Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The Boss becomes a god and you play on his plane of paradise. Arch Angel Miller resents his creative power and tries to usurp his throne.
A constant battle of creation and destruction where the winner is decided by who makes the most stripper poles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

As much as I love Saint's Row I'd rather Volition followed their hearts and made a new game but applied the lessons they learned making Saint's Row to it, rather than making endless biannual open-world games because :regd08:.

Can you imagine what it would be like if Volition returned to their roots and made a space combat game or an RPG but kept the "fun > everything" attitude of Saint's Row? Or what the player character and story would be like if they satirized their respective genre as well as Saint's Row did with The Boss being a complete murderous sociopath to make fun of the dissonant "I don't wanna be a criminal :cry: -kills a million cops and then blows up the Hoover Dam-" storytelling of the GTA games?

Something Elite Dangerous-esque with SR humor/fun would be amazing

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Persona 3 FES: Aigis lost a little something in her transition from quirky sidekick to player character for "The Answer" extra campaign, but her amusingly weird running animation is even better when you're steering her around directly rather than having her follow you.

StandardVC10 has a new favorite as of 02:11 on Aug 4, 2014

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Sonic Unleashed is mostly a pretty bad game, but it has a hilarious little thing on the results screen at the end of the level.

Normally, as it counts your score and gives you a rank it plays this music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTTaVeEgK4I

However, if you get the lowest rank (an E) it plays this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yODLkaF8F-Y

I've never heard "Well done (not really, you suck)" done so well in musical form.

Spalec has a new favorite as of 02:05 on Aug 4, 2014

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Spalec posted:

I've never heard "Well done (not really, you suck)" done so well in musical form.
Kirby Triple Deluxe does something similar in the end-of-level bonus game. If you ace the game, Kirby will do his little dance, accompanied by music. If you do okay, he does a shortened version of the dance, accompanied by a shorter, softer version of the song. If you really fail, though, he starts doing the dance, but his expression rapidly wilts, and he dances less and less energetically until he just sort of sags at the end. I think it's the same tune as the okay result, but the way he dances leaves you feeling very 'you tried' about the whole thing.

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

This isn't specific to one game though I think I noticed it first in borderlands 2.

I like when if you're inactive too long the game characters start making comments.

I got up to go to the bathroom and I could hear the game giving me grief. Totally surprised me.

I like to play drunk sometimes. Wish games would comment if you do something really dumb "are you drunk?"

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
I remember stuff like that from ages ago. I think there was a Sonic game on the Genesis where he'd tap the fourth wall to get your attention if you were idle too long.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

You're most likely thinking of Sonic CD where if you sat idle for too long Sonic would commit suicide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48_S5WpHIXE

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I was playing Arkham Origins today. During one post game mission, your target sings "jingle bells, Batman smells" and Batman's response was amazing.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Buzkashi posted:

I remember stuff like that from ages ago. I think there was a Sonic game on the Genesis where he'd tap the fourth wall to get your attention if you were idle too long.

All the Genesis games Sonic check his watch and sigh while staring at the player as part of the idle animation.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

donkey salami posted:

This isn't specific to one game though I think I noticed it first in borderlands 2.

I like when if you're inactive too long the game characters start making comments.

I got up to go to the bathroom and I could hear the game giving me grief. Totally surprised me.

The best version of this is in Saints Row 2. There are some standard ones, like leaning against a nearby wall to smoke a cigarette or have a drink, but there are a whole lot of locations around the city where the idle activity changes to something related to where you are, like joining in with people engaging in some activity in that area or using some object or equipment in the environment.

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

cobalt impurity posted:

All the Genesis games Sonic check his watch and sigh while staring at the player as part of the idle animation.

I used to make sure he was standing right on the edge of the pod-thing's spring release when I finished a zone so he would do the "almost going to fall" animation. I couldn't stand letting him idle and then stare at me with that irritated look in his eyes while my score was counted up. :ohdear:

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

tribbledirigible posted:

This is going to happen 15 minutes in your first playthrough after you accidentally have a fender bender with a cop. The whole city is going to have get rebuilt continuously for you to not have a story set in a still flaming crater.

In a series that relies goofy surrealism like Saints Row, I don't think "hey, I tipped that skyscraper over on top of that hospital ten minutes ago but now it's back" is going to bother me.

More like, "cool, next time I can tip it the other way into the police department."

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I tried to scan a Pushmo World code into Pushmo 3DS because I heard hey were backwards compatible and even though it seems they aren't the old dude at the QR code station ingame said to me, 'I don't recognize this code, is it from he future?' :3:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Wild T posted:

In a series that relies goofy surrealism like Saints Row, I don't think "hey, I tipped that skyscraper over on top of that hospital ten minutes ago but now it's back" is going to bother me.

More like, "cool, next time I can tip it the other way into the police department."

Watch Dogs took itself very seriously and still had burst steam pipes magically repair themselves in minutes. No one will mind.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

One kinda subtle thing about ACII, Brotherhood and Revelations that I like is that Ezio, as he gets older, supplements his body's abilities with technology.

In ACII, he's young and sprightly, so he can run around, leap upwards from a hanging position and all that jazz.

In ACB he's a little older, so he'll need a metal glove upgrade before he can climb-leap. (Also, the first objective in Rome is to get painkillers for his injuries.)

In ACR he gets the hookblade to make him able to climb-leap and get onto rooftops.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Press X to use Hidden Gun.

:unsmith:

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Wild T posted:

Oh, I wasn't worried about ruining immersion. I was just stating that as a fact. I had level 5 Police/ level 3 Ronin just getting to the courthouse to get Gat in my very first SR2 playthorugh.

It will be explosions in, explosions out.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

LoonShia posted:

One kinda subtle thing about ACII, Brotherhood and Revelations that I like is that Ezio, as he gets older, supplements his body's abilities with technology.

In ACII, he's young and sprightly, so he can run around, leap upwards from a hanging position and all that jazz.

In ACB he's a little older, so he'll need a metal glove upgrade before he can climb-leap. (Also, the first objective in Rome is to get painkillers for his injuries.)

In ACR he gets the hookblade to make him able to climb-leap and get onto rooftops.

You also notice it in his body language during fights sometimes, like he'll drop his sword then it one motion he'll kick it back up and go back to fighting.

They did a great job with Ezio honestly. His story was fantastic.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Wild T posted:

They can actually make a joke, blaming all the social and economic problems on that the fact that they constantly spend money trying to rebuild everything, and it would make perfect sense in the Saints setting.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
Of course, another possible angle, if they went the space opera sci-fi route, would be to have the buildings just straight-up regenerate Red Faction Armageddon-style.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Speaking of Red Faction, I like how they had to spend a lot of time to tune the buildings for Guerrilla. Modellers are lovely architects and the structures couldn't hold their own weight with a sophisticated physics engine.

Also I like to drive my truck through the walls.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Pretty sure that was a bunch of marketing bullshit.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Usually it's not a good idea to have real architects design game spaces. They did that for Oni and while all the places were plausible structures, they were too realistic for their own good and filled with huge spaces that took far too long to traverse or hallways dotted with half a dozen empty side rooms.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

Not going to lie, but that scene alone made Altair ten times cooler, directly.. Master Assassin, indeed.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

So I'm playing the poo poo out of Titan Quest lately, and one of my favorite little touches is how between every zone is a pair of torches which light up when you come near them. It makes it so much easier to know which direction makes progress and which does not, which is great whether you want to rush ahead or explore completely. It's not as consequential as it might be because TQ doesn't have a random map, but when you're new to the game/have forgotten the layouts, it's such a lovely way to unobtrusively guide the player.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

poptart_fairy posted:

I liked that Altair turns up fully ready to throw down with the entire brotherhood, and almost all of them are just all too happy to welcome him home :allears:.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

I've been playing Murdered: Soul Suspect, a detective ghost story set in Salem Massachusetts, and of my favourite details about the game is that there are a bunch of ghosts that will appear in areas that flicker away if you put the camera on them for too long.

It does a really good job of building a haunted atmosphere for the setting, even if it isn't really a horror game.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Revelations isn't a bad game really. It gives you a nice sendoff of both Altair and Ezio.

In that game, I also like that unlocking shops gives you a bit of notoriety. As well it should.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
The part in the first Kingdom Hearts (the only one worth playing) where, near the end, you go through a door and find yourself flying in some dark place. You approach a huge mountain and suddenly Night on Bald Mountain starts to play, as red eyes gleam, and Satan unfurls his wings for a sweet boss fight right out of Fantasia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCEDfZgDPS8

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I like the loading screen of the Last of Us:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

BottledBodhisvata posted:

The part in the first Kingdom Hearts (the only one worth playing) where, near the end, you go through a door and find yourself flying in some dark place. You approach a huge mountain and suddenly Night on Bald Mountain starts to play, as red eyes gleam, and Satan unfurls his wings for a sweet boss fight right out of Fantasia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCEDfZgDPS8

That was the most from out of loving nowhere thing in that entire game for me who had never heard about Fantasia. Just bam, Satan out of a volcano. :iia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2A4NnWRXrY

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Alhazred posted:

I like the loading screen of the Last of Us:

I haven't played the game so maybe I just don't get it, but is this supposed to be an amorphous black blob with lensflare?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I haven't played the game so maybe I just don't get it, but is this supposed to be an amorphous black blob with lensflare?

It's a puff of fungal spores drifting onto the screen. It loses a lot when shrunk down to gif size.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

haveblue posted:

It's a puff of fungal spores drifting onto the screen. It loses a lot when shrunk down to gif size.

Ahhhh, gotcha.

Latest contribution: I just beat the Mass Effect trilogy for the first time. I actually kinda liked the ending, even after years of nerds telling me how much I was going to hate it and how Bioware was worse than hitler. It did get a lot lamer when I looked up the alternate endings and realized the real reason it's bad (aside from lack of closure).

While the ME series could have its own "little things" thread by itself, the biggest thing I love about it is how clearly and strongly it was influenced by Star Control 2. I had that feeling the whole time, and the Stargazer epilogue HAD to be a deliberate homage to SC2. Hell, the events of SC2 could even be the pre-Reaper-cycle galaxy if you wanted to take it that far (except for the fact that humans are already in space).

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Satan [...] right out of Fantasia.

Chernobog. The demon in Fantasia and Kingdom Hearts is not Satan, it's Chernobog.

e: :goonsay:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Ahhhh, gotcha.

Latest contribution: I just beat the Mass Effect trilogy for the first time. I actually kinda liked the ending, even after years of nerds telling me how much I was going to hate it and how Bioware was worse than Hitler.
That ending can never have the same impact now that everyone's been screaming about how much it sucks for two years. It's sort of the opposite effect of something being disappointing after the hype. At the time though, wowee!
Give the extended cut a shot BTW, it adds a bunch of other little things, my favourite of which is When the crucible lights up Hackett yells at all the ships to bug out, cut to Joker who is clearly ignoring him because he doesn't want to leave Shepard behind. The character you've talked to most in the game grabs him and says "dude we gotta go!" and Joker looks really sad, says "drat it" and looks away from the controls as he presses the button that makes the ship fly away. :(

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Just due to everyone talking about Dishonoured earlier, I thought the thread might like to know that starting on August 16 you can download it for free on XBox 360, as part of their Games with Gold program.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

10 Beers posted:

Just due to everyone talking about Dishonoured earlier, I thought the thread might like to know that starting on August 16 you can download it for free on XBox 360, as part of their Games with Gold program.

Holy poo poo, gently caress yes. Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Nearing the end of Dark Souls II, and it's pulled off a genuinely very, very clever way to subtly direct the player.

Near the end of the game, you enter the memories of trees formed out of giant's corpses in the first proper zone in the game. There's three of them accessible, but no clear direction as to where they are... until you find one. They actually form a circuit, silently pointing you towards each other.

-One of them is behind a door opened by the King's Ring. It sends you to a memory set near where you fought the Pursuer, the area's second boss.
-Near the Pursuer's arena is another one. Its memory is set around the fortress where you first met Pate, the NPC that gives you the white soapstone.
-And just around there is where the third giant tree is. Its memory is of somewhere that got thoroughly wrecked in the battle and looks quite different now, but if you're keen-eyed you can still identify it as being around the walls where the King's Ring door now is.