Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm going to see Guardians this thursday and it is going to cost me 25 of your American dollars. It's 3D and I don't really get anything besides reserved seats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

That's it?

EDIT: I guess that's what an evening non-3D movie costs here, but start adding 3D and IMAX and you get an $18 ticket I paid for GotG. I'm hooked on a feeling that this movie better be awesome.

I forgot to add in the 3D charges because I hate 3D but my friend insists on seeing movies in 3D. Those usually bump the price up to 15 odd dollars.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cineplex/Famous Players, the dominant chain here, has a loyalty card that gives you a free movie every 1000 points. No matter what type, so I always save it for like 3D IMAX or something.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Have any of the characters from Preacher shown up in a more recent comic book?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Leperflesh posted:

Have any of the characters from Preacher shown up in a more recent comic book?

No since Preacher is its own universe. They are not part of the larger DC/Vertigo Universe.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm sure God has shown up here or there! :v:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

I'm sure God has shown up here or there! :v:

God died.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Uh, that wasn't in THE BIBLE, canon of all canon, so no, I don't think so.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

The preacher rear end in a top hat version did.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

The preacher rear end in a top hat version did.

Preacher: Written by Garth Ennis
The Bible: Written by God

I think I will take God's version of events THANK YOU.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The controversial prequel starring Kevin Sorbo.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Endless Mike posted:

I didn't know Nestorians were even still a thing.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

The Bible's fanfiction, the stone tablets were the canon.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

http://youtu.be/4BuZamufWAs

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Alamo Drafthouse y'all. They even have assigned seats so you don't have to show up obscenely early to avoid sitting in the front row.

Oh man, that's the other nice thing. The seats lean so far back that the first row, while not ideal, is still fine for viewing. I actually prefer the third row now instead of the middle of the theater, it's great.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Madkal posted:

I forgot to add in the 3D charges because I hate 3D but my friend insists on seeing movies in 3D. Those usually bump the price up to 15 odd dollars.

Give 'em one more, to make it 16 even! :haw:

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Almost came here to ask this, then found the answer myself.

This article posted:

18. In 1995, graphic designer Richard Bruning developed and created Comic-Con International’s iconic “eye” logo.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
During the early 2000s my aunt came home from the US and brought with her a bunch of comics for me and my brother. It had stuff like The Darkness, Witchblade, (which back then was inappropriate for us but the cover of the particular issue she bought was pretty tame), Warlands, Batgirl/Ghost, etc.

There were a couple of issues of one comic in the pile and they turned out to be the last two. It was about the Christian Armageddon and had demons and angels and stuff. The main characters were ordinary people given divine powers, I think? I can't remember much except that one of the bad guys got trapped in a prison forever. Can anyone help me with this comic's title?

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Preacher?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
No, it wasn't a Vertigo title and was PG-13.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
In "The Killing Joke", the Joker sings a song to Gordon. What's the melody of that song?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Pretty sure it doesn't have one and only ever existed in written form, like all the songs that get put into fantasy books. Although I did read somewhere that Moore took the basic structure from an earlier 20s song and Jokered up the lyrics, so there might possibly be a song out there that matches it properly. But maybe someone made that up. I don't find it hard to believe that it's entirely penned by Moore. Either way, you're probably not going to find 'the' melody for the song, unfortunately.

There are definitely a bunch of people out there on YouTube and whatnot who have put the song to music though, with varying results.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
So I read this issue of Uncanny X-Men Annual today and it goes on this crazy romp through the Marvel offices. It reminded me of Ultimate Marvel Team Up when Spidey chases some skrulls through the same building. Did this happen any more times? It'd be cool of it happened like once every 10 years or so. Though now so many people work off site that it wouldn't be nearly as exciting.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Network Pesci posted:

In "The Killing Joke", the Joker sings a song to Gordon. What's the melody of that song?

Apparently it's some 1920s vaudeville song.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Unmature posted:

So I read this issue of Uncanny X-Men Annual today and it goes on this crazy romp through the Marvel offices. It reminded me of Ultimate Marvel Team Up when Spidey chases some skrulls through the same building. Did this happen any more times? It'd be cool of it happened like once every 10 years or so. Though now so many people work off site that it wouldn't be nearly as exciting.

There's a Fantastic Four in the 60s where Dr. Doom harasses Jack Kirby and Stan Lee. There's also a What If? Stan wrote about the original Marvel office crew becoming the Fantastic Four. Stan has a mustache and Jack is The Thing. Stan's secretary is Invisible Girl because there weren't any other women working there at the time.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Jack Gladney posted:

There's a Fantastic Four in the 60s where Dr. Doom harasses Jack Kirby and Stan Lee. There's also a What If? Stan wrote about the original Marvel office crew becoming the Fantastic Four. Stan has a mustache and Jack is The Thing. Stan's secretary is Invisible Girl because there weren't any other women working there at the time.

I read this book about Marvel comics: The Untold Story and how they have developed through the years. It turns out Marvel had a number of women working in Marvel. Not just as secretary but behind the scene roles. I was really surprised when I read the history of early Marvel and how progressive they were at times.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Jack Gladney posted:

To be fair, when Flo started there was nobody else, period. Everyone but her and Stan were freelancers.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Jack Gladney posted:

Was it Flo Steinberg? She's more than just a secretary.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hey, if I were to ship a full run of comics to somebody, let's say around 25 issues, does anyone have any tips for the best way to package that? I've shipped floppies before, but never more than like 6-8 issues at a time.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I would bag and board, stick the stack into a grocery bag or wrap with newspaper (so it stays as a single bundle), maybe sandwich between two pieces of cardboard if you think it's necessary, and chuck it into a box. Just need to make sure the individual issues don't slide around and the corners don't get banged up.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Uthor posted:

I would bag and board, stick the stack into a grocery bag or wrap with newspaper (so it stays as a single bundle), maybe sandwich between two pieces of cardboard if you think it's necessary, and chuck it into a box. Just need to make sure the individual issues don't slide around and the corners don't get banged up.

Seconded. This is exactly how I ship comics.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Hey, if I were to ship a full run of comics to somebody, let's say around 25 issues, does anyone have any tips for the best way to package that? I've shipped floppies before, but never more than like 6-8 issues at a time.

Get some of the medium Diamond boxes from your local shop. I use these or the ACD boxes for all my comic shipping and they're perfect.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

What was the Batman comic from a while back that had the Bats in it that had funny faces and Batman terribly hiding behind things? I know it's been posted before.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hollismason posted:

What was the Batman comic from a while back that had the Bats in it that had funny faces and Batman terribly hiding behind things? I know it's been posted before.

Injustice?

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Odyssey?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Who are characters that Marvel is simply not allowed to use despite being part of its canon continuity?

Off the top of my head:

- Rom: Spaceknight
- Micronauts
- NFL Superpro
- Godzilla
- Charcoal from Thunderbolts
- Conan the Barbarian
- Red Sonja

I seem to recall that Patriot is off limits, but I don't understand why.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gavok posted:

Who are characters that Marvel is simply not allowed to use despite being part of its canon continuity?

Off the top of my head:

- Micronauts
- NFL Superpro
- Godzilla
- Conan the Barbarian
- Red Sonja

Isn't Patriot related to Isaiah Bradley from Truth: Red, White and Black?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gavok posted:

Off the top of my head:

- Micronauts
- NFL Superpro
- Godzilla
- Conan the Barbarian
- Red Sonja

Do the Transformers count?

It blows my mind whenever something from those properties gets used, like when the Godzilla slaying helicarrier showed up in Incredible Herc.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gavok posted:

Off the top of my head:

- Micronauts
- NFL Superpro
- Godzilla
- Conan the Barbarian
- Red Sonja

The Transformers and, by extension, GI Joe. Also, Doc Savage and I think Kull links in to continuity someway.

Oh, there's also the Not Ready for Prime Time Players and David Letterman. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I think Patriot is kind of a 'soft' Can Not Use because it's less effort than sorting through whatever problems exist with the property.