Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Phy posted:

Oh, neat. I was wondering what the flags on Edmonton's mast signified; apparently those are its radio callsign.

Yeah, I looked those up too. Both Canadian ships have their radio callsigns spelled out in flags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
This is nice. Early F-4 mockup, before they discovered they had to origami-fold the wings and tail to get decent yaw stability. Without the dihedrals and anhedrals, it looks exactly like what any 8 year old in the world would draw if you say "draw a fighter jet"

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Slo-Tek posted:

This is nice. Early F-4 mockup, before they discovered they had to origami-fold the wings and tail to get decent yaw stability. Without the dihedrals and anhedrals, it looks exactly like what any 8 year old in the world would draw if you say "draw a fighter jet"

So pretty... That's just begging for a "When did this... become sexier than this..." image.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Slo-Tek posted:

Excuse me, when I was 8 I would draw a Sukhoi Su-15 Flagon. :colbert:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PhotoKirk posted:

So pretty... That's just begging for a "When did this... become sexier than this..." image.

The production Phantom is still a pretty airframe, just with too much crap hanging off it. If you shave off all the pylons, pods and antennas it's quite elegant, even with the anhedrals and dihedrals. The YF-4 is a good example:

Or here's an actual production one cleaned up. Take off that little pod under the nose (gun?) and it'd be really clean.

I'm always amazed at how early some of these prototypes were flying. I think of the Phantom as a '60s through '70s fighter, but the first photo above was taken in 1951 :psyduck:

PhotoKirk posted:

It wasn't at mach 1.8, but this happened...

http://blog.sfgate.com/sfmoms/2014/07/28/child-poops-on-airplane-seat/

What the hell?

From a few pages back, but just incidentally this is a rural China thing. Not making GBS threads on airplanes specifically, but rural Chinese babies don't wear diapers -- they just have crotchless pants and go wherever they are. In the cities, you'll sometimes see mothers holding their kid over a drainage grate in the street or whatever while the kid takes a dump, but the more urban, westernized and modern-leaning people look down on this and put their kids in diapers because the crotchless pants are seen as a relic of the past and a bit of an embarrassment.

The story is basically the Chinese equivalent of something you'd see on the Beverly Hillbillies.

iyaayas01 posted:

lol USMC Aviation:

Fuel goes in, fuel goes out. Fuel goes in, fuel goes out. Fuel goes in, fuel goes out.

I wonder now what the ratio is between consumption in full burner : tanker transfer rate.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 1, 2014

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Slo-Tek posted:

Notice that mockup is a single-seater; it was so early in the Phantom program that it was still the so-called "Super Demon".

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

StandardVC10 posted:

Excuse me, when I was 8 I would draw a Mirage F1. :colbert:

Fixed.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

StandardVC10 posted:

Excuse me, when I was 8 I would draw a Sukhoi Su-15 Flagon F-15. :colbert:
That's better.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

StandardVC10 posted:

Excuse me, when I was 8 I would draw a TIE Fighter. :colbert:

:c00lbert:

I do like the Phantom though. Something about it's just pretty in an ugly sort of way.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

vessbot posted:

a whole bunch of terrible pseudophysics

Man this derail was almost as good as people arguing that planes can't take off from treadmills.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

Or here's an actual production one cleaned up. Take off that little pod under the nose (gun?) and it'd be really clean.

The 'Donkey Dick' is housing for an antennae that is part of the radar, the gun (when it was added with the F-4D) is on the left side just behind where the radome is painted black, and a longer radome fairing is used. You can see the little gun port if you can find a good port-side picture of a F-4 beyond the D variant.

Even the -D retained the Donkey Dick, although it was a reduced size by the time of the RF-4C and in the case of many Navy variants (and the UK F-4K) gone entirely.

Some of the current F-4Es / F-4 2020s and so on still have it.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
If there's one thing I've learned in a decade of aviation work it's that every aircraft has some part on it somewhere that crew members call the donkey dick.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Slo-Tek posted:

F-15. That's my default "is fighter jet."

brains
May 12, 2004

azflyboy posted:

From an aerodynamic standpoint, the wings on a V-22 basically do nothing while hovering, since the aircraft is being held up by the thrust generated by the rotors. In forward flight, the wings work exactly like they do on an airplane, with the rotors simply providing enough thrust to keep the V-22 moving fast enough for the wing to produce the required lift.

The exact same thing can be done using a jet engine and simply swiveling the exhaust to allow hovering, like the Harrier or F-35. Since jet engines are pretty inefficient at low altitudes and airspeeds, it's not a terribly practical approach for large aircraft, but it's been used successfully on several experimental aircraft.

from a couple pages ago but don't forget that the thrust vector can be changed from full forward to a vertical-horizontal component by changing the nacelle attitude i.e. during transition and that they have enough thrust to overpower lift effects. also, those little stubby wings don't do much; the fuselage also contributes lift.

V-TOLs are fascinating designs but have been so poorly implemented they've gotten a (deservedly) bad rap.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Slo-Tek posted:

See when they say f-4 are pretty they have no loving idea. This is pretty.

My kid brain's idea of a fighter jet was a F-1 or an F-14 I guess.

Early Rafale airframes are painfully beautiful too.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 2, 2014

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What would be an F-104 with pointier wings, a standard empennage and no tip tanks? Cause that's A Fighter Jet as far as 10-year-old me was concerned.

e: a missile

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

Mr. Despair posted:

Man this derail was almost as good as people arguing that planes can't take off from treadmills.

Vessbot is right though, with the exception of one minor detail. Don't act like he's spouting off poo poo like bumblebees can't fly. His points are totally relevant for most jet engines, especially commercial turbofans.

Supersonic military jets operate with choked flow nozzles under high thrust and afterburner. This means that the pressure at the nozzle exit is much greater than the pressure of the surrounding air, a so called underexpanded nozzle. Therefore, the final term of the thrust equation cannot be ignored. An afterburning supersonic fighter can produce huge pressures at the nozzle exit. Incidentally, this is the source of the shock diamonds you see in all the cool jet engine photos. For a more detailed explanation see here:

http://web.mit.edu/16.unified/www/SPRING/fluids/Spring2008/LectureNotes/f20.pdf

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Sagebrush posted:

What would be an F-104 with pointier wings, a standard empennage and no tip tanks? Cause that's A Fighter Jet as far as 10-year-old me was concerned.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Psion posted:

as promised, sort of:

Seafair 2014 Parade of Ships and Flight
by notpsion, on Flickr

The rest of the set is right here.

Thanks for the shots, Psion. Coincidentally, an Osprey just flew over my office with the nacelles fully down - while I could hear it coming it was surprisingly quieter than I had thought it would be when directly overhead. I'm sure that's a different story at 90°.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Sagebrush posted:

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Sagebrush posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_XF-103

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

F-16 is the only true fighter jet in my heart if we're going on looks alone.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Jalopnik article on the plane flying ebola victims to the US:

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/this-amazing-jet-will-transport-ebola-victims-from-afri-1614420685

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Spaced God posted:

F-16 is the only true fighter jet in my heart if we're going on looks alone.
That's a weird way to spell F-15

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Looks like a similar type of cargo door installation as used by Gulfstreams of the Japanese air force and US Navy.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yep, there we go. A Mirage F1 is pretty much exactly the plane in my notebooks. Sometimes with two exhausts and twin tails but definitely that wing, tail, and intake configuration.

e: and that level of pointiness too

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

quote:

The US Army's SMART-AID, Special Medical Augmentation Response Team- Aeromedical Isolation Team, part of the US Army's Medical Research Institute For Infectious Diseases, is the Pentagon's crack outfit that was established to carry out this exact kind of task, even in a war zone environment. They are equipped with top of the line equipment and have been on high alert during the Global War On Terror. Seeing as this is the first time an Ebola patient has been brought to the United States, one would think that such a unit would want to handle the mission instead of a government air ambulance contractor.

one would think, but one would also not be surprised when we hire contractors anyway

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Prop Wash posted:

one would think, but one would also not be surprised when we hire contractors anyway

Its an army team so they can't be trusted with airplanes.

Now if you'd like to fund a redundant air force team...

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

hobbesmaster posted:

Its an army team so they can't be trusted with airplanes.

Now if you'd like to fund a redundant air force team...

Very specialized A-*ahem*-MH-64D Apache Medic-bows with custom isolation chambers strapped to the airframe next to the cockpit.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

With the added capability of causing hind pilots to crash due to laughing so hard!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Insert name here posted:

That's a weird way to spell F-15

And this is a weird way to spell F-14.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

And this is a weird way to spell F-14.

...in Jolly Rogers livery. Literally the only correct answer.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

(Credit to some poster who got this from their family, it's been my desktop background ever since)

The Phantom is goddamn beautiful :colbert:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

How about a Jolly Rogers livery for this one as well.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
All of my childhood fighter jets were F-5s :(

But then I learned how to draw the cowling on the F-15s and that's what they became.

Crescendo
Apr 24, 2005

Strafe those atheistic degenerates. Color them green with lots of holes.

YF19pilot posted:

All of my childhood fighter jets were F-5s :(

Yep, you're all wrong, the F-5 is the most fighter-jet looking fighter-jet. :madmax:

Sleek lines, long pointy nose, nimble, stubby little straked wings with AIM-9s on the tips. It just screams pure utilitarian fighter.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

At 4 minutes in, there's a plane landing that looks like it has air brakes on its engines? Never seen that before, are those indeed brakes and what kind of plane is that?

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

uXs posted:

At 4 minutes in, there's a plane landing that looks like it has air brakes on its engines? Never seen that before, are those indeed brakes and what kind of plane is that?

They're just thrust reversers (more accurately the exhaust doors for them), on a A330...

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
They also look like this:

Or this:

EDIT: Oops, had one showing just an open cowling in there. If there are other types I'd like to see them, these are just the two I've seen most often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

uXs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yz3AC93DvDo
Poor old Steve.