Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

frankenfreak posted:

It would certainly help stop people from lionizing her.

But she's a Targaryen, not a Lannister, how is that even a problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

So who does O'Brien play?

Darkstar.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Oberyn's nasty broken in teeth were a practical effect. Neat.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Juuuust finished watching the season and it was great, as usual. Marathoned it over the last 3 days, phew

I'm still getting some whiplash from the high fantasy scenes and stuff though. One moment I'm watching a trial between nobles the next I'm watching reanimated skeletons and pale kids that shoot fireballs

It's all very well done but it's still weird and it seems i'm still not entirely used to it. Very much looking forward to seeing where they take the whole thing next season as I'm not reading the books though

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Johnatan Pryce? holy poo poo yes!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Kurtofan posted:

Johnatan Pryce? holy poo poo yes!

He looks so old now :smith:

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
I recently finished Book 3, so for the first time I'm essentially caught up with the show. I'm now trying to decide whether to keep going and join the ranks of the readers, or stick with waiting for the show. Anyone have thoughts either way? I'm guessing others have made the transition.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sarcastro posted:

I recently finished Book 3, so for the first time I'm essentially caught up with the show. I'm now trying to decide whether to keep going and join the ranks of the readers, or stick with waiting for the show. Anyone have thoughts either way? I'm guessing others have made the transition.

I'd rather not have read the last books. 4 and 5 are good, but not as good as the first 3. If you do end up reading them, I would try one of those modified chapter orders that has you simultaneously read 4 and 5, as I have heard from a couple of people that it's a lot more enjoyable that way.

The thing is, you probably won't be able to avoid spoilers anyway. I'm surprised you haven't been spoiled on the big plot points already.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

pigdog posted:

He almost caught his fro on fire :stare:

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

PostNouveau posted:

I'd rather not have read the last books. 4 and 5 are good, but not as good as the first 3. If you do end up reading them, I would try one of those modified chapter orders that has you simultaneously read 4 and 5, as I have heard from a couple of people that it's a lot more enjoyable that way.

The thing is, you probably won't be able to avoid spoilers anyway. I'm surprised you haven't been spoiled on the big plot points already.

If i do it, I do plan to do the simultaneous thing. I've had avatars off since Tywin's fate was spoiled (although it's hard to avoid certain sub forum title changes), and my real-life friends who have read it are pretty good about not spoiling. I'm kind of tired of trying to avoid spoilers anyway, so might as well make it moot.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy

Sarcastro posted:

Do it. The curiosity will get you. Plus it's the best way not to have dicks ruin the plots for you. Also means yo can join us in the big book discussion thread :)

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Arya Stark thinks FYAD is a bunch of losers. Also other stuff.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Read the books as they are written and not simultaneously, that's meant for people reading the books a second time. Also I think the show is gonna start diverging more and more from the books anyway.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Read the books as they are written and not simultaneously, that's meant for people reading the books a second time. Also I think the show is gonna start diverging more and more from the books anyway.

Ennnh I disagree. AFFC was readable enough because I read it just before ADWD was coming out, though I still missed certain characters. The division was out of convenience, not planning or design. I don't think a new reader loses anything from splicing in all the stuff GRRM didn't have ready for publication. I haven't tackled A Ball for Beasts, but I'd imagine it's much more satisfying.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
That's got nothing to do with FYAD as far as I can tell. The people she is annoyed with are book readers who act like they're the poo poo just because they read some books, and look down on people who haven't, not people who spoil poo poo because it's funny. There's nothing snobby about revealing that Tywin dies on the toilet if you're just doing it because people get mad.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Yeah there's definitely a difference between snobs and shitheads.

seymore
Jan 9, 2012

Sarcastro posted:

I would go ahead and read the books. I have enjoyed both the books, and the series. And when they diverge, so what.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy

Well yeah they have to.. Even if the book is released this year (dream on) they still have 7ish years for the next one. So it's definitely going to split off and do roughly it's own thing. Which then begs the question... Do I not watch the show because it will spoil the book..?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Babygravy posted:

Well yeah they have to.. Even if the book is released this year (dream on) they still have 7ish years for the next one. So it's definitely going to split off and do roughly it's own thing. Which then begs the question... Do I not watch the show because it will spoil the book..?

GRRM gonna write the next 2 books from D&D's show writing confirmed.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

pigdog posted:

I don't think I've been that uncomfortable watching a face crushing since Irreversible. Well done to the effects team, I guess :stare:

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Seems Amazon's had an update on the S4 boxset:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KHWSD1O/ref=pe_861660_118320330_fxm_4_0_n_id

Now coming Feb17.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

King Vidiot posted:

I don't think I've been that uncomfortable watching a face crushing since Irreversible. Well done to the effects team, I guess :stare:

This didn't even come close to how awful that scene was in Irreversible. Like at least this one was quick.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
Seemed like it went forever :( or maybe that was me replaying it..

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I'm at a multi-week training for work with nothing to do in the evenings so I just watched the whole series in ~2 weeks. What the hell am I supposed to do now?

:ohdear:

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
Read the books.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Get caught up on True Blood :getin:

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010

Spoeank posted:

I'm at a multi-week training for work with nothing to do in the evenings so I just watched the whole series in ~2 weeks. What the hell am I supposed to do now?

Watch the Mountain v Oberyn fight on endless repeat until the next season starts.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Well this sucks. One of the new S5 actors has died after filming only a few scenes.

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2014/aug/11/game-of-thrones-actor-jj-murphy-dies-four-days-into-filming

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

BreakAtmo posted:

Well this sucks. One of the new S5 actors has died after filming only a few scenes.

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2014/aug/11/game-of-thrones-actor-jj-murphy-dies-four-days-into-filming

I saw this headline on a news site and cold fear gripped my heart thinking that it was Maester Aemon. RIP that dude but I never heard of him.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Jonathan Pryce is onboard? I might finally start watching this show after all.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Spoeank posted:

Watch Spartacus and Vikings.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

BreakAtmo posted:

HBO says they won't be recasting him, so they'll either write him out entirely or just have him in the handful of scenes they already filmed.

Incidentally I've been keeping the OP up to date with any casting/filming news, if you want to check it from time to time. You won't have to trudge through 200 character profile pictures either! :sweatdrop:

Ballz fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 11, 2014

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Ballz posted:

HBO says they won't be recasting him, so they'll either write him out entirely or just have him in the handful of scenes they already filmed.

Incidentally I've been keeping the OP up to date with any casting/filming news, if you want to check it from time to time. You won't have to trudge through 200 character profile pictures either! :sweatdrop:

He couldnt have had a large part anyways. He was supposed to be some elder crow at the Shadow Tower. The Wall stuff should be pretty much set unless all of a sudden the white walkers march on it.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
He was the leader of shadow tower who was coming to castle black to run for lord commander.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Reviving this thread to mention that the actor for the mountain won Europe's Strongest Man in a competition, ripped off his shirt, then shouted into a microphone "I AM THE FUTURE OF STRENGTH. I AM THE KING OF STONES". I would also like to add that everyone that thought he was a bad fit for the part is now objectively wrong.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/sports...8-1227029349696

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Reviving this thread to mention that the actor for the mountain won Europe's Strongest Man in a competition, ripped off his shirt, then shouted into a microphone "I AM THE FUTURE OF STRENGTH. I AM THE KING OF STONES". I would also like to add that everyone that thought he was a bad fit for the part is now objectively wrong.

quote:

Bjornsson towered over a blonde female British reporter, who asked: “You’re King of the Stones and you proved why there, completing all six stones ... tell us how different that challenge is to the conventional, classic [lifting]?”

Bjornsson completely ignored the question and produced two lines worthy of the GoT villain he portrays.

“I am the future of strength!” Bjornsson yelled, his shirt ripped from his celebration.

“I am the King of Stones!”

The Mountain then marched off triumphantly.

...Doesn't matter what hosed up Frankenstine poo poo happens to the character, I am much more frightened of the actor :stare:

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
Bjonsonn looked way more menacing then S1 Gregor if you just ignore his face.

Besides, anyone would look terrifying if they are confessing to some vile poo poo while popping your eyeballs slowly.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Dude owns.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

CoolCab posted:

...Doesn't matter what hosed up Frankenstine poo poo happens to the character, I am much more frightened of the actor :stare:

There's a video attached. The reported actually flinches away in fear when he talks

• Locked thread