Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Getsuya posted:

So after buying all the non-OG GBA SRWs last night I decided to go chronologically through them (not in one sitting obviously but over time), so I started with A. I figure that way I won't miss quality of life upgrades from later titles if I tried going from newer to older.

At first I got frustrated with how hard it is to accurately shoot down named guys that run away under a certain HP%, but then I came to two startling conclusions. The first is that this entire game is based around co-op attacks and so I should just always make sure everyone's together in a big clump so they can combo off of each other for days. The second is that Great Mazinger is broken as hell and always seems to do 2x or 3x the damage listed on its attacks. What? The enemy runs away when it hits lower than 5000 HP? Good thing Great Mazinger can smack them for 6500-ish by himself despite this being the second level of the game.

Make sure to look at the various modifiers. There are terrain rankings, for example, and morale modifies damage, and many units have special passive boosts which grant power. The Mazingers often have a "Mazinpower" ability which gives them a significant damage boost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
There's also size modifiers to take into account (if those even work in this game, I'm never sure if they do). Great Mazinger might be bigger than whatever it's hitting. I'm not sure since I always take the real route for some reason when I start a new game of A.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Hokuto posted:

I'm not sure since I always take the real route for some reason when I start a new game of A.

Did you know that A, R, D, and J still have debug menus in the game that can be accessed with cheat codes?

If you start a new file of A through debug mode, it will automatically give you Axel and the Soulgain, except you'll start on the Ashsaber's space route instead, and the Soulgain with be renamed to the Earthgain Custom (as アースガイン改). This is also the only way you can use any kanji in your banpresto original's names in A.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I must say I really wish their was a translation for Super Robot Wars Original Generations. It would be one of the easier ones to do it for given that the GBA games it's based off of were already translated.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

I must say I really wish their was a translation for Super Robot Wars Original Generations. It would be one of the easier ones to do it for given that the GBA games it's based off of were already translated.

It isn't as easy as it sounds. There's actually a lot of script changes in Original Generations so you couldn't just recycle the OG script for the parts already translated. Axel, for example, is heavily rewritten because everyone hated OG GBA Axel.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ImpAtom posted:

It isn't as easy as it sounds. There's actually a lot of script changes in Original Generations so you couldn't just recycle the OG script for the parts already translated. Axel, for example, is heavily rewritten because everyone hated OG GBA Axel.

I know that but you still have a bit of a base.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Even with a base to work from, it's still a disgusting amount of work since you'd have to check for differences (which would require comparing the two scripts, which would take a lot of time!) and then get the billion word novel that is a modern SRW plot typed out and that's assuming the game plays nice with hacking tools...

It's a huge pain in the rear end, basically!

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
If someone can hack SRW OGs, I would find a good home for the text dumps.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

What exactly are the other Z originals up to during Z3.1? That's been something I've been curious about for a decent chunk of my playtime.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Esther's "busy". Nothing is said of the current goings-on of the others.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
A's writing is kind of heavy-handed. I'm curious as to whether I will ever see Lamia speak a single line that is not meant to invoke suspicion about her. Gee. I wonder if she's hiding something?

V Dammit. My desire to fly the Angelg will be my undoing.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Aug 1, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Getsuya posted:

A's writing is kind of heavy-handed. I'm curious as to whether I will ever see Lamia speak a single line that is not meant to invoke suspicion about her. Gee. I wonder if she's hiding something?

Lamia's a lot less interesting than Axel, unfotunately.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I think Lamia makes for a better protagonist than Axel, but (post stage 13 spoiler) she is terribly bland as an antagonist.

A was my first non-OG SRW (because of the full script translation) so I have some nostalgia for it. It is the last SRW to feel like one of the classic games in terms of gameplay mechanics, 70s-90s cast list and seeing the same original units (Gespents everywhere) over and over, but is just modern enough to not feel sluggish.

The selection of original mecha, big cast list and relative tough difficulty makes it quite replayable, but you might want to not do that and get A Portable later. The PSP remake of A is the same game but with a few improvements, a lot prettier, and much harder. I really dig it but it is not for everyone.

Playing SRW games chronologically since Alpha/Advance is great. Even the older ones are still fun and you get to see the series get better with each installment. The exception is Impact. Compared to Advance, is a lot more modern in places but it is much slower because of how clunky it is and how pointlessly difficult they made it. And I say this as someone who enjoyed breaking that game over its knee. Don't play Impact.

KoB
May 1, 2009
My first SRW was 3 with the English patch, long before I was really into mecha anime as a whole. It had Gundam in it :colbert:

"Getta Robo" :japan:

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

GimmickMan posted:

I think Lamia makes for a better protagonist than Axel, but (post stage 13 spoiler) she is terribly bland as an antagonist.

A was my first non-OG SRW (because of the full script translation) so I have some nostalgia for it. It is the last SRW to feel like one of the classic games in terms of gameplay mechanics, 70s-90s cast list and seeing the same original units (Gespents everywhere) over and over, but is just modern enough to not feel sluggish.

SRW A for the GBA was also the first SRW game I ever played. I'm still not sure how I managed to beat it considering all the factors stacked against me at the time. I knew no Japanese, only knew a handful of series, didn't know there were pilot stats, figured out menu, attacks, and commands through trail and error (The amount of times I ejected ReGZ's backpack and caused it to crash and explode was hilariously frustrating), didn't know about terrain modifiers and for most of the game didn't know what pilot skills were and never used them. I want to find a copy of SRW A and try to play though it knowing what I know now.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Yeah, now that I'm getting better at predicting damage and using the co-op attacks, A is becoming more like a fun puzzle game (figure out how to kill the named enemies before they can run away) and less of a chore. I just wish I could put it to sleep by closing my DS so it would be more convenient to play, but at least it has the mid-battle save option.

Also playing two SRW games at the same time might not be the best idea. It's hard keeping track of all the plot points going back and forth between Alpha and A, especially since I'm playing the Super route in both of them. 'Wait, how come Lamia's acting like she doesn't know Bright? He showed up a few levels ago... oh wait that was Alpha. How come they're saying DC is protecting Macross City. Don't they mean Londo Bell? No wait that's A...'

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!

TARDISman posted:

What exactly are the other Z originals up to during Z3.1? That's been something I've been curious about for a decent chunk of my playtime.

Professor Fox mentions that they're coming to "save" Esther at some point.

The others get mentioned in passing, and I think ol' Foxy comments that Crowe ended up in another world during the timequake.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Presumably getting a new debt in the process.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Dr Pepper posted:

Presumably getting a new debt in the process.

Man's gotta do what he's gotta do.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Brunom1 posted:

Man's gotta do what he's gotta do.

This right here. This is amazing.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I thought A's levels were long to begin with, then I got to level 4 when there's 17 enemies and about as many allies on screen. Then I learned what long really looks like. And unskippable attacks. Good thing I have entertaining LPs to watch in the background while waiting for all the attacks to play out.

Edit: drat does Noin have the best battle theme in the game so far. In comparison the Nadesico theme is absolute crap, and this coming from someone who loves the theme from that show (or perhaps that just adds to the frustration of hearing it butchered like this).

Edit Edit: And then I waste an hour of my time getting a game over because I can't heal Akito when he's a guest and all he does is slam his face against the named boss super robot enemies that two-shot him. Time to take a long break.

V That is the perfect term for what he did.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Aug 2, 2014

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Don't know if it works in A compared to A Portable, but the trick is to leave weak enemies around to finish off because otherwise he'll Leeroy Jenkins into the boss.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

There's a pastebin with some good tips for AP, if you're not bothered by spoilers.

Edit: vvv Ah, I glossed over the fact that it was regular A...

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 2, 2014

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
He's playing the original A though, so I don't think it'll be of any help since a lot of the base mechanics have changed, I believe.

Some of the unit stats in the original version are pretty hilarious. I remember the Gundam Wing units getting some serious bias. Sandrock's combined defensive stats of Armor/Shield/Evasion is pretty eye-popping.

Also if I'm not wrong, original A still has W-Up and V-Up units which means grunt units are better than main units if you stack them.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

Brunom1 posted:

There's a pastebin with some good tips for AP, if you're not bothered by spoilers.

Edit: vvv Ah, I glossed over the fact that it was regular A...

Do these exist for other games in the series?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Portable Staplefrog posted:

Generally speaking, other games in the series are a thousand times easier than A/AP. You can get through most of the games in the series through the SRPG equivalent of attack moving. They might exist, but you don't really need them.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Portable Staplefrog posted:

I wrote this particular one because of AP's supposed difficulty and I'm not really aware of the existence of any other.
As Endorph mentioned, most of the SRW series are rather easy in general that you can generally do whatever you want and win... so I'm not particularly sure if there's any demand for any other SRW game.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Yes, going back and forth between A and Alpha is dizzying. I get done with a level in Alpha and wonder where all the reinforcements and actually tough enemies are. Not to mention a level in Alpha takes maybe 30 minutes (minus the talking of course), whereas even the early levels in A take at least an hour.

A does have a lot of frustrating bits, and I'm sure it'll get worse later, but it feels a lot better when I score a nice Boss kill in A than anything I do in Alpha. And the battle themes for Noin and Amuro keep me going. Man they gave Amuro a sweet song in this one.

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zTOEGnrvko

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3q-vUksRoQ

Never has my GBA belted out awesomer tunes.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 2, 2014

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Played some Z3 today, and I'm not sure how I'm supposed to get this Skill Point in stage 29. It's the one where you have 4 turns to kill everything, including Gauron in a boss unit that won't move and is most of he way across the map, AND you have to protect the school area from any units getting into it. So I can't just pop accel on everyone and have them plow through to Gauron, because units will slip past to the school, and I can't seem to kill them fast enough to make the time limit.

This is the first Skill Point that's really given me trouble too.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

I firmly believe that SRW's music is the best part of an already great series.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Can I get some tips on how to read Pilot stats? Like, how do I know if a pilot has the potential to be a really good end-game character or not?

V The pre-W Gundams always thow me off because they always have so many sub-main characters in these games (always meaning in the two I've played so far). I mean I know Camille and Amuro are great, but other than that my way of judging them has been 'does this character have 20% less chance to hit than everyone else? Permanent bench!' and I'm worried I'm going to shelf someone who turns out to be a powerhouse with some tuning.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 3, 2014

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Getsuya posted:

Can I get some tips on how to read Pilot stats? Like, how do I know if a pilot has the potential to be a really good end-game character or not?
Well, since you're playing an older game, if they're from Gundam, see if they have Newtype. Except in a few edge cases (hi Katz and Fa).

This is one of those things where I think you basically need to have some knowledge of the source material to identify who are the main characters. They generally always have superior stats by around 10-20 points per stat compared to the second stringers and there's almost very little exception to that rule.

Use those guys as a base comparison because there really isn't any numeric rule of thumb like ">160 in a stat is good!" or anything. It's all relative.

There are certain games with some characters that supposedly like "late-game" growths where they gain much more stats at higher levels than lower ones, but I don't think any of them ever work out to be better than the ones that are strong for the entire game. Plus you need a guide to realize that they have this kind of stat-growth in the first place.

Of course, support pilots who are just there to cast Spirit Commands don't really care about their stats.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

maou shoujo posted:

I firmly believe that SRW's music is the best part of an already great series.
drat straight.

Speaking of which, is there any OST for Z3-1 in sight, or do I have to keep listening to it on Youtube?

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

drat straight.

Speaking of which, is there any OST for Z3-1 in sight, or do I have to keep listening to it on Youtube?

The /m/ thread has a series of 7zip files with that.

That said, if you only want specific songs, you can rip mp3s off single videos in here.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy

Getsuya posted:

V The pre-W Gundams always thow me off because they always have so many sub-main characters in these games (always meaning in the two I've played so far). I mean I know Camille and Amuro are great, but other than that my way of judging them has been 'does this character have 20% less chance to hit than everyone else? Permanent bench!' and I'm worried I'm going to shelf someone who turns out to be a powerhouse with some tuning.

Do yourself a favor and use the Texas Mack. It's ridiculously overpowered in A because it has a shield and a beam coat for some reason.

EDIT: I think A was a game that had V-Up Units... so anything that has 3 or 4 item slots is going to pretty much immediately be better than something without because of that. I also think A had variable upgrade slots for certain units, so if you really want to spend a lot of money on something you can make certain units really, really amazing.

Basically just find pilots you like who have useful spells and don't worry too much about anything beyond that, though.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Aha, so that's why one of the big bonuses in New Game + for A is giving every character 4 item slots.

So I've gotten to the point in Alpha where V Gundam shows up and I was really excited for this because V is actually my favorite Gundam series, followed closely by Seed. After hearing how Seed and a few other series get 'fixed' in the SRW games, with much better character development and such, I was all hyped up to see what they do with Usso and the gang.

Unfortunately, and maybe this is just at the beginning, the V Gundam group seems kind of sad and annoying. In the anime, Usso was forced to fight because he was literally all there was between his friends and destruction. In SRW there's a whole freaking slough of robots. There's literally no reason he can't just go forget about it all and live with Shakti Katejina Haro in peace. He says he wants to find his parents, but his friend helpfully and correctly points out that joining up with a military ship that is almost certain to force him to be a pilot isn't the way to go about that.

In the anime, Katejina and Shakti come across almost like anti-war strawmen, constantly insisting that the best thing to do is ignore the war and hope it goes away, which was annoying, but I'm not sure how I feel about them becoming actual logical characters in SRW where the situation COULD be safely ignored and there really IS no reason for Usso to fight.

But like I said I only just started that plotline so maybe things turn around later on.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Davzz posted:

Well, since you're playing an older game, if they're from Gundam, see if they have Newtype. Except in a few edge cases (hi Katz and Fa).

This is one of those things where I think you basically need to have some knowledge of the source material to identify who are the main characters. They generally always have superior stats by around 10-20 points per stat compared to the second stringers and there's almost very little exception to that rule.

Use those guys as a base comparison because there really isn't any numeric rule of thumb like ">160 in a stat is good!" or anything. It's all relative.

There are certain games with some characters that supposedly like "late-game" growths where they gain much more stats at higher levels than lower ones, but I don't think any of them ever work out to be better than the ones that are strong for the entire game. Plus you need a guide to realize that they have this kind of stat-growth in the first place.

Of course, support pilots who are just there to cast Spirit Commands don't really care about their stats.

To add to this:

Keep an eye out for multipilot units. You don't need high accuracy or armor when you can spam Lock On and Iron Wall every Turn. Multipilot units are instrumental to finishing off 100k+ HP Bosses in one turn because the subpilots can spam support Seishin while the lead uses their own offensively. Getter is the most consistently good unit in SRW. It has three spirit banks to both keep it alive while spamming its absurdly powerful finisher and it is in almost every SRW. You can't go wrong with Getter. About the only exception I can think of is Impact, which just further proves you should never play Impact.

Newtypes and Gundam leads not named Kou Uraki are some of the better reals you can field. Newtype leads like Amuro and Kamille often start with garbage units but pull through with better pilot stats, then get really good units and dominate the lategame. Non-Newtype leads like Domon and Heero tend to get superior pilot+mecha stats than other real robots because these games are made by Bandai after all. :v: The exception is Kou from 0083 but no one likes him anyway so whatever. Gundam female characters tend to have great support Seishin but make mediocre pilots, so they're great subpilots or pilots for support units.

Lastly, single pilot super robots that start out good usually get better, while those that start out merely okay end up being mediocre. These go on a pretty case by case basis, because some units are absurdly overpowered in one game but just meh in the next one. If the version of Kouji you've got kicks rear end from the beginning, he's worth keeping. If not, drop him because you'll get someone better down the line anyway.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

GimmickMan posted:

Newtypes and Gundam leads not named Kou Uraki are some of the better reals you can field.

The exception is Kou from 0083 but no one likes him anyway so whatever.

Thems fighting words. The GP-03 is pretty rad as a unit and the Dendrobium is great. Besides it's not Kou's fault his series hates him.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

TheManSeries posted:

Thems fighting words. The GP-03 is pretty rad as a unit and the Dendrobium is great. Besides it's not Kou's fault his series hates him.

His statement was about Kou, not the Dendrobium.

If you use it, there is no reason not to put a better pilot in it. Throw a Puru in it or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体
The SNES games made Kou start off weak but with good stat growths. Of course, leveling up any bad pilot in the classic timeline is an exercise in frustration.

• Locked thread