Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What's the status of the Dark Horse Star Wars comics vis-a-vis the Marvel/Disney acquisition? Can Marvel reprint those or can they only do the Thomas/Infantino/Simonson/et al stuff they published originally back in the 1970s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
There's Shang Chi's dad, Dr. Fu Manchu, who I don't believe Marvel can use.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Starsnostars posted:

There's Shang Chi's dad, Dr. Fu Manchu, who I don't believe Marvel can use.

Which is, honestly, for the better. Marvel has a terrible enough track record with the Manderin and all their Asian heroes being stereotyped. Having Fu Manchu in a story would be the LoEG/Golliwog stuff all over again. You just can't redeem something like that.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Did the Star Wars Marvel comics ever crossover with 616? It'd be amazing if they pulled that into continuity, but that would never happen these days.

It was so cool how they made such an effort in the 79s and 80s to say ALL Marvel comics happened in the same universe, even licensed books. Spider-Man shows up in like the third issue of Transformers.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

What's the status of the Dark Horse Star Wars comics vis-a-vis the Marvel/Disney acquisition? Can Marvel reprint those or can they only do the Thomas/Infantino/Simonson/et al stuff they published originally back in the 1970s?

Since Dark Horse is losing the license entirely I'm assuming Marvel can print whatever they want. Not that it makes a difference since Dark Horse did publish collected editions of those comics just a few years ago.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
They went on record saying that only the movies, and for whatever reason the Clone Wars TV show, are canon. So the current status of Dark Horse comicbooks: not canon.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

HitTheTargets posted:

They went on record saying that only the movies, and for whatever reason the Clone Wars TV show, are canon. So the current status of Dark Horse comicbooks: not canon.

They said the show was canon because it just happened to be airing at the time, and they get more profit from it then the comics.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

They said the show was canon because it just happened to be airing at the time, and they get more profit from it then the comics.

But they don't get zero profit from the comics; not to deny the profit-driven nature of the industry, and this is probably a naive question with an obvious answer I haven't thought of, but if that was the reason why wouldn't they say everything profitable was canon?

Also I thought Clone Wars had ended by the time of the announcement.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There were some He-Man comics with Superman that I imagine can't be mentioned these days, though DC has more out with messed-up history like that than Marvel does.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Jack Gladney posted:

There were some He-Man comics with Superman that I imagine can't be mentioned these days, though DC has more out with messed-up history like that than Marvel does.

It's not even been a year, has it?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mr. Maltose posted:

It's not even been a year, has it?

It's been like 30 for the ones I'm thinking of. I don't know anything about comics after 1995. I am sorry.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Don't be sorry, it wouldn't take much to convince me DC hosed up licensing that fast.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Idran posted:

But they don't get zero profit from the comics; not to deny the profit-driven nature of the industry, and this is probably a naive question with an obvious answer I haven't thought of, but if that was the reason why wouldn't they say everything profitable was canon?

Also I thought Clone Wars had ended by the time of the announcement.
Very few things can work with a "everything is canon" perspective. WH4K does, but it's explicit about how it's all told from an in universe perspective and so a lot of it can be or is lies or embellishment.

People would rather just put the spotlight on whatever should get the most promotion at the time. Even if The Clone Wars wasn't airing at the time(I'm unclear about that), then it was still very recent and probably has a lot of merch. It'd look weird to practically declare a longrunning TV show that just wrapped up a waste of time, but the comics are much more of a niche audience.

And anyway, I think they said basically "All previous/current EU except for the show is non canon, but going forward all the new EU will be canon".

Also, on another note, the comics are far, far more connected to the rest of the old EU then the show.

See also how Earth 16 was officially declared the Young Justice universe. That's already gone because when you can only have 52 you don't want to waste one on an old show, especially when iconic and universally beloved Elseworlds like Red Son will always have a reserved spot.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Probably nobody at Disney knows what the hell is going on with all that crap so they threw it out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
According to Mike Richardson, Marvel isn't supposed to reprint any Dark Horse Star Wars comics so long as a DH printed collection is still in print. Which might explain why DH quietly started reprinted everything the second Marvel was bought by Disney.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rhyno posted:

According to Mike Richardson, Marvel isn't supposed to reprint any Dark Horse Star Wars comics so long as a DH printed collection is still in print. Which might explain why DH quietly started reprinted everything the second Marvel was bought by Disney.

I have to wonder why anyone agrees to those clauses. They never really seem to work out well for the other side.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this? posted:

I have to wonder why anyone agrees to those clauses. They never really seem to work out well for the other side.

Like I said, according to Mike Richardson. When DC released the Will Eisner Library rights Dark Horse snatched up the rights (to everything but the Spirit) and began releasing new editions immediately despite there being identical DC editions still available Diamond.

Marvel has announced an Omnibus of their original SW comics, I have no doubt they will be releasing collections of the DH stuff in time for the launch of their own SW line.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Jack Gladney posted:

It's been like 30 for the ones I'm thinking of. I don't know anything about comics after 1995. I am sorry.

They did a He-Man/DCU crossover this year. I think some reports among the general apathy is that it was fun.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

muscles like this? posted:

The Watchmen rights were supposed to go to Moore and Gibbons once it was out of print, right? I remember an interview with Moore where he said he'd expected it to be out of print within a few years, because this was before the days that trades were a big deal.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Teenage Fansub posted:

They did a He-Man/DCU crossover this year. I think some reports among the general apathy is that it was fun.

I stopped paying attention to it about halfway through, but it did have two great, ridiculous moments.

One is when Black Alice is giving Skeletor the lay of the land to what Earth is about and talks about the Justice League. She mentions the three teams and Skeletor is pleased to see that the main team doesn't have any magic users. Alice explains Justice League Dark and namedrops the members. Skeletor's all, "Wait, did you say Constantine? JOHN Constantine?! You mean he actually exists?! I thought he was just a legend."

Skeletor is shown to have some kind of mysterious, powerful benefactor that he reluctantly answers to. You think it's Horde Prime, but when Alice asks about him, Skeletor says something about how he's a powerful force that everyone -- even Skeletor -- overlooked and is more destructive and frightening than anyone ever imagined. On the last page of that issue, a demonic Orko appears, pointing out that he's always been laughed at by his so-called friends. "Who's laughing now?"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gavok posted:

I stopped paying attention to it about halfway through, but it did have two great, ridiculous moments.

One is when Black Alice is giving Skeletor the lay of the land to what Earth is about and talks about the Justice League. She mentions the three teams and Skeletor is pleased to see that the main team doesn't have any magic users. Alice explains Justice League Dark and namedrops the members. Skeletor's all, "Wait, did you say Constantine? JOHN Constantine?! You mean he actually exists?! I thought he was just a legend."

Skeletor is shown to have some kind of mysterious, powerful benefactor that he reluctantly answers to. You think it's Horde Prime, but when Alice asks about him, Skeletor says something about how he's a powerful force that everyone -- even Skeletor -- overlooked and is more destructive and frightening than anyone ever imagined. On the last page of that issue, a demonic Orko appears, pointing out that he's always been laughed at by his so-called friends. "Who's laughing now?"

I have to disagree, the Orko reveal was terrible. I really hate everything about the He-Man comics DC has released.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Rhyno posted:

I have to disagree, the Orko reveal was terrible. I really hate everything about the He-Man comics DC has released.

It's great because it's terrible. It's the 90'sest thing from a company who's new modus is to revive the worst of the decade.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr. Maltose posted:

It's great because it's terrible. It's the 90'sest thing from a company who's new modus is to revive the worst of the decade.

"Great because it's terrible" doesn't work as a justification for everyone. Sometimes things are just terrible.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Gavok posted:

Who are characters that Marvel is simply not allowed to use despite being part of its canon continuity?

Off the top of my head:

- Rom: Spaceknight
- Micronauts
- NFL Superpro
- Godzilla
- Charcoal from Thunderbolts
- Conan the Barbarian
- Red Sonja

I seem to recall that Patriot is off limits, but I don't understand why.

Poor Charcoal, the Litigious Man.

I've heard somewhere that the Captain America from the Truth has legal issues holding him back.

Doc Savage, as was pointed out, was a part of Marvel's 1930's. But they don't talk about him anymore.

Prime and the entire Malibu universe are a hot mess of tangled legal rights. Don't expect to see them anytime soon.

Oh despite the recent appearance in X-Force, I think the Strikeforce Moutari guys are also a huge legal quagmire. :quagmire:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Question IRL posted:

Prime and the entire Malibu universe are a hot mess of tangled legal rights. Don't expect to see them anytime soon.

Which sucks because several Malibu founders want to do something with them for Marvel but too many don't. James Hudnall is all hot and ready to do a Hardcase mini and Breyfogle wants another crack at Prime but there's too many holdouts to allow it to happen.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Rhyno posted:

"Great because it's terrible" doesn't work as a justification for everyone. Sometimes things are just terrible.

The Orko thing works for me half out of "Haha, are they really doing this?!" and half out of taking an annoying, little poo poo that I already hated and intentionally making him someone to root against.

It's like Scrappy Doo in the live-action Scooby movie all over again only without the terrible CGI.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gavok posted:

The Orko thing works for me half out of "Haha, are they really doing this?!" and half out of taking an annoying, little poo poo that I already hated and intentionally making him someone to root against.

It's like Scrappy Doo in the live-action Scooby movie all over again only without the terrible CGI.

Ugh, that wasn't "so terrible it was great" either. That was just terrible.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Marvel has announced an Omnibus of their original SW comics, I have no doubt they will be releasing collections of the DH stuff in time for the launch of their own SW line.

I see. I asked becuase a few years back I gave away a lot of my Star Wars trades, and now I've been thinking about checking out some of the little Dark Horse omnibus collections. Thing is, I understand the quality of them isn't great, so I was wondering if Marvel would be able to do anything with the material in the future or not.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Metal Loaf posted:

I see. I asked becuase a few years back I gave away a lot of my Star Wars trades, and now I've been thinking about checking out some of the little Dark Horse omnibus collections. Thing is, I understand the quality of them isn't great, so I was wondering if Marvel would be able to do anything with the material in the future or not.

Look for the original DH collections on the Amazon Marketplace. You might find some of them super cheap.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I used to have a complete set of the trades they did for Republic, which was my favourite. There were a few issues that were never collected, though, including "The Devaronian Version" and the Infinity Gate arc (a pretty surprising omission, since it was the second outing for the Ostrander/Duursema team that set the course for Star Wars comics for close to a decade).

Unmature
May 9, 2008
What's that famous Riddler page where he's lamenting the darker modern age of comics and the lack of fun in costumed japery from? I think he's on some giant letters (forget what they say) and it looks like it's from the 80's. I remember he says at some point, "For god's sake, the Joker's killing people now."

Yup, that's it! It was a camera, not letters. Knew it was a giant something.
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Unmature fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 4, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Unmature posted:

What's that famous Riddler page where he's lamenting the darker modern age of comics and the lack of fun in costumed japery from? I think he's on some giant letters (forget what they say) and it looks like it's from the 80's. I remember he says at some point, "For god's sake, the Joker's killing people now."
Secret Origins Special #1, by Neil Gaiman.

more here

redbackground fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Aug 4, 2014

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That whole issue is pretty good. Well, not really, the Penguin part kinda sucks, they drew him with the most 90s stubble ever and the story's weak, but the Riddler and Two-Face stories are pretty darn good, and the framing device is solid.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

The quality of the DH omnibuses is fine. I've got like 15-20 of them, and the only one I had problems with was one where the glue came off the front cover, but I just glued it back again myself. I'd like it if they were bigger, but the amount of pages you get for that price can't be beat.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

That whole issue is pretty good. Well, not really, the Penguin part kinda sucks, they drew him with the most 90s stubble ever and the story's weak, but the Riddler and Two-Face stories are pretty darn good, and the framing device is solid.

I love the Penguin story, but then I really love Sam Keith.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Is this a decent place to start with Guardians of the Galaxy?
https://www.comixology.co.uk/Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-Vol-1-Legacy/digital-comic/28071

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Yes, yes it is.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sure, but be advised that this is not the team from the movie. Everyone from the movie is in it but there are also a ton of other people. Groot also says stuff besides "I am Groot". If you have the money/wherewithal try to read the Annihilation stuff as well. Also I don't like how that dude draws Rocket.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Going to watch it on Thursday, wanted some background before then, not scared of spending $20-30 if you guys can suggest something I can plough through before then so I can go into the movie a little more than blind? (So far my experience with Guardians of the Galaxy is playing a bit of Rocket Raccoon in Marvel vs Capcom 3).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zoux posted:

Sure, but be advised that this is not the team from the movie. Everyone from the movie is in it but there are also a ton of other people. Groot also says stuff besides "I am Groot". If you have the money/wherewithal try to read the Annihilation stuff as well. Also I don't like how that dude draws Rocket.

I am pretty sure he does only say I am Groot in that as it was in Conquest that he "died" and returned with that trait.