Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Hokuto posted:

His statement was about Kou, not the Dendrobium.

If you use it, there is no reason not to put a better pilot in it. Throw a Puru in it or something.

Yeah, that was supposed to be more in a joking tone there but point taken. I'm kinda awestruck at the idea of slapping a Puru in the Dendrobium though. That's pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Dendrobium is generally a pretty solid unit on par or better than Zeta or Nu in some games. But since there are almost always more good UC pilots than good UC mobile suits a non-Newtype like Kou isn't going to be the best choice to pilot it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Kou needs the Loran treatment of getting superior spells to have any advantage over the Newtypes. Loran having +30 will equipped with SP Regen is probably the only reason why I still had him piloting the Turn-A in Z, because having instant MAP's were so important in the 2nd half of the game.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

In order for that to happen, they need to do something in UC Gundam before Zeta. Which I doubt will happen any time soon.

GodofDiscord
Sep 5, 2013

Not the strongest, but the cutest.
So quick question. I'm playing MX Portable and I've realized something when I fought the Medius Locus. When the ML showed up, it's bgm Crying Black played but then when I actually fight it, it doesn't come back on. Is this unique to MX?

Also on the Denbrodium, I fielded that sucker with a Puru and never looked back.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

GimmickMan posted:

Keep an eye out for multipilot units. You don't need high accuracy or armor when you can spam Lock On and Iron Wall every Turn. Multipilot units are instrumental to finishing off 100k+ HP Bosses in one turn because the subpilots can spam support Seishin while the lead uses their own offensively. Getter is the most consistently good unit in SRW. It has three spirit banks to both keep it alive while spamming its absurdly powerful finisher and it is in almost every SRW. You can't go wrong with Getter. About the only exception I can think of is Impact, which just further proves you should never play Impact.

I didn't have any problems using Getter in Impact... A Portable, though, at the beginning it was one of the weaker supers in a game where supers need a *lot* of babying to be usable anyway. Of course, it got stronger and more usable later, but the same could be said for Impact as well.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I always think Getter is useless, personally. Too expensive for its attacks and pretty fragile for a Super. The only exception was Getter 2 in A because you can stack the 30% dodge modifier, basically making it my MVP.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Tae posted:

I always think Getter is useless, personally. Too expensive for its attacks and pretty fragile for a Super. The only exception was Getter 2 in A because you can stack the 30% dodge modifier, basically making it my MVP.

That's mostly because it's not technically a Super, it's a Combining Robot. Look at stuff like Dancougar/Nova and things like that and they all end up being pretty fragile while still having an absolutely absurd damage output, even Gurren Lagann ends up being pretty weak on the defensive end and incredibly EN hungry, it comes with the territory.

TARDISman fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 3, 2014

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Tae posted:

Nah, dog. It has the spirits and SP pool to alert/guard/invincible everything until you get enough will for Open Get to start activating. And god forbid the games where Getter Vision stacks with Open Get.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
You're going to have to explain to me how a member of the Super Robot Gundan is technically not a Super Robot. :colbert:

Okay, technically that was Getter Robo G, but still.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

TARDISman posted:

That's mostly because it's not technically a Super, it's a Combining Robot. Look at stuff like Dancougar/Nova and things like that and they all end up being pretty fragile while still having an absolutely absurd damage output, even Gurren Lagann ends up being pretty weak on the defensive end and incredibly EN hungry, it comes with the territory.

I found Gurren Lagann in Z2 to be tanky as heck personally. In Z3 it's more fragile, but basically everything without a barrier (or is Aquarion) is.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

HiKaizer posted:

I found Gurren Lagann in Z2 to be tanky as heck personally. In Z3 it's more fragile, but basically everything without a barrier (or is Aquarion) is.

Oh yeah, I was going off Z3, I completely forgot how everyone played in Z2 apart from Kallen and Setsuna murdering the gently caress out of everything.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I do like to imagine how the cast in SRWZ2/3 deals with Kallen. Gathering a ridiculously powerful super robot army and a random crapbot made by an oppressed Japanese rebellion creates a machine that just leaves a wave of radiation-melted people in its wake.

"Stop all this pointless fi... did you just make that person explode from the inside out?!"

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I do like to imagine how the cast in SRWZ2/3 deals with Kallen. Gathering a ridiculously powerful super robot army and a random crapbot made by an oppressed Japanese rebellion creates a machine that just leaves a wave of radiation-melted people in its wake.

"Stop all this pointless fi... did you just make that person explode from the inside out?!"

If AGE and Code Geass had to share a game, I'm pretty sure Kio would have a conniption.

EDIT: Ok, what exactly are the properties of Noriko's ace bonus in Z3? It says Miracle occurs, does that just mean a random badass Spirit command happens like Zero's ace bonus in Z2.2?

TARDISman fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 4, 2014

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
If that's the spirit command, then she gets +30 Will and the effects of the Guts, Accelerate, Strike, Lucky, Alert, and Vigor. Kinda the thing you wouldn't want triggering randomly, actually.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I don't think I have this Kou guy everyone was talking about yet, but I do have a guy named Shiro who, despite apparently being a Gundam lead from one of the shows or other, is kind of crappy. And, though people have pointed out that Getter is pretty awesome, in A you get Texas Mack who is a great deal more awesome.

I'm coming up on Level 7 which, as the strategy guide puts it, is 'a storm of secret events'. It then goes on to say that doing all the events in level 7 is stupid hard and that most of the units aren't worth keeping anyway, especially when killing them instead of recruiting them nets you two V-Ups. Two V-Ups vs. getting the female versions of Getter and Mazinger isn't too hard of a choice, for me. Maybe if I was more of an old big robot fan.

Also, regarding Alpha, some upgrade guide told me I should make sure to put a lot of points into Quatro's Hyakushiki, but that thing is a piece of junk. At first I thought Quatro was a crappy character, but then I actually looked at his stats and realized he was great he was just in a machine that didn't let him use his potential. Once I got a free Gundam in my hands (I think it's name is Alex or something?) I slapped him in that and he is now 110% better.

Also to let you know how much of a Gundam newbie I am, I was really shocked to find out that Quatro is Char.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Getsuya posted:

I don't think I have this Kou guy everyone was talking about yet, but I do have a guy named Shiro who, despite apparently being a Gundam lead from one of the shows or other, is kind of crappy. And, though people have pointed out that Getter is pretty awesome, in A you get Texas Mack who is a great deal more awesome.

Shiro's from 08th MS Team, which is almost exclusively about regular dudes fighting a regular war, as such Shiro's not really anything special, he's really just an above average MS pilot with a customized grunt suit.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

TARDISman posted:

If AGE and Code Geass had to share a game, I'm pretty sure Kio would have a conniption.

EDIT: Ok, what exactly are the properties of Noriko's ace bonus in Z3? It says Miracle occurs, does that just mean a random badass Spirit command happens like Zero's ace bonus in Z2.2?

She casts most (all?) self targeting spirits in the game, minus the healing and will ones at the same time. This includes both Soul and Valor which are used one after the other, Soul first. It's probably the best Ace Bonus in the game that isn't a flat damage boost like Ryouma, Kouji and Kallen have.

ImpAtom posted:

It's a good ace bonus but really suffers from being uncontrollable. If you could pop it whenever you wanted it would be soul-shatteringly powerful but as it stands it probably will get wasted on a lesser enemy instead of a boss character.

Basara is your friend. Besides, worse case scenario, you blow Soul and Valor on some weak mooks during the enemy phase and you can use the free Zeal to set up a MAP or pick up some extra Tension Stars that you can use to Maximum Break a boss or something.

WrightOfWay fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Aug 4, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's a good ace bonus but really suffers from being uncontrollable. If you could pop it whenever you wanted it would be soul-shatteringly powerful but as it stands it probably will get wasted on a lesser enemy instead of a boss character.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Broken Loose posted:

Nah, dog. It has the spirits and SP pool to alert/guard/invincible everything until you get enough will for Open Get to start activating. And god forbid the games where Getter Vision stacks with Open Get.

In ARDJ auto-dodge skills activate before Invincible and Flash/Alert get used up. Between those two spirits and Open Get and Getter Vision/Mach Special for Getter 2 or Sword Block for Getter 1, Getter Robo should almost never be taking real damage. That doesn't even need Iron Wall/Guard unless you want to throw Getter by itself into the middle of an enemy wave.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Incidentally, AP does do the "give non-Newtypes better spirits" balancing act with the Gundam pilots. Kou has Strike with the cost of 10SP, and since GP03 doesn't need help with survival in the Spirit department that's basically gold in AP. Shiro is basically Irm once he gets his ACE bonus.

In comparison most of the Newtype mains spirit lists can be described as "generic real."

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Getsuya posted:

I'm coming up on Level 7 which, as the strategy guide puts it, is 'a storm of secret events'. It then goes on to say that doing all the events in level 7 is stupid hard and that most of the units aren't worth keeping anyway, especially when killing them instead of recruiting them nets you two V-Ups. Two V-Ups vs. getting the female versions of Getter and Mazinger isn't too hard of a choice, for me. Maybe if I was more of an old big robot fan.

Also, regarding Alpha, some upgrade guide told me I should make sure to put a lot of points into Quatro's Hyakushiki, but that thing is a piece of junk. At first I thought Quatro was a crappy character, but then I actually looked at his stats and realized he was great he was just in a machine that didn't let him use his potential. Once I got a free Gundam in my hands (I think it's name is Alex or something?) I slapped him in that and he is now 110% better.

Also to let you know how much of a Gundam newbie I am, I was really shocked to find out that Quatro is Char.

Stage 7 of Advance was my first experience with SRW's love for complex sequences of convincing reluctant bad guys to join your side. I recruited everyone I could recruit during that game only to never use them because most of them were pretty bad. I never tried to be a SRW completionist again after that.

e: Advance has one very obvious exception that is absolutely worth recruiting and should be really obvious when you get to it.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

GimmickMan posted:

Stage 7 of Advance was my first experience with SRW's love for complex sequences of convincing reluctant bad guys to join your side. I recruited everyone I could recruit during that game only to never use them because most of them were pretty bad. I never tried to be a SRW completionist again after that.

I like how later there's a mission where you have to convince a character, then use the convinced character to convince another character on the same map. And I actually intend to do that one since among all the secret recruitables those two are ones I really want.

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009

Getsuya posted:

Honestly, early on in Alpha there's no reason to bother with Hyaku Shiki. It gets really good later on, but for the early game, especially on Earth, Core Booster is the best Gundam unit. Alex is decent enough, but the GP01 is the best ground use MS, at least until it's "Upgrade". Something you might not have noticed is that flying units get an evasion and accuracy bonus, so even B (C?) rank Air is better than A rank ground.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Jegan posted:

Honestly, early on in Alpha there's no reason to bother with Hyaku Shiki. It gets really good later on, but for the early game, especially on Earth, Core Booster is the best Gundam unit. Alex is decent enough, but the GP01 is the best ground use MS, at least until it's "Upgrade". Something you might not have noticed is that flying units get an evasion and accuracy bonus, so even B (C?) rank Air is better than A rank ground.

Upgrades on the Hyaku Shiki don't pass to the Sazabi, do they? Still, I suppose you could always pass it onto someone else.

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009
No, it upgrades into the Hyaku Shiki Kai and then Full Armor. It's not really much more than a more energy efficient Zeta Gundam, but that's still pretty good. Funnel units might have higher damage, but Beams can't be Sword Cut and they get bonus damage from having excess range. I think missiles, funnels and MAPs are the only weapons that don't get that bonus actually.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Jegan posted:

Are there any other SRWs that do this? I know OE did... one of the few good things about that game.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I doubt it.

Alpha 1 was a weird game in a lot of ways.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Z3 really went all out on the MAP attacks. Kallen, Heero and Roger all have good Post Move MAPs (especially Heero) and can boost their low power with Soul. Zero still has his somewhat awkward ranged but very strong MAP, Gurren Lagann, Gunbuster, Aquarion and Mazinger can occasionally bust theirs out and catch a few groups and Strike Freedom's Dragoons turned into Seventh loving Swell between games. It even has two ammo! It's not uncommon for Kira to be able to chain three or four MAPs a turn for 20+ kills on the more densely populated maps.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
This map in Z2.1 where you've gotta kill a ball thing with DaiGuard's special is really pissing me off. It's not hard, but I always end up overkilling the thing and resetting it, or not doing enough damage and running out of time either way. Why did I have to go where Gurren Lagann went?

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
The inability to skip battle animations in A has finally crushed my spirit. After spending somewhere like 2 hours on battle 7 (even without reloading when I failed to take down some of the bosses and got retreats instead) I realized that the time investment wasn't really worth it when I could literally pick any given SRW game and get through it three or four times as quickly. I'll probably pick up A Portable and revisit the game at some point, but for now it's time to just focus on Alpha and maybe start up D.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
For the like three people in this thread who actually care, the FMW3 trailer dropped and it is basically maximum hype.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Speaking of fanmade spinoffs of SRW, they have a few of the latest entries in the Super Heroine Wars series down at my local gamestore. Each entry seems to have a few additional characters and battles, but I couldn't find anything to say if you needed to buy every single game in the series to get all the chapters or if, like other doujin games like Higurashi and Umineko, each new version included all previous versions as well.

Also I have no idea if they're good or not. I like the character rosters, but what few screenshots I can find seem pretty shoddy, and I can't find any gameplay videos to see how the battle animations are. The one gameplay video I did find literally stopped the instant before a battle would have started (and had at least 20 minutes of talking before the first battle of the game).

VV I wonder what a SRW game would look like if it had as bad of a series selection as Super Heroine Chronicle. You know your crossover is crap when Nendroid Generation has a way better line-up than you.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 10, 2014

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Getsuya posted:

Super Heroine Wars
The first two things I thought after reading the post was "Wow, this was the first time someone said they liked the cast list of that game" and then "Wait, no one has put any battle animations up on Youtube, really?"

And then I realized you weren't talking about Super Heroine Chronicles but instead a game with a very similar name after looking it up on Google. Oops.

Well, there isn't many screenshots of the thing, but I can recognize that those games were made in the freeware SRC (Simulation RPG Construction) engine, so I can make an educated guess and say the animation is probably map heads shaking a bit, conjuring laser beams out of their map heads and causing cheesy explosion or slashing effects to appear on the enemy's map head.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

SRW made me into a huge mecha dork and if FMW is half as good it will probably make me a touhou dork.

I should probably try FMW but I am scared to. I've seen what touhou does to people, man.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

GimmickMan posted:

SRW made me into a huge mecha dork and if FMW is half as good it will probably make me a touhou dork.

I should probably try FMW but I am scared to. I've seen what touhou does to people, man.

FMW is a really good game regardless of Touhous and Touhou-related things.

We've discussed it at a couple of points in the thread, but basically, Fantasy Maiden Wars has all the trappings of a good SRW game, combined with new and unique features that give the game a distinctive brand of challenge that SRW games lack.

Mainly, bosses have spell cards that function as passive AOE zones which apply various restrictions to people inside of them. Lower range, lower movement, reduced hit/dodge, forced terrain (Nitori forces people in her spellcard zone to be underwater, where her weapons have S rank), etc. It's a cool feature that I wish I could see in an actual SRW game.

Hikarusa
Sep 8, 2011

Hokuto posted:

FMW is a really good game regardless of Touhous and Touhou-related things.

We've discussed it at a couple of points in the thread, but basically, Fantasy Maiden Wars has all the trappings of a good SRW game, combined with new and unique features that give the game a distinctive brand of challenge that SRW games lack.

Mainly, bosses have spell cards that function as passive AOE zones which apply various restrictions to people inside of them. Lower range, lower movement, reduced hit/dodge, forced terrain (Nitori forces people in her spellcard zone to be underwater, where her weapons have S rank), etc. It's a cool feature that I wish I could see in an actual SRW game.

Even aside from that, the system where bosses have multiple smaller health bars and gain a new attack every spell card does a lot to make them more interesting than bosses generally are in SRW.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I've actually held back on trying FMW explicitly because of those features. I have enough familiarity with SRW now that I only sometimes need to consult akurasu for translations, but FMW seems to have a lot of new mechanics and everything has different names and it would be kind of annoying having to relearn everything. Although I remember hearing that the first chapter got an english fan-translation? I might try that, if true.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Yes, it did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Hokuto posted:

I feel like if SRW jacked the spellcard system, it would be a good way to handle things like Aldnoah.Zero while avoiding Z2's tendency to represent Lelouche's traps as screen-shaking and explosions.

• Locked thread