Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snooman
Aug 15, 2013

Sage Grimm posted:

Okay, place an electrical pole but hold the mouse button down instead of just clicking. NOW RUN LIKE THE WIND. You will place poles down at max range where your cursor is from the nearest pole!

Minor nitpicky fix: This only works if no other poles are nearby, which makes running parallel lines within connecting range of each other a completely manual process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Dunno-Lars posted:

Your armor probably have laser turrets in it, and while the medium and big biters are resistant to explosives and gunfire, they have zero resistance to lasers.

Is one of your outputs clogged? Phone posting is broken.

That's what I'm saying, there's barely any point in shooting at things when my laser-equipped armor can do it better and faster.

As for clogged outputs, I caught that quirk early on; easily fixed by turning the excess product into fuel or crack it into something more useful.

Screenshots because why not. Main base:

Pathetic oil barrel complex (point was to bring oil from all over back here for barreling) :

Copper town:

Not pictured: random iron ore mining rigs, solar panel farm.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

snooman posted:

Minor nitpicky fix: This only works if no other poles are nearby, which makes running parallel lines within connecting range of each other a completely manual process.

... why would you need to run two power lines in parallel? :confused:

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

President Ark posted:

... why would you need to run two power lines in parallel? :confused:

I hit this often with solar farms and sometimes with mine layouts.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
With substations it's an even more beautiful thing.

That said, it doesn't handle diagonals very well.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Do steam engines just consume massive quantities of steam-water then? Because it certainly doesn't seem like pipes can fit that much water in them (or maybe it's different for water/oil/etc.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
My oil barrel outpost is already dry :stare:

How do you guys manage to keep a steady supply of oil? Fields are few and far between and even 200% yields don't last long. Ore seems nicely balanced, but oil really doesn't.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
What do you guys do for your oil refinery setup? Including storage tanks and such and actually getting it to your chemical plants. Everything i build seems to just lead to a massive mess.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

UberJumper posted:

What do you guys do for your oil refinery setup? Including storage tanks and such and actually getting it to your chemical plants. Everything i build seems to just lead to a massive mess.

This is my cheat sheet:

The symbol at the bottom shows which inputs are water/oil so you can plan ahead for advanced processing. I've since refined this pattern a bit, but this is the basic layout.

As for the actual outputs, solutions vary wildly depending on the angle it comes into your base, so it's very hard to generalize. I like to have my iron/copper veins terminate at the battery works and feed backwards into the factory, but it's all up to taste.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Use lots of space if you don't want a tangle of pipes. This is good advice for whenever you're just figuring out the different systems. Once you have a handle on things you can start being more space efficient.

snooman
Aug 15, 2013
Someone posted these nifty T-junctions (coming out of the refineries) upthread. They make moving through your fluid processing facility easier and give you space to branch off your lines for other use.

For layout
Crude -> refinery: Whatever, make it work.

Refineries: Lay the pipe for water and crude, even if you don't have Advanced oil processing yet. Crude intake will be on the left with the refinery pointing down, but don't worry if you have them reversed since it's easy to switch. Leaving a space between refineries allows the layout in the pic above.

Storage: Leave room for expansion and piping. I have a stupidly large amount of storage for my needs, so don't mimic the pic. Moving storage tanks once they're filled is a tedious process if you have to pump out the tanks and move them, or an extremely wasteful one via deconstruction. Hopefully the day will come when a deconstructed tank causes a spill that can catch fire, potentially exploding the petroleum tanks, releasing clouds of sulfuric acid and other fun weaponization possibilities.

Cracking: Again, leave room for water, and room (or a pipeline) for solid fuel production if necessary. Otherwise, it's easy to line up a row of cracking plants. Leave a space between each plant for easier piping.

End products: This is dictated by your factory layout. Place plastic as near to advanced circuit production as possible, lubricant near your engine/belt works, batteries where it makes sense/fits.

[edit] Removed Elmore Leonard grammar. Heh.

snooman fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jul 30, 2014

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Evilreaver posted:

Awesome Tips

snooman posted:

More awesome

Thanks i think i am going to go and rework my oil stuff using both of your awesome advice. I really left almost no space for the refinery so i am going to rework a bunch of stuff.

Also is there a way to turn off that extremely annoying warning noise every time a biter touches a wall? It is driving me insane.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I can't stand seeing more than two tanks together :psyduck: I'm always so starved for oil (until I cheat-overclock a node or two) I am unable to comprehend these tank fields.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
So in lieu of working on some more ambitious mod, I'm thinking of adding (small) patches of minable sulfur (and maybe rearranging some tech to make batteries accessible before oil). Anybody have an opinion on this?

snooman
Aug 15, 2013

Evilreaver posted:

I can't stand seeing more than two tanks together :psyduck: I'm always so starved for oil (until I cheat-overclock a node or two) I am unable to comprehend these tank fields.

That's a good point and worth pointing out to UberJumper: That pic is from a map with all resources maximized. Normal oil settings are far lower and result in amusing panic when oil runs out just after queuing up a crucial batch of laser turrets.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I tend to build a large-ish stockpile for stuff as I'm setting up the oil system, but when i hit the point where I start to burn through it, i use some small pumps to empty out the further tanks after disconnecting them from the main one.

code:

XXXX
XXXX
XXXX--|
XXXX  ^
--X---- 

-| pipes, X tanks, ^ pump
Something not unlike that, where the excess tanks have been rotated so they no longer touch the main tank. Once they've been dumped out, i deconstruct them.

I'm really annoyed there isn't a production/consumption thing for fluids.

Or I'm really annoyed that I haven't found the button to bring it up. One or the other.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
.10.5 is out: http://www.factorioforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5068

Among other things:

quote:

Bugfixes:
Fixed crash when player with robots delivering him items, left the logistic area (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4999).

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Does anyone have problems where Water pumps seemingly at random decide to stop working? Twice now i just noticed that all my steam engines have stopped and i am forced to rebuild the pumps.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

UberJumper posted:

Does anyone have problems where Water pumps seemingly at random decide to stop working? Twice now i just noticed that all my steam engines have stopped and i am forced to rebuild the pumps.

How many pumps do you use within the same pipe network?

After a certain amount, more pumps won't help. No idea what the limits are.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
There is simply a maximum limit to how fast you can push water through a given volume of pipe. Presumably the pressure at which the pumps pump is lower than the pressure at which the pipes rupture.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
I am using 1 pump per set of steam engines (9 engines). Sometimes the pumps just seem to be pumping almost no water. I am forced to destroy and rebuild them.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

UberJumper posted:

I am using 1 pump per set of steam engines (9 engines). Sometimes the pumps just seem to be pumping almost no water. I am forced to destroy and rebuild them.

You can only have two pumps per line though. Unless all of your pumps are totally disconnected from each other, that may be your issue. Or you've got some weird bug and should file a bug report. Either way, screen shot your pump/furnace/engine layout and lets take a look.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

SpookyLizard posted:

You can only have two pumps per line though. Unless all of your pumps are totally disconnected from each other, that may be your issue. Or you've got some weird bug and should file a bug report. Either way, screen shot your pump/furnace/engine layout and lets take a look.

Here is my setup: (the problem isn't currently happening)

A bunch of the pumps seem to stop pumping water at random times, forcing me to run over and destroy and rebuild them. I don't understand why.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
You may just be using too few boilers - I think the ratio is around 13-14 boilers for 10 steam engines. If they don't have enough hot water because of that, that could be the issue.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

UberJumper posted:

Here is my setup: (the problem isn't currently happening)

A bunch of the pumps seem to stop pumping water at random times, forcing me to run over and destroy and rebuild them. I don't understand why.

Yeah this sounds like a bug. I can't think of any reason why this should be happening.

Dirk the Average posted:

You may just be using too few boilers - I think the ratio is around 13-14 boilers for 10 steam engines. If they don't have enough hot water because of that, that could be the issue.

Why would destroying the water pump and replacing it with a new one rectify a problem with the boilers?

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
What's the command to remove the day/ night cycle?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

code:
game.alwaysday = true
And, obviously,
code:
game.alwaysday = false
undoes the previous one.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Shintaro posted:

Speak for yourself. All I see is this:

Roads.

http://www.factorioforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5127

You're welcome.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Throughput, throughput, throughput!

For the longest time I was constructing my train station ore dropoffs like this:

Good enough for government work, right? The trouble is that while it (eventually) fills all of the crates, it takes a while to feed the second line because the first line takes priority, and if your mining base starts to get exhausted to the point where you're not producing as much as you're transporting, the far side crates tend to not refill, which means they'll eventually empty; meaning that your trains take twice as long to load up.

This:

is far better: both rows of crates fill up equally from the get-go, and that means that your trains spend less time at the station from the first trip they make. Incidentally, a carriage being loaded by 8 crates takes just a fraction over 15 seconds to fully load/unload when you've researched every inserter stack size tech.

As for smelting, this:

works really, really well for me. It's constructed out of two blueprint templates: the mess of conveyers and splitters up top that take in one input belt and one output belt, and the following template:

It's got excellent, perfectly balanced throughput, is easily optimised by filling out new rows before adding new columns, and most importantly four templates (i.e. 8*2 smelters) side-by-side fits snugly within the maximum spacing for roboports that link up together.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Z

Breetai posted:

Awesome stufdf

This is the most optimal thing i have found for loading trains:

Is there any sort of robot recharging mod? That gives me another way to recharge my little robot bees? I have nearly 3k robots (i accidently left my logistic fabricator going while i played with trains for about 2 hours). They are currently wandering around my base desperately trying to find somewhere to recharge.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Can't you just build more robot stations?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Build more roboports; that's the only way to let them charge.

If you don't build enough roboports they'll slowly starve and die until you are down to the maximum capacity for recharging on your current roboport network.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Neruz posted:

Build more roboports; that's the only way to let them charge.

If you don't build enough roboports they'll slowly starve and die until you are down to the maximum capacity for recharging on your current roboport network.

They no longer die in the current version: I believe in 10.1 they changed it to a far slower movement speed instead.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Breetai posted:

They no longer die in the current version: I believe in 10.1 they changed it to a far slower movement speed instead.

Oh god that's why I have so many super slow robots clogging up my logistics system and taking forever to get anywhere.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Breetai posted:

20% movementspeed to be exact. That was made so the robots don't crash in front of the station waiting.

Build more roboports. One port can only hold so many robots anyway.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Robot stations are massive and take up a huge area. I was hoping for something small that just lets you recharge robots and does nothing else.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

UberJumper posted:

Robot stations are massive and take up a huge area. I was hoping for something small that just lets you recharge robots and does nothing else.

Not available unfortunately. Maybe someone could come up with or has come up with a modding solution?

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
I've not used it personally, so I can't vouch for it, but there's this: [MOD 0.10.x] Robocharge - Robot Charging Station

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Shintaro posted:

I've not used it personally, so I can't vouch for it, but there's this: [MOD 0.10.x] Robocharge - Robot Charging Station

it worked fine in 0.9.8 I have not used it in 0.10.x

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

So, does anyone have experience with the treefarm mod? I am looking for a quick tutorial on that poo poo, but I really don't want to watch a video.