Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Metro Last Light gives you the Developer Map, which basically just lets you dick around in ways that you couldn't during typical play. Want to try every weapon in the game? Here's a firing range. Want to check out the gross monsters in detail? Here's a gallery full of them. Eager to relive the glory days of monster infighting? There's an arena where you can set up brawls (this is a little disappointing though because the selection is limited.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

triplexpac posted:

Wow I completely missed ALL of that, I barely bothered to use homies

Homies are really useful, too. At least early on in the game before you get all the superpowers and become effectively invincible.

haveblue posted:

It was one of the high points of SR4 when you walk around a nondescript corner in the middle of a mission and there's Roddy Piper for no reason and a few moments later he's in your party because why the hell not.

That whole mission was one giant homage to They Live, especially the infamous "sunglasses fight" and the ending which also has Roddy Piper and Keith David fighting through a television station and blowing up a satellite dish in an effort to combat evil alien overlords.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49NLNHdp2Co

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9rrgJXfLns

StandardVC10 posted:

Metro Last Light gives you the Developer Map, which basically just lets you dick around in ways that you couldn't during typical play. Want to try every weapon in the game? Here's a firing range. Want to check out the gross monsters in detail? Here's a gallery full of them. Eager to relive the glory days of monster infighting? There's an arena where you can set up brawls (this is a little disappointing though because the selection is limited.)

I can see why it died out in an age of higher QA standards, DLC missions made almost entirely of discarded assets, and art books that costs more than the games themselves, but I love when games let you see the unused and unfinished stuff that didn't make it into the game. Getting to explore the "museums" in God of War, Ratchet and Clank, and The Matrix: Path of Neo was really cool.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I can see why it died out in an age of higher QA standards, DLC missions made almost entirely of discarded assets, and art books that costs more than the games themselves, but I love when games let you see the unused and unfinished stuff that didn't make it into the game.

Which brings us right back to SR4: Enter the Dominatrix. It's like a DVD extra with cast interviews and everything.

Words can't properly express my love for Saints Row

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

Doctor Bishop posted:

So here's what has to be the neatest random bit of graffiti I've seen so far in any video game.

Specifically, it's from Resurrection, a F.E.A.R. mod that's frankly otherwise not very interesting.

This looks like Arabic calligraphy. Anyone know enough to translate?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Which brings us right back to SR4: Enter the Dominatrix. It's like a DVD extra with cast interviews and everything.

Words can't properly express my love for Saints Row

That was such a ballsy move to release a virtually unfinished product and frame it in cutscenes as a behind the scenes feature. And it didn't disappoint.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

David Copperfield posted:

*Ahem* Cat.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Homies are really useful, too. At least early on in the game before you get all the superpowers and become effectively invincible.

True, but having superpowers and superpowered homies allows you to lead a Saints Row-version of the Avengers, which is pretty cool.

Man, they really should allow you to take more than three homies with you at a time, though. Especially when I'm just cruising around, there is no reason not to take my entire gang with me.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SR4 did some weird stuff, like making it super easy to drive any car you wanted since you could pull any car you've driven into the world at any time. Except after about an hour of story you get super powers that make it so you never want to get in a car again.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

muscles like this? posted:

SR4 did some weird stuff, like making it super easy to drive any car you wanted since you could pull any car you've driven into the world at any time. Except after about an hour of story you get super powers that make it so you never want to get in a car again.

Unless you like fun. I continued to use vehicles through the whole game (not exclusively, of course, super powers are fun too) because driving cars is fun, and doing stuff like Hot Spots, Flashpoints and Virus Injections in a VTOL is fun too.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

The solution to this is to just make it so all cars can drive up buildings and fly.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Leper Residue posted:

The solution to this is to just make it so all cars can drive up buildings and fly.

So a VTOL that can drive like the Mako.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Leper Residue posted:

The transforming vehicle gimmick of Crackdown was rad enough, a Saints Row take on it would probably be incredible.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

David Copperfield posted:

I dunno if this is a variant of the same writing or if it's a different one that just happens to be the same general shape, but I do remember seeing some similar lion-shaped Arabic calligraphy a while back that was supposedly an Islamic prayer about how great and powerful God is and so on. Y'know, the typical celestial butt-kissing.

Leper Residue posted:

I still hope they make Saints Row 5 full-on space opera so you can do poo poo like cruise around Not-Coruscant in a flying firetruck after dropping on it during a dive from the top of the tallest skyscraper on the map.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
I saw a preview of SR4 when I was at PAX East 2013 and I was skeptical because I didn't really like 3, but holy poo poo did I enjoy 4 when it came out.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, I was always looking forward to 4 but holy gently caress I got blown away by the actual product. The ending - particularly with the Christmas DLC - made me kinda sad, it was like saying goodbye to all these characters. :smith:

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The transforming vehicle gimmick of Crackdown was rad enough, a Saints Row take on it would probably be incredible.

Tie it in with rim jobs. You select vehicles you've driven and customize it's parts. The next time you drive that vehicle It transforms as you drive it

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Doctor Bishop posted:

I still hope they make Saints Row 5 full-on space opera so you can do poo poo like cruise around Not-Coruscant in a flying firetruck after dropping on it during a dive from the top of the tallest skyscraper on the map.

I asked the....head guy...producer? Eh. Anyway, I asked him about where the series could possibly go from this point, and he said that he's pretty certain that the Saint's Row 'saga' is done - if they made any more, it'd likely be starting from scratch.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Morpheus posted:

I asked the....head guy...producer? Eh. Anyway, I asked him about where the series could possibly go from this point, and he said that he's pretty certain that the Saint's Row 'saga' is done - if they made any more, it'd likely be starting from scratch.

Apparently they are making another one. And the voice actor who played Dane Vogel, the main antagonist of Saints Row 2, is in it. I'm hoping for a reboot that basically combines the fist two games.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Morpheus posted:

Aw, that's a bummer. I was hoping that they'd go back in time to the 1920s and wreck stuff there or something.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Tiggum posted:

Apparently they are making another one. And the voice actor who played Dane Vogel, the main antagonist of Saints Row 2, is in it. I'm hoping for a reboot that basically combines the fist two games.

Well then that guy's a big phony!

I guess it's not too surprising though - I mean, money and all.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Morpheus posted:

But...but...but they've got a time machine and Jane Austen!

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Sobatchja Morda posted:

But...but...but they've got a time machine and Jane Austen!

Make it a reboot that is actually a stealth sequel. I mean the Saints have a time machine to gently caress up history with. Just make it seemingly a reboot of the series with the Saints first starting out and Ultor being the big bads but with a few things off due to time fuckery and then have it go weird places using the new Time Lord old crew. It could work.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Nohman posted:

Make it a reboot that is actually a stealth sequel. I mean the Saints have a time machine to gently caress up history with. Just make it seemingly a reboot of the series with the Saints first starting out and Ultor being the big bads but with a few things off due to time fuckery and then have it go weird places using the new Time Lord old crew. It could work.

This could actually work, if you place a post-SR4 Boss into a (much more polished) SR1 you could have a real interesting premise there. Plus if you had an actually talented writer (as impossible as that may be) it could provide some good commentary on how franchises tend to exaggerate their characteristics as they go along.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

umalt posted:

This could actually work, if you place a post-SR4 Boss into a (much more polished) SR1 you could have a real interesting premise there. Plus if you had an actually talented writer (as impossible as that may be) it could provide some good commentary on how franchises tend to exaggerate their characteristics as they go along.

"A new direction for the Saints: More fun, less mercy killings." Bring that commentary back to the old games, IMO.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Be the New Crew and go murder your past selves to take over the Row. Then go kick some paradox's asses.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I want the next Saints Row to either be in a Coruscant-esque megalopolis with lots of different aliens, or the younger saints trying to take down the tyrannical future boss.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Saints Row with an upgraded Red Faction Guerrilla destruction engine.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Croccers posted:

Why do you have to do this to me.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Croccers posted:

The superpowers stay, right?

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
I would kill for a sequel where time fuckery is used to divide a city into different temporal zones, each with their own criminal empire, and you trying to conquer this city in past, present and future. Of course, as you move between city parts you move between time zones, until you're fighting Al Capone with a laser rifle.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I assume that Volition still own and can use the engine tech even if they don't have the Red Faction rights, right?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
As much as I love Saint's Row I'd rather Volition followed their hearts and made a new game but applied the lessons they learned making Saint's Row to it, rather than making endless biannual open-world games because :regd08:.

Can you imagine what it would be like if Volition returned to their roots and made a space combat game or an RPG but kept the "fun > everything" attitude of Saint's Row? Or what the player character and story would be like if they satirized their respective genre as well as Saint's Row did with The Boss being a complete murderous sociopath to make fun of the dissonant "I don't wanna be a criminal :cry: -kills a million cops and then blows up the Hoover Dam-" storytelling of the GTA games?

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

The super powers have some of the best side effects too. Nothing beats whizzing down the street at the speed of sound with a tornado in your wake.

Also, this may be the weirdest little thing I've ever noticed in a game, but SRIV has the most dream-like falling I've ever seen. Jumping off a tower and just letting the Boss fall feels like when I have dreams about falling. I can't explain it better than that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Croccers posted:

I assume that Volition still own and can use the engine tech even if they don't have the Red Faction rights, right?

With the way THQ fell apart and everything sold off piecemeal it's impossible to know unless Volition came out and said they still have it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Croccers posted:

Well poo poo, now I'm gonna have to consult a doctor in four hours.

slingshot effect
Sep 28, 2009

the wonderful wizard of welp
Saints Row V, now with LEVOLUTION(tm)

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

gamingCaffeinator posted:

The super powers have some of the best side effects too. Nothing beats whizzing down the street at the speed of sound with a tornado in your wake.

Also, this may be the weirdest little thing I've ever noticed in a game, but SRIV has the most dream-like falling I've ever seen. Jumping off a tower and just letting the Boss fall feels like when I have dreams about falling. I can't explain it better than that.

Falling feels different than in 3. 3 pulls the camera close to the player and has that rushing wind sound effect to simulate free falling. 4 is more like you're jumping with moon gravity.

I like the free falling in GTA V. Streaks in the air trail after your hands and legs.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Of course, as you move between city parts you move between time zones, until you're fighting Al Capone with a laser rifle.
Or on the flipside- until you're storming Blarg the space alien's mothership with a Tommy gun and a group of tough-talking, sharply-dressed Mafia hitmen.

Destructible environments *really* need to make a comeback in current-gen games. Today's consoles/PCs sure as hell can handle it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

melon cat posted:

Destructible environments *really* need to make a comeback in current-gen games. Today's consoles/PCs sure as hell can handle it.

I'd be happy if the next Saint's Row just kept the current graphics engine and used the PS4/XBOne's extra processing power for the Guerilla destruction physics. LEVEL THE WHOLE GODDAMN CITY! :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd be happy if the next Saint's Row just kept the current graphics engine and used the PS4/XBOne's extra processing power for the Guerilla destruction physics. LEVEL THE WHOLE GODDAMN CITY! :black101:

This is going to happen 15 minutes in your first playthrough after you accidentally have a fender bender with a cop. The whole city is going to have get rebuilt continuously for you to not have a story set in a still flaming crater.