Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

Pastrymancy posted:

They're warming him up in the bullpen right now :psyduck:

And he got the last 3 outs in the 9th! Congratulations to the Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles for winning their first Japan Series!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fooly Cooly 25
Jan 18, 2005

Todo lo tuyo ahora es MIO
Hooray for the Eagles!

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I'm a Hanshin Tigers fan, so gently caress the Giants and I'm glad they lost. :getin:

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

So about 12 months ago, the Canberra Calvary were dead last in the Australian baseball league. This year, despite their payroll of roughly $45,000, they won the Claxton Shield (the ABL title) and with it the chance to represent Australia in the Asia Series, against champions of much higher-profile leagues like Korea and Taiwan. Surprised by the facilities in Taichung, much better than on offer in 'Straya (20,000 seat stadiums! Individual lockers! Toilets adjacent to the dugouts!), they just decided to have a little fun.

And you know what they did? Win the whole fuckin' thing.

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost
Didn't see a 2014 thread so figured this would make sense a place to post this, I guess?

I'm going to be in Tokyo for opening day of next season and looking at the schedule it appears there will be games both at Tokyo Dome and at Jingu Stadium. Should I make an effort to go to one of those over the other? Or just try and go to games at both?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I think I'm going to PM a mod soonish to ask to get the thread title changed, since this probably isn't fast or big enough to warrant yearly threads.

Unless someone else wants to make a new one and I'll close this one.

Either way, suggest some names.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Troy Queef posted:

So about 12 months ago, the Canberra Calvary were dead last in the Australian baseball league. This year, despite their payroll of roughly $45,000, they won the Claxton Shield (the ABL title) and with it the chance to represent Australia in the Asia Series, against champions of much higher-profile leagues like Korea and Taiwan. Surprised by the facilities in Taichung, much better than on offer in 'Straya (20,000 seat stadiums! Individual lockers! Toilets adjacent to the dugouts!), they just decided to have a little fun.

And you know what they did? Win the whole fuckin' thing.

And the half a mil prize money gets distributed evenly through the ABL too, so a nice benefit for everyone

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Seems like a good spot to post it, but the NPB announced their hall of fame class this year, it includes 2 former major leaguers and someone who probably could have been in the majors at one point: Hideo Nomo, Kazuhiro Sasaki, and Koji Akiyama

Hooray for Nomo and Sasaki :unsmith:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Right this second we have Game 2 of Day 8 of Spring Koshien going:
http://www.mbs.jp/senbatsu/live/

As well as Marines vs. Hawks:
http://www.justin.tv/gyon_hd602ch

Get excited!

e: Fighters v. Buffalos:
http://www.justin.tv/donsen6

Lions v. Eagles:
http://www.justin.tv/miyamu2

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Mar 29, 2014

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Kosuke Fukudome and Tsuyoshi Nishioka of the Hanshin Tigers had one of the worst outfield collisions ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QALAdIiOT60

Fukudome is staying in the game, Nishioka was down for over 10 minutes and was just taken off on an ambulance.

JackssWastedLife
Oct 30, 2006

fisting by many posted:

Kosuke Fukudome and Tsuyoshi Nishioka of the Hanshin Tigers had one of the worst outfield collisions ever.

Fukudome is staying in the game, Nishioka was down for over 10 minutes and was just taken off on an ambulance.

Oh my god...

They basically collided directly head-on-head so hard that one guy did half a back flip.

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

fisting by many posted:

I just saw the gifs you posted in the gif thread; that's terrifying. :barf:

I can only hope Nishioka isn't destroyed for life.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Not only did both of those guys spend time recently playing in North America, but while he was over here Nishioka was the recipient of a broken fibula courtesy of Robinson Cano very early in his first season with the Twins thanks to planting his leg hard on a takeout slide. Dude can't catch a--hrm. Dude is very unlucky

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

loving ouch. I hope he gets better soon. Apparently he has a broken nose, slight concussion, and a chest contusion, so it could be a lot worse.

On that note, @JNYakyu is a pretty good twitter to follow, especially for these kinds of things.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

This site has multiple stream links to every game every day. Some links don't always work but there's almost always at least one that does. They list the team names in Chinese however so you may have trouble deciphering them.

Also, non-juiced baseballs will finally begin circulating next week (Yes, the balls were juiced again this year, although this time it was the manufacturer's fault and it was discovered immediately through scheduled testing).

Finally, here's my favorite picture of the season so far. Naoyuki Uwasawa's face after losing a no-hitter in the 7th.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

So, for whatever reason, tonight the Tigers are playing the Giants while wearing Oakland A's colors...It's sort of strange.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

And Matt Murton just got out by being hit with a batted ball. Not sure I have ever seen that before.

It's the uniforms

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Crion posted:

Not only did both of those guys spend time recently playing in North America, but while he was over here Nishioka was the recipient of a broken fibula courtesy of Robinson Cano very early in his first season with the Twins thanks to planting his leg hard on a takeout slide. Dude can't catch a--hrm. Dude is very unlucky

Nick Swisher

Ryoji
Sep 1, 2012
Wow, this season Hiroshima carps have a good run! Finally!

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Something that took me an embarrassingly long time to realize: PA-TV, the pacific league's version of mlb.tv, only bans foreigners from actually subscribing to the service. You can still watch the free highlight videos from anywhere.

They upload a ダイジェスト (digest) video for each game as well as a bunch of highlights, or you can hover over the game score banners and click the bottom link to see all the highlights from that particular game

If you're a central league fan, this is the only time that site is going to be of any use to you as CL owners are all a bunch of greedy luddites and hate the idea of baseball being available on media platforms they don't own. Sorry :smith:

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

fisting by many posted:

Something that took me an embarrassingly long time to realize: PA-TV, the pacific league's version of mlb.tv, only bans foreigners from actually subscribing to the service. You can still watch the free highlight videos from anywhere.

They upload a ダイジェスト (digest) video for each game as well as a bunch of highlights, or you can hover over the game score banners and click the bottom link to see all the highlights from that particular game

If you're a central league fan, this is the only time that site is going to be of any use to you as CL owners are all a bunch of greedy luddites and hate the idea of baseball being available on media platforms they don't own. Sorry :smith:
It's finally paying off being a Marines fan. :smug:

For what it's worth though the service still works for me if I've got a foreign VPN active when streaming a live game. I wish it streamed in 720 or 1080, but since most people are probably watching on mobile devices I can understand a little bit why it's this way. It's a hell of a lot cheaper than MLB.tv too, so you get what you pay for.

Also worth pointing out you get something like a 33% discount on streaming if you're a fan club member for any PL team.

Gina like vagina
May 8, 2007

"Tears of the Mariners."

I think I read a review of that. Thought it was one of those baseball stories like "Pride of the Yankees", you know? But it's just about some crabby old sailors, stuck in this little town.
This might actually be worth learning about VPN's and struggling through the subscription process with Google translate if I can watch live Marines games. Thanks for the heads up!

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

This catch. Watch it. :aaaaa:

http://gfycat.com/BruisedInfamousAnnelid

video (requires Nico Nico account) http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm23735583

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

So uh this Shohei Ohtani guy can throw the ball fast I hear.

He decided to throw basically all fastballs in his one inning in the NPB's All-Star series because why not

all his pitches, in km/h

161 was the NPB record :stare:

(160 km/h = 100 mph)

Here's that first at-bat with the commentators going nuts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqCFexhfqZE

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I think one of the few advantages that the US standard has over the metric system is that 100 MPH is such an amazing round number for "holy poo poo that pitch is fast" while 161 is kinda just out there somewhere.

Like it's cool when Verlander used to hit 99 in the 9th inning, and when Chapman throws it 104 you poo poo yourself.

Crimson Sox
Jan 16, 2008

Bromance

fisting by many posted:

So uh this Shohei Ohtani guy can throw the ball fast I hear.

He decided to throw basically all fastballs in his one inning in the NPB's All-Star series because why not

all his pitches, in km/h

161 was the NPB record :stare:

(160 km/h = 100 mph)

Here's that first at-bat with the commentators going nuts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqCFexhfqZE

He's pretty good
A 19 year old who has a 2.23 ERA & 10.9 K/9
The best part, he plays OF on his off days and is batting .282/.345/.496 in 145 PA

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Crimson Sox posted:

He's pretty good
A 19 year old who has a 2.23 ERA & 10.9 K/9
The best part, he plays OF on his off days and is batting .282/.345/.496 in 145 PA

He's amazing. I will treasure my Calbee card forever

Speaking of noteworthy pitching, Shun Yamaguchi had quite a start today. In four pitches he managed to give up two singles and a double. Then the fifth one went off Kazuhiro Wada's head and got him ejected. His entire outing is memorialized in this grainy, 5 second long video.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

I'm not really into kokoyakyu but incredible moment from the finals of a Koshien qualifying tournament as Seiryo head into the bottom of the 9th trailing Komatsu Ohtani 8-0 and twenty minutes of magic later are headed to Koshien.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pj29HBpUqc

Highlights (because I'm the only one dorky enough to watch the whole thing)
6:30 - Seiryo player reaches 2nd on a strikeout
9:25 - 2 RBI hit (8-4)
10:55 - 2-run homer (8-6)
15:40 - Seiryo player dives into 1st to prevent game-ending DP (8-7)
17:55 - Tie game!
19:20 - Sayonaraaaaaaa

fisting by many fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 27, 2014

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I'm pretty excited for Koshien next month.

It is next month, right?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

fisting by many posted:

He's amazing. I will treasure my Calbee card forever

Speaking of noteworthy pitching, Shun Yamaguchi had quite a start today. In four pitches he managed to give up two singles and a double. Then the fifth one went off Kazuhiro Wada's head and got him ejected. His entire outing is memorialized in this grainy, 5 second long video.

This dude fuckin owns. I've watched him pitch and the crowd goes nuts.

Crimson Sox
Jan 16, 2008

Bromance

fisting by many posted:

I'm not really into kokoyakyu but incredible moment from the finals of a Koshien qualifying tournament as Seiryo head into the bottom of the 9th trailing Komatsu Ohtani 8-0 and twenty minutes of magic later are headed to Koshien.

both teams crying at this end :unsmith:
This is why Koshien owns

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

fisting by many posted:

Just caught this from one of the MLB twitter feeds, and watched the whole thing - pretty awesome stuff.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I might have a chance at attending a game in the last week in the season. Typically, how far in advance would I, a filthy gaijin, need to buy a ticket?

Furthermore, are there particular sections I should try to sit in? Would a tourist/non-devotee be ostracized in a certain cheering section?

If it helps, I'd be able to either catch Fighters @ Marines or Carp @ Swallows. I'd rather catch Carp/Swallows to see a bunch of malcontent old Pirates, but either would be awesome.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

ALFbrot posted:

I might have a chance at attending a game in the last week in the season. Typically, how far in advance would I, a filthy gaijin, need to buy a ticket?

Furthermore, are there particular sections I should try to sit in? Would a tourist/non-devotee be ostracized in a certain cheering section?

If it helps, I'd be able to either catch Fighters @ Marines or Carp @ Swallows. I'd rather catch Carp/Swallows to see a bunch of malcontent old Pirates, but either would be awesome.

The Marines and Swallows have the lowest and second lowest attendance in NPB respectively. You'll be able to buy tickets at the stadium before the game.

You wouldn't be ostracized but you would probably find it weird sitting in the outfield - those are the cheering sections and pretty much everyone in those sections are singing the cheer songs and going ape the whole time the other team isn't batting. But if you can pick up the songs I'd recommend it, sitting in the ouendan was the most fun I've ever had attending a total shitshow of a game. This page has most of the ones in use plus english lyrics for the Marines, I don't have a similar resource for other teams.

Typically the home supporters sit on the first base side and the visitor supporters sit on the third base line. This isn't really "strict" for sideline seating as obviously there are more home supporters, but if you sat on the third base side you would expect to see a few more visitor fans. It is strict when it comes to the outfield though. There's a home cheering section and a visitor cheering section. It would be weird as hell if you were in the wrong one.

This English site has a bit of information about attending a Swallows game.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

fisting by many posted:

The Marines and Swallows have the lowest and second lowest attendance in NPB respectively. You'll be able to buy tickets at the stadium before the game.

You wouldn't be ostracized but you would probably find it weird sitting in the outfield - those are the cheering sections and pretty much everyone in those sections are singing the cheer songs and going ape the whole time the other team isn't batting. But if you can pick up the songs I'd recommend it, sitting in the ouendan was the most fun I've ever had attending a total shitshow of a game. This page has most of the ones in use plus english lyrics for the Marines, I don't have a similar resource for other teams.

Typically the home supporters sit on the first base side and the visitor supporters sit on the third base line. This isn't really "strict" for sideline seating as obviously there are more home supporters, but if you sat on the third base side you would expect to see a few more visitor fans. It is strict when it comes to the outfield though. There's a home cheering section and a visitor cheering section. It would be weird as hell if you were in the wrong one.

This English site has a bit of information about attending a Swallows game.

Awesome, thanks a ton!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

So with justin.tv gone finding streams with Japanese audio just got significantly more difficult. If anyone has resources to help with this issue please post them.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

http://japan0002.chatango.com/

Has multiple links to most NPB games. Seems to be posted an hour or so before game time.

e: didn't see the japanese audio part :eng99: Well, they had j.tv links before, so maybe some links are japanese audio. I figure the people that were using j.tv will just move to ustream or something.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

No worries. It's better than nothing until a jtv alternative is found.
I did find one J-audio link in there tonight.

I put the link up in the OP.

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Aug 9, 2014

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Koshien begins in 3 hours! I believe you will be able to watch the games here: http://koshien.asahi.co.jp/cockpit/live/

The same site had been streaming it in previous years.

You can find the schedule here: http://yakyubaka.com/2014/08/06/862014-96th-summer-koshien-tournament-schedule/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I get unreasonably excited about seeing some teenagers throw baseballs for a long time, possibly ruining their arms.

• Locked thread