Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
Sweet! Super excited to try it!

... When I get my computer set up after moving which is gonna take a couple of days :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Repost for a new page.

Artix posted:

Well, it's been a little while since we had any Awful Emblem news, but today we have the most important update of all! As of last night, we are 100% done with our first proper demo. It covers from the prologue to Chapter 9, the first of three planned acts. And as of the bottom of this post, you can play it right now.

If you don't already have it, make sure you grab NUPS here, and the patch itself is right here.

Once you've given it a run through, we'd love to get your feedback! We have a doc set up here where you can leave feedback of any kind. If you loved it or hated it, we want to know so we can make the rest of the game that much better.

Special Thanks to the whole team:

FPzero: Project leader, Event scripting, Mapmaking, Battle palettes
Artix: Project leader, Writing supervision, Hard Mode madman
Blastinus: Mapmaking, General writing, editing and encoding.
PoorlyWrittenNovel: General writing, editing and encoding
Ddinkins112: General writing and editing, Supports writer
SCBracer: General writing and editing
Tyty: Portraits artist
Ryushikaze: Custom animations

And these people I guess:

CanOfWorms
Onmi
Temp
TactHack
luigimariokog
Shiny777
Mysticblade
Tanks
Cirvante
Arch

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Oh snap, gonna have to try this tomorrow! Looks good! (Except for that one girl with the glasses; maybe it's because you caught her mid-blink but something looks off.)

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

theshim posted:

Oh snap, gonna have to try this tomorrow! Looks good! (Except for that one girl with the glasses; maybe it's because you caught her mid-blink but something looks off.)

That is in fact exactly what happened there. You see, FE coding has this wonderful command called [HalfCloseEyes]. It does exactly what it sounds like it does. In fact, it's a great code because it lets you play around with how a character is emoting in any given scene. A fun thing to keep an eye out for is how often we had to use/abuse stuff like this given the limited portraits we had to work with. Some characters just look better doing a smug look than others.

Edit: And now I regret not suggesting using another :smuggo: line for our screenshots.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
If I can figure out how to get the emulator to work without destroying my computer I will be sure to give this a try.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Nearly done with chapter 2 and you guys certainly did a good job of capturing what made Fire Emblem 7 the game that was Fire Emblem 7.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Went ahead and played a couple chapters, looks pretty good so far. I just hit the first level with peg knights, and the Flight Lance seems to have its description cut off by one character(flier instead of fliers?) You guys have done a great job so far, it really feels like I'm just playing a new fire emblem game. I love the enemy descriptions on some of the bosses, it's good to know that the people I'm killing are horrible puppy kicking monsters.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

If you're doing a defense mission, you may want to write a slightly different outcome, or at least different dialog if the player does the obvious thing - charge forward and slay all before him. I spent the last two turns just hanging around, wondering whether the game will acknowledge my success in any way.

Visiting the hut in the forest near where you recruit Frank replays the dialog between Judith and Niccolo from the prologue chapter.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Aug 1, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The writing is fairly good (I got vaguely terrified when the council scenes started but they were incredibly brief and got straight to the point so they're fine by me) and the game itself is well-designed.

Some of the custom sprites and animations are incredibly wonky, and a few specific lines are odd/stiff and could do with another pass over by an editor, but all of those things can be fixed easily enough.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Aug 1, 2014

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Xander77 posted:

If you're doing a defense mission, you may want to write a slightly different outcome, or at least different dialog if the player does the obvious thing - charge forward and slay all before him. I spent the last two turns just hanging around, wondering whether the game will acknowledge my success in any way.
We plan to, it's just that the eventing for this requires some time to hammer out all the possibilities and we didn't have time for it right now.

quote:

Visiting the hut in the forest near where you recruit Frank replays the dialog between Judith and Niccolo from the prologue chapter.
drat that crazy mountain hermit, he keeps putting other text over his! :argh:
I swear I've fixed that like, 3 times already but I guess not. I'll fix that up.

Endorph posted:

Some of the custom sprites and animations are incredibly wonky, and a few specific lines are odd/stiff and could do with another pass over by an editor, but all of those things can be fixed easily enough.
We can look into it, though it's debatable how "easy" animations are to change. Fun fact, the last thing I did before releasing the demo was insert a couple new animations because I was that paranoid that they would bug out for no good reason and explode the rom. It's happened before.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Aug 1, 2014

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Endorph posted:

The writing is fairly good (I got vaguely terrified when the council scenes started but they were incredibly brief and got straight to the point so they're fine by me) and the game itself is well-designed.

We were also pretty terrified about that not gonna lie, so we did our best to keep things brief.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

FPzero posted:

We plan to, it's just that the eventing for this requires some time to hammer out all the possibilities and we didn't have time for it right now.

So does the following report involve eventing? I am unfamiliar with the terminology.

Zwingley hasn't posted:

Chapter 3 Intro: In the transition before the conversation between June and Martin granting the Light Rune, Niccolo and Martin(?) are standing together, and Niccolo's square is pinged. At the end of the conversation, Martin moves east to stand with June and Niccolo moves west to Judith. It seems like it should be June and Maritn standing together somewhere. The scene still functions as normal, but the ping and character positions are a little misleading.

Or is this exactly what you're looking for? :v:

Overall it seems really good and I like it a lot, though! I think the script might need another pass or two by an editor; I've spotted a handful of instances where capital letters follow commas after a line break, for example.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Zwingley posted:

So does the following report involve eventing? I am unfamiliar with the terminology.

"Eventing", to give the short version, is anything that actually happens in the game. A text file gets called up, the music changes, someone gets converted from enemy to ally, people move around in cutscenes, a scripted fight, whatever (and all the variables and triggers needed to accomplish these things, of course). To put it another way, calling up a conversation is done through events. The actual contents of that conversation is not. Giving the player an item is eventing, the properties of that item are not.

So yes, the bit that you quoted is almost entirely events controlling where the camera is, where the cursor is being pinged, who's moving where, and calling up the next conversation. Still, don't delete it or anything, we'll see if we can make that a bit more clear when we get around to fixing up this stuff.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

That was a very succint explanation, Artix, thanks.

In this specific instance, I had to change all character movement commands from using named referencing to using coordinate-based referencing to avoid the rom breaking. So, movement commands like this:

MOVE Richter [10,-1]

became

MOVE [8,2] [10,-1]

Basically, if I reference a character by name and that character doesn't exist in the scene, the game will hang and freeze. If you use a coordinate-based reference, the game doesn't care if there's actually a unit in that square and will continue whether or not there was anything to move. So what happens if a character is dead and the game calls their name? It freezes. So that's why I changed all the MOVE commands for chapter 3. I'm guessing what happened here is that I probably mixed up who was who since I was no longer dealing with names and somehow missed it in the last test. It was one of the final changes we made before making the patch so I'm not surprised it wasn't tested fully.

And now you know why! One way or another, we'll definitely fix it up.

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

Zwingley posted:

Overall it seems really good and I like it a lot, though! I think the script might need another pass or two by an editor; I've spotted a handful of instances where capital letters follow commas after a line break, for example.

Script editing as it appears in game is all on FP, Blastinus, and myself. Sometimes a line ends up getting inserted oddly due to how FEditor works. Definitely tell us if stuff like that looks or reads wrong.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I don't remember Hector being so... goddamn... slow. Judith could really benefit from another movement square or two (so could everyone, really).

I think I've seen like two or three levels ups that increased more than 3 stats. A contrast to the usual FF7 generosity.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Might just be you getting used back to FE7's 5 move for most people. Threw me off as well since I'd gotten used to generous move ranges of FE13.

Also glad to see this finally out. Rowan pulled a perfect level. :toot:

E: drat, I misremembering Awakening move stat's now. Also, did you notice that Ferris is 5 move?

Mysticblade fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Aug 2, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Hector had five move just like the other lords and unmounted units in general. He just didn't get any on promotion like everyone else did and that put him on par with Generals. Awakening is much the same, your basic unmounted unit has five move before promotion.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Xander77 posted:

I think I've seen like two or three levels ups that increased more than 3 stats. A contrast to the usual FF7 generosity.

Working as intended, actually. We ran the numbers to see what our baselines were, and the average unit in FE7 has about a 310% growth total. The lords trend a little higher at 330-ish, and obviously the prepromotes are lower, typically around the 240-250 mark. So a three stat level is what you should expect.

For the curious, FE6 (once you remove the outliers like Karel and Fa) has an average of around 290% and FE8 is a little bit higher, around the 320 mark, but it's distributed better which is why FE8 units tend to be better overall.

That said, if you're coming off Awakening where you get a 60+ growth in all your important stats then yeah, it's going to feel stingy as gently caress.

E: For reference, it changes from character to character, but ours tend to be somewhere between 290 and 305. Judith is 330.

Artix fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 2, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Xander77 posted:

I don't remember Hector being so... goddamn... slow. Judith could really benefit from another movement square or two (so could everyone, really).

Yeah I think both these things are just the contrast of coming off of Awakening. Everyone has normal move and normal growth for the game they're in.

Heck, they actually increased the Armor Knight's move to 5.

Though, speaking of, do you guys have the growth rates posted anywhere? Angus hit his speed growth every single level and I'm curious how bizarrely lucky I was.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Aug 2, 2014

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

...Huh, I legitimately thought we pegged them higher than that. We're way closer to FE6 than I thought we were. The blacked out character is one that was original joining in Chapter 7, but we moved them to later in the game.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Artix posted:

...Huh, I legitimately thought we pegged them higher than that. We're way closer to FE6 than I thought we were. The blacked out character is one that was original joining in Chapter 7, but we moved them to later in the game.
Looks like it should average somewhere around 295%. Do the later characters have higher growths?

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

The initial way we approached growths and bases was looking at similar characters in the 3 GBA games and using them as a baseline. Unfortunately, because some units tend to be more specialized than others, we ended up with some odd looking growths. We also had some early issues with units like Rose being pure murder machines and not really needing to use anyone else. I also think when we first did Edgar's stats, he would basically cap everything except res on average. We did probably overcompensate with some units, and it's definitely on our list to look over now.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

All I know is that my Judith's first level-up got her HP.

Just a point of HP. :negative:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Congratulations, because of the pseudo-random way that the RNG seed is determined, you got the worst possible level (that we know of) out of the prologue. :)

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

And Willow's first level-up is HP only as well! :toot: You're the only one not letting me down here, Rowan. You at least got some Strength and Skill with the HP.

e: Clover's the best, she got everything except Str and Res, you're getting into Endgame once we get there, lady.

Terper fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 2, 2014

Vaxan
Dec 25, 2010
Bug Report on Chapter 9. If you rescue Jack with a character, he still says time to skedaddle then runs off and crashes the game if you look at the stats of that character. Alternatively if you use a rescue staff to bring him to you then he runs through walls in a spiraling pattern until he hits the staircase where he disappears from.

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

Terper posted:

And Willow's first level-up is HP only as well! :toot: You're the only one not letting me down here, Rowan. You at least got some Strength and Skill with the HP.

e: Clover's the best, she got everything except Str and Res, you're getting into Endgame once we get there, lady.

Give it time, Rowan is a disappointment. He will let you down at the worst possible time, every time.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Vaxan posted:

Bug Report on Chapter 9. If you rescue Jack with a character, he still says time to skedaddle then runs off and crashes the game if you look at the stats of that character. Alternatively if you use a rescue staff to bring him to you then he runs through walls in a spiraling pattern until he hits the staircase where he disappears from.

Yeah, that's the big one that we're trying to figure out how to deal with. We really would like to keep it the way it is, but I think we're going to have to turn the whole thing into a cutscene where he shows up, swipes the Earth Seal, and leaves all at once.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

poorlywrittennovel posted:

Give it time, Rowan is a disappointment. He will let you down at the worst possible time, every time.
He might have with that Speed+HP level-up, but then Judith got Luck-only and Rose got an HP-only and then Rowan got an HP+Str+Spd and it's just

Welp.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

So in Ch.4 To Serve and Protect, there's a bridge just to the left of the village where you get Angus. Three enemies (fighter, mercenary and thief) end up near the bridge, and none of them seem to want to attack my guys. Are they just there to clog the bridge so we can't get to Franklin quickly?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
They're set to destroy the village and ignore player units. Once you save the village, they just kinda hang out. Unfortunate quirk of the AI.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Artix posted:

They're set to destroy the village and ignore player units. Once you save the village, they just kinda hang out. Unfortunate quirk of the AI.
I thought destroying villages was limited to bandits, pirates and thieves. Did you guys make it so mercenaries and fighters can do so, or has it just been too long since I played a Fire Emblem game?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
It's an AI setting, you can put it on literally any unit you want.

E: VV

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

I thought destroying villages was limited to bandits, pirates and thieves. Did you guys make it so mercenaries and fighters can do so, or has it just been too long since I played a Fire Emblem game?

It's a specific AI behavior you can set any unit to. If we felt like it we could have a troubadour destroying her way across a map. The main reason we don't use bandits for that stuff is plot.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

poorlywrittennovel posted:

It's a specific AI behavior you can set any unit to. If we felt like it we could have a troubadour destroying her way across a map. The main reason we don't use bandits for that stuff is plot.

Fun fact: there's an AI routine marked Heal that you can assign to enemy units, but it doesn't seem to work exactly the way that it sounds. When I slapped said AI routine on an enemy troubadour, she ran to the nearest village and demolished it.

FE coding is weird, man.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'm on my phone but someone from the team please link banditloop.avi from my twitch channel.

It's really entertaining when something breaks but the game keeps going.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
It uh heals her of her stress by letting her take it out on the town.

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

FPzero posted:

I'm on my phone but someone from the team please link banditloop.avi from my twitch channel.

On it boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

FPzero posted:

Ask and ye shall receive.

E:f;b