Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Fuckin' awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
You went to all that trouble and still chose an argyle sweater vest?

You are awesome and this is awesome. :3:

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
I've been out of the Lego loop for a little while now, am I basically out of luck finding the Exo-Suit locally if I can't make it to the Lego Store until Saturday afternoon?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

No Egrets posted:

Agreed, finding a skin tone to use on bricklink was a pain, I really wish someone would throw that booster pack idea onto lego ideas.

The softener is really the easiest part. I bought a bottle of it for $3 that will apparently last me the rest of my life. The steps are: get the decal where you want it, dab a bit of softener on near the edges, watch as the decal wrinkles like crazy and you're sure you've ruined it, and after an hour it's perfectly flat and wraps to rounding. I've read that some modelers use white vinegar, but I dunno.

Thanks for the tip!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

BXCX posted:

I've been out of the Lego loop for a little while now, am I basically out of luck finding the Exo-Suit locally if I can't make it to the Lego Store until Saturday afternoon?

Based on what I have heard, your chances are slim to none. But call any of the stores in your area in the morning and they may be sympathetic to your plight and hold it for a short period of time for you. It's your best bet.

Just explain that you can get there right after your shift and that you will head directly there, and that should help. Maybe mention that you just wanted one but the site sold out almost immediately.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
And now I have an Exosuit, a Research Institute and a polybag Mini Cooper. :toot:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

No Egrets posted:

Agreed, finding a skin tone to use on bricklink was a pain, I really wish someone would throw that booster pack idea onto lego ideas.

I wish Lego would put out a pack of just various mini-fig parts. Heads with different male and female faces, hair styles of various colors, etc.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
My order from yesterday is being processed: Mini Mini Cooper, Architecture Studio, Ecto-1, DeLorean, Research Institute are 'In Process', the Exo Suit is on backorder.

I wonder if they'll send everything but the suit first, or if they'll wait for the suit to be available and then send everything at once.

(edit: their faq says separate)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Exo Suits? Who needs them when you've got TURTLEBOT XT4

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Captain Invictus posted:

Exo Suits? Who needs them when you've got TURTLEBOT XT4

Rad. I was hoping someone would do this

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

uXs posted:

I wonder if they'll send everything but the suit first, or if they'll wait for the suit to be available and then send everything at once.

(edit: their faq says separate)
One time they sent me just the free Chima set, because the UCS B-Wing was back ordered. That made zero sense.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

No Egrets posted:

I did this a year or so ago on Cuusoo. The main reaction I received was that I was 'inventing race problems where there weren't any' because I made a booster pack with the three or four different skin colors minifigs had been made in. Project disappeared like two or three weeks later with no email or fanfare. I just wanted to buy a legit black minifig who wasn't an NBA player from like 2001 so my little brother could have an X-Wing pilot that looked like him.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah what kind of horrible jerk do you have to be to want people of different descent to be represented. :argh:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

xzzy posted:

Yeah what kind of horrible jerk do you have to be to want people of different descent to be represented. :argh:

If I ever cave and buy the Town Hall, you'd best believe the marriage that's happening is going to have two grooms. :colbert:

Testro
May 2, 2009
Bought the Sydney Opera House today, and was fooled at how "small" it was on the shelf (especially in comparison to Tower Bridge), until I realised how deep the box was.

It was an absolute raid of the piggy bank to get it, but I haven't been this excited about a build since Tower Bridge.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Captain Invictus posted:

Based on what I have heard, your chances are slim to none. But call any of the stores in your area in the morning and they may be sympathetic to your plight and hold it for a short period of time for you. It's your best bet.

Just explain that you can get there right after your shift and that you will head directly there, and that should help. Maybe mention that you just wanted one but the site sold out almost immediately.

Gave them a call at opening, no bueno. Local TRU says they haven't gotten them in yet, so I'll try to keep an eye on that. I think the suit looks cool, but not $45 shipped cool. Good to know that all my dorky hobbies have the buyout resale crowd :smith:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The sad part is the resale crowd exists because it works, which means there's actually people out there willing to buy already expensive toys at a huge markup.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
Yeah, somebody must be paying double retail for them somewhere, so who knows. Ended up going to the Lego store anyway because my wife wanted to go to the mall, they gave me a free shipping coupon so I went ahead and ordered one off of shop at home with some VIP points that I earned impulse buying Spaceshipx3 :unsmith:

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Today I made an abomination (with help from a three year old) we combined the episode 1 pod racers, jango fett's ship, mini tie interceptor, and some various other parts to create this monster ship. It was about 20 inches long and 15 inches wide at it's widest point

No Egrets
May 30, 2013

That's right, and it's an Armani.

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I did this a year or so ago on Cuusoo. The main reaction I received was that I was 'inventing race problems where there weren't any' because I made a booster pack with the three or four different skin colors minifigs had been made in. Project disappeared like two or three weeks later with no email or fanfare.
This really stuck with me and I wanted to respond/rant on how much this has started to bother me.
If you wanted a brown face for a minifig it was those terrible NBA ones from forever ago or one of the two black people in star wars:

or a monster, cannibal, or villan of some sort:

And if you are a woman of color you're really SOL. Another thing I noticed about all of them, with the exception of Lando, is that they all look angry. Every time I've brought this up I get some variation of "yellow represents every race, why are you causing problems". I think that everyone knows that yellow minifigs represent white people and thats fine. My problem is with people who pretend that they don't. I think it was actually the lego movie that really put this line of reasoning to bed. Could anyone really argue that Emmet and Wyldstyle might be black? And if yellow is used to represent everyone, why are the only two black characters (Morgan Freeman and Shaq) represented with black minifigs instead of yellow? it's nonsense and I really wish lego would stop it. It wouldn't even be hard, just print the same expressions you already do on different colored heads, problem solved.

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I just wanted to buy a legit black minifig who wasn't an NBA player from like 2001 so my little brother could have an X-Wing pilot that looked like him.
If you're still interested I would love to make one for him. I have a bunch of leftover parts from this and making a face wouldn't be hard at all. If not, wharves.

No Egrets fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 2, 2014

No Egrets
May 30, 2013

Double Post, sorry.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The answer to the race problem is that Denmark has one of the highest percentage white populations of any country in the world. That's not an excuse, but LEGO as a company doesn't really give a poo poo about race unless it's for something licensed, because it's pretty likely that most of the people making the decisions related to that haven't seen a real-life black person in their entire life.

It's kind of the same thing that most Asian media has a problem with, in that their perception of western minorities might as well not even exist for all the exposure they get to them. Is that terrible? Yep. But unfortunately I don't really see it changing any time soon.

No Egrets
May 30, 2013

The Shortest Path posted:

The answer to the race problem is that Denmark has one of the highest percentage white populations of any country in the world. That's not an excuse, but LEGO as a company doesn't really give a poo poo about race unless it's for something licensed, because it's pretty likely that most of the people making the decisions related to that haven't seen a real-life black person in their entire life.

It's kind of the same thing that most Asian media has a problem with, in that their perception of western minorities might as well not even exist for all the exposure they get to them. Is that terrible? Yep. But unfortunately I don't really see it changing any time soon.
Legos country of origin is moot though. I just double checked and North America is Legos largest market (based on their 2012 and 13 annual reports). In those same reports they talk about their desire to grow market in Asia/Africa, so I don't think the racial demographics of Denmark should be a determining factor in the diversity of minifigures for a global company. In the end they have made non-licensed black minifigures before, they just stopped doing it and I don't think it would tank the company to throw in a few people of color into the city line. I don't deny that most white lego fans don't think about this at all and those that do kinda just shrug their shoulders, I mean it took 10,000 people to get lego to produce some more in depth female minifigures and I'm pretty sure women make up more than ~2% of the population in Denmark. I just find it outrageous that we can't have some black or hispanic lego city minifigures because "reasons", but we can get Johnny Depp in red face. :cmon:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

No Egrets posted:

Legos country of origin is moot though. I just double checked and North America is Legos largest market (based on their 2012 and 13 annual reports). In those same reports they talk about their desire to grow market in Asia/Africa, so I don't think the racial demographics of Denmark should be a determining factor in the diversity of minifigures for a global company. In the end they have made non-licensed black minifigures before, they just stopped doing it and I don't think it would tank the company to throw in a few people of color into the city line. I don't deny that most white lego fans don't think about this at all and those that do kinda just shrug their shoulders, I mean it took 10,000 people to get lego to produce some more in depth female minifigures and I'm pretty sure women make up more than ~2% of the population in Denmark. I just find it outrageous that we can't have some black or hispanic lego city minifigures because "reasons", but we can get Johnny Depp in red face. :cmon:

Regardless of their largest market I think most of the designers etc. are Danish. I definitely agree it's a problem and it would be super easy to solve though.

Also, another black minifig that has been overlooked is Nick Fury (I mention this because him, Lando with guard face, and a couple Mace Windus were all I could come up with doing a mental inventory of my figs). Come to think of it, 2 of 3 black minifigs I have are Sam Jackson.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I'd love a set of dreads on a future collectible series minifig the same way we got the Afro. They seem the best/only way to introduce diversity.

Also I just spent the last 2 hours building the Creator Treehouse with my boyfriend and having the best time. I'd find the pieces and give them to him to use. He kept asking "How is this for 7 year old kids?!" whenever he got stuck. :3:

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I have to admit, I love the exo suit but the little turtle is my favorite part. I'm gonna try to make a little squadron of those guys now. :3:

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
So this week I picked up 0198 Star Wars - Tantive IV for £100 with an extra Stormtrooper minifig to make up for the box being a bit dented (and having a Ninjago sticker on it). How badly did I get ripped off/how good should I feel right now?

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

No Egrets posted:

If you're still interested I would love to make one for him. I have a bunch of leftover parts from this and making a face wouldn't be hard at all. If not, wharves.

I would love to take advantage of this, but at this point it'd be moot -- his X-Wing ended up in the closet and he sorta fizzled out on Lego a month or two later. We tried the Mace Windu heads, which he didn't like because 'then it's just Mace Windu in an X-Wing', as well as a couple of the NBA guys ('I don't have a mustache like he does') and Nick Fury (which ended up being the same thing as Mace Windu, now it's just Nick Fury in an X-Wing). We ended up settling on Captain Panaka (primarily because I think he doesn't care about the prequels), and he seemed sorta satisfied other than that the skin tone is a little off and that 'his' figure looked like a 40 year old man. The takeaway is that it's hard being black in a galaxy far, far away unless you're the only black Jedi, the lecherous administrator of a mining colony, or an ice cream machine salesman escaping Cloud City.

At least the female minifig pack is a good step in the right direction.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

So this week I picked up 0198 Star Wars - Tantive IV for £100 with an extra Stormtrooper minifig to make up for the box being a bit dented (and having a Ninjago sticker on it). How badly did I get ripped off/how good should I feel right now?

Stormtroopers probably aren't worth much, but it looks like the 10198 Tantive IV goes for $150-350. A damaged box probably doesn't add much value, so sounds like you got a decent enough deal.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.
So, I've spent the last month of my life packing up everything I owned and moving 2000 miles and all my bricks are currently in storage while we furnish and unpack everything in our new apartment. I figured now was as good a time as any to go look at one of my two local LEGO stores. Luckily, they had the Exosuit and Research Lab in pretty decent quantities, so I picked those up. No Ecto-1s in stock though, so I need to decide if I want to take a post-work trip over to Bellevue sometime this week or just order from S@H.

Also, when the heck did these Batman Duplo sets come out? Today was the first time I saw or heard of them, and I grabbed The Joker Challenge for my kid (she loves Batman: TAS).

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I missed out on the exo-suit at my local store, I called about 5 minutes too late this morning :( I work right by one, I will go in and get a free shipping code I guess :sigh:

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

If you missed it the first time, try calling again on the day the stores receive shipments. Some stores may not have received their full shipment of Exosuit mechs yet.

I lucked out really hard, though, as we had one on hold all day that never got claimed, so I bought it after the store closed :)

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

I don't know if its chain wide or not but my local Target clearanced out the XL Gray Baseplate 628. They were $4.48 each, so might be worth checking if anyone needs some.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.
I agree there should be more diversity in minifigs and that yellow is "everyone" is a bit of a crap excuse, but I get the feeling that if Lego introduced some different races to the city line they would have to be extremely careful because there would be people out there who would complain if the minifig was given a lovely job, but considering the city line is composed primarily of labourers it would be difficult not to. They could always add some different skin tones to the emergency service sets but imagine the media shitstorm if they ever made a black minifig the bad guy in a police set.

They get enough grief about female stereotypes, let alone going into racial stereotypes. They're damned if they do and damned if they don't.

VV I actually think thats the best solution, Lego as a toy already gives you the means to make anything you want, adding a minifig skin tone pack for heads and hands would mean all bases were covered and people could decide the minifig's ethnicity and sex themselves.

beato fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Aug 3, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But they've already opened that door by adding skin tones in small quantities. When it was just yellow with a smiley face they had some deniability. But once minifigs started getting different colors and elaborate characterization they should have gone all-in.

I think the best solution would be to put a selection of minifig heads in sets, would raise the price but then kids could build whatever they identify best with.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Eh, the "yellow is everyone" excuse wouldn't be the worst if they stuck with it, where's the collectable minifigure wearing some kind of historical African garb? :colbert:
I think they should have switched to flesh heads across the entire product when they realised what a gently caress up making the original Lando brown in a set of yellow folk was.

xzzy posted:

I think the best solution would be to put a selection of minifig heads in sets, would raise the price but then kids could build whatever they identify best with.

This would be a great idea, but I think just a healthy mix of races and genders would be enough. I've already started noticing more women figures, which is nice.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Flesh Lego Worldwide would look really lovely and creepy though.

e: Plus companies don't often say "oh poo poo a star wars man is black, better ditch the most recognizable characteristic in our product"

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001
The Friends line is full of ethnic characters....so obviously they do have race on the mind.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Lizard Combatant posted:

Eh, the "yellow is everyone" excuse wouldn't be the worst if they stuck with it, where's the collectable minifigure wearing some kind of historical African garb? :colbert:

When Lego make clearly non-white characters in themes that aren't licensed properties, they're actually always yellow:

Bonus uncomfortably racist Yellow Peril minifig from Adventurers:

Adventurers was also the last time they've really tried to depict any non-western culture in their own themes in any kind of historical/real world way, aside from minifig series. Ninjago is sci-fi/fantasy Asia though, so I don't think it's quite as simple as "they're avoiding it in case they look racist doing it" :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Rathina posted:

The Friends line is full of ethnic characters....so obviously they do have race on the mind.

The characters in the girl-targeted Friends line have more in common with dolls than the classic minifigs. Normal minifigs are yellow unless it's a licensed set. NBA players count as a licensed set (as does The Lego Movie, for those complaining that Vitruvius is black). Their logic isn't really all that inconsistent or inappropriate.