Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

dino. posted:

I really dislike sriracha because it's sickeningly sweet to me. Cholula works pretty great though. It's got a nice flavour to it.

Also here is my favourite hot sauce of all time

this is an excellent post. I feel alone pretty often in my 'eh'-ness towards sriracha. I think the sweetness is what bothers me also. And that it dominates the flavor of everything it touches. but goddamn if it isn't good on eggs.

that said, thai chilies are the best. no beating them.

Sjurygg posted:

:kimchi:

Do you also just nibble on them when you can't be arsed to bring out a knife and a chopping board? :shobon: So good. I'm hooked to just mixing them finely sliced with a little fish sauce and nothing else, but all that salt...

:glomp: yeah most def. my girl thinks I'm crazy. my favorite sauce in the world is probably an intense nuoc cham though, which I learned to make at my first restaurant job. just thai chili, heavy on fish sauce, a squeeze of lime, mash a garlic, and a bit of sugar. I put that poo poo on everything. roasted veg, fried food dipping sauce, salad dressing, you name it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Everybody here is just as dead as you.

BLARGHLE posted:

That is a weird rear end looking pepper

It looks like satan's colon polyp.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

El Marrow posted:

Made from the HP22-B Carolina Reaper, currently the hottest pepper in the world. It's loving amazing and produces a very real endorphin rush.

Also, the Carolina Reaper looks like this:

Scorpion is already out?

Does this pepper taste sweetish like the scorpion or is it smokey like the ghost?

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Mr. Wookums posted:

Scorpion is already out?

Does this pepper taste sweetish like the scorpion or is it smokey like the ghost?

It's definitely sweet. It's a really thick sweetness, too. Sort of like fruit as opposed to the singularly simple sweetness of honey. Also, the interior of the pepper is quite oily.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I don't understand how people taste anything other than heat when eating super hot peppers. Maybe my taste buds just suck.

ookuwagata
Aug 26, 2007

I love you this much!
All they need to do now is cross that pepper with the peter pepper, and they will have the most unappetizing looking pepper ever.

Has anyone ever tried making their own sauce by fermenting fresh peppers? I am waiting for the farmers markets to stock fresh habaneros, but I have no idea what to use as a starter culture. (Kefir grains? Kimchi juice?)

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Wow, that's one uncannily phallic fruit (the peter pepper, of course).

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

kaujot posted:

I don't understand how people taste anything other than heat when eating super hot peppers. Maybe my taste buds just suck.

The heat isn't really a flavor. If you're used to it, it isn't as distracting. You eventually get to the point where your brain associates heat with the endorphin rush it creates, and you'll start salivating just thinking about the smell and taste of hot peppers.

Edit: I know I'm eating well when my scalp starts to sweat.

litany of gulps fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 25, 2014

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

litany of gulps posted:

Edit: I know I'm eating well when my scalp starts to sweat.

This chicken wing place I go to, the #5 wings make sweat bead up so bad on my head it's not funny. My shirt will be soaked, my nose will be running like crazy, when I go to the bathroom and wash up the waitress will always ask "Is he okay?"

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

litany of gulps posted:

You eventually get to the point where your brain associates heat with the endorphin rush it creates, and you'll start salivating just thinking about the smell and taste of hot peppers.

Once I've committed to grabbing some chips and hot sauce to snack on, my mouth is watering before I even get to the fridge to grab the bottles.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

kaujot posted:

There's a right and wrong way to use just about anything. You might try adding a superhot sauce to something like a soup, where it will become highly diluted. Just increase the dosage each time, and before long, you'll be taking 1mil scoville+ dosages like a champ.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Bob Morales posted:

This chicken wing place I go to, the #5 wings make sweat bead up so bad on my head it's not funny. My shirt will be soaked, my nose will be running like crazy, when I go to the bathroom and wash up the waitress will always ask "Is he okay?"

'Sup, fellow disturbingly-sweaty goonbro.

Partially inspired by this thread, I've been going through my pile of hot sauces recently to see what I like best. (My testing method is to put it on BBQ chicken pizza - I like BBQ pizza but it tends to be a bit too sweet, so adding some burn makes it perfect.) Both Chipotle Cholula and Chipotle Tabasco have always been favorites of mine, and they still are.

But last night I finally opened up this, which has been sitting in my cabinet since a trip to Asheville, NC last year. Unlike the other habanero sauces I have, it's very thin and vinegary (but I like vinegary sauces) and I didn't realize the bottle mouth doesn't have any restriction - when I upturned it over my pizza slice half the drat bottle poured out onto it. I was sweating like a motherfucker, but it was a drat GOOD slice of pizza.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

If you've never tried Trinidad Scorpion peppers, you owe it to yourself.

It's incredible.

I'm not really the biggest fan of Dave's Gourmet though. They tend to use a lot of extracts, which to me feels like cheating. I'd much rather enjoy the natural heat and flavor of the peppers themselves, instead of a blisteringly hot, manufactured heat.

El Marrow fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 28, 2014

Shut Up Spanish
Nov 6, 2010

ookuwagata posted:

Has anyone ever tried making their own sauce by fermenting fresh peppers? I am waiting for the farmers markets to stock fresh habaneros, but I have no idea what to use as a starter culture. (Kefir grains? Kimchi juice?)

I haven't personally but my brother did a couple of years back and as far as I know he didn't need to add anything much to start the fermentation other than salt - I know he followed an online recipe that claimed to use the same method as Tabasco do so maybe search for that? If you like I'll ask him about it when I see him next (I do remember him saying it was much easier than he thought it'd be)

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

Annath posted:

Is Cholua any cheaper if bought in bulk? I ask because it's my favorite sauce, but at $5 or so for a small bottle, it's absurdly expensive.

Last time I bought cholula I saw a 2-pack of 12 oz bottles for around $8/9 dollars at Costco if I remember correctly. Not sure if it's still there, though it's worth a shot. I am through my first gently caress-off bottle of cholula and on to the second. I use it mostly on fried eggs and popcorn (hey, I'm a weirdo).

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Melinda's Naga Jolokia

It's brilliantly flavorful, and made completely without extracts. It's not the hottest thing in the world (compared to other sauces made with superhots), but what it lacks in obscene heat, it makes up for with vibrant jolokia flavor.

(Not trying to turn the thread into a [super]hot sauce discussion. They're just my forte)

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I learned to like the super sauces by constantly chasing a dragon for endorphin highs. I have a slight problem with it now, I will seek out spicy foods or foods I can sauce up if I go a few days without any. For reference, I can smother something with half a bottle of habanero sauce and be unphased (given habaneros are quite weak and will overpower the food) Sauces with extract really really suck, they taste like lovely oil.

El Marrow posted:

Melinda's Naga Jolokia

It's brilliantly flavorful, and made completely without extracts. It's not the hottest thing in the world (compared to other sauces made with superhots), but what it lacks in obscene heat, it makes up for with vibrant jolokia flavor.

(Not trying to turn the thread into a [super]hot sauce discussion. They're just my forte)
I'm a fan of Tropical Pepper Co's Ghost Pepper sauce as my day to day, a drop a bite is enough to get little bit of a burn to satisfy myself while still being able to taste the food.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Mr. Wookums posted:

I learned to like the super sauces by constantly chasing a dragon for endorphin highs. I have a slight problem with it now, I will seek out spicy foods or foods I can sauce up if I go a few days without any. For reference, I can smother something with half a bottle of habanero sauce and be unphased (given habaneros are quite weak and will overpower the food) Sauces with extract really really suck, they taste like lovely oil.

I'm a fan of Tropical Pepper Co's Ghost Pepper sauce as my day to day, a drop a bite is enough to get little bit of a burn to satisfy myself while still being able to taste the food.

You know you're bad off when you start viewing certain foods as platforms for an endorphin rush. I love it.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Not exactly hot sauce related but I have been growing some habaneros and Scotch Bonnets in my garden and they have been approaching ripeness. I have discovered that eating habaneros right off the plant are quite tasty. I need to figure out how to make sauce or pickle them or something.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I have a bunch ripening right now too. I don't have the balls to try popping one right into my mouth though.

If you find a good sauce recipe, please post it.

James Peach
Dec 30, 2008
Put me in the ripening habaneros camp. As for recipes, searching for "hot sauce" in the GWS wiki gets these three recipes if you want to try them out.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
Huy Fong has another product that is far more versatile and superior to sriracha.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Al Cowens posted:

Huy Fong has another product that is far more versatile and superior to sriracha.

uhhh.... Isn't THAT sriracha?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Crazyeyes posted:

That my friend is Sambal Oelek. It's chilli paste with garlic and pretty much nothing else. It is amazing. I use it for putting heat into any type of cuisine in which red chillies are appropriate.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Crazyeyes posted:

Edit: Beaten

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Crazyeyes posted:

Not exactly hot sauce related but I have been growing some habaneros and Scotch Bonnets in my garden and they have been approaching ripeness. I have discovered that eating habaneros right off the plant are quite tasty. I need to figure out how to make sauce or pickle them or something.

Oh man. Scotch Bonnets are fantastic. Whole slices cooked into Jamaican curry...

I just ordered a few superhot sauces. Will post pics when they arrive.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I made my own sauce from home grown Thai chillies and habaneros.

Chopped them up fresh with just a little onion and garlic, put them in the food processor until they liquefied, and put them in a jar in the fridge with plenty of vinegar and some salt.

Left em there for 2 months, strained them, bottled it, and it wasn't half bad. Pretty drat good considering I didn't follow a recipe and just used poo poo I already had.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

CommonShore posted:

That my friend is Sambal Oelek. It's chilli paste with garlic and pretty much nothing else. It is amazing. I use it for putting heat into any type of cuisine in which red chillies are appropriate.

There is a not insignificant chance that I have never eaten actual sriracha then. My stuff has always been green cap garlic chili sauce.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Crazyeyes posted:

There is a not insignificant chance that I have never eaten actual sriracha then. My stuff has always been green cap garlic chili sauce.

Sriracha is a squirty sauce. There's a pretty high chance that you've had it in some asian restaurant. Lots of cheap sushi ("spicy tuna") has it on it.

I have a bottle, but I find it pretty overrated. There's an oaky or smoky bitter aftertaste in it that I don't like so much (even though I like tabasco, which is oak-aged). I'll put it on hard-boiled eggs and that's about it. The sambal is superior.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

CommonShore posted:

Not quite. Sambal Oelek is basically chile, preservatives, and nothing else. No garlic, unlike the Chili Garlic product in the photo.

As far as the three Huy Fong products are concerned, they're all made from the same base chili mash. You can think of the Chili Garlic as Sambal Oelek + Garlic, and of Sriracha as Chili Garlic + Sugar (blended to a paste with xanthan gum as an emulsifier).

Ingredients posted:

Sambal Oelek
Chili, Salt, Distilled Vinegar, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Bisulfite

Chili Garlic
Chili, Garlic, Salt, Distilled Vinegar, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Bisulfite

Sriracha
Chili, Sugar, Garlic, Salt, Distilled Vinegar, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Bisulfite, and Xanthan Gum

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
The lack of sugar and the chunkiness of the chile garlic makes all the difference in the world

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Seriously. That sugar in there makes the drat thing taste awful. I really don't want sugar in my garlic sauce.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Got pale orange habaneros from farmers market seed, bigger red habaneros, brown jamaican chocolate pepper, red ghost, yellow ghost, "big thai hybrids," and proper upward growing thai chiles. Should I do individual sauces or mix them all together? Thinking just garlic and white wine vinegar, in the past with onion and other stuff the texture was too thick and I had to strain.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

If anyone here hasn't tried malagueta sauce, you owe it to yourself to find a bottle.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
The title of worlds hottest pepper really means nothing. Peppers can vary from crop to crop. You get a good plant, pay the judges an appearance fee, and blammo you get the title. It doesn't mean other peppers can't be, on.average, hotter. Just go with the superhot with the taste you like.

I make my own hot sauce using homegrown tomatoes and scorpion marugas. But I've been thinking of switching to guost peppers. They take twice as long to grow, but they have peach and chocolate varieties. Does anyons have experience with peach or chocolate bhut jolokia?

rigeek
Jun 12, 2006
Wife came home with this today:

She's a buyer for a food distributor, and her vendor sent her this. This is after she gave some away at work.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Kafka Esq. posted:

Mcilhenny Habanero Tabasco Sauce. I swear to God, I could have this on everything. I bought a 24.

ThomasPaine posted:

I genuinely like Tabasco's habanero sauce, am I a joke?
No way, the Habanero Tabasco is the best Tabasco variety out there--even better than the Chipotle variety that everyone seems to rave about. It's my number one go-to.

To add to the discussion: How do you all feel about refrigeration? Do you store your sauces cooled or at room temperature?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Pioneer42 posted:

No way, the Habanero Tabasco is the best Tabasco variety out there--even better than the Chipotle variety that everyone seems to rave about. It's my number one go-to.

To add to the discussion: How do you all feel about refrigeration? Do you store your sauces cooled or at room temperature?

I personally refrigerate all my hot sauces but that's because I prefer that lower temperature on my palate (a cold hot sauce if you will), not because I'm afraid they'd spoil.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

The Melinda's Moruga Scorpion sauce is simply amazing. No extracts. No bullshit. Just the essentials. It's probably the purest superhot sauce I've tried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
I refrigerate. After time hot sauces kind of lose their vibrant color(tabasco gets all dull and muddy looking) and begin to taste mostly of the vinegar. I can only imagine refrigerating slows that process.