Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

vulturesrow posted:

E2 does just fine with 3 controllers. ~Naval Aviation Supremacy~

You're probably joking, but the level of control capability doors not even compare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Doctrinally is the E-2 kind of a relay for the carrier battle group? Like most control stuff still comes from the carrier?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Mrs. Slidebite and I are probably going to be in the SLC area around Sept 8-ish and we were thinking of driving to SFO. Enroute is Reno and the air races just happen to be on around that time.

I have never seen the air races but I've heard they've started to lose a lot of competitors since that 2011 crash making them even cancel some events.

Is it a worthwhile thing to try coincide a visit for a day or two? Since I'm not sure which day we'll be there, is a walk-up without prepurchasing tickets crazy or is there normally tons of available seats?

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

I don't like that dude... I don't like THAT DUDE!
Bad news everyone, the PKAF has grounded their Mig-19s: http://m.yna.co.kr/mob2/en/contents_en.jsp?domain=3&ctype=A&site=0100000000&cid=AEN20140730002800315&mobile

The Mig-15s, however, are still flying. :cry:

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

That isn't flying - it's falling. With style.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

vulturesrow posted:

E2 does just fine with 3 controllers. ~Naval Aviation Supremacy~

Linking because I just found it (caution PDF):

http://www.northropgrumman.com/Capabilities/E2DAdvancedHawkeye/Documents/pageDocuments/E-2D_Cutaway_Poster.pdf

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

hobbesmaster posted:

Airborne warning and control. The purpose of an AWACS is to control air assets - that requires low latency to make quick decisions and have up to date information and to have someone with some rank onboard. I suppose it could be done with a ship in theatre with a remote connection to something flying overhead for radar coverage and improved coms range but that won't help in Afganistan.

Satellite communications has considerable latency not present in line-of-sight or terrestrial comms but it is measured in hundreds to thousands of milliseconds, not in minutes. Would an extra 750ms be a dealbreaker?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

mlmp08 posted:

You're probably joking, but the level of control capability doors not even compare.

I wasn't joking, but read what I said. I said an E-2 does just fine with 3. And it does. In fact, as a person whose worked with an E2 and E3 as an "end user" of their product, I've found nothing that sets the E3 over the E2 in any significant sense. If youd like to detail what you think makes it superior by all means go ahead. My only point is that as a tactical user I've yet to experience much difference in the two.

hobbesmaster posted:

Doctrinally is the E-2 kind of a relay for the carrier battle group? Like most control stuff still comes from the carrier?

Not sure what you are asking here. The CSG exercises very little control over the what the air wing does from moment to moment. The E2 can be used as a relay but usually acts more as airborne intercept control and early warning. They do a lot of other stuff too but those two are some of the big ones.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

slidebite posted:

Mrs. Slidebite and I are probably going to be in the SLC area around Sept 8-ish and we were thinking of driving to SFO. Enroute is Reno and the air races just happen to be on around that time.

I have never seen the air races but I've heard they've started to lose a lot of competitors since that 2011 crash making them even cancel some events.

Is it a worthwhile thing to try coincide a visit for a day or two? Since I'm not sure which day we'll be there, is a walk-up without prepurchasing tickets crazy or is there normally tons of available seats?

Where'd you hear that? Last year sounded like one of the best Unlimited races in years. A couple of the planes have had issues over the year (most famously the Dreadnought incident over San Francisco Bay) but it sounds like it'll be another good year this year, albeit with the new and weird management structure.

Do go. There is plenty of room in the bleachers for everything but the Sunday Unlimited Gold race.
Heck, you don't even need the bleachers - BUY A PIT PASS. Just watch from the rope in the pits.

Seriously, Reno is awesome. If you stand next to a plane being wrenched on long enough they're likely to hand you a tool and ask you to hold something. The T-6 class is close enough you can get some great shots of 4 or more planes together as they pass the pylon.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

vulturesrow posted:

I wasn't joking, but read what I said. I said an E-2 does just fine with 3. And it does. In fact, as a person whose worked with an E2 and E3 as an "end user" of their product, I've found nothing that sets the E3 over the E2 in any significant sense. If youd like to detail what you think makes it superior by all means go ahead. My only point is that as a tactical user I've yet to experience much difference in the two.

That's because an E-2 has a very limited piece of the pie. In a pinch the AWACS can take over for the ASOC, TAOC, or AOC, depending on what kind of war we're dealing with. There's also significant tech advantages that you're not going to see in a 4v4 exercise or even an AW Fallon or Red Flag. A small number of E-3s can provide theater-wide C2, something you're gonna need a carrier loaded with nothing but Hawkeyes (or E-737s) to do. More radios, better datalink hardware, deeper look, better (but still poo poo) ELINT capability, more controllers, etc.

There are noticeable differences, but frankly we manage to avoid most of the situations where it becomes painfully obvious. I don't know if it's feasible to go back and look up how Iraq was divided among C2 agencies, but if you can find a slideshow somewhere on CENTCOM/CENTAF's sites you'll start to get an idea. I know they're still around, nobody cleans that poo poo out.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

vulturesrow posted:

Maybe I've had bad experiences with E-2 crews, but they seem to get task saturated way faster, which makes sense given the crew size. I've seen operations which were going just fine with an E-3 fall apart soon after the E-2 takes the airspace and finds themselves dealing with a far busier battle than they were ready for.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That can happen to anyone, and it absolutely happens to the E-3 as well...but every time I've seen it it's been a brand-new crew on their first 1-2 flights controlling half the aircraft in Afghanistan or something like that. After a little while they get the handle on the situation, which includes all new callsigns they dont know, procedures they've only done in the simulator for a couple of hours tops, and senior agencies breathing down their necks and poo poo rolls downhill to the scope operators. By the end of the second flight, half the crew is in the back at any given time waiting for their chicken nuggets to get out of the oven, just dicking around, or doing pushups or whatever kills the boredom.

It's always busier than you're ready for. If it's not, it's about to be.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Crescendo posted:

Yep, you're all wrong, the F-5 is the most fighter-jet looking fighter-jet. :madmax:

Sleek lines, long pointy nose, nimble, stubby little straked wings with AIM-9s on the tips. It just screams pure utilitarian fighter.

Even better when it became the F-20.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Powercube posted:

Bad news everyone, the PKAF has grounded their Mig-19s: http://m.yna.co.kr/mob2/en/contents_en.jsp?domain=3&ctype=A&site=0100000000&cid=AEN20140730002800315&mobile

The Mig-15s, however, are still flying. :cry:

Would a Mig-15 or Mig-19 even notice an F-18 before it enters pulverization range?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Nope. A Scan Odd radar probably wouldn't see a Hornet until about 8 miles or so. Maybe less.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
When you're talking fighter jets, eight miles is what, 30 seconds or so?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Assuming a mutual closing velocity of Mach 1.8 at 20,000 feet, it's 22 seconds, yeah.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Half that because it's the missile closing speed you care about. Even less time head on. You ded son.

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

I don't like that dude... I don't like THAT DUDE!

evil_bunnY posted:

Half that because it's the missile closing speed you care about. Even less time head on. You ded son.

That's assuming USFK and ROK forces haven't noticed the 1950's style mobilization tactics DPRK uses- found out it was for real this time, and waltzed in with tacit air dominance to take them out on the ground.

Remember, the AN-2 and LI-2 are still part of the PKAF. They are fighting 1958's war.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Godholio posted:

That's because an E-2 has a very limited piece of the pie. In a pinch the AWACS can take over for the ASOC(Antarctic and Southern Ocean Coalition), TAOC(The Art Of Conversation.com), or AOC(http://us.aoc.com/)

Thanks for making your reply a bunch of indecipherable bullshit.

Spergs like you are the reason my ATC thread is useless.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

The Ferret King posted:

Air support operations center
Tactical air operations center. A usmc thing.
Air operations center. See also jaoc or caoc as needed.

A naval aviator ought to know these things.

Edit: is Kodiak the training E-3 squadron?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

The Ferret King posted:

If only there was an acronym you could add to your Google search of those terms to indicate you were interested in them within the context of an Airborne Warning and Control System.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Powercube posted:

That's assuming USFK and ROK forces haven't noticed the 1950's style mobilization tactics DPRK uses- found out it was for real this time, and waltzed in with tacit air dominance to take them out on the ground.

Remember, the AN-2 and LI-2 are still part of the PKAF. They are fighting 1958's war.

Oh come on the AN-2 is a STOL utility plane. The huey is the same age and believe or not is still used by the US army (for training).

Incidentally, the AN-2 vs CIA Huey "dogfight" is still like the best thing ever.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PCjr sidecar posted:

If only there was an acronym you could add to your Google search of those terms to indicate you were interested in them within the context of an Airborne Warning and Control System.

He's just pointing out how unfriendly it is to non aviation nerds. Unfortunately we're only half a step above the eagle dynamics forum for that so...

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Why make people work so hard for it if not to exclude open participation?

The possibility of accessing the relevant information with additional keywords does not make the discussion less spergy.

EDIT: You spergs.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

mlmp08 posted:

The average reader of this thread isn't a naval aviator, though. I'm guilty of dropping the occasional acronym myself, but if there's five of them in a sentence, googling gets tedious, you know?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

hobbesmaster posted:

Incidentally, the AN-2 vs CIA Huey "dogfight" is still like the best thing ever.

Oh man I haven't heard about that one.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

hobbesmaster posted:

Beaten but, uh, I would definitely like to know more.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Terrible Robot posted:

Beaten but, uh, I would definitely like to know more.

StandardVC10 posted:

Oh man I haven't heard about that one.

quote:

On 12 January 1968, four North Vietnamese Air Force AN-2 Colt biplanes lifted off from an airfield in northeastern North Vietnam and headed west toward Laos. The aircraft were on a mission to destroy a US radar base that was guiding bombers in attacks against targets in North Vietnam. Known to the Americans as Site 85, the radar facility was perched atop a 5,800-foothigh mountain, Phou Pha Thi. Manned by US Air Force volunteers “sheepdipped” as employees of the Lockheed Aircraft Corporation, the site had been in operation only a few months. The mountain, used for many years as a staging base for CIA-directed Hmong guerilla fighters and American special operations and rescue helicopters, was only 125 nautical miles from Hanoi. Air America, a CIA-proprietary, provided aerial support for the facility, the technicians, and the security forces.

The Colts reached Site 85 early in the afternoon, and two began bombing and strafing passes as the others circled nearby. Coincidentally, Air America captain Ted Moore, flying a UH-1D Huey helicopter carrying ammunition to the site, saw the attack (“It looked like World War I,” he recalled.) and gave chase to a Colt as it turned back to the Vietnamese border. Moore positioned his helicopter above the biplane, as crewman Glenn Woods fired an AK-47 rifle down on it. The pursuit continued for more than 20 minutes until the second AN-2 flew underneath the helicopter. Dropping back, Moore and Woods watched as the first AN-2 dropped and crashed into a ridge just west of the North Vietnamese border. Minutes later, the second Colt hit the side of a mountain three miles farther north. The other Colts escaped, inactive observers throughout. Within hours a CIA-controlled ground team reached the crashed aircraft and found bullet holes in the downed planes.

In the mists of the Annamite Mountains and part of a secret war, Air America employees Ted Moore and Glenn Woods gained the distinction of having shot down a fixed-wing aircraft from a helicopter, a singular aerial victory in the Vietnam War. Two months later, North Vietnamese commandos attacked and destroyed Site 85, inflicting the deadliest single ground loss of US Air Force personnel of the Vietnam War.

On 27 July 2007, CIA officially received An Air Combat First in an event attended by members of the Air America Board; pilot Ted Moore; Sawang Reed, the wife of flight mechanic Glenn Woods; CIA paramilitary legend Bill Lair; and the donors of the painting, former Air America officers Marius Burke and Boyd D. Mesecher

A++ Vietnam

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

The Ferret King posted:

Defining those three acronyms isn't going to help anyone that doesn't already know what those agencies are, how they normally interact, and what the context is. When it comes to things like airport codes then sure, type it out, but occasionally people that know a lot about certain areas of aviation are going to discuss things that the average goon will probably not understand in, y'know, the aviation thread. Should we not discuss anything that the average goon will not be able to immediately comprehend? Sometimes, like with this very post, you need to just use your scroll wheel and move on to the next post.

- A concerned KLIT poster

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Prop Wash posted:

Defining those three acronyms isn't going to help anyone that doesn't already know what those agencies are, how they normally interact, and what the context is. When it comes to things like airport codes then sure, type it out, but occasionally people that know a lot about certain areas of aviation are going to discuss things that the average goon will probably not understand in, y'know, the aviation thread. Should we not discuss anything that the average goon will not be able to immediately comprehend? Sometimes, like with this very post, you need to just use your scroll wheel and move on to the next post.

- A concerned KLIT poster

Pretty much this. There is a lot of jargon in this thread. I don't understand half the stuff the maintainers post. I either look it up our move on.

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!
I went down to Genesee Park for day 3 of the Seafair Air Show and (because I am a poor, cheap bastard who doesn't want to pay $35 for a ticket) sat a few blocks south of the viewing stands and watched the show from there with all the rest of the poors/cheaps.

I saw:
  • Alaska Airlines 737-700 doing long, slow loops around the southern end of Lake Washington for some dumb reason.
  • The Screamin' Sasquatch. This is loving awesome AND I HAVE A VIDEO OF IT HERE. Yes it's vertical, because the show was vertical. Suck it.
  • Boeing's 787-9 demonstrator doing two loops over the stands with long, graceful wing-waggles that I somehow managed not to record because I'm a dork.
  • Two fighters from The Flying Heritage Collection diving at the viewing stands. I only have short and lovely video of these, but here goes.
  • A three-hour bus ride to get home.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

mlmp08 posted:

Pretty much this. There is a lot of jargon in this thread. I don't understand half the stuff the maintainers post. I either look it up our move on.

We don't understand it either.

Fly safe!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Powercube posted:

Don't forget the Il-28, a plane that could conceivably become a high-tier end-cap in the Soviet tech tree in War Thunder, and was last considered mildly menacing when the USSR based a good handful of them in Cuba during the Missile Crisis.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I hardly understand any of the posts by the maintainers or whoever the E-3 guy is or the other military people because of the acronym soup and inside jargon. I just look at the pretty pictures.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
If I care: I go look it up.

If I don't care: Highly unlikely cause I love all of this poo poo. but in the unlikely even I will just scroll past.

Carry on. Just don't shoot video vertically with your phones on purpose. :v:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

Edit: is Kodiak the training E-3 squadron?

I don't know if Kodiak is a callsign that's actually used, it doesn't ring a bell. Dragnet is the training squadron. The guys in Alaska use Yukla (flight deck) and Focus (mission crew) as I recall. Kodiak might belong to someone else up there, F-15s or a ground agency maybe.

And yeah, my bad on the acronyms earlier. They're all command and control agencies/headquarters tasked with specific aspects of managing the air war.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Aeronautical Insanity: Official E-3 Appreciation Thread

(In all honesty, I find the stuff about AWACS pretty interesting.)

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

I don't know if Kodiak is a callsign that's actually used, it doesn't ring a bell. Dragnet is the training squadron. The guys in Alaska use Yukla (flight deck) and Focus (mission crew) as I recall. Kodiak might belong to someone else up there, F-15s or a ground agency maybe.

Not that I recall...the GCI guys with ANR use Top Rock and the fighters were generally something associated with the squadron. IIRC it was usually Dice for the 90th and something to do with dogs for the 525 (Bulldog maybe?), can't remember what the Eagle squadrons were...although given the fact that the 19th's patch features a rooster and F-15 pilots are a bunch of children, I'm sure Cock got used at least occasionally.

GCI - Ground Control Interception...using radar(s) on the ground to tell the interceptors where to go.
ANR - Alaska NORAD Region...since NORAD is responsible for air defense for the entirety of the North American continent, it's divided into three regions: Continental US, Canada, and Alaska. Due to its proximity to Russia and its strategic location, ANR does the vast majority of the interception of Russian bombers conducting long range recon flights around the periphery of North America.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Aug 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

LostCosmonaut posted:

Aeronautical Insanity: Official E-3 Appreciation Thread

(In all honesty, I find the stuff about AWACS pretty interesting.)

I don't know that I'd use the word "appreciation"...