Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Flint Ironstag posted:

^^^^^^ I hope there is a story with that pic.
There is.

TLDR it fell off the back of a pickup, driver fined $200 and yelled at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Flint Ironstag posted:

^^^^^^ I hope there is a story with that pic.

Axe Cop got transferred to the highway patrol.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Friar Zucchini posted:

There is.

TLDR it fell off the back of a pickup, driver fined $200 and yelled at.

Only $200? Talk about adding insult to (near) injury. Luckily nobody but an innocent windshield was hurt.

Unrelated, I like how the BBC calls it a lorry even though it happened in the US. OK, I do admit to being easily amused.

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008

Flint Ironstag posted:

Only $200? Talk about adding insult to (near) injury. Luckily nobody but an innocent windshield was hurt.

Unless someone dies nobody really cares, I've had all sorts of crap fall out of trucks like that in front of me, to the point that I make a real effort to stay as far away as possible. Best was the extension ladder that came off a state department of transportation truck while I was on my bike. Police told me they didn't care, and calling the department in question got me a polite "gently caress off", despite having the truck number and license plate.

V I'd thought it was a steel plate, but look's like it was actually a piece of furniture of some kind. It's still not enforced all that well, I see sketchy stuff regularly but speeding tickets seem to be a much higher priority for some reason unless there's been a recent news piece about it.

drzrma fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Aug 1, 2014

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Washington state used to have really lax laws regarding secured loads. That all changed when a cinder block (I think?) Fell off a truck and struck a woman driving behind; blinding her. After the lawsuit the laws were changed.

If that happened here, there would have been a $5,000 fine at the minimum.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Also not responsible for your soiled pants when you see an axe coming at you at 70mph.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

"Not responsible for spraying machine gun fire in your direction."

"Not responsible for feeding your kids meth."

"Not responsible for setting your house on fire."

If I stick it on my rear bumper that's legally binding, right?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Hikaki posted:

Also not responsible for your soiled pants when you see an axe coming at you at 70mph.

Says the moron without his roll tarp pulled over his load.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Solar Coaster posted:

Washington state used to have really lax laws regarding secured loads. That all changed when a cinder block (I think?) Fell off a truck and struck a woman driving behind; blinding her. After the lawsuit the laws were changed.

If that happened here, there would have been a $5,000 fine at the minimum.

I'm not sure the fine is that much, cause I see at least 1 to 6 dump trucks in everett every day who can't be arsed to bother using the goddamned cover that is built into their trucks.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Chinatown posted:

Says the moron without his roll tarp pulled over his load.

Seriously. I'm amazed how few of these are actually in use. I guess most people think that they can't claim damages from stuff coming off a dump truck because of the sticker. In most cases they're right, simply because it's impossible to prove. Get a dashcam!

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I saw a landscaping van drive by yesterday.

It's not unusual to see these with the side door left open, but a guy chilling inside with a recliner was a new one for me.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Great Beer posted:

I saw a landscaping van drive by yesterday.

It's not unusual to see these with the side door left open, but a guy chilling inside with a recliner was a new one for me.

That's the original prototype of Google Streetview.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Seattle_Eastside_Parking.jpg

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CharlieWhiskey posted:

That's the original prototype of Google Streetview.

Yeah it's just a guy who comes and views your street while Googling himself.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Speaking of Streetview, one of their cars drove through my street yesterday. It's a one-way street, guess which way it was going :v:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Nothing really dangerous as such, but there's something about 16th Ave in Calgary that I just noticed and I can't figure out. Despite the clearly-marked changes in speed limit (60->90->70->90) heading east out of the city, people will usually just go 60-70 until they leave the city limits, where it goes up to 110. Why? Why not at least try to maintain the speed limit or something close to it? It happened in a more limited way coming back in, with an added helping of "idiot you just passed going 110 in the 110 zone now passing you going 110 in a 70 zone."

Do people not even bother to watch for speed limit changes? That's the only thing I can think of; these signs must just be entirely ignored by a major segment of the driving population.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

PT6A posted:

Nothing really dangerous as such, but there's something about 16th Ave in Calgary that I just noticed and I can't figure out. Despite the clearly-marked changes in speed limit (60->90->70->90) heading east out of the city, people will usually just go 60-70 until they leave the city limits, where it goes up to 110. Why? Why not at least try to maintain the speed limit or something close to it? It happened in a more limited way coming back in, with an added helping of "idiot you just passed going 110 in the 110 zone now passing you going 110 in a 70 zone."

Do people not even bother to watch for speed limit changes? That's the only thing I can think of; these signs must just be entirely ignored by a major segment of the driving population.

They're probably too busy loving around on their phone or something equally dangerous to even notice the sign.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Protocol7 posted:

They're probably too busy loving around on their phone or something equally dangerous to even notice the sign.

Or trying to not get pulled over in the worlds most obvious speed trap.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I find my sense of what is appropriate changes depending on where I was just driving. If I'm driving in town and it's 40 mph, I'll do 40-45. If I just got off the interstate after two hours at 70, 40 "feels" slow and I'll be wanting to go 50+.

Going south on I-55, it goes from 55 to 70. Takes me a bit to get into the groove of doing 70. Going north, it takes me a bit to get in the groove of doing 55.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Great Beer posted:

Which would make sense if PT6A wasn't bitching about people coasting along in a 70 zone going 110, and for that matter, I know a few places like that I frequently drive on in Denver and I rarely, if ever, see a cop there.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Uthor posted:

I find my sense of what is appropriate changes depending on where I was just driving. If I'm driving in town and it's 40 mph, I'll do 40-45. If I just got off the interstate after two hours at 70, 40 "feels" slow and I'll be wanting to go 50+.

Going south on I-55, it goes from 55 to 70. Takes me a bit to get into the groove of doing 70. Going north, it takes me a bit to get in the groove of doing 55.

Doesn't matter, you're going to be slowing down to 40 at Weber Rd anyways. :/

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

PT6A posted:

I dunno what it is about Chestermere but it's like a tightly packed powder keg of terrible driving. I can only assume that's somehow the cause.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
Here's a nice example of road safety that passed me on the highway on my way home last thursday:

The driver was not braking, as he had been driving like this in front of me for quite some time. I passed him while getting on the highway and not too much later he passed me again. Must have been some terrible lighting hackjob as I never saw the actual brake lights light up.

Got a bit of video out of it too but it's not entertaining enough to post here.

To top it off he had a burned-out headlight on the same side as well.

EDIT: Now with video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgQHHiyY6xw

Smoke fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 4, 2014

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I think VWs of that era were well known for brake sensor issues, as well as eating head and tail light bulbs frequently.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
A VW with electrical problems? Never heard of that before.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Chinatown posted:

A VW with electrical problems? Never heard of that before.

Surely they jest!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Great Beer posted:

Yeah, I got pulled over in one of those once in college. 80km/h two-lane country highway, a road where the police don't even notice you if you're going less 15 over, so I was driving 93. Then there's this little podunk town of like 300 people up ahead at the end of a long straight. I kept going 93 but they'd stuck the town's 50km/h sign way out next to a cornfield, a good kilometer or two before the first building, with no obvious change in the road conditions. So I passed the sign going 43 over and got dinged by a policeman waiting up ahead at the single intersection in the town.

Got a warning, though. I think he saw the bouquet of flowers on the passenger seat of my shitbox MX-3 and realized that I was just a poor college student trying to get to Ottawa to woo a girl and a $1000+ ticket for a kind of bullshit charge would really ruin my day. Thanks, nice cop.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.
Merging onto the A73 from the A77, my car decides that it doesn't really want to go anymore. So I pulled into the service station at the end of the on-ramp and waited for the ANWB (our AAA equivalent) to come help me out.
Having diagnosed that one of the two ignition coils has poo poo the bed, causing intermittant failure of cylinders 1 and 4, the ANWB man and I decide to flat tow the car to an ANWB service point about 10km down the highway.
Being towed with a rope at 75kph is not exactly my idea of a good time.

But of course there has to be some oval office in a SsangYong, with a huge gently caress off bullbar on the front, who is paying more attention to his phone than to traffic. Though you have to be an immense oval office to not notice a car with 4-way flashers on, with an amber rotating light stuck on top, being towed by a bright yellow service vehicle which has a full bar of amber strobes on the roof.
So many blinking amber lights and yet he still felt it was perfectly sane/safe to tail gate me to the point where in all three my mirrors I saw nothing but the offensively hideous SsangYong. What the gently caress is wrong with people like that.

Worst part is, there is never a cop to file an art.130 procedure against someone like that when you need them. Clearly the guy in that SsangYong is not mentally capable of driving a motorvehicle.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Deedle posted:

Merging onto the A73 from the A77, my car decides that it doesn't really want to go anymore. So I pulled into the service station at the end of the on-ramp and waited for the ANWB (our AAA equivalent) to come help me out.
Having diagnosed that one of the two ignition coils has poo poo the bed, causing intermittant failure of cylinders 1 and 4, the ANWB man and I decide to flat tow the car to an ANWB service point about 10km down the highway.
Being towed with a rope at 75kph is not exactly my idea of a good time.

But of course there has to be some oval office in a SsangYong, with a huge gently caress off bullbar on the front, who is paying more attention to his phone than to traffic. Though you have to be an immense oval office to not notice a car with 4-way flashers on, with an amber rotating light stuck on top, being towed by a bright yellow service vehicle which has a full bar of amber strobes on the roof.
So many blinking amber lights and yet he still felt it was perfectly sane/safe to tail gate me to the point where in all three my mirrors I saw nothing but the offensively hideous SsangYong. What the gently caress is wrong with people like that.

Worst part is, there is never a cop to file an art.130 procedure against someone like that when you need them. Clearly the guy in that SsangYong is not mentally capable of driving a motorvehicle.

I thought perhaps the other driver was going to attempt to merge in-between you and the truck. That'd be a hell of a thing.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
This just happened in front of my office...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Tony Hawk's Pro Minivan 2.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Is that firefighting foam, or did the minivan accidentally drive into a Spy Hunter level?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Geirskogul posted:

Is that firefighting foam, or did the minivan accidentally drive into a Spy Hunter level?

Not sure exactly, we didn't get out there in time to see. There were three distinct explosions though!

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Saw some content today. Note the tread marks.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Willfrey posted:

This is amazing.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no

Willfrey posted:

Parking's Hard

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Willfrey posted:

They almost got it parked within the lines. Then again the Charger next to it has done an awful job as well.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
So they clearly clipped the pole and broke a tie rod end/ball joint? Then immediately tried to turn in sharply, hitting the side of the vehicle again, then parked.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Something like that sort of happened in the student parking lot back in high school. Middle of winter up in Alaska so every driving surface has two inches of snow/ice on top of it, kid convinced his parents to let him drive the family's brand new F-150 to school.

He decides to spin donuts during lunch to show off how awesome the truck is, and slams nose first into a pole that looked an awful lot like the one in that photo. Nailed it dead center.. the Ford emblem in the middle of the grill was bent in half.

Didn't get to witness the wreck but I saw the aftermath, truck was slowly dripping every fluid it had available onto the parking lot while one scared little kid tried to come up with a way to break the news to his parents.

Parents, only let your kids drive beaters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Geirskogul posted:

So they clearly clipped the pole and broke a tie rod end/ball joint? Then immediately tried to turn in sharply, hitting the side of the vehicle again, then parked.

My guess is the driver was drunk, hosed up his ride, parked it and left. He clipped it with his front tire, the front bumper looked untouched so he must of had it cranked over pretty far, in the wrong goddamn lane of a walmart parking lot.