Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The Architecture Trevi Fountain is also out today for $50, if you don't want two Exo Suits but do want free shipping.

Edit: Add in the Research Lab and you get the mini Mini Cooper too. Which is not exactly a brilliant model, but free is free.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Aug 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

I dog-piled on the Exo-Suit and ordered two, S@H Canada told me it's due to ship on August 15th.

Tighran
Jun 28, 2004
I didn't even bother trying online since I figured I'd hit the Lego store when it opened just after I got out of work. There were a decent number of people there considering the mall had just opened, most seemed to know about and be there for the Exo-Suit, and I think I was the only one not accompanied by their mother. Got 2 Exo-Suits (one ostensibly for a friend, haven't decided yet), the Research Institute, and Arctic Supply Plane because goddamnit I want to make the Sea Duck.
...Add that to the fact that earlier in the week I got the Arctic Outpost (it's got a loving Unimog! and is actually a pretty substantial and nice set), the Guardians of the Galaxy set with Rocket and Groot, and the Ecto-1 (which I wasn't super excited about, but was actually a really fun build), and I've kind of gone on Lego overload. I'll probably pick up that City ice Skycrane thing because it's an awesome Sikorsky and I want to make different modules for it to carry, but I'm not so thrilled about the MTT anymore and will probably pass on it. The AT-AT I'm still on the fence about, and I'm waiting to read some reviews of the Star Wars Rebels ships.

And I still need to sort my old stuff. I can only imagine how much money I could have saved if I had just rebuilt stuff from before...

Edit: I've uhh, probably got some cleaning to do as well...

Tighran fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 1, 2014

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I like the AT-AT but I've never had another version. It seems consistent with the "better looking, but smaller" theme lego has going on with all their remakes (AT-TE, Sail Barge, etc). There are reviews of the Phantom and Ghost on eurobricks.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Here I am. Standing in front of this Lego store before it opens. There are about 15 people here... I realized that I'm "one of those people". Makes me a bit sad.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Which pair of jorts did you decide to wear?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

xzzy posted:

Which pair of jorts did you decide to wear?

the cum stained ones, obviously.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I would assume that, like most AFOLs waiting in line for the Exo-Suit, he wore a brand new pair to be broken in upon receiving his new set.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Tighran posted:

I didn't even bother trying online since I figured I'd hit the Lego store when it opened just after I got out of work. There were a decent number of people there considering the mall had just opened, most seemed to know about and be there for the Exo-Suit, and I think I was the only one not accompanied by their mother. Got 2 Exo-Suits (one ostensibly for a friend, haven't decided yet), the Research Institute, and Arctic Supply Plane because goddamnit I want to make the Sea Duck.
...Add that to the fact that earlier in the week I got the Arctic Outpost (it's got a loving Unimog! and is actually a pretty substantial and nice set), the Guardians of the Galaxy set with Rocket and Groot, and the Ecto-1 (which I wasn't super excited about, but was actually a really fun build), and I've kind of gone on Lego overload. I'll probably pick up that City ice Skycrane thing because it's an awesome Sikorsky and I want to make different modules for it to carry, but I'm not so thrilled about the MTT anymore and will probably pass on it. The AT-AT I'm still on the fence about, and I'm waiting to read some reviews of the Star Wars Rebels ships.

And I still need to sort my old stuff. I can only imagine how much money I could have saved if I had just rebuilt stuff from before...

You're missing the 21st volume

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I managed to snag two copies of the exo suit at my local lego store. I got in about 15 minutes after it opened so there wasn't anyone else there. The manager was there though and hinted that they'd likely be sold out by the end of the day, so it seems like it may be a really limited run.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Tighran posted:

This makes me realize how loving enormous Spaceshipx3 is and now I kind of want one.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This makes me realize how loving enormous Spaceshipx3 is and now I kind of want one.

I just built mine and it's fantastic. You should definitely get one, it's a fun build with a ton of cool play features.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I built my copy of the Mini, and that is an adorable little model. The final result has some real heft to it too, and it rolls great on the more realistic tires (not solid rubber). I wish it had steering, but I guess they just don't have the space.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
My main issue is space. I've already got the $140 Falcon sitting on my coffee table. Is Sx3 that large?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My Benny's spaceship is just chilling out on a shelf, my MO for lego sets is to build them, admire them for a while and once I need a part disassemble them for other uses. But Benny's is just so big and fun to look at I haven't gotten to that point.

I had plans to redesign the wings and remove the pop-out feature because I think it's kind of stupid, and redesign the underbody to be less technicy, but again its size is a detriment. It's just such a massive project I'm not sure where I'd start.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Big Mean Jerk posted:

My main issue is space. I've already got the $140 Falcon sitting on my coffee table. Is Sx3 that large?

It's close to two feet long, maybe six to eight inches wide?

Electrophotonic
Mar 14, 2010

They're gonna stop
Saturday night
So you better have fun now
I PREDICT

How strange, the SE S@H says the Exo Suit is out of stock but will ship by the 4th of September. Never checked to see if it was in stock earlier today but I wouldn't have expected it to return one sold out.

Building the Ecto 1 turned out to be a pretty great date activity and none of us could get over how cute minifig Egon is. :3: Winston's hairpiece is pretty off though.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The Sx3 is 21 inches long, 16 inches wide(19 if you extend the wings)

No Egrets
May 30, 2013

That's right, and it's an Armani.

Electrophotonic posted:

Building the Ecto 1 turned out to be a pretty great date activity and none of us could get over how cute minifig Egon is. :3: Winston's hairpiece is pretty off though.
I did the same thing with my fiancé while watching ghostbusters. Winston's hair is pretty bad, but seeing as how lego makes around zero hair pieces for black people I suppose they did the best they could.

Red_Chief
Nov 2, 2007

Doomy posted:

I dog-piled on the Exo-Suit and ordered two, S@H Canada told me it's due to ship on August 15th.

Mine is just showing as backordered....

Glad I picked up 2 @ the store near me today.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

I went by the Lego store today. They didn't have any exo-suits left :( I did grab the garbage truck set from the Lego movie, which turned out to be quite a fun build, it's a 2 in 1 so I'm sure I'll take it apart and try the other build at some point. I also increased my Simpson's minifig collection, halfway there now. If anyone has any extras of the remaining 8 I need let me know,
I'd be glad buy them from you!

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001
Ordered mine from target this morning and it's already shipped

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Rathina posted:

Ordered mine from target this morning and it's already shipped

are they seriously marking it up by $15?

also i thought it was supposed to be a S@H exclusive

Tighran
Jun 28, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I should have included the Star Destroyer (and hell, why not the Super Star Destroyer) in the picture, but they're both downstairs and uhh, I'd have issues finding a spot for them.

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

You're missing the 21st volume

Volumes 10 and up are all still wrapped and it's been years since I read any. :ssh: I'm quite behind, but if there's only one more...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

No Egrets posted:

Iut seeing as how lego makes around zero hair pieces for black people I suppose they did the best they could.

There's a black afro piece from Disco Stu. I've made 2 different minifigs of friends with it. :3:

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I've been undecided about grabbing the exo suit, but just ordered it and a box of basic bricks to bump the total up for free shipping and the mini mini, just to make sure I don't hate myself for waiting and have to feed the scalpers. Already missed the mars rover which is the cuusoo set I wanted most since it was released and sold out while I was travelling.

w00tazn posted:

Just put in an order for $500 worth of lego. :(
Why are the loving technic sets so expensive?

My frontloader is in the mail, and I'm thinking of grabbing the new pickup and bulldozer right now as well since toysrus in Germany doesn't mark up the prices and has a 20% off all lego sale including all august 1st sets. But 300+ euros for all three is still a lot of money :(

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My exo suit order just changed to "shipped" on the lego site so I guess all the hand wringing wondering if my order went through or not was pointless.

I wasn't worried about getting my plastic kid toy, honest. :f5:

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Just got the Knowhere Escape Mission GotG set. Not sure whether I want to build it now, or after I've seen the film.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Just got back from the Burlington MA Lego Store. They still have 2 or 3 Exo-Suits left, limit 1 per customer. I went to get one since I'm not sure if my order will actually ship or get canceled, and better safe than sorry with something that's only one confirmed production run. Even the store guy was like "yeah, considering the Curiosity Rover, it's a good idea". Plus I wanted the drat thing in my hands ASAP! And it looks like a blast to build, though of course I'm not going to be building the Exo-Suit proper first.

If you're quick and live nearby, you might be able to get one of the remaining sets. Call them first to make sure there's any left, and they'll hold one for you for like 20 minutes even though they don't hold limited stock stuff normally, if you're like "I'll hop in the car right now".

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

xzzy posted:

My exo suit order just changed to "shipped" on the lego site so I guess all the hand wringing wondering if my order went through or not was pointless.

I wasn't worried about getting my plastic kid toy, honest. :f5:

Mine too! I ordered within 5 minutes of them being available this morning.

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001

Mr. Glass posted:

are they seriously marking it up by $15?

also i thought it was supposed to be a S@H exclusive

It was 34.99 when I bought it. No idea why it's at 49.99 now. Supposedly 24.99 at tru if you can find one in store.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Stop posting prices, you're making me jealous of how cheap stuff is in the USA :smith:

I bought a research institute and two Exo suits today for myself and a colleague, though the website says they're out of stock. Who knows if and when they will arrive? :iiam:

fygar
Nov 24, 2004
glorp
I picked up an Exo-Suit from my local Lego store over my lunch break. It looked like they had 5-6 boxes. That was cool and all, but I probably had the gooniest exchange with the employee working behind the register. The store was active, maybe a couple of families with kids browsing the store. Once I had found the set, I took it up to the counter and got in line.

When it came time to pay for the set, the employee said, "I want you to know that I have a grudge against you. I have a grudge against you for making me do work."

"... What?"

"Just so we're clear." He conducted the transaction without any further comment. I should note that I shop at this store on a semi-regular basis, and I'm pretty sure that he recognized me. The tone with which he made these remarks was so ambiguous, it wasn't clear if he was trying to make a joke or if he was trying to provoke some sort of response. I had overheard him talking with the customers before me, and it led me to believe it was the latter. If I hadn't been on my lunch break, I might have bothered to find out if he was goofing around. My immediate thought was that it was his last day or that he wanted it to be his last day. It made what was supposed to be a quick transaction feel interminably long and uncomfortable.

In the event the cashier reads this: dial it back. Having worked in retail, I can appreciate a little snark from cashiers. I don't think somebody else (like a first-time customer, for example) would have had the same reaction.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

BrickFair Virginia opens to the public tomorrow, are any of you planning on attending?

I'm helping run the Great Ball Contraption setup, and we've broken the US record for modules in a continuous loop. I'll get a video up of it sometime this weekend.

No Egrets
May 30, 2013

Finished the minifigures of my fiancé and me that I made her as a gift. The first time I ever tried my hand at anything like it, but it was a lot of fun and I think they turned out okay.

No Egrets fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Aug 2, 2014

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

No Egrets posted:

Finished the minifigures of my fiancé and me that I made her as a gift. The first time I ever tried my hand at anything like it, but it was a lot of fun and I think the turned out okay.

These are absolutely adorable :allears:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

No Egrets posted:

Finished the minifigures of my fiancé and me that I made her as a gift. The first time I ever tried my hand at anything like it, but it was a lot of fun and I think the turned out okay.

drat, that's some quality face printing. How'd you do that?

No Egrets
May 30, 2013

Neurion posted:

These are absolutely adorable :allears:
Thanks!

Lizard Combatant posted:

drat, that's some quality face printing. How'd you do that?
I used inkjet printer water slide decal paper. It's the same thing that scale model people use for planes, tanks, etc. Made the faces in illustrator and printed them out. It was a learning experience to be sure, but if anyone really wants a custom minifig it's not too hard and really fun.

No Egrets fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Aug 2, 2014

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

No Egrets posted:

I used the inkjet printer water slide decal paper. Made the faces in illustrator and printed them out. It was a learning experience to be sure, but if anyone really wants a custom minifig it's not too hard and really fun.

I've made torsos using water slides, but I've never attempted to do faces cause I read you need to use some chemical to soften the decal? These look seamless, great job!

Sucks that you had to resort to customs though, Lego do shamefully few non-white heads (and only 2 women!) but maybe that's more a reflection on Hollywood since they're licensed sets. Wish there was a 3rd party site that sold booster packs of heads in all different skin tones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Egrets
May 30, 2013

Lizard Combatant posted:

I've made torsos using water slides, but I've never attempted to do faces cause I read you need to use some chemical to soften the decal? These look seamless!

Sucks that you had to resort to customs though, Lego do shamefully few non-white heads (+ there's only 2 women!) but maybe that's more a reflection on Hollywood since they're licensed sets. Wish they'd do booster packs of heads in all different skin tones.

Agreed, finding a skin tone to use on bricklink was a pain, I really wish someone would throw that booster pack idea onto lego ideas.

The softener is really the easiest part. I bought a bottle of it for $3 that will apparently last me the rest of my life. The steps are: get the decal where you want it, dab a bit of softener on near the edges, watch as the decal wrinkles like crazy and you're sure you've ruined it, and after an hour it's perfectly flat and wraps to rounding. I've read that some modelers use white vinegar, but I dunno.