Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

For someone committed to the incessant whining bit you sure do love stamping your widdle feet about people with opinions different than yours

p laughable IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
But....you do that?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Watching some Lost episodes now. Jin sounds like a retard.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Aphrodite posted:

It might be a different Asylum film I'm thinking of, but apparently none of that appears in the movie.

Nope, all of it does and is important to the plot.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

For someone committed to the incessant whining bit you sure do love stamping your widdle feet about people with opinions different than yours

p laughable IMO

But you have an entire thread dedicated to that? I didn't think you'd take my feet stamping so seriously though dude, is it really that big of a deal to you that you can post about the Leftovers here? Because, silly reply aside, I honestly couldn't give much of a poo poo.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyway I just watched the first season of Utopia and you idiots were right okay?? It was awesome

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Where do y'all watch that and I'll take no replies to mean you're all illegally downloading it, for shame.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Bown posted:

Anyway I just watched the first season of Utopia and you idiots were right okay?? It was awesome

Yep. Seriously an incredible show. I'm saving Season Two to binge watch, along with basically everything else right now including Rectify and Nathan For You my two most anticipated shows.

zoux posted:

Where do y'all watch that and I'll take no replies to mean you're all illegally downloading it, for shame.

I watched it when it first aired but isn't it still available on 4OD if your in the UK/have a proxy? I was under the impression they didn't take shows down.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The first episode of season 2 is filmed in 4:3 and I love it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh jesus I was going to save season 2 to binge as well but I wanna know what happens soooo bad. Surely I can wait a week and two days?? Probably not

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

The first episode of season 2 is filmed in 4:3 and I love it.

I actually worked on the first season, though only building prop boxes for the big warehouse fire in the finale.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Oh hey you guys are watching manhattan too thats fun.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Bown posted:

Oh jesus I was going to save season 2 to binge as well but I wanna know what happens soooo bad. Surely I can wait a week and two days?? Probably not

Just wait. I watched the first three episodes of this season and it's killing me. I need to know now.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Just wait. I watched the first three episodes of this season and it's killing me. I need to know now.

Has it kept up the quality then?

In fact, for people watching them, how are Rectify and Nathan doing too?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Nathan is fantastic. I'll never look at Bill Gates the same way ever again.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

FilthyImp posted:

I just found out that Animation Domination HD got shitcanned.

Its a shame, because their animated shorts were pretty damned good poo poo.
what?! gently caress, Lucas Bros and Axe Cop were both great fun. I hope Adult Swim picks one or both up.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PriorMarcus posted:

In fact, for people watching them, how are Rectify and Nathan doing too?

Rectify has been an even slower burn than the first but is still fantastic, and Nathan is just....godly. Dumb Starbucks episode was the best yet.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Manhattan has Toby Ziegler angrily interrogating alleged spies inside of a giant sweatbox room.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gonz posted:

Manhattan has Toby Ziegler angrily interrogating alleged spies inside of a giant sweatbox room.

Richard Schiff is on that show? I may have to rethink my "No New Shows" policy then.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Deadpool posted:

Richard Schiff is on that show? I may have to rethink my "No New Shows" policy then.

It's a pretty good show. I say go for it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Deadpool posted:

You are the mod of the TV forum mate....

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Bown posted:

But....you do that?

Occ 'gon Occ.

Irish Joe posted:

For all the Leftovers talk going on in this thread, I still don't know what the show's about or why anyone would think its good. I mean, I know a bunch of people disappear and poo poo, but.. so what?

That bunch is 2% of the world's population which is like, maybe that bitch at work you hated disappeared and some of your facebook friends no longer post. Big whoop. But on the show everyone is milling about being moody for reasons? and a cult of silent people who chainsmoke are, y'know, extant. I quit after 2 eps and even that was being generous.

Even the wikipedia entry for the main character is hilariously dull:

quote:

Justin Theroux as Kevin Garvey, Jr., Mapleton's chief of police and father of two who is trying to maintain some semblance of normalcy in this new world. The breakup of his family (none of whom were taken in The Sudden Departure) puts more and more of a strain on him.

I mean come on.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

140 million people disappeared without explanation and 3 years later nobody has ever figured it out. There's also no reason to believe it was a one time event and it makes it seem everything is pointless since anyone can poof at any time. It's easy to see why the world kind of went to poo poo.

The show is really dull though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Mo0 posted:

what?! gently caress, Lucas Bros and Axe Cop were both great fun. I hope Adult Swim picks one or both up.

There were talks of Axe Cop showing up in the Sunday block. I think they had already completed a bunch of half hour episodes, so it would probably be something they throw in to burn off the episodes and if it does good they would continue it.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Mu Zeta posted:

140 million people disappeared without explanation and 3 years later nobody has ever figured it out. There's also no reason to believe it was a one time event and it makes it seem everything is pointless since anyone can poof at any time. It's easy to see why the world kind of went to poo poo.

The show is really dull though.
Except the thread is basically anyone who got mad about the ending of LOST and wants to scream out to the rest of the world that Damon Lindelof personally touched them in the junk in a sexually threatening manner.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

Oppenheimer is a minor character

Also no, they're avoiding misattributing major scientific advancements to people who don't exist, so there's this very dark sense of cynicism to the entire proceedings because you know that fundamentally none of them will succeed, despite the entire main cast chock full of geniuses.

Anyways yes, the show is absolutely incredible and is a must watch, then main character is played by an absolutely incredible actor

Historical spoilers: Both the trinity gadget and fat man were compression bombs, which they are designing

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Fooz posted:

Historical spoilers: Both the trinity gadget and fat man were compression bombs, which they are designing

I gathered that the current conflict was between the "gun" trigger and the implosion trigger designs but they really haven't said much about the specifics (as of episode 1).

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

Has it kept up the quality then?

Honestly, a few parts seem a little forced to return to the dynamic of the first series. But everything with Jessica is great, and all of the other factors like the music and cinematography are maintained.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

zoux posted:

Youtube has the first season, haven't seen the second season on there yet though.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Honestly, a few parts seem a little forced to return to the dynamic of the first series. But everything with Jessica is great, and all of the other factors like the music and cinematography are maintained.

Care to explain further what you mean in the Utopia thread? I'm having a hard time figuring out which parts you're talking about.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

whowhatwhere posted:

Care to explain further what you mean in the Utopia thread? I'm having a hard time figuring out which parts you're talking about.

Yeah sure.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

In case you didn't hear, Jim Parsons, Johnny Galecki, and Kaley Cuoco signed new contracts for $1 million per episode for BBT's remaining 72 episodes. Total compensation could reach $100 million: http://www.deadline.com/2014/08/big-bang-theory-stars-jim-parsons-johnny-galecki-kaley-cuoco-close-big-new-deals/

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

I want a job on a multicam sitcom. :(

Award acclaim and money.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I also lie awake at night fuming that McDonalds makes more money than my cool local restaurant and that Bud Light is enjoyed by more people than my favorite microbrew.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
So, I haven't been following the Couch Chat thread closely lately (or at all) - but I'm popping in to ask a question about The Leftovers. (A quick CTRL-F on this page reveals that I may have come at a bad time...)

Anyway, I just watched the first episode, and it's weird and completely baffling... Do they start slowly digging into "hey why are these people gone" or is it just more weird teenage sex parties and people being mopey and crazy that their neighbor's cousin disappeared? When the episode ended and I saw Lindelof's name come up, I quickly decided that I needed to know if it was going to go anywhere before I continued.

Simply put, do they deal with the mythology or is it a character piece?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Tuxedo Jack posted:

So, I haven't been following the Couch Chat thread closely lately (or at all) - but I'm popping in to ask a question about The Leftovers. (A quick CTRL-F on this page reveals that I may have come at a bad time...)

Anyway, I just watched the first episode, and it's weird and completely baffling... Do they start slowly digging into "hey why are these people gone" or is it just more weird teenage sex parties and people being mopey and crazy that their neighbor's cousin disappeared? When the episode ended and I saw Lindelof's name come up, I quickly decided that I needed to know if it was going to go anywhere before I continued.

There's literally no explanation as to where the people disappeared to and why. It's mostly a charater piece. But it's been getting very interesting as of late. Last night's episode was pretty drat good.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Tuxedo Jack posted:

They're explicitly not dealing with the mythology, and unless they change direction, they never will.

It's a very inconsistent show. It's had some great parts and some laughable ones too.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
That's all I needed to know. I'll skip the rest.

Also, I recently discovered this reality show Face Off about makeup special effects - it's addicting.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Tuxedo Jack posted:

It's a character piece, but the characters are boring and stupid and mopey.

The first episode is like Dexter Season 6. It goes downhill from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Slamhound posted:

It's a character piece, but the characters are boring and stupid and mopey.

The first episode is like Dexter Season 6. It goes downhill from there.

Okay, I'm perfectly happy to admit that The Leftovers is a hard show to like and as such I have zero interest in defending it. But comparing it to Dexter Season Anything? gently caress right off.

No matter how many words you write, no matter how many times you deploy subjective buzzphrases like "leaden dialogue" and "stupid characters" and "ham-fisted storytelling" and how throughly you back those words up, it will not ever change the fact that the show about the effects of a Rapture-like event on humanity as seen through a cross-section of a small town, and the show about a heroic serial killer who kills other serial killers, are alike in only two ways: Both are hourlong programs made for premium networks, and both are shows you don't like. Trying to tie the two together in any other way is going to make you look like a hyperbolic idiot.

"I loving hate The Leftovers. I can accept not having any insight on what happened, but I don't give a poo poo about these lovely people and their lovely attitudes toward their lovely world." Says the exact same thing in a respectable, unimpeachable way, without the sad suspicion that you're trying to score cool points by comparing a so-far critically respected TV series to what's widely regarded as one of the worst seasons of television ever produced.

...God dammit. If SpiderHyphenMan's an rear end in a top hat about Korra, I guess I'm the guy who's an rear end in a top hat about The Leftovers. At least now that Occ's not allowed to talk about it in this thread.

• Locked thread