Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

flashy_mcflash posted:

I want a sitcom, but not with any character WWE thinks is 'funny'. Give me Ryback and Bull Dempsey as cousins who work in a candy factory.

I want Santino and Kozlov in a line for line remake of The Dick van Dyke Show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Actually Sportsgenius89's is better

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

RacistGuidingLight posted:

Actually Sportsgenius89's is better

Agreed. Wanna see that Dance of Joy (but with Ryback and Bull Dempsey)

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

flashy_mcflash posted:

I feel the exact opposite. There are enough hours of wrestling already on free TV, much less the Network. They need to develop the characters and personalities on TV a lot more so I can invest in the good, long matches I'm already getting. Whether this is 'reality nonsense' or some other kind of feature on specific wrestlers, I'd prefer that.

If its wrestler documentaries like the DVDs, or Countdown, or stuff like Legends Roundtables cool, I just have no interest in Total Divas or Legends House or anything of that particular ilk.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

WWE should shy away from reality TV as much as possible.

I've watched one episode of total divas so far and this is my takeaway:
-Brie is a drunk
-Cameron has horrific taste in men. Who dates a dude named Manny?
-John Cena silently broods while doing anything
-Daniel Bryan wants a good night's rest, dammit
-Nikki is shallow
-everyone but DB and Cena operate on a 17 year old's mentality.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

coconono posted:

His name is Vinny and he owns a whole lot

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

coconono posted:

-Brie is a drunk
-Nikki is shallow

Yeah. I agree they don't need any more new wrestling but the last thing I want is more "reality" shows when the last one apparently ended with everyone being shocked by the stunning revelation that Pat Patterson is gay. The Warrior and Bryan docs they made after Mania were pretty good though and I wouldn't mind seeing more along those lines as far as original prgrammign is concerned.

Really, the main thing that would interest me beyond better archives would be a full length version of the YouTube show about the warehouse.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

There are rumours going around that the Network in the UK is going to be a subscription channel on Sky like they're doing in Canada, which is probably the only way they can do it and keep the PPVs on but also restricts the Network to people with Sky Sports. They're launching in a metric fuckton of countries on August 12th but the UK isn't on the list, also they're referring to the Rogers thing in Canada as a "preview".

"Rogers will offer this WWE Network content preview subscription to all cable, satellite and IPTV providers across Canada."

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

They should do a show like Restaurant Impossible where Rybaxel come to your restaurant, call it stupid, eat all the food for free, and leave. You are not helped in any way by this.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

coconono posted:

-Brie is a drunk
-Nikki is shallow

On the other hand, WWE actually managed to sell Total Divas to a real channel and it's done pretty well ratings-wise.

Also Total Divas owns, keep watching and learn to love the Usos and John Cena. And Vinny.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Blasmeister posted:

On the other hand, WWE actually managed to sell Total Divas to a real channel and it's done pretty well ratings-wise.

Also Total Divas owns, keep watching and learn to love the Usos and John Cena. And Vinny.

Vinny kinda struck me as a gets too drunk and hits people kinda dude.

Also there may be some B-roll footage from of Nikki and Daniel Bryan gettin it on.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

They should do more out-there segments and midcard storylines on Smackdown, a two hour wrestling show that has no right to exist in its current state, or replace it with a Total Divas block

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
They have so many legends working as agents, I wish they would get Renee Young to do an hour long shoot interview with them backstage before Raw or Smackdown. Give Renee and the agent a thousand dollar bonus, get a camera guy and do it raw without all the glitz/heavy production.

At best, you have some new material to run late night. At worse, you have something that can be chopped up into bumpers or interview segments on future productions.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

coconono posted:

Vinny kinda struck me as a gets too drunk and hits people kinda dude.

Also there may be some B-roll footage from of Nikki and Daniel Bryan gettin it on.

Are you suggesting a little twin magic?

Also, Vinny owns.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Vinny is awesome, Brie mode is awesome, Total Divas is the best show

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

coconono posted:

-Brie is a drunk
-Nikki is shallow

Congrats on being a dumb mark and falling for kayfabe 2.0. If you don't think this show is worked as hell check out Eva Marie's face turn in season 2. Also:

triplexpac posted:

Vinny is awesome, Brie mode is awesome, Total Divas is the best show

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Thauros posted:

Yeah. I agree they don't need any more new wrestling but the last thing I want is more "reality" shows when the last one apparently ended with everyone being shocked by the stunning revelation that Pat Patterson is gay.

There's a difference between knowing someone was, and them coming out and saying it, especially on what was to be national television, as the show was filmed long before the network was a thing.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Congrats on being a dumb mark and falling for kayfabe 2.0. If you don't think this show is worked as hell check out Eva Marie's face turn in season 2. Also:

This but for literally every reality show that exists, yes, even contest shows.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Shima Honnou posted:

As someone that worked for the Jerry Springer show for a short period of time, I can tell you that like half of the people on the show are real people.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I may just be dumb, but where in the menu do you find the Monday Night Wars show?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Capsaicin posted:

I may just be dumb, but where in the menu do you find the Monday Night Wars show?

It's not there yet

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Capsaicin posted:

The section marked "Canceled due to budget cuts"

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Hopefully with the money they're getting from Rodgers they'll produce some new shows. I'm sure Rodgers isn't paying them millions a year just to show mid 90s Raws.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Shima Honnou posted:

Contest shows can't be worked in their results. There's a series of strictly-enforced laws about it after the quiz show scandals of the 50s. When I was on the Newlywed game, the lawyer talked to us about it for about an hour before we shot the show.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

LividLiquid posted:

Contest shows can't be worked in their results. There's a series of strictly-enforced laws about it after the quiz show scandals of the 50s. When I was on the Newlywed game, the lawyer talked to us about it for about an hour before we shot the show.

I'm talking stuff like Survivor and various other "We live together but there's a prize at the end" stuff, in which a lot of the in-house stuff (Most producers call those "reality segments" while working with the talent in talking head sections or coaching) is worked.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 2, 2014

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

njsykora posted:

There are rumours going around that the Network in the UK is going to be a subscription channel on Sky like they're doing in Canada, which is probably the only way they can do it and keep the PPVs on but also restricts the Network to people with Sky Sports. They're launching in a metric fuckton of countries on August 12th but the UK isn't on the list, also they're referring to the Rogers thing in Canada as a "preview".

"Rogers will offer this WWE Network content preview subscription to all cable, satellite and IPTV providers across Canada."

IF they allow people to purchase it separately from the existing Sky Sports packages as well as in a bundle, it still could be worth doing. I figured this was likely, considering Sky are trying to position themselves not just as a TV/ISP company, but they're trying to push into the VOD market as well, pitching their NowTV service as an alternative to Netflix and Amazon (which is very, very dumb, considering the TV content on NowTV is pitiful compared to Prime and Netflix. All they really have going for them is up to date HBO stuff, which they only put up while the new season airs, thus missing the point of bingewatching as a means to grow the audience. Seriously, no one's going to watch 7 seasons of True Blood in a month, Sky.)

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Oh, absolutely that stuff. I misunderstood.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

projecthalaxy posted:

They should do a show like Restaurant Impossible where Rybaxel come to your restaurant, call it stupid, eat all the food for free, and leave. You are not helped in any way by this.

I would absolutely watch this.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

LividLiquid posted:

Oh, absolutely that stuff. I misunderstood.

It's funny, the talking head parts are usually recorded long (Like, half a year long, in the case of one show I've worked on) after the reality and contest segments, so most of the time the contestants don't really give a poo poo about being enthusiastic or sometimes even remember the details so the producer has to try to pump them up and keep them talking in present tense.

skaboomizzy posted:

I would absolutely watch this.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Shima Honnou posted:

I'm talking stuff like Survivor and various other "We live together but there's a prize at the end" stuff, in which a lot of the in-house stuff (Most producers call those "reality segments" while working with the talent in talking head sections or coaching) is worked.

Yeah but that's more running a storyline for the viewers rather than influencing the outcome of the game. Hell if a contestant was told by production to throw an immunity challenge on Survivor all it takes is one phone call to TMZ and everything goes to poo poo. I remember an interview with Ken Jennings where he said Alex Trebek isn't even allowed in the same room as Jeopardy contestants when not filming in case he let's an answer slip.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Looks like they are accelerating the rate '95 Raws are being put on the Network. They put up 4 today. Perhaps to line up with the debut of WCW Nitro and the Monday Night War?

They are now up to the end of July '95. The next one they put up will be for August '95. That would put it as 4 more episodes until Nitro. Perhaps the week of Summerslam?

Daniel Bryan fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 2, 2014

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Daniel Bryan posted:

Looks like they are accelerating the rate '95 Raws are being put on the Network. They put up 4 today. Perhaps to line up with the debut of WCW Nitro and the Monday Night War?

They are now up to the end of July '95. The next one they put up will be for August '95. That would put it as 4 more episodes until Nitro. Perhaps the week of Summerslam?

This was my favorite time period of Raw. Waylon Mercy and Dr. Issac Yankem. "Lives are gonna be... in Waylon Mercy's hands."

"...you know what I mean?"

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

Just a random question. Has anyone watched Over the Edge 99 yet? I can't really bring myself to watch it knowing what happened, even though it's edited. Should they really have included it?

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

MrDru posted:

Just a random question. Has anyone watched Over the Edge 99 yet? I can't really bring myself to watch it knowing what happened, even though it's edited. Should they really have included it?

There's a little graphic for Owen in the beginning, but other than that, its edited pretty well to eliminate anything Owen related.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
Hire Russo and give him an hour a week to do whatever he wants. Gets people talking without fluahing your actual moneymaking shows down the shitter.

That's a bad idea, but with so little original or documentary content I'll take what I can get.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Here is why I love the network.

An old friend from out of town came over last night, and we cracked some beers and watched 2 Royal Rumbles (only the rumble), most of Wrestlemania 10, some random MSG matches, and some other stuff.

Got my 9.99 worth right there. It was weird watching Wrestlemania 10 and almost every participant was dead. We started at Bam Bam and Luna vs Doink and Dink (3 out of 4 confirmed dead..Dink?), then Crush vs Savage (dead and dead), then Men on Mission vs Quebecers (only Mabel was dead), Lex Luger vs Yokozuna (we though both dead, but I just googled apparently Lex is alive?), Earthquake vs Adam Bomb (Earthquake dead), Razor Ramon vs Shawn Michaels (somehow both alive), Bret Hard vs Yokozuna (1 dead)

That is 8 guys dead who were professional athletes 20 years ago. Incredible

Oh and this guy has not watched wrestling in 10 years and is seriously considering buying the network.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

WeaselWeaz posted:

Hire Russo and give him an hour a week to do whatever he wants. Gets people talking without fluahing your actual moneymaking shows down the shitter.

That's a bad idea, but with so little original or documentary content I'll take what I can get.

Vince Russo is sent around to help fix failing businesses and then is sat down and interviewed on why he thought blow up dolls were appropriate.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Gonzo McFee posted:

Vince Russo is sent around to help fix failing businesses and then is sat down and interviewed on why he thought blow up dolls were appropriate.

I'd watch the gently caress out of it.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Ribsauce posted:

Here is why I love the network.

An old friend from out of town came over last night, and we cracked some beers and watched 2 Royal Rumbles (only the rumble), most of Wrestlemania 10, some random MSG matches, and some other stuff.

Got my 9.99 worth right there. It was weird watching Wrestlemania 10 and almost every participant was dead. We started at Bam Bam and Luna vs Doink and Dink (3 out of 4 confirmed dead..Dink?), then Crush vs Savage (dead and dead), then Men on Mission vs Quebecers (only Mabel was dead), Lex Luger vs Yokozuna (we though both dead, but I just googled apparently Lex is alive?), Earthquake vs Adam Bomb (Earthquake dead), Razor Ramon vs Shawn Michaels (somehow both alive), Bret Hard vs Yokozuna (1 dead)

That is 8 guys dead who were professional athletes 20 years ago. Incredible

Oh and this guy has not watched wrestling in 10 years and is seriously considering buying the network.

Did this last night and got two people interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Gonzo McFee posted:

Russo for You.