate way out. You can't beeline for the spellcasters, because the water slows you down and lets the sea monsters ambush you. You can't weed out the sea monsters, because they're dangerous enough targets and in the slowing water such that the spellcasters can pick you off. And you can't keep a fast or slow enough pace to deal with the complications of the water, because it keeps you slow enough that BOTH enemies can bear down on you. If it was only two of those three gimmicks it would be fine, but with all three it becomes too much. You can't prioritize dealing with any of them, because then one of the others will get you.

I know Dark Souls Chat was outlawed in the last thread, but I'm hoping that we can avoid the substance-void arguments that led to that ruling this time.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
They've really gotta stop those waist-deep water levels. No one liked them in Valley of Defilement and no one liked them in Blighttown.

New Super Mario Bros. U is really floaty. I've died to slippy controls more than actual enemies.

StandardVC10 posted:

This derail is the worst thing. I don't care anymore.

Persona 3 FES's add-on The Answer really could have done without forcing me to level grind straight out of the gate. Also not giving me a chance to refill my party's MP before the first big battle - it might have been defensible if MP-restoring items had been made available up to that point, but they weren't.

I remember having a fight where I made myself immune to my opponents' elemental affinity. They proceeded to cast Almighty spells until my party wiped. They never knew Almighty spells and would never cast them if I weren't immune to their element. It was just a way to make sure I didn't exploit the game but in a really bullshit way.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

It's the Crossfit gasmasks of gaming controllers.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Action Tortoise posted:

I remember having a fight where I made myself immune to my opponents' elemental affinity. They proceeded to cast Almighty spells until my party wiped. They never knew Almighty spells and would never cast them if I weren't immune to their element. It was just a way to make sure I didn't exploit the game but in a really bullshit way.

That's vintage Atlus.

Many of their superbosses in their titles have poo poo like that, naturally one would prepare with the super strong skills, but nope, YOU DIE INSTANTLY, but wait, you can use this one null skill which doesn't actually null anything, also the battle has a fuckload of hidden mechanics that nobody would ever figure out on their own.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I play basic sword-n-board characters in every game possible. Worst case scenario, you just barrel through healing items while bashing the dude in right in his wand-and-orbs, and can ignore a lot of that spergy nonsense about magic and magic resistances.

Skyrim, however, is full of nonsense. Ice magic slows you down, but you can mitigate it by getting a skill that reduces elemental damage when you block. So you need to get levels into your block skill which requires you standing around like an rear end in a top hat, letting some guy pound your shield. Or you can buy it, I guess. However, if you commit yourself to being a master shieldbearer, block's final skill trivializes the game. Too bad it requires 100 Block which takes a herculean effort or a propensity to cheat to get because block levels up only when you bash dudes (which takes a shitload of stamina for almost no growth) or when you block dudes (which also requires stamina for any significant skill growth).

So basically, if you want to get good at shields, let people beat you up while you chug stamina potions, because you won't get good at it otherwise. The bastards.

PhrenzZ
Dec 26, 2012

Action Tortoise posted:

SMT IV allowed you to cast Makarakarn/Tetrakarn to cheese just about every boss in the game - until the last like, six or seven bosses where suddenly they started one shotting you with almighty attacks if you tried it. It was a really lame way to break an overpowered tactic that could have been circumvented by just balancing the moves better.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Cleretic posted:

I gave up on FF7 when I tried to play it a couple years ago when they translated the tutorial fight so badly that actually following its advice gets you killed.

I've been really liking Dark Souls II, but I just came to a zone that's doing poorly in a way that I can articulate beyond 'it's unfair'.

The Shrine of Amana hits a gimmick overload. Dark Souls areas usually have gimmicks to make each one a different experience in play, and that actually works pretty well; in the original, no two zones could be approached in exactly the same way because they wre all structured in ways to provide unique challenges. Dark Souls II is a bit shaky about it, but the Shine of Amana is the only time I'd directly say that they've failed. It has three unique things to it:
-Waist-deep water that slows you down when you're in it.
-Mutated sea beasts hiding under said water.
-Spellcasters with range.

All of these gimmicks actually lock together in a relatively compatible way; the water impedes your movement and makes dodging difficult, the sea monsters hide and force you to watch your step, and the spellcasters force you to keep moving and stay alert. The problem is that they compound, and all three at the same time becomes a frustrating experience with no adequate way out. You can't beeline for the spellcasters, because the water slows you down and lets the sea monsters ambush you. You can't weed out the sea monsters, because they're dangerous enough targets and in the slowing water such that the spellcasters can pick you off. And you can't keep a fast or slow enough pace to deal with the complications of the water, because it keeps you slow enough that BOTH enemies can bear down on you. If it was only two of those three gimmicks it would be fine, but with all three it becomes too much. You can't prioritize dealing with any of them, because then one of the others will get you.

I know Dark Souls Chat was outlawed in the last thread, but I'm hoping that we can avoid the substance-void arguments that led to that ruling this time.
Dark Souls II really wants you to use a Bow. It's blatantly obvious in the Shrine, if you don't have a ranged option, the difficulty increases tenfold. For the love of your sanity, invest in some arrows or bolts.

kazil posted:

I'm playing it for the first time and even though I loving hate minigames, it's not that bad (especially after you get over the terrible, terrible Junon segment where there's like 5 pointless ones back-to-back). What really drags it down for me is the menus. I don't know if I'm like missing half the possibilities (because I can't try every button that might make sense because the button mapping on the PC version is atrocious), but there is no way to check weapon stats in the standard item menu, you can't unequip accessories at all, meaning I have to awkwardly juggle the one trash accessory between my back-row characters (and I like swapping often), same is true for armor, I was fortunate enough to find the Materia exchange menu (which is also stupidly hidden) but it's still ridiculously clunky (can't I just exchange all at once?), in the equip menu you don't see all the stats the item affects...

It's terrible and I can't stand it. Am I missing the easy option somewhere because I've seen nobody else complain about it before, or did the nostalgia set in for most before they tried optimizing stuff even a little?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Simply Simon posted:

Dark Souls II really wants you to use a Bow. It's blatantly obvious in the Shrine, if you don't have a ranged option, the difficulty increases tenfold. For the love of your sanity, invest in some arrows or bolts.

I'm a Sorceror, I am the ranged option. But the spellcasters in Amana have resistance to magic attacks (not magic damage, my enchanted falchion rips through them, but magic attacks) so that doesn't even loving matter either.

That's something I'm finding in DSII as well; sorcery isn't crap, but the game isn't balanced in its favor at all. I played a Sorceror as my first character in DS1, too, and I found that how good that is for areas could fluctuate wildly. Certain areas were really good for a sorcery approach, others weren't. A Sorceror was never totally hosed by being all-magic in certain areas, but for every area that gave you a huge advantage by letting you take potshots there was another place that just wouldn't work out in your favor.

While magic as a whole is better in DSII thanks to a few things like the magic charge-boosting herbs, hexes being in from the get-go and some spells that make up for the typical shortfalls, I find that being a full-on sorceror lands you pretty far back on the curve because of the enemy and level design. While the buffs have made it a great sidearm option, and something that gets a lot of use in PvP, areas like the Shrine of Amana that're geared against you mean that you're probably just gonna have more trouble on average.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, Amana's a terrible slog that is completely trivalized by a single weapon you're never encouraged to use again. It's such a misstep.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Have you patched your copy of DSII?

In the release version, the casters were way more obnoxious. Still, just grab a crossbow, go into first person and pop in and out of cover, firing a couple of shots at a time.

Once you get to the bonfire before the boss you can technically run past everything with a couple of dodge rolls.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

I play basic sword-n-board characters in every game possible. Worst case scenario, you just barrel through healing items while bashing the dude in right in his wand-and-orbs, and can ignore a lot of that spergy nonsense about magic and magic resistances.

Skyrim, however, is full of nonsense. Ice magic slows you down, but you can mitigate it by getting a skill that reduces elemental damage when you block. So you need to get levels into your block skill which requires you standing around like an rear end in a top hat, letting some guy pound your shield. Or you can buy it, I guess. However, if you commit yourself to being a master shieldbearer, block's final skill trivializes the game. Too bad it requires 100 Block which takes a herculean effort or a propensity to cheat to get because block levels up only when you bash dudes (which takes a shitload of stamina for almost no growth) or when you block dudes (which also requires stamina for any significant skill growth).

So basically, if you want to get good at shields, let people beat you up while you chug stamina potions, because you won't get good at it otherwise. The bastards.

Go pick on some giants, blocking their attacks gets you tons of skill growth.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Simply Simon posted:

It's terrible and I can't stand it. Am I missing the easy option somewhere because I've seen nobody else complain about it before, or did the nostalgia set in for most before they tried optimizing stuff even a little?

I can't imagine trying to play FF7 for the first time these days. It's a good game for the era it was made, but it has not aged well at all. I think a lot of the stuff that drives you crazy is ignored because of nostalgia, yes.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

kazil posted:

I can't imagine trying to play FF7 for the first time these days. It's a good game for the era it was made, but it has not aged well at all. I think a lot of the stuff that drives you crazy is ignored because of nostalgia, yes.

FF7's dialogue and writing in general is pretty bad and uneven by today's standards ("Let's mosey", "He are sick", etc.) but it's still better than a lot of JRPGs from that time period. If you really want to see a bad translation try playing the original Suikoden or Final Fantasy Tactics, where the word "breath" was translated as "bracelet" across the board.

Reading about the way that they did translations back in the day it's kind of amazing that most games a were even comprehensible, a lot of the time the translator just had a huge text dump and had to translate everything out of order with zero context. They did voice acting the same way, which is why Deus Ex's lines like a "A bomb!" seem so incongruous with the scene they're supposed to be in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...

StandardVC10 posted:

In my opinion FEAR 2 was a step backward from FEAR in essentially every respect.

Every FEAR game has been poo poo since the first one. They are making it into creepy mom rape, dead psychic murder brother Call of Duty.

First one was ace, though.