Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Toddy told me to make him update the thread but he's fighting against me. I'm trying my hardest guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

toddy. posted:

Please vote for Gurumin on Steam Greenlight!

Another fantastic Falcom title is making its way to Steam thanks to the folks at Mastiff. Please support the makers of great games such as the Ys series and Legend of Heroes, and even get free copies of the game from the publishers! Details are on the greenlight page.

If you don't, beatings are in order.

---

Ys IV updates may be coming soon. I may have made the mistake of reactivating my FFXIV subscription so temporal distortion around my computer may come into effect - no promises!

That offer's kinda nuts. They must be counting on expanded sales and a lot of people not following through on it(like me).

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Discendo Vox posted:

That offer's kinda nuts. They must be counting on expanded sales and a lot of people not following through on it(like me).

I think it depends on how many sales they expect to make; at the moment they have to give out around 24,000 free copies, assuming the game gets greenlit soon from all the people voting yes I'd expect a max of around 60,000 copies which is huge if they expect to sell a hundred thousand copies and nothing if they expect to sell a million.

The game also looks pretty low-budget too, simple (but rather nice) graphics and soforth, so they probably don't need to sell too many copies to break even. If so then it's actually a really clever offer since it'll get them lots of immediate attention which means they're likely to get greenlit sooner and it gives them a sizable user base right out of the gate who can help spread it to their friends.

If they've run the numbers then they know that games on Steam continue to sell and make money very consistantly for many years as they float through the sales with each drop in price picking up another wave of customers who were unwilling to buy it at a higher price but are now willing to do so because X dollars is below their 'cheapness threshold'.

We shall see how it goes.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Another thing is that if what I heard is correct, after you get a game greenlighted it's much easier to get more of your (possibly better quality) games into Steam. This might not be true though.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Knowing how Valve operates I actually doubt there are any hard rules for getting greenlit; Valve likes to play things a bit loose which is why the only really guaranteed way to get your game greenlit is to get lots of attention as that increases the liklihood one of the Valve guys will notice it in the first place. If lots of people vote yes on a thing then that also implies it has lots of people who want to spend money on it which of course makes Valve more likely to greenlight it.

I suspect getting your first game greenlit does indeed increase the odds of getting further games greenlit; but that's probably only because now there is someone at Valve who knows you exist.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jul 20, 2014

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Gurumin gets announced for PC.
Trails FC gets an official Steam release date.
I updated.
What more could you want?

This one goes out for our fallen comrade, <REDACTED>, who fought valiantly for the mother country but after the dust of war had settled he was nowhere to be found.

toddy. fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jul 24, 2014

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Where is Dogi the wallcrusher when you need him am I right???

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's kind of weird that you're spamming magic all over the place but your MP isn't touched. Is that just ring power?

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
If I remember right, 4 or 5 fireballs is 1MP which is ridiculously cheap. The only concern where running out of MP is real is if you warp a lot, use alter form a lot or some more costly spells we'll get a bit later. Also you burn through a lot of MP in boss fights just because you use a lot of offensive magic.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Everything is on fire! Everything is on fire! Everything is on fire!

poo poo's about to get real. Get ready for endgame!

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
This motherfucker's Dio Brando. Except with wings.

It all makes sense now.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well that was quite metal.
I honestly expected it to be quite straightforward; I really wasnt expecting the betrayal.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
A couple people asked me to collate the chronicle cutscenes in the game into one video for reference so here ya go!

Click the banner above to see the video!

I also pulled the narrator's script as it's read verbatim from Deuce's patch notes:

Chronicle of Darkness

In the distant past, a nation was founded on a small continent in the great Duarl Sea. Its name was 'Eldeen.' It was a land of beings with mighty wings. Eldeen held a power source greater than Heaven:
Under the divine protection of the 'Mask of the Sun,' it flourished for 1000 years and seven months. However, a great cataclysm was visited on the land, and in the course of one night, it sank beneath the sea. None live now who know why it happened.

Southern Europa, off the coast of Celceta. The few Eldeenian survivors escaped to this area by using the power of the Mask of the Sun. With the skills and devices of Eldeen, the undeveloped land of Celceta grew into the continent's most productive farmland.

However, those folk who prospered so grew corrupt and greedy. The land was split into two bitterly warring factions. The war-torn Celceta was conquered, with schemes and trickery, by a man known as the 'Lord of Slaughter.' That man was Arem. And thus, Celceta was plunged into a dark age.

Chronicle of Light

In the early days of the King of Slaughter, Arem, the land was in ruin along with its people. It was a dark age, when power replaced justice. All of the people lived in constant fear. But one day, fate brought a hero to stand against Arem; that man was Lefance. He, along with his fellows, fought under the flag of fellowship and justice, and thus overthrew Arem.

Slano, the military warrior without peer.
Talim, the mystic, unsurpassed in the world.
Miyu, the Earth wizard.
Rady, the wise and learned diplomat.
Torie, sorcerer of Light.

They would later be called the Five Disciples, and fought alongside Lefance against Arem's forces. At the end of the bloody battle, Lefance had defeated Arem. The ruined earth again knew the light of hope.

With the overwhelming support of the people, Lefance founded the Selcetan Dynasty, with himself as ruler. The newly crowned king took a ferry to Eldeen, land of the Winged Ones, where he was given the source of greatest power: the Mask of the Sun. King Lefance used that power to build a great citadel overnight, and the mask was enshrined at its center, in the Temple of the Sun. Then, to help control the power of the mask, a twin was fashioned: the Mask of the Moon. The Selcetan Dynasty, with the blessings of the two masks, saw unprecedented prosperity. With humans and Winged Ones working in peace and brotherhood, a golden age began.

Chronicle of Hope

After their deaths, the Mask of the Sun's power was passed down to Lefance and the Five Disciples' descendants. Several hundred years passed. Eventually, the peaceful times of Selceta came to an end.
The dark sorcerer, Sieg Fact, made his appearance. Sieg borrowed the military strength of the mighty Romun Empire and began his invasion, seeking the Mask of the Sun. It was believed that Lefance's fortress city would be able to withstand any assault. But then, tragedy struck.

The Mask of the Sun's only controlling influence, the Mask of the Moon, fell into Sieg Fact's hands. Sieg used the Mask of the Moon to subvert the Mask of the Sun's power to evil purposes. Because of this, the Mask of the Sun became unstable, and eventually a great crisis befell Selceta. Earthquakes, famine, pestilence and demons appeared....

At their wits' end, the descendants of the Five Disciples used the last of their strength. In order to seal away the power of the rampaging Mask of the Sun, the entire city was sunken deep into the earth. In time, the entire area was covered with forest. The ground of Selceta was swallowed by the dense sea of trees. There now remains no evidence that it ever existed at all.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Thanks, I wasn't invested enough to actually ask for it, but seeing them all together does make the plot a little easier to follow.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Deeps joins me for this episode. I die a whole bunch.

Probably two videos left after this one.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Oh god what have I done.

This episode is two mini-dungeons to open the seal to the Temple of the Sun and retrieve the Cleria Sword. There's not much complicated stuff going on so I got in some mumble pals to do commentary and well...
I'm sorry.

Next episode should be the last one. We can bury this mess of a thread and pretend nothing happened.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

I've been watching this LP recently. Having never played an Ys game or really knowing what they were at all about this LP has been pretty interesting to me. I thought they were more story-light zelda-ish dungeon crawlers with brawling combat for whatever reason.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
This is I think one of my favorite guesting sessions ever out of anything I've ever done.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
It's over!

Now that Lefance has bestowed the El Duran magic upon Adol we can finally approach the Shrine of the Sun and face the newly revived Arem, the Lord of Slaughter.
Thanks for watching, I have one more bonus video to add then I'll be taking a break to get myself in check with University work. Next game up on the plate should be Ys Origin so look forward to my unending torment that.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Great LP, toddy!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Dont apologize for the Mumble episode.
I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Great Ys LP as always.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I enjoyed this LP throughout, even if it was something of train wreck at times. It was honestly a lot of fun, thanks.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Thanks for showing this off, probably wouldn't have played it myself.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow, yeah, after everything you've gone through, that final form of the final boss is rather... underwhelming?

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
Thanks for the LP, your pervious Y's LP's were the reason I got into the series and I been enjoying them ever since.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
Whoa, just caught up on the explosion of updates in the last month.

The guy with mustache sounds just like Betty from Kung Pow.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Click the banner for the video!

Potions and what they do:

Red Potion: Makes you flash red a whole bunch. Not really sure if it does much else. Made by mixing Yolm Root and Rehva Hide.
Blue Potion: Temporarily halves your strength. Don't drink that. Made by mixing Yolm Root and Hihof Leaf.
White Potion: Temporarily halves your strength and defense. Don't drink that. Made by mixing Batu Ash and Hihof Leaf.
Clear Potion: Makes you invisible. Made by mixing Yolm Root and Batu Ash.
Black Potion: Explodes! Made by mixing Kibie Dust and anything.
Yellow Potion: Sets your HP to 400 but not your Max HP so the health is only temporary. Made by mixing Hihof Leaf and Rehva Hide.
Green Potion: Sets your MP to 200 but not your Max MP so the health is only temporary. Made by mixing Batu Ash and Rehva Hide.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It is interesting to read all these hopeful and often exhausted comment by people who... well, where are they now, anyway?

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
I sent the thread off to baldurk for archives, now we wait until I stop being a piece of poo poo and start recording my next LP.
Stay tuned for

Seedy Wizard
Feb 17, 2011

who wants a
body massage

toddy. posted:

I sent the thread off to baldurk for archives, now we wait until I stop being a piece of poo poo and start recording my next LP.
Stay tuned for

You stupid bitch

mauve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
The Ys Origin LP thread is up! I'll lock this thread once it's up on LPArchive.

• Locked thread