Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Sounds like it varies heavily on location. Here, if you ignore it and manage to not get pulled over for anything else / otherwise served, after two years they just file it as dead. Part of it is they need you to either admit to driving the car, or tell them who actually was, even with photos.

In Illinois they issue a ticket in the mail, if you ignore and don't pay it and they decide not to suspend your license and or go after you for the moving violation, they just put a "non-payment" mark on your credit and send it to collections.

Pro-tip, never sign a car loan for a girlfriend, they'll get ticket/moving violations and even though you're not the registered owner of the vehicle when it comes down to the money bits it always ends up in your lap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Had been out of the country for two weeks and finally got to drive the Genesis again late last week. Friday morning was calm and foggy when I got to work.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Wow, I'm quite surprised at the leniency over there. As far as I'm aware in New South Wales they'll send you a notice, a final notice then some letters from.the State Dept Recovery office or similar that has the right to forcibly collect the money or seize assets, cancel your license or registration.

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles
My Little Pony looked clean and fat this morning so I took a pic.

Here she is with her older sister; a 99 Cobra with 20k miles on the dash. Get's driven about 10 times a year but my neighbors sure do love it when I fire her up! *gurgle-gurgle-gurgle*

And here is my 99 Z28. 198k miles on the dash but still going strong on the factory LS1 and transmission. I bought that car in fairly poor shape from a police auction when I was 16. Right now it's just sitting in my driveway unregistered but I just don't have the heart to part with it. I pretty much learned everything I know about cars maintaining it through the years and goddamn I'd be lying if I said there's no bond between a man and his first car.

As for license plate chat, New York is one of those awesome states that mandates a front plate. I had nowhere to attach the plate so I went with one of those cool holders that slides in and out from under the bumper that was mentioned on the previous page. Highly recommended. (Sorry for the lovely blur)

P.S. I never understood the Mustang and Camaro debate and I get crap from Chevy and Ford fanboys from time to time. I just love muscle cars. They're both unique in their own ways and provide for a different driving experience.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
So I detailed and cleaned up my new $900 Audi today.

It's practically rust free for a car that's spent 20 years in the upper mid-west.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Toymachine posted:

As for license plate chat, New York is one of those awesome states that mandates a front plate. I had nowhere to attach the plate so I went with one of those cool holders that slides in and out from under the bumper that was mentioned on the previous page. Highly recommended. (Sorry for the lovely blur)

Wait, what? Is it activated from inside the cab with a toggle switch, hopefully underneath a flip-up fighter jet switch safety cover???? :ohdear: Because if it is, I have been tossing around the idea of fabricating something like that with an old PC CD tray for years. If there's an actual kit you can buy, I need a link.

Your Mustang looks good. I almost bought a GT 5.0 some years back when they first rolled out, but I went with an E46 330 Coupe. I don't have a recent picture of that, but I do have a recent picture of my beater project '88 Cherokee being awesome after hauling me up San Jacinto Mountain at speed (not pictured: old freeze plugs bleeding coolant :cry:)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

G-Mach posted:

So I detailed and cleaned up my new $900 Audi today.

It's practically rust free for a car that's spent 20 years in the upper mid-west.

On the 80s Audis (excluding the 4000) they really went to town with rust protection. The 5000 was fully galvanized, seam sealed, filled with cavity wax and then painted with several layers of colour and clear.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

On the 80s Audis (excluding the 4000) they really went to town with rust protection. The 5000 was fully galvanized, seam sealed, filled with cavity wax and then painted with several layers of colour and clear.
It's a 94 100.
Yeah it's pretty amazing to see a 20 year old car be so rust free in Wisconsin. The underbody is ridiculously rust free.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Yeah, the 100 is the 5000 with a slightly redesigned body (and many other improvements) to get away from the old car's unintended acceleration infamy.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
In CA it's a fix-it and I'll take the annual $10 to not drill holes in my bumper.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Das Volk posted:

In CA it's a fix-it and I'll take the annual $10 to not drill holes in my bumper.

Yup. Also a good investment to not give lazy cops a flat reflective surface to bounce laser off of.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Ziploc posted:

My sister is dying to buy one of these. But I worry about their reliability. How much research have you done?

meatpimp posted:

Rightfully so. The car itself isn't that bad, but the packaging is so tight that maintenance/repair on my wife's S made me want to cry.

Crustashio posted:

Is the packaging better without the supercharger/turbocharger in the way? The early non-S models can be had cheap these days and are supposed to be decent handlers.

Sorry for being late, buying a house and moving twice in 2 months (with a two week vacation in between where we drive from Palm Springs to Portland and back) made me forget about this thread.

That said, so far I have been really happy with it. Sold my WRX, the old Suzuki Swift is next on the chopping block, so this has become "our" car. Gets good mileage, about 30-32 in city and over 40 when only freeway driving. Maintenance hasn't been an issue yet but I am dreading the day I have to do anything because of how tight everything is under the hood. Belts, hoses, pretty much anything other than the battery requires removal of the front bumper from what I have read. Changing the oil is going to be a bitch because of how the dipstick and oil pan are designed, do not take it to jiffy lube. Brake discs/rotors are replace only by manufacturer*, so no turning+replace pads. But if I don't think about that at all, it handles like a dream, I don't really miss the turbo except when climbing 74 towards Idylwild, and it is roomy enough for the two of us, a big cooler, a large duffel bag, couple smaller bags, and a 50lb dog in her own seat!

* Manufacturer specifies to replace discs/rotors

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

Cross posting from BMW thread;

I got my poor man's BMW and kept the change ready for it to explode within a week;

320i 6-Cylinder SE Touring, Full BMW History, Front suspension arms recently replaced and no rust. Cooling system is ready to detonate I'm sure...

Negatives;
Some peeling lacquer off the rear bumper, passenger side door squeaks when opening and looks like I have a rocker cover gasket to replace and some wheel speed sensors to clean/replace.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I feel manlier just looking at this picture.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I broke out the clay bar. My grey car is now a white car.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Ended up going up some gradients it probably wasn't inteded to encounter today but managed them all the same

Why cavemen decided to put a stone circle so high up a hill is another question though

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

freelop posted:

Ended up going up some gradients it probably wasn't inteded to encounter today but managed them all the same

Why cavemen decided to put a stone circle so high up a hill is another question though

With that expression, it looks like it's fiendishly masturbating in the bushes and staring down other, smaller cars as they drive by.

You have one creepy loving car.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

With that expression, it looks like it's fiendishly masturbating in the bushes and staring down other, smaller cars as they drive by.

So cars really do look like their owners!

I always hated that grin when my parents bought the car, then when it became mine it wore off because it is a nice car to drive

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

El Scotch posted:

I feel manlier just looking at this picture.

Quick, put on some flannel!

I can't un-see it!

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Wait, what? Is it activated from inside the cab with a toggle switch, hopefully underneath a flip-up fighter jet switch safety cover???? :ohdear: Because if it is, I have been tossing around the idea of fabricating something like that with an old PC CD tray for years. If there's an actual kit you can buy, I need a link.

http://www.hidetheplate.com/

They have a manual and electronic version. Been thinking about getting one myself as the meter maids will ticket you for it in downtown Portland.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Smaller cars?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

dphi posted:

They have a manual and electronic version. Been thinking about getting one myself as the meter maids will ticket you for it in downtown Portland.

What's the fix-it fine in Oregon for this anyways? I'm running the Saabaru without a front plate right now. I relocated the Miata plate but am tempted to do away with it altogether.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Driving appliance alert! First ever new car for me or my wife, a 2016 Hyundai Sonata.

I'm sure you don't mind too much about the lovely picture since it's.... a sonata.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Future wife has a Sonata. For a commuter appliance, its a nice ride. Nothing spectacular, but looks good and has been super reliable.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

:ghost: Ghost postin'. :ghost:

Edit: I may have hosed this up.

Yes, I am a retard.

Content: My Abarth changed color, got bigger shoes, stripes, and a roof.

Shrapnig fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 4, 2014

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Shrapnig posted:

Yes, I am a retard.

How do you like it? The auto program at my school has one to work on and I really like it except when I am seated comfortably the roof goes too far forward and blocks my view of most street lights if I am in front.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

El Jebus posted:

How do you like it? The auto program at my school has one to work on and I really like it except when I am seated comfortably the roof goes too far forward and blocks my view of most street lights if I am in front.

I had a cabrio before I picked that one up(today) and I've had the same experience as you but it's not really that big of an issue for me. The seating position definitely takes some getting used to.

Going from a cabrio to a hatch has made a huge difference in rear visibility, I actually have a functional rear window now which is nice.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

dreesemonkey posted:

Driving appliance alert! First ever new car for me or my wife, a 2016 Hyundai Sonata.

I'm sure you don't mind too much about the lovely picture since it's.... a sonata.

Wait what?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

He made a typo

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I'm from the future.

But yea its a 2015.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Shrapnig posted:

Yes, I am a retard.

Hey, brand new Abarth buddy! :hfive:

Retired the S4 wagon from DD duty and got this as my new DD:

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

blk posted:

What's the fix-it fine in Oregon for this anyways? I'm running the Saabaru without a front plate right now. I relocated the Miata plate but am tempted to do away with it altogether.

I honestly don't remember as it's been a while. I've run without plate here for 12+ years and have only got a few tickets on traffic stops during that time.

The tickets you get from the meter maids are treated like parking tickets though, so you have to just pay the fine. It's like $40 or something as opposed to the $130 or whatever ticket you get from a real cop.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

El Jebus posted:

I can't un-see it!

I can't un-see it either.

Peugot Something-or-Other: the car of perverts.

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles

dphi posted:

Yep, that's it. I would go for the manual one over the electronic version. I heard some bad things about the electronic ones crapping out fast.

I bought it from here, it's 10 bucks cheaper with free shipping.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/flipdown-licenseplate-manual.html

NYC front plate laws are pretty strict and god forbid you go through a checkpoint without one. You might've not been drinking but the NYPD will assume you're a drunk, convicted felon with kidnapped kids in the trunk and ask questions later. It might be a $55 "fix it" ticket but you're essentially driving around with a big "FEEL FREE TO PULL ME OVER HERE'S YOUR PROBABLE CAUSE" sign on your vehicle. I'll drill those 3 holes underneath my bumper to avoid that.

Toymachine fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 5, 2014

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Toymachine posted:

Yep, that's it. I would go for the manual one over the electronic version. I heard some bad things about the electronic ones crapping out fast.

I bought it from here, it's 10 bucks cheaper with free shipping.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/flipdown-licenseplate-manual.html

NYC front plate laws are pretty strict and god forbid you go through a checkpoint without one. You might've not been drinking but the NYPD will assume you're a drunk, convicted felon with kidnapped kids in the trunk and ask questions later. It might be a $55 "fix it" ticket but you're essentially driving around with a big "FEEL FREE TO PULL ME OVER HERE'S YOUR PROBABLE CAUSE" sign on your vehicle. I'll drill those 3 holes underneath my bumper to avoid that.

Another reason not to live in NY.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
First car purchase:

I'm so in love with this thing

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

dk2m posted:

First car purchase:

You have chosen... wisely.

'06 or '07?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

dk2m posted:

First car purchase:

gently caress you I am so jealous. I just sold my 02 because the wife made me the transmission broke. I'm using it as an excuse to also dump the Swift and buy a bike.

dk2m
May 6, 2009

Fifty Three posted:

You have chosen... wisely.

'06 or '07?

It's an '07! I was always hesitant about even looking at these things used because they are invariably ragged on, but finding a one owner example with all the work receipts? Snagged it immediately.

El Jebus posted:

gently caress you I am so jealous. I just sold my 02 because the wife made me the transmission broke. I'm using it as an excuse to also dump the Swift and buy a bike.

As an unmarried male twentysomething, my insurance basically doubling was by far the most :stonklol: ever. So uh...don't be too jealous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Trust me, it'd be worse with a WRX. When I took my 06 wagon off, the insurance I saved covered every other car (with liability boosts all around) and the house.