Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
So this morning my GS4 lost signal and never regained it. It saw the towers but wasn't able to connect to any networks.

I call up T-Mo for support and after about 20 minutes the CSR tells me that they just got a notification that a batch of GS4s sold by them had been incorrectly flagged as stolen, and mine was one of them.

Anyone else affected by this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Allaniis posted:

Contact support chat. They can do it for you. I think that link doesn't work for people who are on prepaid.

Thanks I appreciate the info. Now to find the support chat button which appears hidden...

I never thought I'd say this, but Sprint has excellent customer service comparatively.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
A new challenger has appeared!

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/31/us-tmobile-iliad-idUSKBN0G01Z620140731

quote:

French telecoms operator Iliad SA has made a buyout offer for T-Mobile USA Inc, a person familiar with the matter said, countering an offer by Sprint Corp.

Seems unlikely with how small Iliad is, unless they can secure the funding.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
If you are on a Simple Choice family plan with at least 4 lines and are currently paying extra for data, call 611 and ask to be enrolled in the new 2.5 GB promo, which basically gives you 2.5 GB of data for each line for only $10 a month.

On my family plan we were paying $20 a month for 3 lines to get 3 GB of monthly data, and none of us used more than 2 GB a month anyway, so this new plan let us save $30 a month off the top from our monthly bill.

The promo is in effect until January of 2016, after which you'll be down-enrolled to either 1 GB of monthly data, or whatever data cap the $10 monthly fee has.

Shif
Aug 12, 2013
I'm currently active duty military and I'm on one of T-Mobile's grandfathered family plans, which plan exactly, I couldn't tell you but I know I'm getting a sizable discount. I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 and thinking about upgrading to the new LG G3, pending reviews/SA approval.

How much will it put me in the whole if I'm not interesting in starting a JUMP! contract? Have you heard anything terrible about the new phone?

edit: Would now even be a good time to buy?

Shif fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 3, 2014

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
How much are you paying for T-Mobile currently and why don't you want to do the financing/Jump?

Shif
Aug 12, 2013
I'm not sure exactly how much the bill is since I'm not the primary account holder. As to why I wouldn't want the financing/JUMP!: I hate owing money; I prefer to pay in entirety for things I can control (eg. not a car/house).

Browsing a couple reviews, I probably would NOT be interested in the new LG G3 considering it's horrible viewing angle (WTF LG? :bang:). Guess I'll just wait until the next Galaxy makes its way onto shelves.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Shif posted:

I'm not sure exactly how much the bill is since I'm not the primary account holder. As to why I wouldn't want the financing/JUMP!: I hate owing money; I prefer to pay in entirety for things I can control (eg. not a car/house).

Browsing a couple reviews, I probably would NOT be interested in the new LG G3 considering it's horrible viewing angle (WTF LG? :bang:). Guess I'll just wait until the next Galaxy makes its way onto shelves.

The next Galaxy is either the Note in November or the S6 (or whatever) in April. Personally, I would just say now is a good time to buy a Galaxy phone, you would kind of be suffering and waiting for no reason.

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Ask me how I gained back all the weight I lost by eating your pets.
We just did JUMP! and I got an iPhone 5S and my husband got the LG G3. However, I kind of have buyers remorse--I don't really like being on a payment plan.

If I were to outright buy a Google Nexus 5, could I go back to the T-Mobile store and just give back my iPhone? It would knock money off our bill by not having the JUMP! payment.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hip Hoptimus Prime posted:

We just did JUMP! and I got an iPhone 5S and my husband got the LG G3. However, I kind of have buyers remorse--I don't really like being on a payment plan.

If I were to outright buy a Google Nexus 5, could I go back to the T-Mobile store and just give back my iPhone? It would knock money off our bill by not having the JUMP! payment.

Yeah that would be fine. Not sure if T-Mobile has a restock fee, but it would be a savings either way.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If I order a SIM card online and want to port my number, does the port begin at activation or when I order?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

If you put the information in when you order, it'll be when you order. Just order it and don't enter any port information if it asks.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Got it. Thanks. Don't want to be without service for four days or whatever until it gets here.

Shif
Aug 12, 2013

Hip Hoptimus Prime posted:

How do you like the iPhone 5S, and your husband the G3? I'm in the military and a good chunk of my buddies who own an iPhone have broken or cracked screens.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Shif posted:

How do you like the iPhone 5S, and your husband the G3? I'm in the military and a good chunk of my buddies who own an iPhone have broken or cracked screens.

Both iPhone and Android currently have the same screen quality. Neither is really more likely to break or not break than the other.

If you are worried, get a glass screen protector like Bodyguardz.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Does your plan start when you order the Sim online, or when you activate it? And is there usually an activation fee?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sprint is throwing in the towel

quote:

After months of anticipation that Sprint was nearing an agreement to purchase telecom giant T-Mobile, the company is now reportedly giving up such a deal. Citing an unnamed source, The Wall Street Journal reports that Sprint has "abandoned" its pursuit of T-Mobile, suggesting that there would have been too many regulatory issues as part of such a deal. Bloomberg, which also reports that talks between the two companies have ended, adds that Sprint will announce a new chief executive to replace Dan Hesse as soon as tomorrow.

The news comes just hours after a report from Bloomberg claiming that T-Mobile was planning to turn down a $15 billion bid from from Iliad in order to try and get a higher amount from the French telecommunications company. Iliad jumped into the competition to buy T-Mobile just last week with an all-cash bid, potentially throwing a wrench in the tentative agreement between T-Mobile parent company Deutsche Telekom and Sprint. However, The Journal says that this week's end of the merger talks was unrelated.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

:toot:

Two for two so far. Too bad there's no gigantic breakup fee this time, though.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

T-Mobile also poised to become #3 in q3 or q4 the way they are gaining subs and Sprint is losing them.

John Legere? More like John Legit.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I'm heading to Canada for a week in September and would like to have data/text services. It appears that T-Mo offers unlimited data/text where I am going. Is it a problem if I use it for one month and cancel? The prepaid SIM up there is expensive and gives you practically nothing.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I'm heading to Canada for a week in September and would like to have data/text services. It appears that T-Mo offers unlimited data/text where I am going. Is it a problem if I use it for one month and cancel? The prepaid SIM up there is expensive and gives you practically nothing.

This is exactly what my girlfriend is going to do when she goes to Europe in a month. Since there's no contract, there shouldn't be a problem just canceling when you're done using it.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Anyone know if Good for Enterprise will work on T-Mo prepaid? I want to switch to the nerd plan, but we use Good for work e-mail so I gotta be sure.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Does your plan start when you order the Sim online, or when you activate it? And is there usually an activation fee?

Quoting this, does anyone here know?

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!
Billing doesn't begin until you turn the phone on and activate it (with the sim in). No idea on fees. This may or may not end up being the start of your regular billing cycle.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

I don't think I'm getting the 'streaming music not applying to my data cap' service. I use both iHeartRadio and Spotify, which are on the 'won't apply to cap' list, yet it's showing up on my data usage data.

My plan is the Simple Choice Plan: Unlimited Talk + Text, + 5GB of data.

Here's a screenshot of my usage page. What's going on here? Should I be on a different plan? I'm starting to use these quite a bit, since TuneIn isn't supported yet. (Please support TuneIn). Thanks. (Sorry if these show up twice.)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That's data usage as your phone sees it. Your phone doesn't know that those apps don't count and there's no point in it doing that anyway. Log in to T-Mobile and see what they say your data usage is.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Cojawfee posted:

That's data usage as your phone sees it. Your phone doesn't know that those apps don't count and there's no point in it doing that anyway. Log in to T-Mobile and see what they say your data usage is.

Ah, thank you! I'll do that at some point. That clarifies things quite a bit.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
And on that note I can confirm that the nerd plan also works with that data streaming thing.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

That makes the nerd plan a lot more attractive if I ever lose my employee pricing.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy
Now a T-Mobile customer working for AT&T in a store. The irony hasn't quite hit yet.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I work for an indirect that has only smartphones and we had a girl who only used prepaid and refused to get a smartphone because she hated them.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Is it weird that my Nexus 5 appears to get better reception than my 2nd Gen iPad Mini? Specifically when I'm at work both devices will be at 1 bar LTE. Nexus 5 is fine but all data on the iPad will just spin indefinitely without loading. Tethering my iPad to my phone kind of defeats the purpose of having an LTE iPad.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Beefstorm posted:

Now a T-Mobile customer working for AT&T in a store. The irony hasn't quite hit yet.

Don't they give you guys employee plans?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
For anyone curious, Target's Brightspot plans DO count against your data for streaming from iHeartRadio and Spotify. They have pretty good prices but that was a dealbreaker for me and Tmo's coverage kinda really sucks here.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

nerve posted:

And on that note I can confirm that the nerd plan also works with that data streaming thing.

Are you saying that streaming music doesn't count towards bandwidth usage on the nerd plan?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

nerve posted:

How exactly did you confirm it?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

Kreeblah posted:

Don't they give you guys employee plans?

It's probably still more expensive than TMo. SOMEHOW

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

r0ck0 posted:

Are you saying that streaming music doesn't count towards bandwidth usage on the nerd plan?
From select services, yes.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Why isnt google music on the list of free streaming? What a rip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Insane Totoro posted:

It's probably still more expensive than TMo. SOMEHOW

Beef isn't cool enough for working Corp and switched to Indirect. That's part of it (although I think they get decent plans).