Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

OldSenileGuy posted:

They didn't cancel the Twilight Zone marathons.

Dramatically scaled back, sure, but not cancelled.

I thought they cancelled them? I never see twilight zone on Syfy.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

"all the good stuff" being:
-anime back before anime was mainstream/for pedophiles
-Star Trek reruns
-Twilight Zone marathons
-co-producing the Battlestar Galactica remake
-???

BSG: Blood and Chrome, Caprica, Alphas, Eureka, any science fiction type show that belongs.

They replaced it with: Who is the best gamer, who is the best make up artist, Helix, Metal Hurlant Chronicles. :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Ravane posted:

They just had one on the 4th and they certainly had one this past New Years.

It always confuses me when I hear someone bagging on Syfy because they are one of the few cable stations out there that has stayed as close to their original mission statement as possible. 15 years ago, they had only like 3 hours of primetime new programming on a Friday night. Now they are scheduling original programming almost every night of the week in both fall and summer and it's nearly 100% genre based in one form or another. You may not like the quality standards of everything that's on there, but that's hardly unique to Syfy.

So they don't run hours of Trek, Stargate, or Twilight Zone anymore (along with reruns of 100 other shows.) There's a reason for that, they are all on Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Amazon Prime where people can watch them as much as they want whenever they want. There's no money in showing them anymore when they have plenty of reruns now of their own programming to show.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 2, 2014

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rarity posted:

Gravity Falls is popular and has two solid names in Jason Ritter and Kristen Schaal. Or did I just make up that entire show?

IRQ posted:

I remember that show, it was on for like 3 weeks 2 years ago.

Not only was the show real, the second season première was last night. It was a pretty good episode and introduced a new (hopefully reoccurring) character.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

whowhatwhere posted:

Didn't they also do Robot Wars? That was fun when I was about 10.

Battlebots was better.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Junkyard Wars was the best wars.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I just found out that Animation Domination HD got shitcanned.

Its a shame, because their animated shorts were pretty damned good poo poo.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Ravane posted:

Individual episodes, no, but I think they still do 24-hour marathons every July 4th and New Years.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Aphrodite posted:

Battlebots was better.

Battlebots was cool until everyone figured out to just do wedges.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
So this is sort of spur of the moment but I talked a few days ago about doing a Sharknado 2 livewatch. As it happens SyFy is airing Sharknado now, Sharknado 2 at 7 and then that other new monster movie with the Conan cameo at 9. So we're gonna do the "official" live watch at 7PM ET but anyone who wants to roll in and watch some B movies can join in on the IRC.

#satviv on SynIRC. Here's a direct link with mibbit.

http://client00.chat.mibbit.com/?channel=%23satviv&server=irc.synirc.net

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

SunshineDanceParty posted:

The one that had a hydraulic forklift flipper deal on the front was the poo poo. I think it was called El Toro. All the ones with spiked hammer type attachments were also the poo poo.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Yeah, its one of those things where practical isn't fun.

Also Jamie from Mythbusters used to do one of the variations on Battlebots and his bot was known for absolutely destroying everything it came across.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Some guys I work with were involved in the beginning of battlebots, and they built a wedge design with a flipper arm (the dominating design) which was easily beating every bot in the qualifying round and was set to be a contender on the show, until the last round (single elimination) before the show started, the pilot drove the bot so that it slipped off the side of the small ramp leading to the stage, so that the wheels were each half a centimeter off of the ground. The other bot never engaged, won by time out, and got on the show.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There was a goon that showed off his design here before. It clamped down and lifted the other bot up. Then it would take it to the corners were the metal spikes would hammer it. I don't think he ever got it to work in the show though, it takes too long to do.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I feel that something VH1 is probably going to make fun of in "I love the '10s" is how everyone has Twitter handles under their names.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

There was a goon that showed off his design here before. It clamped down and lifted the other bot up. Then it would take it to the corners were the metal spikes would hammer it. I don't think he ever got it to work in the show though, it takes too long to do.

There was a robot called something like Razor on Robot Wars that had a hydraulic blade and claws. It would clamp other robots with claws and then slowly press the blade into them.

It was the most boring scorpion robot possible.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Wouldn't the best design be a robot that just flips the other robot over anyway?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sober posted:

Wouldn't the best design be a robot that just flips the other robot over anyway?

Most robots that can flip other robots can also use the same mechanism to right themselves.

Robot Wars sucked because like everything British it had like 9 rules more than it needed to.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Wasn't Robot Wars hosted by Mankind though? Mankind rules.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I remember the dude from Red Dwarf.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

There was a robot called something like Razor on Robot Wars that had a hydraulic blade and claws. It would clamp other robots with claws and then slowly press the blade into them.

It was the most boring scorpion robot possible.

There was one bot which as actually innovative in that it was this absurd snake-looking thing. It got completely wrecked though. By the time Battlebots went off the air there was basically 3 types of bots: wedges, flippers, and spinners. Everything else stopped being made.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

No Hell on Wheels thread I guess. I kinda figured.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

muscles like this? posted:

I feel that something VH1 is probably going to make fun of in "I love the '10s" is how everyone has Twitter handles under their names.

I think it's awesome. I love watching a show like @midnight, going "gee this person is funny", and being able to instantly access their info in one place.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I think it's awesome. I love watching a show like @midnight, going "gee this person is funny", and being able to instantly access their info in one place.

I can see how that would be useful in a world where Google doesn't exist.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Party Plane Jones posted:

There was one bot which as actually innovative in that it was this absurd snake-looking thing. It got completely wrecked though. By the time Battlebots went off the air there was basically 3 types of bots: wedges, flippers, and spinners. Everything else stopped being made.

I love how one of the most successful was an upside down wok with padlocks attached to it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Another VH1 thing I don't understand is that naked dating show. Who is that for? Is it just some pervert producer who gets off on making people get naked for no reason?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Another VH1 thing I don't understand is that naked dating show. Who is that for? Is it just some pervert producer who gets off on making people get naked for no reason?

"Hey, that show where people get dropped in the wilderness to wander around naked for a couple weeks is pretty popular. How can we capitalize on that?"
- some producer at VH1

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
It was an idea that Blind Date* did 10 years ago and VH1 is doing the same thing**.

*the people at the end of the date would just get naked and gently caress. It was the "Too Hot For TV Blind Date" It was very fake.

**this is real

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Gravity falls came back last night, I watched the episodes and my reaction to it amounts to, pretty much entirely, a shrug

It falls in the grand tradition of other animated shows I liked that as they went on tried for a serial narrative, except the shows fundamentally aren't half as clever as their fans would like you to believe so what you get is competent-to-mediocre storytelling in a show that, now, isn't very funny

I'm looking at you adventure time and venture bros

It also doesn't help that in the time between the end of season 1 and the beginning of season 2 rick and morty came out and ate gravity falls' loving lunch

rargphlam
Dec 16, 2008
I think the distinction you're looking for is one is a show aimed at younger audiences created in house by Disney, and the other is aimed at people who contemplate the reality of having to bury your own dead body.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

They're obviously not actually naked though, flesh colored pasties and underwear are obviously in use. MY IMMERSION

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

What's the point of having people be naked if you can't see their naughty bits? If you have the word "naked" in your show title I better see someone hang some dong.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hah, found proof that the Dating Naked contestants are never nude:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Girls has gotten weird this season.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Naked or not it's better than our new dating show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN9jT3h0j08

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Irish Joe posted:

Girls has gotten weird this season.

Yeah, moving it to VH1 has resulted in some... interesting creative choices.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Fateo McMurray posted:

What's the point of having people be naked if you can't see their naughty bits? If you have the word "naked" in your show title I better see someone hang some dong.

They really should call it "Naked" Dating.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Pixelated Dating Because Americans Are Prude

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

rargphlam posted:

I think the distinction you're looking for is one is a show aimed at younger audiences created in house by Disney, and the other is aimed at people who contemplate the reality of having to bury your own dead body.

Though oddly enough both shows feature a time traveler voiced by Justin Roiland.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

rargphlam posted:

But that's literally exactly my point, that it being a kids show gives it constraints that rick and morty doesn't have, being on adult swim, and as a result the latter is a much, much better show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Adult things aren't automatically better than kids things because they can be darker and poo poo

• Locked thread