Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl
...The traces of the supernatural let themselves be found much more often than the educated and the enlightened are comfortable with. From prehistoric times come chimaeras that were worshiped by our ancestors hundreds of years ago. Ashes fall on us from the low hanging clouds, dropped haphazardly by the directors of our fate.
...They hide below us, above us and among us, until we turn our sight straight towards their cunning eyes, and then they, having been found, for a moment, become flesh and blood. Then, they die, but, in their dying agony, they tear at the fabric of the surrounding world, which they rightfully consider to be their plaything...

THE MEAT OF IT ALL

Pathologic is a first-person adventure game, developed in 2005 by Ice-Pick Lodge, a ragtag indie developer from Russia who are responsible for a number of other great games, which includine The Void, Cargo! The Quest for Gravity and their latest creation Knock-Knock. Ice-Pick Lodge have a penchant for creating unusual, hard-to-get-into games that reward those who take time to immerse themselves in them with nuance, wit and a trip they won't forget for a while.

Pathologic itself, in my opinion, is their best creation yet.

Set in a haunting, half-magic half-real town, the game features three characters taking on a deadly plague that threatens to wipe a small steppe town from the face of the earth in 12 days. The game's mechanics are harsh and rigid - something that will surely turn off a great many of gamers. One cannot blame them, either, for Pathologic is not, by any means, an enjoyable game in the conventional sense of the word. You have to keep track of a great many a stat and do so while performing daily tasks, as well as side-mission given to you by NPCs. The character moves at a leisurely pace, the supplies are hard to come across and managing your time in an efficient manner without having previous experience is an absolute nightmare.

The game isn't particularly fun to play, but it's certainly much more fun to watch. Quite unfortunately, the official English translation is utterly abysmal, which means that not a lot of English-speaking folks got to enjoy the game properly, if at all. Quite fortunately, however, I happen to be a native Russian speaker with a lot of time on my hands and a love for translating obscure, off-the-wall things and I am happy to oblige those interested in the continued exploration of Pathologic. My English is on the good side, or so I might hope, but if you find something glaring in the translation, or you happen object to any stylistic choices that I might make, please don't hesitate let me know.

There has already been an LP of Pathologic, from the point of view of Impostress, made by one and only woodenchicken. He has done an excellent job of it and you can find it here. Please don't hesitate to read it - you can do so before reading this LP or afterwards, or during - whichever way you desire.

Since I'm not at all sure that I will be going for an LP of Bachelor's and Impostress' scenarios, I have decided, with woodenchicken's blessing, to adhere to the same formatting conventions and reuse some of the assets from his LP. The idea behind this is to try and make them a connected experience, of a sort. The reason I'm playing through Haruspex's scenario is because that is the one that hasn't been played through for the pleasure of SA LP readers yet, and I think it would be both stylistically satisfying and slightly less legwork for me (absolutely not the reason I'm doing this, no sir) to keep the format and some of the assets the same.

This means the following
- Dialogue will be accompanied by characters' portraits.
- Italicized text indicates the various writings found in diaries, journals and letters that will be accrued during the playthrough.
- Bolded text will indicate the flavour pieces written by yours truly to set the mood and provide my own thoughts on the plot and characters' thoughts and motivations.
- Text in the screenshots above characters' heads indicates dialogue lines that are spoken by the characters once, when you approach them but before initiating the dialogue. They are fairly ephemeral and seem to adress no one in particular, but they are still worth paying great attention to.
- Film icon indicates the cutscenes - infrequent and rather ugly guests that aren't doing very well in our decade and are there to occasionally expand the story.
- Soundtrack icons will be occasionally included and clicking them is recommended for proper mood adjustment.

MEET THE HARUSPEX

Artemiy Burakh, or, as the game refers to him, the Haruspex, is a man deeply rooted in the local folklore and tradition but is also a man who has been uprooted. Sent away to study and practice medicine by his father, Isidore Burakh, Artemiy is listless, traveling from town to town and practicing his medical and surgical skills, all the while waiting for that moment when he can finally return home. Artemiy belongs to a lineage of menkhu - servants of the Order and the only ones who are, according to the local customs, allowed to dissect corpses of living beings and harvest their organs. One day, Artemiy receives a letter from his father, warning him of a coming danger and urging him to swiftly return home. Upon doing so, Artemiy finds out that his father is dead, gets blamed for a murderer of another man and is forced to fight to restore his name and to uncover the nature of the doom that is about to engulf his hometown.

Unlike the Impostress, Haruspex is a man of few words who is much more straightforward, although cruel sarcasm here and occasional witty remark there aren't all that alien to him. Nevertheless, there are several features that set him apart from the other two characters - features that tie in with his menkhu acumen. His scenario is also much more combat heavy and a bit harder than Bachelor's, although he isn't forced to do as much fetching as poor Impostress is.

Haruspex's scenario is called The Sacrifice.

THE ORDER OF THINGS
1)Despite the visibility of choice in the dialogue, the game isn't particularly branching and, as such, I will be picking the options that are the most interesting or are the ones that show the most.
2)Having previously read the Impostress LP, some readers, armed with prior knowledge of some of the happenings in the town, might be tempted to drop spoilers at the mere presence of foreshadowing - and there will be quite a lot of it, too. Please, No Major Spoilers ahead of time . There aren't many, but there are a couple.
3)I won't be showing most of the combat and gathering gameplay I'll be engaging in - mostly because it's fairly bland and poorly done and also because there is a lot of it and it can get quite tedious - especially in Haruspex's scenario.
4)Chapters correspond with days and will be broken up into several parts. The number of parts is uneven, as some days are meatier than the rest.

With most of the clerical stuff over, let us be off.

REEL 1: The Funeral, Once More

Table of Contents

Chapter One - Part 1

Chapter One - Part 2

Chapter One - Part 3

Addendum A - The Nightly Attractions

Chapter Two - Part 1

Chapter Two - Part 2

Chapter Three - Part 1

Chapter Three - Part 2

Chapter Four

Chapter Five - Part 1

Chapter Five - Part 2

Chapter Six - Part 1

Chapter Six - Part 2

Chapter Seven - Part 1

Chapter Seven - Part 2

Chapter Eight - Part 1

Chapter Eight - Part 2

Chapter Eight - Part 3

Chapter Nine - Part 1

Chapter Nine - Part 2

Chapter Ten - Part 1

Chapter Ten - Part 2

Chapter Eleven

Chapter Twelve - Part 1

Chapter Twelve - Part 2

HellishWhiskers fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl
How do they summon the menkhu, those of the lineage of servants? By their hands they know them, the butchers. By their eyes they distinguish them, the surgeons, the healers of lines, the chieftains of Order, those who speak with udurgs, those who know the art of haruspicy. Who is called the haruspex? The diviner of entrails, he knows that the body is like the Universe. His scalpel follows the lines of the body, his feet follow the lines of the fate of his kin. They are entrusted with power, when they know which line they are to choose. They are buried deep into the black flesh of the earth when they lose their way.

This is a story of a man who walked away from a contradiction that threatened to destroy a doomed life and masterfully executed his true purpose.

Appendices

Things like the explanation of game mechanics and other various miscellanea.

APPENDIX A - The Theatre Scene

The scene occurs before you pick which character to play as.

So, you are an adherent of cunning? Where do the likes of you come from?

No, I don't like trickery, but if they want to trick us, then the situation unties our hands... What is this place that we've all ended up in ?

Well, the muscles are contracting. That means that we are already inside him. Feels like one of the ventricles.

What a stupid place. This is just a dummy! That means none of this is real. It hasn't started, not yet.

I don't care what he is made of. It's perfectly clear that something isn't right. We'll have to perform a transverse section. Cut open the wall, otherwise we won't get out of here. What else is there to do?

I know what to do! The one who will be tricked is the one who will act with honesty and straightforwardness. Only a miracle will let us get out of here and not ruin anything in the process, and I'm the only one here who can make miracles. Untie my hands.

Be quiet, for the love of God. You are a thief and a liar. How are we to trust you if you are lying even to yourself. My idol is the Truth. Whatever else happens, I will find the truth and will act justly. I will be operating.

Don't order us around, egghead. You will act justly, but your truth will blind you and you will simply kill him. The situation requires the steady hands of a surgeon. Everyone else – step aside.

Your steady hands kill much more often than they heal. You will inevitably cause harm! And this nerd here will never consider the losses. Both of you have no idea what mercy is!

Hmm... it looks like we won't be friends. In truth, though, there is only one Truth.

The Will will make any choice the correct one, that is the truth of it.

Only your heart will tell you which choice is the right one. Think about the sick one, not about yourself. He is suffering. I don't see it yet, but I can feel it.

This isn't even a trap. This is a grave. I have no love for it.

That is perfectly obvious. You are full of hatred. Dummy or no, it is still breathing, I can hear it. Heal it, do not kill it.

How will you not kill it? You will inevitably kill, mark my words. I, however, may not kill.

No, we won't agree on anything. I suggest we split up. The sooner, the better.

So, we split?

We split. The clock is now ticking.

APPENDIX B - MAPS

The town in this game is a very convoluted place – as if it's been designed by a madman, hellbent on torturing any poor player who steps his foot in here. Since a lot of the time will be spent efficiently navigating this town, the world of pain is one that will become very familiar to the player.

The town is split into three major parts – the Project of the Bulls, the Quarters and the Polyhedron.
Project of the Bulls is the industrial part of town and where the longstanding trade mainstay product of the town is packaged – meat.

The town is naturally divided into three boroughs by two tributaries of the major river Gorkhon – Vein and Throat. The three parts form boroughs and are called “The Stone Yard”, - the one by the Polyhedron - “Knots” - the residential area in the middle – and “Land” - the area near the Abattoir.

Each of the three boroughs also has multiple sub-districts. Stone Yard consists of the Crypts, Bridge Square and Folds. The Knots consist of Kidney, Heart, Seat, Rib, Spine, Womb and Muzzle. The Land consists of Skinflints, Tanners, Curriers and Raw Structures.

As you can see, these places are efficiently named, easy to memorize and navigate. There is also nothing malevolent and mysterious going on in this town. Not at all.

APPENDIX C - PLAYER STATS

Reputation – a measure of how well-liked in the Town you are. When it goes below 35%, the Town's shop keepers will refuse to sell things to you. At 30% or below, male passersby will begin randomly attacking you – the lower your reputation is, the likelier it is that you will be attacked.

Health – a common attribute in games, this functions in very much the same way as it does in other games.

Immunity – the measure of your immediate immunity to the effects of the disease. Is raised by various medicine and mixtures and gets lower and higher to a baseline of about 60% over time. Whenever the player character gets in contact with a source of the infection, he/she rolls their immunity stat – the higher the stat is, the higher the chance that he/she will shrug off the infection and walk away unscathed is. If the roll is successful, then the stat is lowered considerably. When you get infected, the stat drops to about 10%.

Hunger – in order to keep alive, one requires food. It takes about 30 in-game hours to go from 0% to 100% hunger. The best way to procure food is to buy it from storekeepers or break into people's houses and steal it from them. If the bar reaches 100%, health will be drained rapidly instead.

Fatigue – once in a while, the player character will need to rest from his daily toils. It takes about 13-15 hours for the bar to go from 0% to 100%. A player character can rest in most of adherents' houses. There are certain items that allow you to reduce the bar such as coffee, but they do so at the cost of health instead. If the bar reaches 100%, health will be drained rapidly instead.

Infection – the measure of how stricken with infection the player character is. Once infected, the player character cannot reduce the bar below 3% unless he uses some very particular items that are very hard to procure. There are certain items that lower the bar, but not below the aforementioned 3%. When a player character is infected, his or her health is constantly drained at a rate corresponding with the infection bar. The effect is not very noticeable at 3%, but at 15%-20% the player character will be dead in two to three hours.

Clothing – there are various articles of clothing available for purchase in the game. Most of these, however, aren't very practical, because the early versions of it break very easily, while the latter cost exorbitant amounts of money for little practical use.

APPENDIX D - The Kickstarter

If you like what you're reading, then you'd be happy to learn that there is an ongoing Kickstarter for a remake of this game. Planned changes include better game systems, expanded plot and better graphics. It has a lofty goal, and it may have a slight trouble reaching it, but you can help make it happen.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1535515364/pathologic

APPENDIX E - The Glossary

Can be found here.

APPENDIX G - The Reader

Nina Kain, the Dark Mistress
Daniil Dankovsky
Victoria Olgimsky, the White Mistress
A Geographical Note, courtesy of woodenchicken

HellishWhiskers fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 30, 2015

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl
Main cast in order of appearance

Artemiy Burakh – The Haruspex

The hero of our story, he arrived into Town after being summoned by his father Isidore. Since arriving here, he has been relentlessly hounded for his reputation as a murderer and a Ripper. Despite being hounded at almost every turn, our hero continues his fight against the disease, all the while trying to follow his father's legacy and take on his duties as the Servitor of the Order.

Notkin

The leader of a gang of kids that goes by the name of Dualsouls. A rash, straightforward youth who, nonetheless, has a great sense of responsibility, loyalty and honour. Fiercely protective of everyone he considers to be a friend.

Strategic, but quite brash and not necessarily intelligent. Has been quite helpful to Artemiy during the entirety of his stay in the Town, although Haruspex had to save him from quite a lot of tight spot. Is feuding with the Dogheads – another gang of kids ruled by Khan that lives in the Polyhedron – and the thieves. One of Artemiy's Adherents.

Kapella: ” Notkin was Khan's best friend. I don't know, exactly, what was the reason for their feuding – I think, it's because Notkin refused to obey him. However, they also say that Notkin was exiled from the Polyhedron by the Mother Superiour – even before she returned to the orphaned Apiary.”

Griff

The leader of the Town's underworld, known to Artemiy as Griff. A thief, murderer and a smuggler. Peddles in pretty much everything. Left a decidedly bad impression on Artemiy, making him quite glad that he didn't have to deal with this slimy fellow in the recent days.

Vlad Olgimsky Jr.: ”His real name is Grigoriy Filin, and thieves call him Father Grigoriy, even if he is really a whelp. Griff lords over the underworld. He deals in everything – especially things that are forbidden. Father is, unfortunately, forced to endure his reign – Griff is embedded too deeply with the local workforce. If we had the capability to work with the Order as closely as he does, then we wouldn't need such parasites to act as intermediaries for us..."

Laska

The daughter of the now deceased grave keeper who tends after the local graveyard. A morbid girl, who has been, nonetheless, quite helpful to Artemiy. One of Artemiy's Adherents.

Suffers from Tvyrine addiction and claims to hear the voices of the dead.

Kapella: “She talks with the dead. Sometimes, she sits in front of the gravestone and sings a song, very softly. She also brings various things to the gravestones – unusual ones, like a toy chariot, a typewriter or a birthday cake with candles. She loves music, although she doesn't play any instruments. Her singing is breathtaking, but raspy, as if she is suffocating. “

Ospina: ”Laska is strange, even unhinged. One remarkable characteristic of hers is her breathing. Her breathing is deep, loud and very raspy, as if she barely takes in any oxygen or as if she is barely holding herself back from weeping. Her breath is very fresh – aromatic and sweet, even – something that, considering her profession, should be quite creepy. She talks to me as if I am dead.”

Vlad Olgimsky Sr.

Another powerful man, a patriarch of the Olgimsky family. A harsh, ruthless man that is, nonetheless, very intelligent and strategic in his thinking. An industrialist, who holds the monopoly over the Town's chief source of revenue – the export of bull meat to the Capital. Is deeply involved in the Order's affairs and controls the Apiary and Abattoir.

His wife, Victoria Olgimsky Sr. was one of the Town's Mistresses and commanded considerable power over the Town – power that she frequently fought over with Nina, the Mistress of the Kain family.

For his own reasons, Vlad Sr. took a shine to Artemiy's plight in his early days in the Town, protecting him from other families' influence. His enemies, however, view him in a much less positive light.

Alexander Saburov: ”Vlad is both cunning and dour. Doing business with him is quite tough. I find it quite strange that he has managed to embed himself so deeply in the affairs of the Order and lords over them with such ease. Civilized people cannot communicate very well with the Steppe folk – in order to speak their language, one must, himself, turn into a beast from time to time. I believe that there is some sort of a secret arrangement between him and the Order – one bought with a malevolent tribute.

Kapella

An enigmatic girl, who has helped Artemiy in his early days in the Town with her prophetic vision. For now, Artemiy does not know much about her, although it's painfully clear that she will be important to Artemiy's efforts in the coming days.

Her real name is Victoria Olgimsky, just like her mother. She clearly inherited some of her mother's powers, even if she hasn't come into her own quite yet. One of Artemiy's Adherents.

Vlad Olgimsky Jr.

Son of Vlad Sr. and the heir of the Olgimsky family fortune. Not nearly as straightforward as his father and much more cunning. Because of this, there is a certain tension between father and son. Pursues a number of strange intrigues and plans, some of which involve discovering the nature and secrets of the Town and the Order.

Like the rest of the Olgimsky family, has helped Artemiy many times in the early days of his stay in the town. Still, Artemiy does not entirely trust the man, for he clearly has many secrets of various degrees of malevolence.

Lara Ravel: ” Why doesn't anyone notice just how much of a hardworking young man he is? He spends all of his time tirelessly working! He does everything for his family, but his father won't accept it. Indeed, instead of studying the financial intricacies, he is studying the ways of the Order, but now he understands them better than his father ever did. He will be a better ruler, wielding power without whips, violence and riots...”

Matchstick

A little kid, involved in the affairs of the other kid gangs. Has a talent for spying and keeps his ear to the ground. Privy to all the important happenings of the Town.

Present in Isidore's house at the time of his death, he helped Artemiy establish some details about his father's death. Also helped Artemiy prevent the Dualsouls from being involved in a foolhardy gang war with the Thieves. One of Artemiy's adherents.

Griff: ”This one will make a fine thief – an agile kid. Can steal a ring from your finger and you won't even notice. Knows a way into every house. I'm not even talking about the lockpicks he makes – a true virtuoso! If I ever manage to get to him, I'll definitely be making taking him into my gang. He has a bite, though, and keeps away from me... Maybe, I'll pass my business on to him later on – who knows what will happen, though...”

Mishka

A little orphaned girl who lives in a wagon near the station. Spends her days mucking about in the earth and does not sleep at night. Is considered by the townsfolk to be very standoffish and strange.

Would have allowed Artemiy to prove his innocence to the Bachelor if he hadn't come to that conclusion himself. One of Artemiy's adherents.

Matchstick: ” I'm friends with Mishka, even though she's a small fry. You know, she is very self-reliant. What she loves, though, is digging through the earth. She also has a habit of frequently, with a very busy look, going into strange, evil places at the most inopportune of times... I can respect that.”

Eva Yan

The owner of the house, where Daniil Dankovsky is lodging. A strange woman with a questionable taste in clothing. Initially deeply afraid of Artemiy, she has since chosen to ignore him. Not enough is known about her to Artemiy to make a proper summation.

Daniil Dankovsky – The Bachelor

A hero of another story, this man arrived into the Town to further his own research but stayed when it became apparent that his cause was ruined and that the Town was soon to be assailed by an extremely infectious and lethal disease. A man of science, Daniil is frequently confounded by the Town's customs and backwards ways and meets resistance at every turn, despite seemingly commanding great influence with two of the Town's powerful families.

Daniil and our hero Artemiy could very well have become enemies, but, against all odds, they have managed to form a good working relationship, helping each other combat the Town's powers and the disease itself – at least, for now.

While the above is true for the first seven days, on the Eighth day, Daniil sends Artemiy a charged letter, claiming that he chooses to fight for "utopians" - something that, according to Daniil, pits them against each other in some way. The days of friendship and respect seem to be over.

Alexander Saburov

A powerful man, the patriarch of one of the Town's three ruling families. His family has been traditionally responsible for maintaining law and order in times of strife and emergency, allowing the man to be in his own element during this epidemic. Relationship with Artemiy Burakh has been entirely hostile, the man is obsessed with bringing our hero to “justice.” Others, however, are of a differing opinion on him.

Stanislav Rubin: ”Alexander is a heroic man. When the fire broke out in the Curriers, he, with an axe in hand, was breaking into the burning houses, led people out and helped put out the fires. It just sort of happened, really. He wasn't recognized by anyone while doing so, and he didn't brag either. It only became known later on, by accident. He is capable of doing great deeds unnoticeably – there is a special sort of heroism in that.”

Katherine Saburov

Wife of Alexander Saburov. A mistress, blessed with a gift of prophecy. A very dark personage, frequently ailed by one malaise or another, likely due to her powers.

Alexander trusts her powers completely. Because of this, when she prophesied that Artemiy will drown the Town in blood, Alexander made it his personal goal to annihilate Artemiy without any hesitation. Not very well liked by the Order.

Ospina: ”She was a queen, but became a witch. She should've known better than to toy with night spirits. When Nina died, she gladly took on the role of the Dark Mistress – all the burden of taking care of the Town fell on Victoria, after all – Katherine was free to play around... She got carried away, though... They say that she has a morphine addiction and that, at night, she takes visits from men with cold skin...

While Artemiy does not have much goodwill for her, considering the treatment he suffered at Saburovs' hands, she commands a certain kind of respect from other denizens of the town.

Lara Ravel: ” Katherine took on herself the brunt of a very terrible blow and has managed to endure it with honour. Who could survive between Nina's hammer and Victoria's Anvil but her? That is how the Town was being built, after all – Nina was forging, while Victoria was holding her back, all the while Katherine kept the powers in balance.

You know, I am in awe at the way she and Alexander love each other. In the days of the antiquity, they would be a real king and queen – noble, powerful and just. These just aren't her times...”

Ospina

A strange, enigmatic figure who owns a den, where many of the escapees from the Apiary are hiding out. Claims to be an evil spirit born by the Earth, who brings the feeling of sorrow and a time long gone to those around her.

A poisonous being, quite full of anger and spite who has, nonetheless, been helpful to Artemiy. A strict adherent to the ways of the Order.

Matchstick: ”She's quite mysterious, that one! No one knows how she came to the Town. She isn't in any danger, either, because she is immortal, like Simon. They also say that Simon expelled all the evil from his soul, the Steppe gave the bones for her body and that is how she came to be!”

Andrey Stamatin

A talented, if quite short-tempered, architect. Arrived int the Town about five years ago and stayed behind for the sake of his younger brother Petr. Owns the pub on the bank of Vein - one of the tributaries of Gorkhon – where he spends most of his time getting into fights and debauching with drunks and one of the Herb Sisters that he stole from the Order. Treats our hero with a certain amount of respect, although begrudgingly so. Other adherents treat him with begrudging respect as well, though not without acknowledging his chaotic nature.

Vlad Olgimsky Jr.: ” Without Andrey's bravery Petr's imagination would exist only on paper. It is unfortunate that both of them are in a bit of a downswing right now. Petr is drinking himself to death, and Andrey spends his time amid perversion and cruel feasts. Such lulls, however, are normal for the artistic folk - they frequently emerge out of them with new discoveries in their jaws.”

Petr Stamatin

Younger brother of Andrey Stamatin. An architect, a genius and, currently, an alcoholic stuck in the depths of despair. Hasn't had much contact with Artemiy beyond a brief conversation in the bar and, thus, it would be too early to judge the nature of this personage.

Maria Kain

Daughter of Victor and Nina Kain, she is the inheritor of her mother's powers, although she, just like Kapella, hasn't fully taken them on quite yet.

Artemiy had a brief run-in with her at Stamatin's pub and the girl struck him as a very vain and arrogant girl, who deemed herself to be above everyone else. Still, making summations based on such experiences would be a bit rash and there might be more run-ins with her in the future.

A further run-in confirmed that evaluation to a T, although it also revealed the fact that Maria has been communicating with her deceased mother by the means of her old diary. However vain the girl might be, she is clearly gifted with mystical powers of the Mistresses. She also struck Artemiy as having a very dominant, ruler-like personality. Quite the typical aristocrat with a pinch of mysticism, that one.

Lara Ravel

A noble personage, well regarded by most of the Town's denizens. Artemiy had a minor run-in with her when he was searching for Stanislav Rubin's location.

Kapella: “There is no one here kinder than her. Lara has taught me that granting gifts is an exquisite art in on itself. She puts all others before herself, at all times. She lives her life for those, whom she cares about. I loved her father very much. Two years ago, he volunteered to fight in the war and joined the 4th Army. Yes - that 4th Army.”

Stanislav Rubin: “Since the Battle of the Karst Fords where Captain Ravel was shot, she became an orphan and turned her father's house into an orphanage. By the way - that house was built for Ravels by Vlad Olgimsky Sr., in exchange for a small bauble. She is sensitive, but reasonable – a combination that is very rare around these parts.”

Stanislav Rubin

Artemiy Burakh's childhood friend and Isidore Burakh's best pupil. A very knowledgeable, loyal man who was distraught by Isidore's untimely death. Turned his anger towards Artemiy and, for three days, hounded him before coming to his senses.

Like Artemiy and Daniil, is in search of a cure. Created a temporary vaccine that protects the imbiber from the disease by using the blood of Simon Kain. Current whereabouts are unknown.

Vlad Olgimsky Jr.: ”He is Old Burakh's best pupil. Stubborn. Willful. Temperamental. Will do only that, which he considers to be right, like a stubborn mule. You can't convince him of anything. Ignores all forms of authority, except for that of his precious teacher.”

Anna Angel

A singer of some sort who arrived into the town a couple of years ago under mysterious circumstances. Artemiy Burakh hadn't had a lot of run-ins with this particular personage yet, but the one the one he had has left him with a very bad impression of her. Still, our hero doesn't know much about this person quite yet, and it may be too early to make any permanent judgments.

Rat Prophet

A strange creature, encountered by Artemiy underneath the town's Theater. Claims to have prophetic powers and gave Artemiy a prophecy, similar to that which was given about him by Katherine, although Vlad Jr. suggested that it may be some form of mystical experience, shared by everybody who enters the tunnels underneath the Theater. Currently, its nature is unknown.

Klara - The Impostress

A hero of another story. Said by others to have mythical healing powers, this girl is also said to have crawled out of the Earth on the day of Artemiy's arrival. According to Rat Prophet, she is a true embodiment of Sand Fever given flesh, although she is ignorant of that particular fact. There also seem to be two of her - Artemiy encountered her in two different places and, each time, she was ignorant of the conversation they had at the other place.

Since the Rat Prophet told Artemiy that she would lose her healing powers if her true nature is revealed to her, Artemiy chose to keep the lie going and told her that she is a force of good. Whether or not there are going to be any consequences of this lie is not known.

Taya Tychik

A four-year old girl - or, perhaps, five-year old - who is deemed as the Mother Superior of the Order due to the fact that she is the daughter of the late Commandant of the Apiary. Nowadays lives in the Apiary where the Order venerates and serves her. A fair representation of the inner nature of the Order - a bit eccentric, childish at times but also wise and knowledgeable in the ways of the Steppe and Earth folklore, even if she is still learning.

Kapella: You know, she is still so very tiny... In the Polyhedron she organized a similar game and played the same role of a sacred child, before whom everyone trembles and after whom everybody cares not necessarily out of obligation, but also out of joy that comes with caring after such a beautiful creature...

Viktor Kain

Husband of the late Nina Kain, the Dark Mistress. Father of Maria Kain and Caspar Kain. A surprisingly calm, clear-headed and orthodox man - at least, for a Kain. Just like all Kains, is antagonistic towards the Inquisitor due to the feud that she and his wife had. Victor is rather bad at weaving intrigues and fabricating plots as the two times he has tried to pull these off on Artemiy were rather transparent and ill-conceived.

Aglaya Lilich

The Inquisitor, sent to this Town by the Authorities to solve the problem posed by the Sand Fever. Younger sister of Nina Kain, the last Dark Mistress of the Town. A calm, intelligent, perceptive individual who has won over Artemiy with her seeming honesty and straightforwardness. Extremely knowledgeable in all the information pertaining to the Town and beyond. Currently, she is Artemiy's greatest ally.

Aglaya was sent into this Town with the expectation that she will fail at her task - a failure that will lead to her certain death. The assignment was, essentially, a death sentence for her and only a miracle can save her.

Oyun

Elder of the Abattoir, he is, for all intents and purposes, the current High Shaman of the Order. Where Taya is the Monarch of the Order, Oyun is the Chief Priest - his domain lies in preserving and enacting the sacred rites and rituals of the Order.

By all accounts, Oyun is an extremely disagreeable fellow. Artemiy's father, Isidore, did not think much about him and was planning to usurp his rule shortly before dying. The Order believes that Oyun has somehow botched the latest sacrifice that would have led to the end of the Sand Fever.

The Elder is quite antagonistic towards Artemiy and will likely persist in being so, for he senses a threat to his rule in Artemiy.

Georgiy Kain

The current eldest member of the Kain family, Georgiy is the de-facto patriarch of the Kains. An extravagant man with an interest in all things mystical, Georgiy is thought by some to be a worthy successor to Simon, while others consider him to be a pale shadow of his brother's glory. Like two members of Kain family before, Georgiy attempts to use Artemiy as a tool in one of Kains' plot to increase the family's influence in the Town.

Katherine Saburov implies that, recently, Georgiy has been acting more and more like Simon . Since this is the Kain family we are talking about here, one should not discount possession of the living by the dead. For now, however, this has been only hinted at by a very unstable woman, so take that with a grain of salt.

Other characters

Simon Kain

A reportedly immortal man and the patriarch of Kain family. Daniil Dankovsky arrived into the Town in order to try and glean the nature of this man's immortality. Upon arrival, however, the Bachelor found the man to be dead, apparently killed by an infectious disease.

Isidore Burakh

A menkhu and an oinon, widely respected both by the Town and the Order. Made great advances in combating the Sand Fever, even managing to contain an outbreak of it five years before the game's events. He is a powerful influence on Artemiy, with his notes and inheritance guiding our hero's actions throughout the game.

Nina Kain

The Dark Mistress of the Town, dead several years before the game's events. Was known to be powerful and terrible, although loved by the Town's denizens. Maiden name - Lilich. Elder sister of Aglaya Lilich, the Inquisitor sent into the Town by the Authorities.

Victoria Olgimsky Sr.

The White Mistress of the Town, dead several years before the game's events. Was powerful in her own right and was a soothing influence that held back the excesses of Nina Kain's power. Treated the Town and its people with care and love.

Toady

A kid, who betrayed both Dualsouls and thieves in favour of Dogheads. Was spared by Artemiy during the first day.

Hunchback

A strange man, who trades in blood and organs out of Stone Yard.

Stump

A kid who works for Matchstick. Worked with Artemiy to prevent Dualsouls from getting involved in a feud with the Thieves.

Vera

A Herb Bride, who dances in Andrey Stamatin's pub and who provides Artemiy Burakh with a lot of useful information on Herb Sisters' biology.

Executors

Working hands of the Authorities, enforcing the rules of the Town on its denizens.

Tragedians

Mailmen and bards, these gentlemen take it upon themselves to inform people of important happenings and interpret them at night in the Theater.

Odonkhe

The herders of the Order, they take care of the sacred cattle.

Butchers

They work in the Abattoir, slaughtering the cattle in accordance to the rites of the Order.

Herb Brides

Given their power by Bodkho, they summon the Tvyr from the Earth with their warmth and dancing.

HellishWhiskers fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Nov 4, 2014

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl
THE SACRIFICE

Chapter One - Part 1

REEL 2: Artemiy's Arrival

“Day One, during which, Haruspex is destined to turn from a rightful heir into a dangerous criminal.”

Pain. All that his hometown has to greet Artemiy with is pain. Angry men with vengeance in their eyes seldom bring anything but pain, after all. Besides, none of these men seemed to care for Artemiy's grief or the doom that was slowly grasping this city. Has Isidore told only him? No, that would have been unwise and his father was a wise man indeed.

Letter of Inheritance

My son Artemiy,

Death will soon be upon me. I want to talk to you about your future and to give you all that remains in my possession, however little that might be.
I have to warn you, that, in the recent times, I took part in events most dark and, as my experience tells me, malevolent.
I took upon myself a great burden and my fate is out of my own hands.
Thus, if you refuse my heritage, with all its burdens that are brought upon it by my obligations, I will understand you and I won't denounce you.
I see that I have very little time left. Hurry. I want to see you for the last time.
I'm sorry that I've spent so little time with you.
Your loving Father,

Isidore Burakh.

P.S. If I'm not alive when you arrive, reach out to Vlad Olgimsky. He will help you settle in and will introduce you to the state of my affairs to the best of his abilities.

Pain wouldn't stop him - after all, he had to meet his father and reclaim his purpose. Besides, even if he lacked in purpose, his lineage gave him certain inalienable rights. Thus, when he found himself, at last, in peace with the corpses of the two of the men that have ambushed him, he decided to let nothing go to waste.

Having gotten lost in the work that his hands were made for, it took Artemiy a minute to notice the two looming figures ahead of him. Clad in long robes, and with long-beaked mask, they stood patiently - as if they had all the time in the world to wait for him.

Track 1 - The Steppe

Artemiy, not bothered by their expectant looks in the slightest, approached one of the waiting figures.

Well, Burakh – it seems that you are almost dead. You have, at most, a couple of minutes to live – something I'm warning you of with a certain solemnity, I must say.

One can't manage a whole lot in that amount of time...

You took a couple of blows to the head, and the locals around here have sturdy fists. Maybe you haven't noticed yet, but you have four knife wounds – one of which is fairly serious. You've lost a lot of blood, and the local climate does nothing to help with the exhaustion. You don't happen have any heart problems, do you?

Now that you mention it, my heart IS my softest spot.

Your health is at nil. I don't think I'll be mistaken if I guess that you haven't eaten for several days and haven't slept at all last night? Your face says it all. That means that your hunger and fatigue also in a critical state. I wonder – which one of these will be the one that gets you, in the end? What are you planning to do?

If my fate is to die, then I'll die.

Oh my, what a charming display of fatalism. Such phrases are ought to be spoken with a steeled gaze through a clenched jaw. Unfortunately, your jaw has been dislocated, so the ultimate effect is rather lacking. It is much more interesting to be a fatalist if one has an actual choice to make, wouldn't you agree?

A fair point.

In order to restore your health, you will need a medical kit. Bandages will stop the bleeding. Analgesic drugs will help you carry on.

And where will I get those?

You can take them or trade them from passersby. Kids will readily trade the most precious of things for something that others will consider to be garbage. And something else – local drunks frequently carry some bandages with them – in case they get in a scuffle. When the hangover strikes, however, they'll do almost anything for some bottled water. Things are rather tight with water around here.

Where can I find some of that precious water?

There's usually some in the water barrels around the city. You can drain it out of them into an empty bottle.

What next?

If I recall correctly, you're pretty hungry?

I'll manage.

You don't have to rob the passersby for food, you know. There's a lot of produce being sold in the shops right now...although, with your reputation, I'd say that my advice isn't particularly helpful yet.

What exactly happened to ruin my reputation so completely?

A rather unfortunate misunderstanding. I wouldn't call it slander, not entirely – but it does look like a false accusation, at the very least.

Do tell.

My comrade here can tell it better – that is his role, after all. My role, on the other hand, is to tell you how to take care of your body.

I know how a body is built. I don't need that sort of advice.

Well, then – go on! You have a number of glorious accomplishments ahead of you.

Go to hell.

One could feel the crooked smile emanating from beneath the stranger's beaked mask. Artemiy did not like being toyed with, but he decided to humor the second stranger all the same. Something told him that the feeling of being toyed with is one the that he will grow accustomed to in the coming days.

Welcome to your native city, acolyte! You haven't been here for quite a while. I even doubt that you remember the bitter smell of tvyr in the local air. Hmm.. Know why you were attacked?

No.

You were mistaken for someone else. They're looking for a killer. A very influential man was murdered this very night. People loved him. Not many children love a caring father as much as people loved the deceased. Don't judge them too harshly for their eagerness.

Maybe I should feel sorry for them, too?

They're naive. In small towns like ours reputation is everything. By it, you will be allowed in and by it, you will be carried out. Sometimes, even feet first. It's not like they'll take time to figure out the meat of matter. Empty gossip and slander is enough for you to be perceived as an enemy. Your reputation is at nil. Do be ready to bear the consequences.

What am I to do, then?

Rebuild your reputation. Now and, if it crumbles in the future, again. People are simple and weak. Today, they worship the one whom they've kicked and belittled yesterday. And tomorrow... well, what is there to say. In the end, any evil can be remedied and they will love you just as much as they hated you.

How do I rebuild my reputation?

Do good works. The town is small and rumours travel instantly, even if they transform many times along the way. Consider, also, the fact that it's mostly children that carry the rumours around and...well – in the end, it will rebuild itself. In the future, don't be too wasteful with it – it is a fragile commodity, after all.

What would bring down my reputation?

First and foremost, it depends on the number of living beings murdered by you. However, it also depends on how you've influenced the people, whose fates intertwine with yours. You'll meet these... special people around here. They're called “Adherents”. A superstitious custom, although they will be useful to you.

Who are these people?

They're about thirty people, one grander than the next. Everyone hates each other, everyone lies. Each and every single one of them deserves to live. However, some of them are incompatible with each other – in order for some to live, others will have to die. Plan your actions accordingly.

How will I recognize these people?

Oh, that's not hard at all. All of them – bright personalities, local celebrities, although not all of them are aristocrats. Some are homeless, some are radicals and some of them are little children. Adherents...to the state of a bigger, better perfection than the gray mass of simpletons.

I don't like you. I have no love for the prideful

Artemiy spat on the ground and took a last look at them before walking forward. They didn't turn.

Artemiy would have started heading inwards, into the city, but, remembering one of the masked men's words about his current public image, it seemed more prudent to take shelter in the nearby Warehouses and to let the situation run its course. It only took Artemiy a few steps to notice some locals, warming themselves near a bonfire.

It became clear to Artemiy that he wouldn't be able to get to the Warehouses without being spotted by them, so he made a run for it.

It didn't take them long enough to spot it, and the chase was on.

The fence was shoddy and quite small, but, with Artemiy's injuries, it took him a great deal of effort to climb it.

With little time to think, Artemiy ducked into the warehouse right in front of him.

The scene that greeted him was quite eerie.

The children refused to talk to him and only motioned in the direction of the stack of boxes in the corner. Artemiy made his way there and saw a boy - older than the rest and with a gaze that marks one as a clear leader. His eyes were inquisitive and unflinching, despite Artemiy's obviously haggard and menacing state.

Ah! A new figure in our little society? A fighter?

Doctor.

Doctor? We already have a doctor. Not that we asked for one.

You haven't had one quite like me yet.

You aren't one of Griff's men, though?

Who is this Griff ?

Griff is the leader of the local thieves. He's squatting on the northern side of the Warehouses, sells weapons, tvyr and all sorts of other trash. All killers and criminals are connected to him, that's how it is around here. That's why I'm asking you – were you going to him?

A criminal? I'll show you a criminal!

Oh yeah? Just now, there were a bunch of people running through the Warehouses. They said that some sort of awful murderer, who's being chased around by the entire town, was trying to escape on a train, got ambushed, killed everyone and is now coming here. That's why I thought – is it you they were talking about?

I was defending myself. They took me for someone else.

I believe you. Phew... You're in a bad shape... We would help you, but we were robbed ourselves. He took all the medicine too, as luck would have it. Toady is a right scoundrel. Traitor, thief, murderer and a bastard!

Who's that you're talking about?

Toady – he's the scoundrel who completely justifies his namesake! A right sycophant, that one. One thing I don't get, though, is who he sold us out to – to the thieves or to the Dogheads? He stole the most important thing from us - his comrades! A complete rat! And on the eve of the war, too!

What war?

On the eve of war with Dogheads. Rotten animal, a rat without a heart and soul, stole the most precious thing that we had, killed a friend... and deserted straight to our enemies! We thought he was our comrade! Maybe...maybe he was pretending from the start? Death - he deserves death...

What was it that he took?

A very important bit of medicine. A powder. They're very rare, because they're handmade. We don't know the recipe. They can be different – some can heal, others kill. We had the last one – we used it to figure out which ones are the healing ones. They look all the same.

And what do they heal, exactly?

Some time ago, there was this horrible disease around here. Came and went. Every time I remember I get shivers down my spine, it was that scary. It spread like a fire in a bedlam. We kept it around – as a token... And he stole it! Left us to die! Backstabbing wretch!

And where is this fellow now?

Maybe, he's with his friends - the thieves. At first, he was hiding out in the steppe, but he's gone now. Maybe, he double-backed around. We lost him near the mound and then we had to run away because the thieves showed up. If you find the bastard, cut him into ribbons!

You're saying you want me to kill him?

Yes! The rogue doesn't deserve to live! Know what? I'll give you my revolver if you do it! If he's with a dog, though – don't touch the dog. You don't hurt the dogs.

Okay. I'll have a chat with him if I find him.

Notkin marked the last known location of the doghead on Artemiy's map

Safe in the warehouse for a little while, Artemiy decided to make a note in his journal that he kept during all these years of his voluntary exile before moving on to meet this Griff

From now on, I am the eldest of Burakhs and the leader of the bloodline of menkhu - those who know the lines. I am an inheritor of my father Isidor, who has served and honored the Order better than any other menkhu did in the past decades.

It is vitally important for me to reclaim my inheritance. It will give sustenance to both my body and my mind. It will give meaning to my life, which has been, so far, both empty and meaningless.

I belong to a lineage of diviners of lines that open the body and connect the earthly to that which is below the earth. It is the duty of such diviners to serve the children of Bodkho, in interpreting the coincidences and in choosing the wiser paths. My existence on this Earth can only be justified by fulfilling this duty.

Who will I be if I break my lineage, if I won't tie my purpose with the purpose that my Father has bestowed upon me?

He also wrote down his thoughts on Notkin's request

"A Little Scamp backstabbed the street urchins"

Notkin, the leader of the gang of kids by the name of "Dualsouls", is begging me to find the traitor-doghead, who is hiding in the Steppe. Find him and kill him. I thought that Notkin had a kind soul when I met him, too... I think he'll come to regret his own blood-thirst soon enough.

Artemiy closed the journal and began to head out.

Outside, the darker gloom of the early morning was being slowly replaced by the town's usual bright fog that he remembered with such clarity.

He didn't get to take the scenery in for too long, because, quite suddenly, a passerby spotted him and gave chase.

Still, he had to make a run for Griff's warehouses, and hope that the man wouldn't chase him inside.

Navigating a maze of warehouses while being chased by an angry man is rather difficult, so the situation gave Artemiy a slight pause.

He did, however, find the right warehouse, in the end.

The faces inside were less than friendly, but the man did not follow him in.

The atmosphere around here was less than savory, too – the loot on the table,

the makeshift throne,

the escort girl.

All these things would make the place downright homely for all the wrong sort of people.

Artemiy decided to not tarry long here and approached Griff.

The man looked about as unsavoury as the rest of the gentlemen in the warehouse, but there was a certain dexterity to his hands. The man had quite a bit in common with Artemiy – much more than he cared to admit.

Well, it's pretty clear that it's best not to mess with you! Cheat you? Oh, absolutely, but that's where I'm drawing the line. If you ask me, stealing is more honourable than killing. You probably disagree with me, though - don't you?

And who are you?

What, they haven't told you about Griff? About the thief-king, the Big Storekeeper, the master of contraband...and other, shadier things?

Ah, so that's where I am...

Well, that's me! Welcome to the Thieves' lair. We deal, mostly, in contraband, which is why there's plenty of everything that is forbidden around here. Be careful, though – buying our stuff can't be too good for you. If anyone finds out, no one will ever believe you, trust me.

Considering my current predicament, I don't think I care.

I already know who you are. After all, in my position, I have to know everything around me. You see, the night has been pretty rowdy. Those that got away from you went right past us. Asked us, if you weren't on of ours. I said no. They warned us that you were coming, and they will warn others, I'm sure.

Stupid misunderstanding – they're all mistaken!

Oh don't worry, you picked the right way to enter this town. Here, it's murderers all around, no matter how you come in. Around here, in the Warehouses, shady folk have been squatting since the beginning of time... Murders, muggings, thievery – we're used to everything.

What, you aren't the only ones squatting here?

Some kids were faffing around these parts. We didn't bother them – why bother, after all? You give them a cuff on the nape, and they're gone. Well, they started getting serious. Got armed, tamed some dogs, started harassing our kind. I thought that that's where it would end, but then they started going after my merchandise! That, I won't tolerate.

What, you're going to declare war now?

First, I'll deal with one of them, the brash one. They had a traitor, he leaked some information to us – what their plans were, stuff like that. Now, however, the little poo poo gave us all up! His and ours! Poisoned one of my guys, stole the merchandise and hid out in the Steppe, the scoundrel. We looked around, but never found him.

So what happens now?

Maybe you could help us out? It would be nice if you'd finish the bugger off if you find him. If you do, we'll help you in kind. Our way.

And where did you lose him, exactly?

Here, I'll show you where we got. He probably went further down towards the Abattoir.

Griff's directions pointed to the same place Notkin's did.

If I end up in those places I'll look for him. You know, folks around here don't like me very much. How can I explain them that I'm innocent?

Well, you've made quite a bit of noise, brother. They say, you killed a countless amount of people. They weren't looking for you from the very beginning, you know. You tell them a word and they'll believe it without blinking. Now, they're looking for some sort of a werewoman – blaming all the sins on her, now. Yours too.

But they're still chasing after me, right?

Eh, they'll stop soon. Our guys are saying that out of the folks that were in the ambush at the station, only one survived. He's the only one who knows how your look. Getting ready to die, too, that one – he's at the cemetery right now. You weren't kidding around with them. Finish the last one off and no one will know that you were the killer. That's how I see it.

Which way is this cemetery?

Ha! Whichever way you go! It's all cemetery around here... Here, I'll show you. There's a little lodge there, ask the little orphan inside – graveyard keeper's daughter, God rest his soul. She'll tell you the rest, the kind soul that she is...

The graveyard was to the north of where everyone has last seen the Doghead traitor.

Thanks, I'll go take a look.

Before you go, folks-in-the-know told me that there's another ambush being prepared at the station. This time it's not the townsfolk, though, but more of a roving type. Watch out – it might be useful, or it might be an early grave.

Oh? Interesting... How long are they going to be there?

No idea. I wasn't the one who sent them there. Hell, I even tried to dissuade them. Let's see them complain later, not that they'll get the chance. You get my drift?

Quite the slimy type, are you, Griff.

Seeing as he had a minute, Artemiy wrote down his thoughts on the Doghead traitor's relationship with the Thieves.

A Little Scamp backstabbed the smugglers
Griff is asking to find and finish off some Doghead. It's seems that everyone around here is taking me for some sort of a Ripper.

Artemiy closed his journal with a sigh. With the way into the inner town still locked for him by popular vote, Artemiy decided to travel out into the steppe. Maybe he'd stumble on the kid everybody's looking for, and it wouldn't hurt to check the Gravekeeper's lodge, see what the wounded fellow has to say for himself. He left the warehouse and wandered back to the railroad track that he was planning to follow out into the steppe.

The river that ran under the bridge wasn't particularly impressive nor deep, but Artemiy knew the swamp, to which the river led all too well.

Following the tracks led him to the Workshops that serviced the machinery that transferred the meat products from the Abattoir to the station for export.

Going on a bit further, he saw a tower – a water tower, or so he guessed. Coming a bit closer to it, he saw a little figure taking shelter under it.

Sure enough, it was the wanted Doghead. Artemiy approached him, still not entirely certain what to do with him.

Artemiy wasn't a man easily disturbed, but something about the woven dog head was off - off enough to make him hesitate for a moment.

Who are you? What are you walking around here for? Gathering some tvyr, are you?

Are you human?

Rawr! No, not human! Ha-ha-ha! What, does it look like the real thing?

You better get serious, little guy. I've got some bad news.

Oh, so that's how it is. So, you're in league with them too? I don't believe it... Who sent you?

The one who sent me is very displeased. Wants your blood.

What – are they mad? Why are they chasing me so hard? So what, so I played a spy for a bit...Worked around here and there... I'm sick of it! I don't want to rat out thieves to the Dualsouls, nor the Dualsouls to the thieves! I'm doing the right thing here.

Tell me why they want you dead and do it fast – this is your last shot at mercy. I don't look kindly on traitors.

...It's all dumb. I stole something. The property is communal in our group, right? That means it's mine too. They would fight each other because of the powder anyway. You could say I did a good thing there. As for the dog...well... I was defending myself! Self-defense is sacred, you know?

Not very convincing.

Good man, please spare me! Saving a life will come back around to you, trust me. I can't tell you why I did it... it's too sick. But I won't do it again, promise!
Alright, alright – get out of here!

Kids played for keeps in this town. Always have. Artemiy knew that, but even he didn't feel composed enough to be an arbiter of a child's life, no matter his sins. Not without a great need. The doghead didn't wait around for Artemiy to change his mind, not that he would have.

From here, he could already see the Graveyard's fence. He began to approach it in order to circle it around, when a small tent out in the steppe attracted his attention.

Artemiy wasn't caught off guard. After all, this was just one of the Steppe folk. The fellow looked at him with a certain knowing in his eyes.

I smell blood on you. You have with you the blood of someone who isn't here, isn't that right?

You have a sensitive nose. How much blood do you need?

No, I don't need any. Earth does. Earth won't take more than it needs to to grow as many herbs as you will take from me.

Take it.

We are the worms in Bodkho's body, the gatherers of herbs, brown tvyr, rusted, black and blood tvyr, savyur, ukheghe, the white lash. All of them speak to us.
Does anyone in the town buy the tvyr?

There is a den in the Earth – yes, a den – where the people are drinking the liquid tvyr... A terrible man spends his days there, spends his night there – he, the accursed one, buys the tvyr and perverts the children of Bodkho. Drives them to betrayal. Because of him, we had to kill our brothers-odonkhe, who sold our secrets.

Why won't you kill him, then?

He is very formidable, yes – formidable. He is a mighty fighter, even if he is not a trained warrior. He builds homes. He is very brutal, yes – brutal. None of the odonkhe could take revenge on him for perverting our sisters, for buying out our brothers. We tried to fight him, but he killed all the dissenters.

Some builder he is...

The herb sisters dance for him instead of serving the Earth. They please the vagabonds and give themselves to sin. He made this all happen for his own amusement. If you kill him, the old odonkhu will be forever grateful to you.

I'm not your killer.

Artemiy had to restore his name in order to think about breaking the townsfolk's customs in order to uphold the customs of the Worms. The Worm looked indifferent in the face of Artemiy's refusal – at least, as far Artemiy could tell. It was, however, obvious that the Worm could prove useful in the future, in case Artemiy would need herbs.

Keeping that in mind, Artemiy went back and continued circling around the graveyard fence.

Soon enough he started seeing a towering outline break the fog.

A certain warmth emanated from that entrance - a warmth that Artemy knew all too well. With all his experience, it still didn't sit too right with him. He didn't tarry long and headed towards the graveyard.

The graveyard was quiet, but not without a certain vibrancy to it.

Taking the view in, Artemiy stepped inside the lodge. A peculiar sight awaited him in there.

The young woman's eyes were full of worry and, when she noticed Artemiy, a tinge of fear, though not without a hint of understanding.

I see you carry a great sorrow in heart. What is your name?

My name is Artemiy Burakh.

My name is Laska. I take care of the dead.

Aren't you too young for this job?

Why have you come here?

Who is this fellow lying here?

Don't kill him, please! This is the man who wanted to kill you! He attacked you there, near the Station. He says that you were the one who maimed him. He'll die soon, anyway – he doesn't have much blood left...You won't kill him, right?

Why? Maybe I ought to help him too, huh?

Why? You want to help? That's fantastic! You see how much blood he lost? He needs blood. I would give mine, but my blood is poisoned...and I don't have much of it anyway.

Poisoned? Poisoned by what?

Why...with tvyr, of course... You didn't know?

No.

In any case, he needs a transfusion.

And who here can do that?

I know that there is a terrifying man living in Stone Yard who trades in blood. He is a trader, but he takes blood, too. He knows how. Should I show you where he lives?

And how will you perform the transfusion, anyway?

Don't worry about that. A lot of folks here know their way around blood. Now, if only we had someone who'd give blood.

Alright. I'll talk to your trader.

A menkhu serves the children of Bodkho even if they lash out against him. That is the way of serving the Order and Artemiy knew it. That what stayed his hand when he could strike down the little Doghead and that is what kept him from striking down the wounded man.

The Surviving Factory Worker

The last of those, who have ambushed me at the station is dying in the Gravekeeper's lodge. Hunchback, who lives in the Stone Yards, can give me blood to heal him. This could help in restoring my good name.

Artemiy closed his journal and began making his way back to his warehouses to disappoint Griff and to help Notkin learn the value of life. Even Artemiy was a romantic, sometimes.

Just like it hasn't in 10 years of his absence, the steppe hasn't changed a single bit since Artemiy walked through it an hour ago.

Nothing changed in the warehouse, either.

I found the puppy.

Well?

I let him go.

Now, that's a waste! A soft soul... Well, I don't blame you.

What, you think your bones are hard? Watch it. I'll break them just the same.

It didn't feel particularly good, but it felt good enough. He made his way to Notkin's warehouse.

Dualsouls' warehouse was also the same. Nothing changes in this place, does it?

I never thought that a scoundrel like this would show up right before the war...

I've met your traitor.

What'd you think of him?

Pitiful.

Yeah, that's the truth of it. So, what'd you do with him?

I let him go.

What kind of a Ripper are you, then?

What made you think that I was a Ripper?

Eh, forget about it. Maybe, that's the right way. I'm already coming down myself – couldn't breathe from anger before, you know. Killing would've been too much. Did you beat him up, at least?

You said it yourself – don't hurt the dogs. He fit that criteria, in a roundabout sort of way.

The matter was finished with, and Artemiy took the time to dutifuly round out his journal entries about it

Mercy is the most honest of feelings. In my case, however, it's also useful. The law of highest justice will work – I had a chance to prove my new reputation, but I didn't take it. I am not their killer.

Artemiy chuckled to himself as he left the warehouse. The day that started so painfuly was looking up, even if his health didn't improve by a whole lot - although it has stabilized. Besides, the rumours of his mercy are sure to be reaching the town about now, and that means that he can finally journey inwards in search of support. Father's letter mentioned Vlad Olgimsky, and that was whom Artemiy was going to visit first.

Artemiy finally left the station behind and made his way into the town.

There streets was relatively empty, but the few passersby that he saw gave him no trouble, aside from the occasional nervous glance full of knowing. Nothing Artemiy couldn't deal with. It took him a while to get his bearing, but, soon, Artemiy came out to the Olgimsky house.

In front of the main entrance, however, was a strange, scrawny figure that was looking at the door with expectant and obedient eyes – eyes that were easily visible even while hidden behind the veil of the mask.

He turned to Artemiy when he approached the door.

You won't happen to be Vlad Senior, the owner of this house?

Do I look like him?

Actually – no, not at all! But, perhaps, you're his representative?

You're unlucky, once again.

I am, you see, only a mere postman. I have for him a letter of utmost importance. They told me, however, that he will only show up at 11 A.M.

Did this letter happen to say anything about a certain Burakh?

I haven't read the letter!

Of course you have. The lie is visible even through that mask of yours.

Oh, all right. No, the letter only talks about a certain bachelor Dankovsky, who arrived into town on a personal matter – although he will soon take it upon himself to hunt down the elusive murderer of Simon Kain!

Great, that's the last thing I needed...

With a sigh, Artemiy checked his watch. It was 10 A.M., and that meant that he had some time kill. Artemiy started walking the streets of the town, hoping that nobody would chase after him again during this peaceful entr'acte.

HellishWhiskers fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 12, 2014

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Definitely looking forward to this; I've always been intrigued by the previous Pathologic LPs.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Love the gloomy autumn vibe. Will be watching this.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

Heart Thumping Field Trip
BIG PANIC?
Pathologic fascinates me. I absolutely loved the atmosphere of Knock Knock.

Following this, no question! Great work so far.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I am so pumped about this. Pathologic seems like one of those games that is a lot more fun to watch than to play, and the atmosphere is just the best.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Meinberg posted:

I am so pumped about this. Pathologic seems like one of those games that is a lot more fun to watch than to play, and the atmosphere is just the best.

That's how it is for me. I tried to play it with Haruspex and Bachelor and it...did not go well.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Meinberg posted:

It really is, Pathologic would probably be one of my favorite games if the gameplay wasn't so bad. It really has fantastic atmosphere and is one of the best written games around. (Though as stated before, the English translation is real bad.) Its thanks to these LPs that I got to experience them.

Also as a heads up because it will probably happen during the duration of this LP but Ice Pick is planning a Kickstarter for a remake of Pathologic with improved gameplay and English translation next month so make sure to check it out when it goes live.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 4, 2014

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
Pathologic is great, and I always love the LPs that pop up time to time.

Burakh was my first character in-game, and that was a terrible mistake considering how brutal and unforgiving his story is. Hope you can make it through and show it all off, Whiskers!

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

Accordion Man posted:

Also as a heads up because it will probably happen during the duration of this LP but Ice Pick is planning a Kickstarter for a remake of Pathologic with improved gameplay and English translation next month so make sure to check it out when it goes live.

Actually, the impending Kickstarter is why I picked this game back up and decided to LP it. I plan on plugging that thing as hard as possible.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Ah, Pathologic. Played through a few days of it as the Bachelor, brilliantly creepy but also damned hard.

Looking forward to reading through this, you mad bastard.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Great work so far. I'll be following this, and maybe go and finish the Bachelor story at last.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

It is telling of the differences in class between the Bachelor and the Haruspex from who their friends are. The Bachelor spends a large amount of time around young women, aristocrats, and artists, while the Haruspex's closest allies are children, criminals, madmen, and worse.

And the latter are more straightforward and trustworthy, of course. Pathologic is Russian as gently caress. :ussr:

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
I don't understand
Who'd gently caress an Odong woman

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Also, could you maybe, possibly change tvyr to twyre in your translation? :shobon: You yourself said you want to make it a connected experience with woodenchicken's LP and that's what he used

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

Also, could you maybe, possibly change tvyr to twyre in your translation? :shobon: You yourself said you want to make it a connected experience with woodenchicken's LP and that's what he used

Hey, I already made plenty of different translation choices in here. Did woodenchicken's Klara call Dankovsky a nerd in the theater section? No, she did not - a grave oversight, obviously :colbert:

But, to sum it up, Tvyr or Twyre, or whatnot, isn't a real thing so the best thing I thought to do with it is to transliterate it into English to the best of my abilities, and the word Tvyr follows the rules of Russian pronunciation more closely than Twyre - Twyre doesn't sound at all how the Russian word sounds. Even then, the word is pretty recognizable in terms what's being referred to, and I don't think it will confuse people who go from one LP to the next too much. There are many more things that will actually confuse them.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm pretty sure most of this game is going to confuse us.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
I was confused for like half an update but admittedly, I'm a huge retard

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think HellishWhiskers's translation will be the only thing to make this game sensible to us. They're not exaggerating about how horrid the official English translation is.

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl
Chapter One – Part 2

Turning the street, Artemiy decided to have a walk to the local theater.

Stretching out on one of the benches allowed Artemiy to take stock of his own state. The tiredness has become worse, he was fairly close to collapsing. His health was doing slightly better, but he could still use some patching up. He recalled one of the masks' words – something about local drunks carrying medical supplies and craving for water? Artemiy check the trash can closest to his bench and, sure enough, there were two empty bottles in there. He pocketed them and went further on his scavenger hunt.

The local park had more and, soon enough, Artemiy had a healthy supply of bottles and a strew of other various garbage lining his pockets. A conveniently placed water pump allowed him to fill the bottles up. Finding a menacing, hungover-looking fellow wasn't particularly hard.

A very useful bandage for 30 minutes of easy, albeit not very tidy work. There was still a little time, so Artemiy traipsed around for a bit more – he was starting to take to dumpster diving. Clean hands sometimes need to be dirtied, he knew that all too well.

Soon enough, however, it was time to visit Vlad Sr.

The interior was cozier than the warehouses and the graveyards that Artemiy met the day in.

It also seemed that Olgimsky wore his closer ties to the steppe folk on his sleeve. Or, rather, on the sleeve of his guestroom.

Vlad Sr., himself, was clearly expecting Artemiy.

I can guess who it is before me... I know about your tragic loss, my boy. I am Vladislav Olgimsky, boos.. I don't imagine you remember me, do you? At your service, of course – at your service... I didn't think you were still so young...

I'm not particularly young. Or, perhaps, you expected to see an old man?

No, no... Your father, however, was very old... I simply thought that the two you must look similar.

You were expecting me, were you?

Since not too long ago, yes... A certain lady, whose flair one can trust with certain certainty, announced that you will arrive in the coming days... But we will talk about that later. I am glad for our meeting... Artemiy Burakh.

I am the eldest in our line now. You may call me “servitor” or “Haruspex”.

Vlad Sr., rather pointedly, ignored Artemiy's last statement.

Artemiy Burakh... Yes, Isidore's death is an irreplaceable loss. Truly irreplaceable. However, seeing you before me... I'm not co certain in that anymore. Forgive the old man a callous joke, if you would... It pains me to tell you, but the death of your beloved father is only the beginning of your woes, Master Burakh.

Some hoodlums attacked me when I was getting off the locomotive.

I've heard, I've heard. These scoundrels, however, weren't waiting for someone to get off the train, but for one who wanted to get on it. You see, they were after a killer, who already has done plenty around here recently. They say, your father's death is on his hands, too...

You mean to tell me that my father was murdered?

That is one hypothesis, at the very least. Strange death... Although, he was waiting for it, yes? He let you know beforehand, didn't he... Died this very night, too. Hardly a coincidence for people, overcome with fear. They'd rather tear apart the one responsible than look for clues – the one responsible being you, of course.

And how am I to be involved, exactly? I've only just arrived.

The trouble is, that the people at the station thought you to be a murderer. Now, they've spread your features around. You are a remarkable, easily noticeable person, after all... And the mass hysteria makes for a good soil for accusation of a fast and loose nature. Fueled, again, by the visions of an influential lady.

You've mentioned her before – who is this influential lady?

A well-respected personage. Do you remember the Saburov family? Perhaps not, but Katherine isn't much older than you. Katherine, Alexander Saburov's wife, has some remarkable powers... prescient, you would say. No one doubts them, for they were tested many times over.

Has she foretold my arrival?

Not just that... Many horrors has she foretold in relation to you. Nothing concrete, mind you, and, compared to my deceased wife's powers, Katherine's powers aren't exactly... foolproof. They're enough, however, to rile up the fools after you.

Does the entire town suspect me?

Suspect? No. If only they'd suspect... They're certain, my dear Master Burakh, absolutely certain. You're being followed, and, until this panic dies down... you can consider the evidence against you to be irrefutable. Besides, the dead at the station tell their own tales.

What am I being accused of?

Of the death of those you've actually killed. You know, one can't prove self-defense in this situation. That's half your trouble, however. You're also being blamed for the death of Master Simon Kain, the ruler of this city. That's much more serious. And, of course, you're blamed for the murder of your Father, Isidore. That's three dire accusations.

I'm blamed for my Father's murder? That's completely insane!

Please, understand - everything has already tied itself into a knot. They're not looking for different murderers – the markings seem all the same, as do the circumstances. They met with each other yesterday, too. What else is there to say? Where there's smoke, there's fire. No time for deliberations at all – the murderer must be apprehended before he escapes!

I've only just arrived! On a locomotive, too.

Who was its driver, if you don't mind me asking? You won't remember, of course you won't. I know, however. My specialty, if you will. He won't confirm your alibi, trust me. He's half-human, and half-deaf, to boot. Besides, nobody knows how long you were here in secret. The prophecy was made ahead of time, after all.

I wouldn't wish such circumstances on an enemy...

The death of a ruler has riled up the people and made the Kain family that much more decisive... And one is better off not toying with these hawks... A heinous crime – patricide. One that you are yet to prove yourself innocent of. You're an outlaw.

How do I fix this, then?

Restore your reputation. The people here are simple, you see. Quick to anger, quick to mercy. You can rewrite your past many times over if you do the right things... No one will even remember. I wouldn't recommend any more murder, though. Not a lot of people around here, someone is bound to notice.

When I'm attacked, I defend myself.

Please understand, these poor folk on the streets are not to be blamed! Don't judge them too harshly. They have been shown the absolute evil for the first time in many, many years. They will change their mind, just give them time. Right now, you need to receive your inheritance, don't you? To do this, you need to prove your innocence first, right?

Yes.

My blessing won't be enough. These events have restarted many a feud, such a move would only be seen as more plotting on my part. Here's what I'm thinking – the Kains have entrusted the investigation to a strange man, a Bachelor of medicine. He arrived quite suddenly, from a faraway place, as if he knew what was about to happen... He is the one going after the killer for them...
You're saying I should meet with him?

They say he's rather fierce... If you would've found him before he finds you, then, maybe, he won't be shooting you on sight. I, myself, will also do my part. I'd let you stay here, but I'm fairly certain that someone will come for you soon.

Alright then – I'll go talk to this Bachelor.

Wait until the evening, if you would. He doesn't know whom he's looking for, yet. He'll only shoot first and ask questions later. You should work on rebuilding your name, instead. For now, go see my daughter. She's a smart girl... she has things to tell you.

I will take your good advice, thank you.

All this was a lot to take in, so Artemiy took out his now frequently used journal, and wrote down the pertinent bits.

The Murderer of Simon, The Murderer of Isidore

They say I'm guilty of patricide. The entire town is against me. Who will agree to speak with me? Who will tell me how to prove my innocence? Olgimsky tells me, that his children – Victoria and Vlad Jr. - can give me some advice...

Artemiy closed his journal and stepped outside. The entrance to Victoria's wing was on the eastern side of the house.

The space inside was a bit more open

Victoria herself, on the other hand, didn't look too open to Artemiy's presence.. for now.

Who are you? Why is there blood on you?

I am Artemiy Burakh, son and inheritor of Isidore Burakh.

Ah, so you are Artemiy Burakh. Haruspex, right? We have been waiting you for a while... I am Victoria. My father is Vladislav Olgimsky. My friends call me Kapella.

Are we going to be friends?

Of course! I mean, I hope so. Do you believe in premonition? Or preternatural senses in general?

I do.

I have a feeling that it won't be two weeks until our entire world will fall and be reborn anew. I will create new life and will sacrifice myself for the future. You will help me, right?

I hope you won't have to sacrifice anything just yet.

You have become a victim of a horrible mistake. I want to reveal something to you, however. You will need this in order to restore your name. I will give you the names of several people. All of them – children. Don't judge them according to their age, however. Some of them will help you immensely, trust me.

How will they do that?

All of them had frequent meetings with Isidore in the last couple of days. Perhaps, some of them know the identity of his true killer. Others, on the other hand, know that you are innocent. They are Adherents, too, you know. They won't be hasty in blaming the son for the death of his father... even if the clues say otherwise.

I'm glad to hear that.

They can help you figure out how your father spent his day last night. I only know, that, before his death, he spent a lot of time out in the Steppe and returned only late in the evening. Then, they all went to secretly visit him.

Why did they do that?

Do you know why they were so close with your father these last couple of days?

No idea.

The cause is a sad one. These children, my close friends and allies, are being hounded by death.

What ails them? Some sort of mortal illness?

No, but trust me. Your father, for one, trusted me immediately. You know, that he was wise and didn't trust easily, and he still checked on them every day. Such are the lines of their fate. The probability of death is higher than the probability of life.

Did my father foresee his death for the same reason?

I don't know...

What led you all to think this way?

Preternatural senses. Not just mine, mind you. Everyone was in agreement. Your father was, Simon was – I still can't get used to them being dead. Maria, Katherine. Everyone agreed. Please, take care of them, like your father took care of them. They must live! Simon and Isidore died, and that means that all of them are in the Death's shadow!

What can I do for them?

Just... don't forget about them and, if you can intervene in their fates, do so without hesitation. You aren't a simple man, either. You are the son of your father.

That's all there is to me, really...

Kapella handed him a scrap of paper, with seven names on it.

Whatever happens, these people must survive. Their fate is tightly intertwined with mine. Perhaps, in their hands, lies the key to my victory.

Mishka

Matchstick

Notkin

Laska

Kapella

Taya Tychik

Khan

Quite obviously, Artemiy has already met some of the children on this list, but not all of them. The names felt important – all these people carried a great weight. Within their hearts burned a colourful flame that Artemiy had to preserve in the coming days, whatever the cost.

It is scary and painful when you have been falsely accused, but there is only one escape – do more good and do less evil.

How?

You know, what my mother told me? About good and evil fate? If the evil fate touches a man, she jumps on his shoulders and leads him down its own path further and further – until he throws her off. The farther she leads him, the harder it is to return from that path.

That isn't anything new, really.

No. Evil fate gives you more and more evil deeds, so that you act on them more and more. Even an innocent deed given to you by evil fate may turn out to be evil, if she sits on your shoulders.

You think, she's sitting on my shoulders right now?

Of course! It isn't likely that you'll be able to do any good deeds now – but, at least, be afraid of the evil ones. I can even tell you where the evil deeds await you today. You trust my senses, don't you?

Yes. Tell me.

There is danger for you today in the graveyard, in the warehouses and in the steppe. Don't know what kind, but there is a chance that you will do evil things there today. It's better that you don't go there today at all. And don't listen to bad advice.

I'll think about that.

Many good people have turned away from you. The evil folk, on the other hand, are drawn to you. In this emptiness, you will be tempted to be closer to them. Don't make that mistake!

Artemiy mentally patted himself on the back for clearly managing to avoid some of the dangers foretold for him. The conversation was helpful, but Artemiy was at the end of his rope. He desperately needed some sleep.

Can I rest here for a while?

Of course you can. You can sleep on my bed... What about your house, though?

I don't have a house in this town, you're mistaken.

No, that isn't right. What about your father's house – the house in which Isidore lived. In the heart of the Curriers.

Show me where it is.

Wait, no! It's best that you don't go there right now. Because of what happened there, of course. I think I see it now – it's chock-full of Saburov's people. It's best you wait until they come to an agreement with my father.

I'll be waiting for news from you.

Before he would visit his father's house, Artemiy would visit the son of Vlad Olgimsky, Vlad Jr. First, however, he would grab a few hours of sleep that he so desperately needed.

Upon waking up three hours later, Artemiy found a letter in his belongings

Regarding Stakh Rubin

Your childhood friend, Stanislav Rubin – now, the best and most devoted student of your father, has sworn to kill you when he found out that you have killed your father for his inheritance.

Beware of him. This man is blinded by rage, desperation, vengeance and self-righteousness. He is very dangerous.

Always at you service,

Your well-wishers.

The letter was puzzling, to say the least, but Artemiy intended to take the advice. With new energy, he stepped outside.

Track 2 – The Knotts

Going to Vlad Jr.'s place meant going back near the Train Station

Having found the right house, Artemiy was about to enter it before he noticed some rather strange milk jugs on the cart.

As he entered, Artemiy could only hope that the blood belonged to an animal

The place wasn't cozy – it looked more like a storage shed than anything else

Vlad Jr, like everyone in this town, was expecting him

You, who is before me – I know you. You are Artemiy Burakh, right? This is lucky. In you, we hope to find support.

That depends on what you want me to support, exactly.

Our family has... big plans, shall I say – the first of which involves your recently deceased parent.

Then, I hope your plans coincide with mine.

Not the best start of the conversation from Vlad Jr. Nor the most delicate one. The young man clearly lacked his father's tact.

So, Isidore left you an inheritance. That's a mixed blessing if there ever was any, I'd say. I think, he wasn't very rich, was he?

I'd say he was downright poor. Still, I'd say that it's blessing enough.

Oh no, I didn't mean money. Knowing your esteemed parent, I'd venture to guess that it isn't just money that are in his inheritance. It is the inheritance of Burakhs, after all. Traditions of a family of healers let one presuppose that the inheritance consists mostly of... immaterial treasures. Isn't that so?

How do you know this, exactly?

Oh, but this is a very small town. Get used to it – all mysteries ,except those, for which one pays with lives, become public domain. Something always leaks through, somewhere, though the traditions of the Steppes are guarded more closely than others.

Well that's reassuring...

Speaking of traditions – I was always fascinated how you Burakhs were faithful to your obligations. For your entire family, obligations are a sacred thing. In particular, that can be said about your debts. An Oinon, a Wise Man, can't let the dead carry their debts into their graves.

That is correct. If that happens, the the line of the servitors loses its right to its hidden knowledge. A Haruspex with an unclean conscience isn't a Haruspex. That's how it was explained to me, at least.

Exactly right. You, however, don't seem to know the local customs very well, even though you come from a local family. You were taken away when you were just a child.

You seem to know more than I do. Why is that?

I'm simply fond of local folklore, that's all.

I'm talking about the private affairs of my father. How is it that you know what I will find in his inheritance?

Simple, logical conclusions allow me to guess that, within his inheritance, with all the priceless knowledge, unique concoctions and, of course, other material goods, you will find an obligation – a terrifying one, at that.

What kind of an obligation?

A very risky obligation – one of a very dangerous sort... If I were in your place, I would think twice before accepting this legacy. It seems that you, very well, may find a poisonous snake in this cherished gift basket.

Does this advice come strictly from the goodness of your heart?

Of course. I am the heir of the richest family around here. My interest in this matter is minuscule. I'm simply sorry for you. You were awaiting riches but, instead, you will receive a whole lot of trouble.

What do you know, master Vlad?

Only that, yesterday, this burden has broken your father's back. I don't believe the tales about that woman – the man-eater. No, I've heard the promise that he made. Promise that he has sworn to keep, on the honour of his line – that is, on your honour as well. This is why he summoned you – not because he was close to death, you see.

Do you know this for sure?

No. These are, simply, my observations and musings that allow me to put the whole picture together.. I am an observant fellow, after all. Regardless, that is my version of what happened. I can appreciate your eagerness, and I admire your principles, but you also have my sympathies. Think about it.

I am thankful, master Vlad, but I've already made my decision.

Vlad Jr. nodded. He clearly had an angle, but Artemiy couldn't quite glean its nature. Besides, his concern seemed genuine enough, so Artemiy didn't begrudge him too much for it. Every single damned person in this town had an angle, after all.

Having spoken with the Olgimsky children, it was time to visit the Stone Yard and talk to the man who trades in blood, as per Laska's request. He decided to cut through an otherwise unremarkable steppe and save time, this way. Coming up to the Stone Yard, however, Artemiy noticed a strange sight.

Artemiy knew quite enough about both architecture and physics to know that this structure defied certain natural laws. Isidore has always told him that defying the Law of Nature carried within itself a grave price. What was the price paid for this transgression, he wondered...

Finding the right house proved more troublesome than usual, for it was a rather unremarkable house.

The houses didn't carry within itself the grace that the living spaces of Adherents had.

Artemiy, checked the house room by room until he found the nice man he was looking for.

I think your face looks familiar...

I simply look like my father, that's all.

What do you want, botherer?

They say that you store donor blood?

No. You should know that one can't store blood outside of a living organism...

A wounded man needs blood.

If you're ready to give your blood, then do so. I'll pack it up for you.

I'm ready, that's why I came.

The procedure didn't serve to improve Artemiy's health, but, at least, he had what he came for. He made a note for himself in order to remember to give it to Laska.

The Surviving Factory Worker

I decidedly do not understand how can one perform a blood transfusion in these circumstances, but Laska, the daughter of the deceased Gravekeeper, took it upon herself to perform it. I simply need to bring her the blood I've managed to procure.

With this task done, it was, soon, time to start visiting his Adherents in order to finally figure how his father Isidore spent his last day alive.

HellishWhiskers fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 9, 2014

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

You should take up a job translating Russian content into English. This is so much better than what I had to try and read.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
This is great stuff, HellishWhiskers. Thank you. I'm really excited to see a native translation of the game -- and particularly the Haruspex :)

red mammoth
Nov 3, 2011

Stupid sexy Stalin!
Really excited about this LP. Pathologic is one of my favorite games, and I'm glad to see someone doing the Haruspex. The Devotress LP is pretty great, too. There was an older LP that ran through the Bachelor path, but it was never archived and all the images are broken. :(

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl
Thank you for kind words, folks - translating this stuff is, easily, the aspect I enjoy the most about doing this LP. The language is extremely weighty and nebulous and nobody says anything straightforward - which is especially jarring on the first couple of days, if you're new to this - so it's a special treat to bludgeon it into making a semblance of sense.

red mammoth posted:

Really excited about this LP. Pathologic is one of my favorite games, and I'm glad to see someone doing the Haruspex. The Devotress LP is pretty great, too. There was an older LP that ran through the Bachelor path, but it was never archived and all the images are broken. :(

I have a lot of time on my hands right now, although that will change drastically in the coming two-three months or so - maybe more, maybe less, it's weird - but, depending on how fast this goes, I may do the Bachelor scenario as well after I'm done with Haruspex.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I remember the old LP, but not well enough. I'm looking forward to where Haruspex goes in this city.

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl
Chapter One – Part 3

The first of the adherents that Artemiy would visit was going to be Notkin. The trek from Stone Yards to the Warehouses wasn't particulalry long, and Artemiy helped the kid out earlier in the day, so he was bound to be helpful in return. "Quid pro quo" wasn't a sacred rule in this town, but it was dependable enough.

This was Artemiy's first time in Stone yards in some time, and he couldn't help but note how well-off the houses were, compared to the rest of the city. Truly, a den of aristocrats and rulers.

It was time to leave the place behind, for now.

More defiance. This little Steppe town was prideful and, it seems, the time for paying for that pride was soon to come.

The rusted warehouses that provided Artemiy with shelter earlier in the day seemed to have quieted down.

The interior didn't change at all. Again. Artemiy was getting used to this strange form of stasis that seemed to affect everything around the adherents.

Notkin wasn't welcoming, but he wasn't cold either. He simply waited until Artemiy spoke.

Tell me, Notkin – was anybody looking for me around here?

Ah – yes, we had this nerd come around here... He sure was trying to look tough, kept his teeth clenched! "If I catch this killer, I will drain blood from him drop by drop – he ruined everything I worked for!"

You think he's dangerous? Hmm... Drop by drop, you say...

Well, that's what he said, at least. We told him there wasn't anyone like that here, we don't know any killer. "I'll go chat with the thieves, then" – he said. "They'll sell him to me for a silver coin..."

What else did the fellow say?

Said that he wasn't afraid. Said he knew that you already did in a lot of people, but you two would have a different conversation. After that, he turned out his coat, and showed me this big revolver.

I see – thanks, Notkin.

It was time to visit the thieves. Before that, however, Artemiy would ask Notkin about his connection to Isidore.

Tell me, Notkin – have you seen Isidore Burakh, my father, yesterday night?

Oh dear... So that's whom I've been talking to this whole time. My apologies, I didn't know. I thought you were just another vagabond. So, you already know that he was murdered?

I know, yes. You, too, seem to know. How?

Well... They say that a Steppe demon killed him. Shabnak. Bone maneater, you know? They say that, because, when they found him, there was a giant claw stuck in his chest. They say that it was her claw – it doesn't have to be hers, I say, but it definitely was a claw of some sort of monster... Or fang, come to think of it. Whatever – some sort of bone.

Monster? What monster?

A giant monster. A claw the size of an elbow. Crooked, boney, broken at the foundation. That's when the news spread that, from the steppe, came the bone maneater to punish us for our sins. Straight from the children's tales. Shabnak-adyr.

When was the last time you saw my father?

Our guys said that he returned from the Steppe, so I went to see him. He usually went out into the Steppe for a while. I thought, he'd tell me the news about the Bulls. I came, and there was this smoke in air – it stank horribly, like somebody was burning a big, wet blanket. The lights were on, but he wasn't home. He went to see Simon. Came back closer to the morning and chased me away.

Chased you away?

Stomped his feet, even! Said not to come close. I was very surprised, he's always been good to me. I thought I did something wrong, so I went back. That's when the whole thing with Toady went down. I only found out about the claw later, in the morning. Didn't see it myself.

Maybe, you think that I have claws like that too?

Ah, yes – I've heard all the slander about you. They told the people – go grab Simon's killer, he'll go to the Station. That was before the Claw, you know, they haven't found Isidore yet, then. Afterwards, they announced – there's only one killer, Simon was killed by Shabnak. That's when it all got mucked up...

Much obliged, Notkin.

It was clear that Notkin was extremely loyal, and would make a stalwart ally in the coming days. This thought heartened Artemiy immensely. Besides, he was closer to finding out the truth behind his father's death. Before visiting the next adherent, he would visit the Thieves to see how much they sold him out for.

The gents in the warehouse seemed to be a bit tired, compared to the morning.

Griff winked slyly at Artemiy as he approached. Artemiy decided to tackle the issue in a roundabout way, instead of asking about things head-on.

Anybody's been asking for me around here?

Ah yes – some sort of important doctor came this way. Not local. If he sticks around here, we'll have to make friends... probably. Could be a good replacement for old Isidore. But he won't stay, of course. And yes – he was looking for you! Was quite angry, too – and, in a hurry.

What did he say?

He said he'll kill you, what else! Dangerous type. A total egghead, but there's something wicked in his eyes. I wouldn't cross him, even if I had your brawn. It's best you'd be careful - his judgment will be quite swift.

I'm innocent.

You tell him that – that is, you can try, but he won't listen. He's swift to judge, that much is clear. In quite a bit of a hurry...

Where can I find him?

Well, if you aren't afraid, I can tell you where you can catch him. He isn't a stupid fellow, found a nice broad to pitch his tent near. We have this Eva, in the Stone Yard. Perhaps, you'll catch him there. It would be a real shame if you'd kill him, though...

You want to pit us against each other, don't you? Don't worry, we'll only talk. All's well that ends well...

One great thing about Griff was that he was very, very straightforward. Artemiy didn't know if Griff was aware how transparent Griff's attempts at intrigue were, but it was a nice change from the leaders of the town and their acumen at intrigue. It was 4 PM, and things should have been quieting down at his Father's house, so Artemiy decided to make that place his next destination.

Soon, Artemiy arrived to the winding structures of the Land.

Immediately, Artemiy spotted a house that was entirely different from the rest of the houses here. Must be somebody important, thought Artemiy. He went on.

This was the only place in the town that, so far, stirred childhood memories in Artemiy. It was becoming clear, however, that Artemiy was gawking, much to the chagrin of the locals.

He composed himself and went on. Soon, he came up to the walls of the Apiary.

The place was in obvious disrepair and reeked of desperation and meat. A horrible place full of misery that, Artemiy knew, would have to be visited many times over in the near future. He proceeded further, where his father's house was coming up around the bend.

One more turn, and there it was.

The gent at the door eyed Artemiy with suspicion that bordered on recognition – a dangerous combination.

Well now – why are you here, buddy?

And who are you, yourself, friend?

A guard, buddy. That's our task here. They've put me here, so I'm guarding... If we see someone suspicious, then it's time for some good, old-fashioned justice.

I see, I see – mind opening the door for me?

No can do... You see the lock here? It's sturdy, and the key was taken away by the guys who were called up for the Apiary blockade. So, no can do – no way, no how.

Blockade? What sort of blockade?

Someone tried to break out of there. The people are mighty restless in there.

Who tried to break out?

Not your business, friend.

And what are you here for, then?

Trying to catch a killer, who looked like a bull, dressed in leather clothes. Seemed to be the son of the deceased. And, funnily enough, looks like it's you, buddy...

I...

Artemiy didn't get to finish his sentence when the man swung at him.

There wasn't a whole lot Artemiy could do, but defend himself.

Unfortunately for the poor guard, he clearly bit off more than he could chew. Artemiy realized, with a sigh, that he would have to do more killing if he were to enter his father's house.

Father's House

Some apes that were guarding my father's house, have went to the Apiary. I wonder what they are doing there. Maybe, there was another murder there – all sorts of things happen in that wicked place... Regardless – they have the keys to my Father's house, and I have to get them.

Artemiy, not without a certain resignation, walked on to the Apiary to find the goons who held the key to his father's house.

Soon enough, he found them.

These two weren't nearly as verbose as their predecessor. They launched themselves at Artemiy, who wasn't in the mood for hand-to-hand combat anymore and decided to end the debate with the heaviest argument – an argument that he had found on the body of one of the men, who ambushed him at the station.

After he was done with the body, a local factory man, not batting an eye, went ahead and looted whatever was left on the body.

A strange sight indeed. Still, with the key found, Artemiy hurried back to the house.

Artemiy opened the door and, with a sense of trepidation, stepped in.

The house was infested with rats, so the first order of business was clearing them out. After that was done, Artemiy took time to take stock of his surroundings.

The boy looked tired, scared and confused, so Artemiy approached him. He had a lot of questions for him.

Wow! I've never seen you around here before? Did you crawl out of the Apiary, or something?

What, you know how to get in there now, do you?

I don't know, myself. That's supposed to be my area of expertise, too... Very unfortunate... I'm Matchstick, by the way.

I am Burakh, Isidore's son. You've definitely heard about him.

Whatever happens, please don't hurt me! Don't think I'm here to steal stuff, or something!

Well, what are you doing here, then?

Phew... I spent the whole night here! Saw amazing things, too.

Why in the hell did you get in here, anyway?

Well, you see... You see, we had, with the old man – I mean, with that dad of yours...you know – we were friends! He was the only one who bothered with us, wanted to teach us things when we grew up. He'd done a lot of of curious things, but he'd never show us us anything. Don't begrudge us our curiosity – he was a Servitor, after all.

So you got into his house to spy on him is that it?

Well, no – nothing that sordid! I thought, that he brought something interesting and creepy from the Steppe. We had so many things happen around here lately – I thought that he didn't leave for no reason. He always brought weird things from there... The clay head, for one, was amazing!

Hold on, now. Have you seen how he was killed?

Well, I don't have much to report on that front... I was sitting in the closet for a while, and the old man Isidore was pacing around the rooms for a bit, and then he had some visitors. I didn't hear much, and saw even less.

Well? Speak – what have you seen and what have you heard?

Well, at first, he was just mucking around and sighing, real heavy-like. Then, someone came – someone very heavy. Isidore opened the door for him immediately – he would usually ask who and why, but not this time... From the sound of his speech, it was one of the Steppe Folk. Very deep voice, very harsh. A butcher, probably. After that, everything went quiet.

How so?

About two hours passed, I've been in the closet for a while. Didn't sleep, though. I thought that he fell asleep, so I tried to get out – and he's right there, dead! I wasn't afraid, but, then, I saw something that made get back into the closet immediately. I didn't understand what I saw, though.

Come on, out with it!

It was dark, you know – the light was off, and it only got turned back on when the guards arrived. When it happened, however, there was somebody else here beside me. Looked like a woman – that is, it felt like a woman. Its silhouette, however, was amorphous – not like a person, but like a spirit!

What sort of hogwash is this? What kind of spirit?

I'm telling you! Its head was that of a woman, but its torso was formless, harsh - like a piece of dough... And she walked without noises, as if she floated... After that, some types came, started stomping and looking around – they all said that a Steppe creature came into town to feed! Shabnak-adyr!

The hell is that? Sounds familiar.

That? That is an evil spirit, from some Steppe tales. That is its official name, but it's usually called shabnak. That's the name around here for all things evil and mysterious.

I see...

We were watching him all night, me and Mishka. When we found out that he returned from the Steppe, I tailed him until the house and then snuck in here. Mishka lost him near the Station, around Vlad Jr.'s place. Ask her about it, she's probably sleeping in her wagon right now.

Hmm... where did they take him?

To the cemetery, I think. Ask Laska... He's, probably, already in the earth, though. These guards, they're also Steppe folks. You know it yourself, their rites. Earth won't wait for long, especially if it's a servitor.

I see... Now, get out of here.

The boy scampered away pretty fast for someone who was supposed to be as tired as he is. Regardless, the business with the Father's house was done. It was time for Artemiy to leave it behind.

Father's House

A boy was spying after the house... Some girl named Mishka was spying after my Father that night... They saw a ghostly woman in the house... What does it all mean?

With not a lot of answers, Artemiy headed to the graveyard, to see Laska.

Was this a circle for slaughter, or something else? The pen seemed to be too small for bulls, so what was it for? Strange thoughts clouded Artemiy's thoughts here...

Focusing on the matters at hand, Artemiy ducked into the Gravekeeper's lodge. The scene inside didn't change since the last time.

I'll have many new guests soon... I'll put one of them near the wall... Three others – under a small hill... There's a lot of space left on the other end, too...

She was clearly deep in her own thoughts, and they didn't strike Artemiy as being a cozy, safe space. First things first...

Here, I brought some blood for him. It cost me a lot, you know.

This was a good deed! I'll tell everyone about it!

I hope they'll listen to you...

The procedure that Laska performed was bizarre, and, even after seeing every step of it, Artemiy couldn't make heads or tails of it. “Some healer,” - he thought of himself .

the healed worker looked at Artemiy expectantly, obviously unsure of what to think about the events of this day...

Well, you dragged me out, friend. Why didn't you finish me off?

I did it for myself, not for you...

Words of an honest man! How can I serve you, now? Want me to give you something?

Tell me who sent you.

Well... it, sort of, happened on its own. The men said, somebody promised a reward for the killed. Maybe Kain, maybe The Big Vlad. So, the folks sent me to check out the Station. Otherwise, said, he'll escape. Said that he'll be waiting for a train and, poof – gone.

So, who was it? Kain or Vlad?

Well, I'm not sure. Vlad, I think it was Vlad. Nobody ordered me around, or anything. Everybody went, so I went too. Then, everybody started chasing after the bone maneater. We tried to rub ourselves with garlic – you know... After that... well – you know what happened after that...

Pfft... silly folks...

Artemiy was done with this fellow. He didn't begrudge him for his actions, sure, but he still thought the man a fool – not without reason, that's for sure. He turned to Laska.

Laska, have you seen my Father yesterday? Isidore Burakh?

Oh, yes – I saw him! I saw him when he returned from the Steppe...

Have you spoken with him?

No, I only followed him. He entered his house, but I felt, that he was worried. Desperate, even. He smelled of smoke. I didn't feel brave enough to knock, but I looked in the window.

What have you saw in there?

I saw how he took off his warm clothes, took them out into the yard and burned them. After that, he wrapped himself in some rags, then took them off and burned them too. He dressed after that and left. I went after him, called to him quietly, but he didn't hear. He went until the Stone Yard, then knocked on Simon's door. They let him in.

And, after that?

After that, I got back here. On the way, I visited Mishka and told her that old Isidore came back.

Mishka? Who is this Mishka?

She's a girl. She lives in a wagon. She doesn't talk much, though.

That's good, I don't like the chatty folks too much... Thank you, Laska.

The trek was a bit long, but it was the best lead Artemiy had. Before pursuing it, however, Artemiy would round out his journal entry about the factory worker.

Surviving Factory Worker

I did a good deed. This factory worker went from a slanderer to a defender. His talkativeness will surely help me now.

He set out to the Station, once again.

The bulls seemed restless, like animals reacting to the coming of a bad weather. Artemiy felt it too, as did every other living being in the town.

Artemiy remembered this little wagon here – nothing suggested that it was, in any way, remarkable or that anyone lived in there. He entered.

I saw you, you know.

You saw me?

I live here. See? This is my wagon..

Cozy...

You're very big...

Tell me, Mishka – did you visit Isidore yesterday? My father?

I did. Laska called me.

When?

At night?

You didn't sleep last night?

No. I rarely sleep at night.

What did you see?

I saw how he got back. He sat down, and sat for a long time. Didn't move. I think he fell asleep. Afterwards, I returned here. Saw how you arrived.

What? You saw how I arrived by the train?

Afterwards, you fought. I hid, and then I fell asleep

Between the time, when you got back and saw me – did a lot of time pass between that?

Yes. I even fixed my mousetrap.

If I bring some people, will you be able to tell them all this one more time?

I'll tell them.

Thank you, Mishka.

This was the alibi that Artemiy needed. He could finally prove his innocence. It was time to visit this doctor, the Bachelor, that supposedly hounded him.

He cut through the Steppe in order to reach the Stone Yards. The trip was quiet and the Steppe seemed much calmer than the town. Much more peaceful, if you will. Unlike the town, it knew its place in the world, its aspirations were tempered by time. Artemiy wished to do nothing more than lie down here and sleep. His duty, however, pressed him on.

He saw this house before. It seems that Artemiy had managed to avoid the Bachelor only narrowly. He opened the door and entered.

Artemiy approached the woman of the house to ask permission to see the Bachelor.

You have a wolf's eyes... Don't look at me so intently, please...

What is your name

You don't have to know my name...

Then, I'll have to give you a funny nickname.

Don't come close to me, or I'll scream!

Fine. Scream, then.

Artemiy shrugged and went about the house to try and find the Bachelor on his own.

On the second floor, the two men had finally found each other.

Yes... all things mystical are rather alien to me, but, when I look at you, I begin to feel that the nature is having some sort of sick joke at our expense. As if, the left and right hand have both taken hold of the head and have realized, for the first time, that they belong to a single whole...

That's the feeling I get, too – does that mean we're alike?

I don't know... We can become enemies so easily, Artemiy Burakh, that it's best that we our damnedest to be friends, until there is a fatal disagreement in our future. I am the Bachelor Dankovsky. Do we agree?

On what? That you're a Bachelor? Yes, we agree.

Dankovsky didn't laugh, offending Artemiy greatly. The joke was a fairly good one.

So, it seems that it was you whom they blamed for the murder of Simon Kain, Isidore Burakh, your father, and another fifteen people, whose names I won't remember?

Fifteen?

Yes. The more time passed, the more victims the man-eater seemed to have. A man-eater, whose description – which I don't have, mind you – supposedly matches yours.

It all fits, then, right?

I was chasing after you the whole day, and in the end, almost found you. Then, however, it suddenly became clear that, in the death of Simon – and, logically, in the death of Isidore – you weren't involved at all.

What led you to that conclusion?

Simon was killed by an infectious disease. That is a proven fact. Perhaps, a new strain of murex, or some sort of lung plague. Possibly, cholera. Whatever else, you are acquitted. That doesn't make our lives easier, though.

Speak for yourself – that will make my life considerably easier...

Let us wait until morning. Then, we will restore your rights, and take care of your inheritance.

Indeed, the morning is wiser than the evening.

It wasn't that late, but Artemiy's toils for the day were done. Until tomorrow, he was free. It was time to take care of his more immediate, bodily needs. Tomorrow will be a new day, full of its own passions and turmoils.

The Killer of Simon, The Killer of Isidore...

The terrible accusation has been proven wrong. My innocence is a fact. Now, the restoration of my good name is only a matter of time. I can finally take upon myself my Father's inheritance and wear my family name with pride.

HellishWhiskers fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 6, 2014

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl
Addendum A - The Nightly Attractions

...Are they gone? Ah...Yes... Ahem.... The nights in the little Steppe town offer a different sort of gameplay to the players of Pathologic. Different characters have slightly different opportunities during the night, and our dear Haruspex just so happens to be the fellow with the most of them!

Meet the bandit! These fellows are added to the "spawn pool" around the city at about 9 PM, while the children are removed from it around the same time. As you can see, these chumps have a very hostile attitude! Not just to the player, mind you!

Killing a bandit yields a small boost to reputation. Funnily enough, killing a bandit while saving a local townie does not yield more reputation. On their own, a bandit will usually kill a townie – which means that the player is encouraged to pounce at the bandit after he is finished fighting a townie. This might strike you, dear reader, as callous, but it's all very justifiable. You see, Artemiy Burakh has a passion.

Artemiy likes being a collector.

Artemiy loves being a collector.

Artemiy really loves being a collector! These won't have a very practical value until Day 2, but now is as good a time as any to stock up and expand his beloved collection.

Another seemingly callous thing lies in the fact that the game, by the virtue of its mechanics, encourages Artemiy to turn towards the banditry himself! Since you get boosts to reputation from killing bandits, and there is a hard cap on reputation, it is beneficial to kill passersby, take the hit to reputation that that action carries with it, and kill bandits to restore it.

Cruel, but lucrative and efficient! You can't go wrong with a dagger in the night. In addition to all of the above, the bandits, occasionally, carry on them a set of lockpicks, allowing Artemiy to perform nightly visitations into the surrounding houses.

Just a simple turn of the lockpick and...

When entering homes in such a fashion, the player can loot any container – cupboards, tables, closets, etc – they stumble upon and pick up any food items that are in the open. If they do so in view of NPC, the female NPCs will panic, while Male NPCs will turn to fight you.

The NPCs are rather forgetful, and will forget about your crimes when you leave the house and re-enter it. The player also does not take any reputation hits for stealing things in full view, making these raids very easy and lucrative. The only limitation on them is placed by the lockpicks – each lockpick can only be used once.

This pretty much sums up the activities available to Artemiy during the night, although they will expand slightly in the future. For now, enjoy a small production...

REEL 3: Masks' Nightly Production – Night One

HellishWhiskers fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Aug 7, 2014

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Man. Those are some creepy instructions!

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Dude's so tiny

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

Ghostwoods posted:

Man. Those are some creepy instructions!

Crap, I was sort of afraid of this. The text is mine, not game's - hence the fact that it is bolded and the fact that I stuck a mask portrait to it was my idea of a joke and also an attempt to talk directly at the readers without making it a text dump. Apologies for any confusion caused, if at all.

But yes, I love how the first day is about proving that you aren't a vicious killer, only for game mechanics to later encourage you to stuff your gob with human organs - figuratively, not literally, thankfuly enough.

HellishWhiskers fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 7, 2014

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

Every one of the protagonists has their own camera height. Dankovsky is actually a slight bit taller than most of the NPCs. Artemiy just happens to be the second tallest model in the game, if I recall. So he towers over nearly everyone else.

Also, HellishWhiskers, the tutorial was fine. Oddly enough, even though playing as Artemiy was brutally hard, I never actually resorted to murdering citizens. Letting them die to bandits, sure, but never killing them myself. For shame.

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

Sinner Sandwich posted:

Also, HellishWhiskers, the tutorial was fine. Oddly enough, even though playing as Artemiy was brutally hard, I never actually resorted to murdering citizens. Letting them die to bandits, sure, but never killing them myself. For shame.

I didn't do it... too much, I'd say - and I didn't need to do it, either - I'm good on the supply front. It's just that, if you get down and dirty with game's mechanics, though, then it becomes a good idea - otherwise, you're letting reputation boosts from bandits go to waste. Minmaxy, sure, but it's a tough living in the Pathologic world and, unfortunately, long-term-wise, the game doesn't do much to punish the character for it.

Plus, I mostly did it to show the inventory with 20 livers, kidneys and hearts in it, because the idea of Artemiy running around with tons of viscera in his pockets seems dumb and amusing to me.

HellishWhiskers fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 7, 2014

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

HellishWhiskers posted:

I didn't do it... too much, I'd say - and I didn't need to do it, either - I'm good on the supply front. It's just that, if you get down and dirty with game's mechanics, though, then it becomes a good idea - otherwise, you're letting reputation boosts from bandits go to waste. Minmaxy, sure, but it's a tough living in the Pathologic world and, unfortunately, long-term-wise, the game doesn't do much to punish the character for it.

Plus, I mostly did it to show the inventory with 20 livers, kidneys and hearts in it, because the idea of Artemiy running around with tons of viscera in his pockets seems dumb and amusing to me.

I don't even know how he fits that all in there. He must have organs literally overflowing from his pants.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, if it was a disease that would explain why Isidore was burning his clothes.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

I don't even know how he fits that all in there. He must have organs literally overflowing from his pants.

A conversation later implies that this is literally the case.

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

Sinner Sandwich posted:

A conversation later implies that this is literally the case.

I like to imagine Artemiy having a very serious conversation with one of the Adherents - one full of some horrible implications and intrigue - when it gets suddenly interrupted by a soft "squish" and Artemiy apologizing profusely as he picks up a kidney that slipped out of his pants.

Aleator
Jun 27, 2011

I am nothing but a blade, waiting for the perfect time to end an ancient warrior's pride.

HellishWhiskers posted:

I like to imagine Artemiy having a very serious conversation with one of the Adherents - one full of some horrible implications and intrigue - when it gets suddenly interrupted by a soft "squish" and Artemiy apologizing profusely as he picks up a kidney that slipped out of his pants.

I would've found it infinitely more hilarious if the Bachelor could do it considering which Adherents he deals with the most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Sinner Sandwich posted:

Oddly enough, even though playing as Artemiy was brutally hard, I never actually resorted to murdering citizens. Letting them die to bandits, sure, but never killing them myself. For shame.
I went on a murder spree with the Bachelor, killing bandits to improve my reputation...

The cries of small cherubs still haunt my dreams :smith:

• Locked thread